• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 24,404 Views, 663 Comments

Satellite Lovers - whatmustido



You marry the love of your life. It just happens to come with more baggage than you'd like.

  • ...
69
 663
 24,404

Chapter 7

Two days later, you found yourself standing in front of a large dog, one that looked vaguely like a German shepherd, if one could walk on two legs and carry a halberd and large round shield. He also had a breastplate, a helmet, and a set of pauldrons on. You don’t know why the rest of his body was bereft of protection, but you figured he’d tell you eventually.

“Hello,” you cautiously said. You had been told where to meet him, so there was no one else in the small sparring room but you two. “I’m Anonymous.”

“Hello, Prince Consort,” he said with a small bow. “I am Rin Tin Tin. I have been hired to instruct you in the art of self defense.”

“Yep. Honestly, I don’t see a need for it, but my wife… wives insisted. I doubt anyone’ll be gunning for me.”

“But if they do, it would be wise to be able to stop them.”

“Their rebuttal,” you said with a nod. “Which is true. And knowing a few basics is never a bad thing. Are you gonna teach me to use a halberd?”

“Oh, no. You want to learn how to defend yourself, not how to fight.”

“...It’s probably obvious to you, but what’s the difference?”

He smiled, showing off his teeth. “Fighting is attacking the enemy with the intent to kill. Generally speaking, if you plan to get in a fight, you’ll be carrying weapons. Self defense is fighting the enemy with the intent to disengage, either to escape or to find a better warrior than yourself to assist you. Your goal in a fight is to beat the enemy. Your goal in self defense is to escape unharmed. I will be training you in unarmed fighting, mostly. If you progress quickly enough and you desire, I might teach you to use a dagger. But I was told that you are not a violent… being, so we will likely stop when I deem you proficient in unarmed combat.”

“Alright. How long do you think it will take?”

“I can’t know that. Some take to fighting better than others. Some have bad habits ingrained in them that must be broken. But I can teach you the bare minimum required to survive an attack by a common enemy in two weeks, assuming we meet once a day, minus a few breaks. I can teach you more advanced moves in two months. But there is always more to learn and more to practice. To teach you all I would like, you would be learning for a lifetime. But I will probably deem you as proficient as required in half a year.”

“Being royalty sucks.”

“I would happily trade positions. Do you have any questions before we begin?”

“Why are you only half-armored?”

“For agility. The most important parts of my body are protected, and I can still move easily. With my weapon of choice, that means I can generally stay out of reach of most weapons.”

“Makes sense, as long as they don’t have really good archers.”

“...I have pulled more than a few arrows out of my flesh, I’m sad to say. It is part of why I started carrying a shield as well.”

“Are you one of the auxiliaries? I haven’t seen you around the castle, but you seem more like a warrior than a guard.”

“I am a mercenary from Chowhu, far to the east. I was on the way to the nearby Diamond Dog Mines to look around for jobs when I heard a princess was hiring for a cushy position. Teaching nobles is a lot easier and safer than fighting changelings.”

Unless you died despite your training. Then he’d be better off fighting a horde of changelings, because Celestia would probably skin him alive.

“Are you sure you can teach me?” you asked next. “I mean, I’ll try to learn whatever you try to teach, but we’re shaped a little differently. I also don’t have overly dangerous teeth.”

“I’m sure that I can try. From a basic glance, you are less muscular but more agile than the common warrior in my lands. You will also be unarmored, increasing what you can do even more. So teaching you might actually be easier, since my lessons will involve less strength and more dexterity.”

“Makes sense, I guess. I can’t think of any others.”

“Then it is my turn for a question. Do you have any experience with this in the past?”

“I’ve been in a few small fights several years ago, nothing serious. Never had any training.”

“Good. Hopefully you will have few bad habits. Give me a moment.” You shrugged and he walked over to a wall to set down his shield and weapon. When his hands were free, he started removing his armor, beginning with the helmet and ending with him naked in front of you. “Are you in good shape for your species, Prince Consort?”

“I’m in a decent shape. I started metalsmithing a few days ago, so I’m a little sore from that. But it showed me that I have alright stamina and that I’m strong enough to slam a large metal hammer on a metal plate for hours.”

“Good, then I will not need to waste time getting you in shape. But we will need to limber up. So let’s do a few basic calisthenics…”

By the time you finished lunch, you were barely feeling alive again. It was just in time to get destroyed again by more metalworking.

Life is hard.

When you got there, Goldilocks was sitting at her couch, staring at a letter. You practically fell into your chair and sighed, “Life is hard.”

“Was this you?” she demanded, thrusting the letter at you.

Since it was already open and thus not a felony to read, you took it and read it over. It was the invitation to Luna’s court thing. “Yes and no,” you replied, passing it back.

“It’s either yes or it’s no, Anon. Wait, why are you already so sweaty?”

“I started self defense training today. A few nights ago, I spoke to Luna about the potion. She wanted to know any side effects and I told her. She said that… since you helped her test it and helped me by volunteering your body, she’d send you an invite. I told her that was the wrong reason to invite someone to a really big art show and that, while you’re good, you’re still just an apprentice. She replied that anyone that’s good enough to get hired at the palace is good enough to get an invite to the first week, but after that, it’s up to them to get invited back.”

“Huh.” She looked back down at the letter. “It’s a big opportunity…”

“It is. And you don’t have to go. Luna’s thinking around half the people she invited will show, since she isn’t as popular as her sister and it’s at night. I don’t think she’d be too upset.”

“...But she’d definitely remember those that came. If fewer than half bother, and even apprentices are invited, I could make a name for myself here!”

“That’s an interesting way to look at it. I’d appreciate you coming, at least. Luna put a lot of planning into it. And I’m going to be there the first night as her date, so having a few people I know there would be nice.”

“Then I’ll definitely do it. Though I’ll need to speak to the forgemaster to change my schedule. There used to be an apothecary that sold circadian reversal potions on Mane Street, so that shouldn’t be a problem… What does Princess Luna like? If I can make something just right, I’ll have an even better chance of getting in for good!”

“I’ve asked that question a few times. Art, competing, fighting, winning, and magic. She never got more detailed than that.”

“But you’ve dated her. You gotta know more than that! What kind of flowers does she like?”

“Those that are still in the ground. I made that mistake.”

“Ugh!”

“She’s also really interested in mortality, though god only knows why.”

“That isn’t very helpful…”

“Well, I can’t really help you too much. If you come out with something perfectly suited to her tastes, she’d know I helped you cheat anyway. That would lessen whatever impact you might make. You could just go for something simple and make her a chess set or something.”

“...I could make her a bust of you!”

“No!” you immediately said. She lifted an eyebrow. “Maybe for Celestia or something. But you want to make a good first impression. How good are you at making statues?”

“Given enough time, I can make anything. But smaller is easier and faster. What do you have in mind?”

“Luna has been involved in a lot of historical events. You can do some research and find one where she played a pivotal role, then make a diorama of the scene.”

“Hm… That would be a lot of work, but if I could pull it off, it would look amazing. If I give you a list of events tomorrow, can you ask her about them? I don’t want to accidentally upset her if the history books got something wrong.”

“I can ask Celestia for you, but asking Luna would probably hurt more than it would help.”

“Yeah… Alright then, I’ll do some research tonight. Hopefully I can find some information about Luna.”

“There’s gotta be something somewhere. Anyway, we should probably get started. What are we making today?”

“Today, I got permission to make something special, so I can show you how. We’re going to be making a necklace with a pendant.”

“Now we’re talking! How do we start?”

“With planning. This isn’t something like nails, where we can just wing it. Necklaces aren’t simple. We need to know the weight of the pendant so we can make sure the chain is strong enough. And we need to know what the customer wants. Or, in this case, what you think Luna would want, since this is going to be your gift to her.”

“Wait, what? Why?”

“Why not? She’s your wife. Husbands give their wives gifts.”

“Well, yeah. But I mean, why Luna? Celestia would prefer gold, so we could work in that.”

“Because you spend more of your time with Princess Celestia than with Luna. You should try to make that up to her when you can. This would be a good way to start.”

You’d really rather make something for your love, but continuing to debate the point would probably make Goldie suspicious. With a shrug, you concede the point. “Makes sense.” You can make something for Celestia later. They’d both understand.

“Good. Now what would Luna like?”

“Silver. A half-moon pendant.”

“Alright, that we can work with. But it’s boring. Plain. What kind of gemstone should we encrust in it?”

“This is getting kinda expensive.”

“You’re the prince consort. The palace is footing the bill for this one. Price is no object.”

You lift an eyebrow. “So we could make this entire thing out of diamonds?”

She rolled her eyes. “Anon, we’re metal workers. I don’t know what kind of world you come from, but diamond isn’t metal here.”

“...How about a ruby? Luna seems like the kind of person that would like red.”

“You really don’t spend enough time with her, do you? Maybe I should get another potion for you and you can spend a few nights with her.”

“Can we just plan this thing? I’d like to get started soon, before my muscles remember how much they hurt already.”

“...I’m just trying to help.”

“Do we need paper or something to draw it out? Or to take notes?”

She nodded. “Yeah. This is gonna be a three day project, probably. We’ll spend today making the pendant, then send it to the gemcrafters so they can add the ruby. We’ll spend the rest of the time making the chain. Trust me, it is not easy when you’re dealing with links that small.”

“I can imagine. I’m not good at drawing, though.”

“Then consider this a learning exercise.” She nodded to the anvil, where she already had a pencil and some paper set up. “Draw out the general shape of the pendant we’re making. I don’t know much about gemcrafting, but I’ll let you know if your plan is too hard, metal-wise.”

“Alright, I guess. But if it looks terrible, you aren’t allowed to laugh.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll just judge you silently.” You rolled your eyes and walked up to the anvil. You knew exactly what you wanted to draw and managed to get something pretty close after a few seconds. “Alright, that’s about what I was thinking,” she said with a nod. “It’s pretty hard to mess up a half-moon shape. But you’ll want to get better at drawing if you want to make anything too complex. Not having a plan is hard. But this’ll be just like making those horseshoes, though we’ll be using a much nicer metal.”

“Hey, you got to work with gold on that job.”

“Gold studs. Big difference. Give me a moment to get a bar of silver and we can get started. Start heating up the forge.”

“Alrighty.” A few minutes later, the sounds of banging and clanging started bouncing through the shop once again.

Goldie got the list of events for you the next day. There weren’t a lot of them, so either there wasn’t much information about Luna in the library or most of the events she was in would be too hard to make a diorama of. Of course, any event would probably take a while to make, depending on the size of the figurines.

You had to wait until you and Celestia were safely ensconced back in her chambers to ask her about any of them, though. Before that, you had only seen her at dinner, where Luna was also in attendance.

“I have some questions about Luna,” you said while Celestia was readying herself for bed.

“She loves stallions that can give good massages,” Celestia replied. “So if you want, I can let you practice on me.”

“Very funny.” You pulled out the list. “How did she feel after the Battle of Ponero?”

Celestia froze. “What?” she quietly asked.

“I’m helping Goldie plan a diorama for Luna’s night court. I suggested she do something historical, something Luna had a part in. So Goldie did some research and found a few events Luna took part in and asked me to ask you about them.”

“...Don’t do Ponero. Luna might approve of it, but I don’t want a reminder of that anywhere in my castle.”

Before you could read out the next one for her, you remembered something. “Luna mentioned Ponero. She said it was burned down.”

“It was,” she sighed. “And it’s something I’d rather not talk about.”

“...Alright. What about the signing of the Drake Treaty?”

Celestia smiled. “Ah, that. Luna was always so proud that she managed to stronghoof the dragons into signing that. She’s the only pony they ever respected, you know. A lot of the dragons hated it, though.”

“Damn. Luna said she was going to invite a dragon. We don’t want to risk upsetting him.”

“...She said that?”

“Yeah. She said he was a gemcrafter or something back in the day.”

“She told you that.”

“...Yes?”

“Hm. She didn’t tell me she was inviting anypony overly special like that. Did she mention any other special invites?”

Luna did say Celestia wouldn’t approve of the vampire she was inviting, so you figured Celestia didn’t need to know about that. “No one by name,” you said with a shrug. Which was true, of course. Luna didn’t give you any names.

“I see. She still has a few living friends these days. Maybe I should remind her about them. Though I’d rather not see some of them near Canterlot.”

“Well, it’s her party. I say let her invite who she wants to invite.”

“I’m perfectly fine with a few of her old friends coming by. But some of them are dangerous. And Canterlot is on the side of a mountain. That dragon is large. Not only is there limited space for him to land, but his extra weight could be harmful. I will speak to her about it.”

“I don’t think Luna would just invite someone all willy-nilly,” you said, scratching her behind the ears. “I’m sure she knows what she’s doing. And this is a good way to build some trust back up.”

She sighed and leaned into your hand. “Alright, Anon. I trust her and I trust you. And I’m also happy you two are bonding even more.”

“Then you’ll be really happy to hear that Goldie is forcing me to make Luna a present.”

Celestia chuckled and went back to getting ready. “And what are you making my dear sister?”

“A necklace. Half moon pendant studded with a ruby. The chain and moon will be silver.”

“Oh, that sounds like something she would like. When are you going to give it to her? I want to see her blush when you do…”

“Ugh. Probably a day or two. We got the pendant done and the gem cutters are setting it up now. We started on the chain today and we’re looking to finish it tomorrow and hopefully get it put together either tomorrow or the day after. I was hoping the first pretty thing I got to make would be a gift for you, but Goldie said it had to be for Luna and I didn’t want to have to explain why I said no.”

“You should give it to her right as the sun is setting! Maybe in one of the towers, so you’ll have a better view. I just know she’ll love it!”

You rolled your eyes. “You’re the romantic one, honey, not her. She’d just ask why I dragged her up there. She might not even take the stupid necklace and I very much doubt she’ll be happy about it. Anyway, back to the questions. What about the last stand of Semponius Denses? Er… Densus? I don’t know, something like that.”

Her eyes got a faraway look. “I… remember him. He saved Luna’s life a long time ago, protecting her against mutinous guards. That would be a bittersweet memory, one she might not want to think about again.”

“What about the sinking of the Kobayashi Mareu? Or is it Maru? Christ, these pony pun names are bullshit.”

“She made a judgment call on that. I disagreed at the time, but she was vindicated when we found proof later that it was a trap.”

“...What happened?”

She sighed. “We were at a cold war with the minotaurs, back when they had more than one city. One of our freighters carrying important supplies went missing and I sent Luna out to find it. When she did, it was in the middle of a neutral zone we agreed to with the minotaurs. She reasoned that, since it wasn’t damaged and it was where it shouldn’t be, the crew either betrayed us or were already dead and it was a trap. So she sank it from outside the neutral zone.”

“Oh. That sucks.”

“It did.”

“Alright, what about her fight with the last g… Uh. Jenganger? I don’t know, it says revenant next to it.”

“Oh, the last gjenganger! It’s a mix between a zombie and a vampony, with all the strengths of both and the weaknesses of neither. This one was a vile murderer. It took us fifteen hundred years to track it down and finally kill it. Before it was originally executed, he was a serial killer with a brilliant mind. After he came back, he continued killing and quickly learned that he grew stronger with each victim. Luna was very proud when she put that abomination down. The downside is that it started a series of loyalty cascades from the vamponies that were allied with it, and that led to wiping out almost every single vampony coven out there.”

So that was also a no-go, since Luna had a vampire friend coming. “Sounds like a good one, but I’d like to hear about the rest, in case there’s a better one. Battle of Stalliongrad?”

“She’s still upset that they put a statue of me there instead of her, so no.”

“Defeating the windigos?”

For some reason, she smirked. “No.”

“Alright. Defeating Sombra?”

“...I forgot I put that in the history books. Sombra only became a problem a year or two after Luna was… banished. I was a little heavy-hoofed when I dealt with him and it kinda showed. So no, because Luna wasn’t even there.”

“Huh. The second defeat of Nightmare Moon?”

“It’s a happy memory for me, but Luna still finds it embarrassing. Not that she lost, mind, but that it was necessary at all.”

“Well, shit. That was the last thing on the list.” Aside from your marriage, but Celestia didn’t need to know about that one. “Maybe she’ll have to do the revenant one…”

“I have a… suggestion. I’m not sure how Luna feels about this event, though I think she views it with pride. The defeat of the Iron King and the crushing of his last champions. I was actually recovering from a grievous wound at the time, so it was solely her victory. Finding information about it in a public library would be hard, but I’ll bring you a book about it at lunch tomorrow. You can let Goldilocks use it to plan the diorama, but I will want it back by the end of the week.”

“Why is information hard to find?”

“Because I like to keep the history that is publicly available the good memories. The fight against the Iron King was the most desperate war all life has ever faced. All the species, all the sapient undead, and even nature itself teamed up to fight against it.”

“That sounds… perfect. Alright then, I’ll do that. But why aren’t you sure how Luna would feel about it?”

“That was the start of her road to corruption. Something the king said to her before she struck him down stuck in her mind. It ate away at her. And I believe that he was so dark and evil that even being near him was a source of corruption, and that since Luna is the one that struck the mortal blow, a part of it transferred to her.”

“Huh. So what was the Iron King, then? A minotaur or something?”

“Nopony knows. He and his troops were made of metal and just rose from the ground. They struck down whatever life they could everywhere they found it. Nothing was spared.”

“Wow. What a bunch of dicks.”

“Indeed.” She sighed and finally flopped into bed. “Those were a bunch of memories I never wanted to think about again…”

“If you want, I’m sure I can find some way to make it up to you…”

She rolled over to face you right as you straddled her. “And how is that, my lovely little human?”

You leaned in and kissed her for a moment before pulling back. “By making you scream,” you whispered.

When you and Goldie finally got the necklace put together, you couldn’t help but just stare at it. “I can’t believe we made that,” you whispered, gently stroking the chain.

“Believe it,” Goldilocks said. “I remember my first real creation. I had just as much help as you did, and I still find it a little hard to believe how well it turned out.”

“Was that the golden lock?”

“No, no. That lock was honestly terrible, though I kept it anyway. I made a set of wedding rings for a rich client, supervised by my master at the time. That rich client just so happened to know some ponies in the palace, which is how I got my job here. But honestly, it always feels good to look at what you made. Metal lasts forever, and it has a purpose. If you make nails, you can look at a building and just know you helped make it. If you make armor, you can look at a guard and know you’re the reason he’ll stay safe. If you make jewelry, you can look at a couple and know you’re gave them a physical sign of love to share between them.”

“And if you make a diorama about Luna killing a bunch of robots, you can know you were allowed to read censored history that Celestia thought was better off forgotten.”

“That too. Which reminds me. I’m taking the rest of this week and all of the week after that off to work on this. The forgemaster said he can assign you another apprentice, or you can take that time off and do your own things.”

“I’ll think about what I want to do. If the first night of the court is really interesting, I might get one of those potions myself and stay up to see what the artists do.”

“You know, you could give the necklace to Luna that night. Tell her you made it and ask her if it’s enough to be invited as an artist.”

“Nah. You did most of the hard work on it. Besides, I already told Celestia and she’s terrible at keeping secrets. If I don’t give it to Luna soon, she’ll know before the court starts.”

Goldie shrugged. “It’s yours to do with as you want. I just hope I see her wearing it soon.”

“Well, aside from her tiara and the weird bangle thing both of them wear, Luna doesn’t seem all too interested in jewelry. Though she does wear makeup, so maybe. Either way, it’ll be up to her. I’ll probably give it to her tonight.”

“Then I’ll let you go early, so you can wash up for her. We don’t have enough time to get started on anything big anyway. Be sure to let me know what she thinks.”

“Will do.” You carefully pick up the necklace and lower it into a pocket. “See you tomorrow, Goldie.”

“Yep.” With that, you walk on out and start heading back to your rooms.

By the time you were all cleaned up and ready to go, you were pretty sure Luna was awake. With a quick check to make sure you had the necklace, you headed to her rooms, a strange feeling of trepidation in your heart. When you got to her door, you knocked and waited. Sure enough, she answered. Her hair was still wet and struggling to move freely.

“Anon,” she said. “Do you require something?”

“I just have something weird to tell you. Goldie wanted me to get some practice with some finer metalworking and had me make a necklace. And she said that since I spend so much more time with Celestia than you, it was going to be a gift for you.”

“Ah. You may tell her that the thought is nice, but I am not overly interested.”

“I did. She pressed the point and I figured it was easier to just do it than be forced to explain.” You pulled out the necklace and held it up for her. “So here you go, I guess.”

She looked at it and blinked a few times. “Oh. You actually… Oh.”

“I didn’t really know what metal or shape to use, so I figured silver and a moon would work. And she said we had to use a gemstone, so I just picked ruby.”

“I… see.”

“Yeah, I figured you could keep it for a few years and then give it to someone else when Goldilocks forgets about it. I didn’t figure you for a jewelry type of person. Either way, it’s your problem now.”

“It is hardly a problem,” she quietly said, lifting a hoof to take it from you. She carefully looked over both sides of the pendant. “Did you not engrave your signature?”

“Nah. Goldie said that’s not really common practice anymore. And it was a collab between us, so putting my name on it would be weird. Just be glad I talked her out of inscribing the back with some silly love message or whatever.”

She snorted. “There is hardly enough room for much of one.”

“That was my argument. Anyway, you’re still getting ready for the day. Or night, whatever. I’ll get out of your hair.”

“You are not standing in my hair.”

“It’s another one of those weird idioms. It means I’ll stop bothering you. See you at dinner, Luna.”

“Very well. And… thank you for this gift, Anon.”

“Don’t mention it.” For some reason, you didn’t hear her door close when you started walking back to Celestia’s room.