• Published 15th Apr 2015
  • 1,392 Views, 44 Comments

Where Did I Come From? - bahatumay



One day, little Goldenrod asks Applejack where she came from. Applejack has to answer.

  • ...
5
 44
 1,392

Home Again

“And you've been with us ever since,” Applejack finished. “The end.”

“That was a fun adventure!” Goldenrod cheered. Then she paused. “So am I an earth pony because you gave more blood than mom?”

“Well, Rainbow Dash has some earth pony in her, too. Remember pictures of great-grandma Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah.” Goldenrod giggled. “She wore her mane funny.”

“She did, didn’t she?” Applejack agreed. “But back then, she certainly thought she looked-” here she put on her best fancy impression, “-‘glamorous!’”

Goldenrod giggled again at Applejack’s antics, and Applejack found herself joining in.

“Well, it’s late, and it’s time for little ponies like you to be asleep.” She gave Goldenrod a kiss on the forehead and she settled deeper under the covers. But as she turned to leave, Goldenrod's little voice came once more.

“Mama? Will you ever tell me where I really came from?”

Applejack sighed and looked down at the ground. She’d known all along that Goldenrod wouldn’t have accepted her story as truth; and to be honest, she didn’t really expect her to, anyway. She turned back towards the filly, crawled back onto the bed, and pulled Goldenrod into a hug. The truth came spilling out. “Ah know where you came from. Rainbow and Ah both know, and we were both part of it, and a whole lot of other ponies were involved, too; but Ah don't really want to tell you that story. You're young, and you don't need t’ worry about any of that. Just know that you're our daughter, you're perfect, and ain't nothin' can change that.” She released her and waited.

A few heart-stopping moments later, Goldenrod smiled and nodded. “Ok, mama,” she said, leaning up to give Applejack another hug.

Applejack let out a sigh of relief and hugged her daughter back.

* * *

Applejack had barely cleared the room when she ran into Rainbow Dash, hovering impatiently in the air. “I couldn't hear, what'd you tell her?” she whispered.

“The truth,” Applejack answered.

Rainbow dropped to the ground in surprise. “You told her what?” she hissed.

“Ah told her Ah didn't want to tell her.”

Rainbow paused and processed this. “And she accepted that?”

Applejack nodded.

Rainbow let out a relieved sigh. “Oh, thank Celestia,” she breathed. “I really don't want to tell her that story.”

“Yeah,” Applejack agreed, “I hear you there.”

Rainbow turned and headed towards the kitchen. “Let's go get some ice cream, shall we?”

Applejack smiled as she followed Rainbow Dash. As they walked, she wrapped her tail around Rainbow's, and Rainbow quickly returned the sign of affection. As they ate their bowls of mint brownie chunk and cookie dough ice cream, respectively, both couldn't help but think back to the strange series of events that had led to Goldenrod coming into their lives.