• Published 31st Dec 2017
  • 3,224 Views, 112 Comments

Class Zero - Albi



The continent of Equus is divided into three kingdoms, one for each of the pony races. When a series of accidents and misfortunes leads them to war, Twilight Sparkle and her friends must work together to find harmony before their homes freeze over.

  • ...
 112
 3,224

First Session: Best and Brightest—Lesson One: Orientation

“When I close my eyes, I can see a single kingdom. One where all three pony races live integrated and happy. The lines between the kingdoms no longer exist. Maybe they never have. I stand overhead and smile down at them. And they smile back. But I open my eyes and remember the long history of separation and strife.

“Ponies have always struggled. We sit in our divided lands and speak of harmony and friendship, yet so few have forged a bond with their brethren. Not one that lasts longer than a festival.

“I have tried, like so many others. And I will try again, like so many will. To create the push toward True Harmony. To bring to reality that dream in my heart. That when I open my eyes, I still see pegasi, earth ponies, and unicorns standing shoulder to shoulder everywhere, not just in front of a tower.

“But I feel the cold against my skin, and I hear the laugh in the back of my head. I ask the question ‘what will change this time?’ And the cold and the laugh tell me, ‘Nothing. It will all be the same, one-thousand years hence.’

“But then, I look to the foals. Those who aren’t quite cynical to the ways of the world. Those who still believe in hope and change. In power and potential.

“In friendship and magic…”

“Old men can make war, but it is children who will make history.”

The fanfare ended. Left behind were fear and apprehension, bubbling in Twilight Sparkle’s stomach. The wrought iron gates squealed and clanked shut behind her. She gave one last wave to her parents on the other side, turning away before any tears came. Their proud smiles made it difficult.

I’m here. I made it. Twilight couldn’t quite get the fanfare to start again, but jolts of excitement countered any rising anxiety. Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. ‘Here stand the best and brightest.’ The school motto, inscribed on the arches she had just passed under. She didn’t look back to check she had quoted it right, lest she catch sight of her parents again.

Before her was the long, sett paved promenade. Maple trees overshadowed the path with their yellowing leaves, their ancient branches intertwining and locking together in loving embrace. More of their turning leaves floated down to the path with each gust of wind. They crunched under Twilight’s hooves like loose gravel. With every step she took, her heart beat a little harder with trepidation. During the tour, she had only known excitement and wonder as she beheld her future, listening with rapt attention as Minuette explained the history and function of each building, then squealed like a foal on Hearth’s Warming when they arrived at the library.

That excitement dimmed as she stepped further away from her parents. In her fourteen years, she had never spent more than a single night away from them. Now, she would be spending months at a time here, with ponies she didn’t know.

But here was the most prestigious institution to learn magic in all of Lumen! As she stepped out from under the trees and marveled again at the full campus, her heart pounded in her chest, fear and excitement coming to a head.

She paused at the mouth of the quad and took a deep breath, inhaling the grassy aroma the last day of summer brought. Flowers pollinating for the last time in the small gardens to her sides tickled her nose. Four large grass fields fanned out in front of her, split by the stone path. A silver fountain of a rearing unicorn burbled at the crossroads, water flowing from its horn. Students spread out across the grounds, lounging, playing, talking, laughing, doing everything, Twilight noticed, but studying.

She raised her head, looking beyond the maple trees to the cathedral-like constructions bathing their ivory towers in the evening sun. Built with white brick, they shone with the purity of knowledge and were capped by spires of purple and gold.

A disk flew over Twilight’s head, eclipsing the sun for a brief second before continuing its arc to the next field, where another unicorn caught it in his magic. Twilight made a small, “Hmph,” at the display.

“Isn’t it a lovely sight?” Minuette inhaled deeply and smiled. She did that almost nonstop.

Minuette had met Twilight and her parents upon their arrival, introducing herself as the representative of Class Zero, and leading them on a tour of campus. Her warm aura and bubbly laugh dispelled Twilight’s fear of everypony at school being stuck-up, elitist snobs. But seeing the other unicorns frolicking, she now worried if anyone here took their education seriously.

“Why aren’t they studying?” Twilight asked.

Hiding a giggle behind her light blue hoof, Minuette said, “Twilight, it’s the last weekend before school starts. You really think we want to be studying now?”

“Yes,” Twilight said matter-of-factly. “I have a paper due the first day of class about the practical applications of using warp sigils instead of teleporting.”

Minuette whistled. “Glad I didn’t take Advanced Spatial Theory.” She patted Twilight’s shoulder, not noticing the subtle flinch she made. “Twilight, there’s a time for studying and there’s a time for relaxing. What do you do for fun?”

Twilight raised an eyebrow at her “I read. Or organize the notes I’ve taken on things I’ve read. You’re at the top of Class Zero. You got there by studying and practicing, didn’t you? Not by wasting time playing games.”

Wasting time?” Minuette tapped a hoof against her chin. “I wouldn’t say I wasted it, no. But I didn’t spend every waking moment reading. I like to spend time with my friends and goof around. Oh, and I also learned that I enjoy gardening, so I’ve been doing that more often. I do read historical fictions for fun, so I guess you could say I do a lot of reading.” She looked at Twilight’s befuddled expression and smiled, showing off her perfect, sparkling teeth. “Well, now I see how you managed to ace your entrance exam.”

Twilight involuntarily flicked her tail and ears, and cast her gaze elsewhere.

“Don’t worry, Twilight.” Minuette continued across the quad, waving to several ponies as they passed by. “There’ll be plenty of time for study sessions and homework parties. Right now, let’s go meet your classmates. Making friends is just as important when it comes to learning.”

Twilight’s excitement died again. She didn’t come here to make friends, she came here to learn. She didn’t want to have ‘homework parties;’ they sounded distracting. She let out a quiet sigh, keeping a slow pace behind Minuette’s excited trot. She could only hope someone in Class Zero took being a student at Celestia’s School as seriously as she did.

They stepped off the main road and headed northwest across the field, slipping between two thick trees to find a narrow cobblestone path. It weaved itself through the grove, coming out near the wall of not just the school, but Canterlot City itself, overlooking the Unicorn Range from its perch upon the mountain.

A lavish two-story house sat nestled between the wall and the westernmost school building. Painted gold with a purple roof, it stuck out amongst the green grass and white walls.

“Welcome to the Class Zero clubhouse!” Minuette said, pushing open the large mahogany doors engraved with a zero. They stepped into a foyer with a crystal chandelier hanging above their heads. Twilight looked down and saw a lavender unicorn stare back at her through the meticulously polished checkered floors.

To Twilight’s right was a door labeled ‘kitchen’ and to her left was the ‘club room’. Upstairs, she could see the ‘art room’ and the ‘music room.’ Right across from her, between the staircases was a door marked ‘study room’. Her body leaned forward for the door, but Minuette gently steered her to the club room where Twilight could hear lively chatter.

“Oh good, I think everypony’s here! We can introduce you in one swoop!” Minuette opened to door and gestured Twilight in.

Twilight bit her lip, fighting not to fight against Minuette’s gentle prodding. She couldn’t stop the numerous scenarios from playing out in her head. What if they’re all lazy, or party goers? What if they’re jealous of my results on the entrance exam? What if they ask about the entrance exam? Twilight’s chest constricted, forcing her to take short breaths as she walked into the brightly lit room. It was spacious, boasting large windows and another chandelier. Three couches circled a central fire pit, currently unlit. Near the front, two ponies sat at a workbench, a blackboard covered in diagrams and equations behind them. At the window were two more ponies, one on a stand and wearing a pink dress while the other stitched the hems. At the back, a mare sat on a beanbag, her head in a book. She seemed to be the only one who didn’t notice Twilight and Minuette walk in.

“Everyone!” Minuette called, gesturing a hoof out. “This is our newest classmate, Twilight Sparkle! Can you believe it? Eight students in Class Zero! Anyway, make sure to make her feel welcome!”

Twilight didn’t have time to blush before a white, smartly dressed stallion materialized from nowhere. He hadn’t teleported; Twilight had seen no evidence as such, and he hadn’t been in the room upon Twilight’s first observation. He simply appeared, smiling brightly, blonde hair waving in a breeze Twilight couldn’t feel. He took one of Twilight’s hooves and kissed it before turning his artic blue eyes onto her violet ones.

“Miss Sparkle, the pleasure is all mine,” he said smoothly, wiggling his eyebrows, “and soon, it shall be all yours. I am Blueblood, or rather, the prince of your dreams, for surely, you are the mare of mine. When they told us that a mare was coming here straight from the entrance exams I thought, truly, she must be the mare for me. But, they did not speak of your beauty and grace! It is a simple elegance that no doubt hides—ow, ow, ow, ow!

A green aura enveloped his ear, and Minuette dragged him away, her smile more exasperated. “I said make her feel welcome, Blue, not court her.”

“I can’t do both?”

Minuette deposited him on the couch before returning to Twilight and taking her to the workbench. A mint green unicorn with a cyan and white mane, and excited eyes sat on a rotating stool, spinning around and around. The mare next to her was white with a wild blue mane and wore red sunglasses despite being indoors.

“Heya, newbie!” The green mare stopped spinning and grinned widely at Twilight. “How’s it going so far? Did you like the tour? Minuette talk your ear off? She can do that sometimes, but I always learn something.”

She talked so fast, Twilight couldn’t get a word in even if she wanted to. There was a slightly longer pause, and Twilight tried to take it. “I’m good, I think. The campus—”

“Awesome! I’m Lyra Heartstrings, but you can just call me Lyra, everypony does! Isn’t that right, Vinyl? That’s Vinyl, she’s my bestie!”

Vinyl bent over the table, examining a pile of mechanical scraps. She picked up pieces one at a time with her magenta aura, holding them aloft without seeming to actually look at them before setting them aside. “Nice to meet you,” she said, still not looking up. “Mind if I call you Twi?”

“Hey, that’s a good nickname, Vinyl!” Lyra said, starting her spin again.

Twilight rubbed her fetlocks together. “I… guess not? If you really want to, you can.” It wasn’t a bad name by any means. Shining called her Twily all the time. She hadn’t expected a pony she just met to assign a nickname to her.

“Cool, Twi it is. Welcome to the class.” Vinyl finally looked in her direction and flashed a grin. “Heard you completely aced the entrance exam. Wish I could have been there.”

Twilight ran a hoof through her mane and laughed nervously. “Ehehe, well, you know, it wasn’t really anything special. I just… I should go introduce myself some more.” She pointed to the ponies near the window. “Excuse me.” Her hooves carried her off before either Lyra or Vinyl could speak again.

Both of the mares by the window had eggshell white coats and were equally beautiful. The one on the stool had gracefully long legs, making her the tallest unicorn Twilight had seen besides the princess. She had flowing pink hair and almond shaped eyes that held a faraway look. She wore a flowing ball gown, which the other unicorn was trying to adjust the hem. This one had a curled purple mane and a cutie mark of three diamonds.

They smiled as Twilight approached. The purple haired one said in a refined voice, “Hello, Twilight Sparkle, it’s lovely to meet you. My name is Rarity, and this is Fleur.”

“Charmed,” Fleur said quietly.

Twilight waved. “That’s a beautiful dress. Did you make that?”

“Why yes, I did!” Rarity beamed proudly. “I love to make clothes in my free time. It’s where my true talent lies if I’m being honest. Right now, I’m designing outfits for the Welcome Back Ball.” She gave her hair a light flip and turned to give Twilight her full attention, moving her head up and down in appraisement. “Oh, your coat is well maintained, and I love the accents in your mane.”

Subconsciously, Twilight rubbed the pink streaks in her purple hair. “Oh, thank you.”

“Would you like me to make a dress for you, too? I’m sure I could come up with something positively smashing for the dance.”

“No thank you.” Twilight took a step back. “I doubt I’ll be going.”

Rarity gasped. “But, it’s the premier event of the school year! Everypony is going to attend.”

Twilight took another step back. “Well, how about I think on it?” The sparkle in Rarity’s eye made it hard for Twilight to outright say no, even if there was little chance of her actually attending.

“Yes, give it some thought. But I assure you, you’ll have an excellent time!”

With one more wave, Twilight made her way to the back to the last of her classmates. The girl had on a purple hat and cape covered with stars and moons. She didn’t acknowledge Twilight’s approach. Finally, somepony I can connect with. Twilight felt bad interrupting her reading, but knew a kindred spirit like this blue mare would understand.

“Hello, I—”

“Go away,” the girl said curtly.

Twilight’s ears folded. “Oh… okay.”

“Trixie,” Minuette said from across the room, her voice like that of a scolding mother, “be nice. At least say hello.”

Trixie lowered her book and glared at Twilight, one purple eye hidden behind silver bangs. “Hi.” She pulled her book back up.

Minuette hurried over and led Twilight away. “Don’t mind her, she’s just a little harder to get through. Trixie’s very nice once you get to know her.”

Twilight made an uncertain grunt and settled on the couch opposite of Blueblood. He winked at her, and Twilight rolled her eyes. So these were her peers. Twilight couldn’t say she was impressed. Minuette was the top student in school, but she didn’t act like it. Vinyl looked like she was working on something but Twilight couldn’t tell what. Fleur was too quiet to make any proper assessments, and Trixie already hated her. Everypony else proved to be some level of weird.

“So, tell us about yourself, Twilight,” Blueblood said, still giving a flirty smile. “I’m sure a sophisticated and talented mare like you is deep and complex.”

Sweat gathered at the nape of Twilight’s neck. “I’m really nothing special. I just like to read and study. Which is actually something I should go do right now. School starts on Monday,” she said quickly, seeing a way out.

“Yeah, school starts on Monday,” Lyra said, bringing her chair to a halt, “which is why you should be relaxing. Speaking of relaxing, who’s down to get some ice cream? I could go for some strawberry, or rocky road, or wait, mint chocolate chip! Or maybe—”

“Sugar’s the last thing you need,” Vinyl said.

Twilight stood from the couching, tail flicking back and forth. “Thanks, but I should really go. Besides, I haven’t finished unpacking.”

Minuette bounced up. “Oh right, I bet you haven’t even met your roommate yet. Well, come on, I’ll take you to your dorm. We can all hang out tomorrow.”

Twilight wanted to protest to both suggestions, but Minuette’s cheery smile stopped Twilight’s words in her throat. She followed Minuette out, politely waving to the rest of Class Zero. They left the clubhouse and snaked their way through the grove to find the quad.

“I know some of them have their quirks,” Minuette said, “but they’re all a great bunch of students. Hardworking and fun. You’ll get to know them a lot more soon.”

“Great,” Twilight said, managing a weak smile. With the horizon now a bright shade of pink and orange, many of the students had turned in for the night, leaving the campus quiet. The dorms sat on the east end, facing the sprawling city and mountainside.

Minuette stopped at the front entrance. “Well, Twilight, I hope you had a good day today. We’re going to hang out tomorrow as well, and I really hope you’ll join us.”

“I’ll… think about it.” Twilight supposed she had to give them more than one chance to make an impression. Maybe they really were hardworking when school was in session. “Thank you for the tour, Miss Minuette.”

Minuette snorted and giggled. “Oh, Twilight, Minuette is just fine. I’m still a student after all.” She gave a goodbye smile and turned away. Twilight went inside and headed to the third floor.

I can’t believe I’m about to have a roommate. What if they’re completely disorganized? What if they’re a slob? What if they play really loud music? As her homesickness settled in, she reached her room, #306, and pushed the door open.

To her surprise, relief, and gratitude, the room was spotless. Her suitcase and boxes sat neatly on her bed, leaving her side of the room unremarkable, while the other side contained a perfectly organized bookshelf, well-made bed, and tidy desk where a beige pony sat reading with the lamp on. She turned, showing off the topknot in her red and purple mane, and the tape holding her thick black glasses together.

She stared wordlessly at Twilight for a moment before stuttering, “O-oh, you must be my roommate. I was wondering when you would… not that I was waiting for you or anything. I just wanted to know…” She cleared her throat. “Salutations. My name is Moondancer.”

Twilight stepped into the room and dipped her head. “Twilight Sparkle. Nice to meet you.”

Moondancer’s eyes went wide. “You’re Twilight Sparkle? You’re the mare that broke all the previous records at the entrance exam! You tied with Sunset Shimmer on the written portion and beat her magical aptitude score!” she gushed. “You’re in Class Zero! I can’t believe I’m rooming with you!”

Twilight’s face grew redder and redder with each passing praise. She stammered out dismissals, but the stars in Moondancer’s eyes were bigger than the ones on her flank surrounding a crescent moon. “Please, it’s nothing, really.”

Nothing? It’s the talk of the whole school! The second prodigy in less than a decade! Tell me, what spells did you use for the practical exam?”

No!” Twilight threw a hoof over her mouth. “I mean, no, not today. It’s been a long day and I still need to unpack. Please, tell me something about yourself.”

Moondancer blushed. “Oh, I’m not that special. I’m only in Class Four.”

Twilight opened her first box and started levitating her books out one by one. “But you’re a freshman too, aren’t you? That’s really impressive to start in Class Four.”

“I suppose so, since most freshmen start in Eight or Nine. But you jumped all the way to the top.”

“Really, I’m not that special. I just…” Got lucky, Twilight finished in her head. Their conversation slowed while Twilight unpacked, Moondancer focusing her attention on her book, though Twilight caught her occasionally looking her way.

Last from her suitcase, Twilight pulled out an old, raggedy horse doll. With its mismatched button eyes, matted mane, and torn ear, it begged to be thrown out, but Twilight gave it a quick nuzzle, smelling home, and set it behind her pillow. With everything in its place, Twilight opened up her Advanced Spatial Theory textbook and pulled out a roll of parchment, some ink, and a quill.

“Are you working on homework already?” Moondancer asked.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Yes, I am,” she said curtly.

To her surprise, Moondancer let out a sigh of relief. “I thought I was the only one. I wanted to get a headstart on the material.” She lifted her book, The Intermediate Guide to Starswirl’s Principles of Magic. “I didn’t want to feel left behind when class started since I’ll be with mostly juniors and seniors.”

Finally! Someone who understands!” Twilight cleared her throat. “I mean, it’s nice to see more students taking their academic position seriously. We have to set an example for the rest of the kingdom. Just because we’re on vacation doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be studying.”

Moondancer bobbed her head. “I agree completely.” Her cheeks turned red again. “Does this mean… I mean, umm… you wouldn’t mind if we became… study buddies, would you?”

Twilight hesitated. Study buddy meant not studying in private. However, she would have an academic peer to bounce ideas off of. However, Moondancer might ask her for demonstrations in magic! Twilight swallowed. “Umm, well, sure… whenever I’m not busy with the amount of critical work the professors will give me.”

Moondancer’s crestfallen look sent a pang of guilt through Twilight’s heart. “Oh, right. I-I understand.” She adjusted her glasses.

“But, if I ever need any help or have free time, you’re the first pony I’ll come to!” Twilight added quickly.

It got Moondancer to smile, but didn’t absolve all of Twilight’s guilt. Still, as she laid on her bed, she took solace in the thought of rooming with the one other pony who liked to study.

Despite her reservations, Twilight found herself walking across the quad the next morning toward the Class Zero clubhouse. She would be spending a lot of time with her seven peers; the least she could do was learn to tolerate them.

She knocked on the large wooden doors, staring at the zeros carved into it with swirling patterns surrounding them as she waited for someone to answer.

Rarity pulled the door open and tutted, amused. “Sweetheart, you don’t have to knock. It’s open for you whenever you like.”

“Oh.” Twilight kept her head down as she walked in, muttering how she didn’t want to presume anything. Everypony had gathered in the foyer, caught in a discussion of how to spend their afternoon.

“Lunch on the terrace of the Azure Crown sounds positively exquisite on a day like today,” Blueblood said, his nose in the air.

Trixie let out a short laugh. “Sure, just let Trixie check her funds… oh, would you look at that, she can’t afford it!”

Blueblood smiled and wiggled his eyebrows. “Perhaps I could pay for you… if you called it a date?”

“Trixie would rather starve.”

“Why don’t we walk down to Pony Joe’s?” Minuette asked.

Vinyl bobbed her head. “I’m down for some doughnuts.”

“Yeah, count me in!” Lyra said.

“Eeegh, commoner food! And unhealthy at that!” Blueblood stuck his tongue out. “Why do you insist on going to that poor establishment?”

“Because doughnuts,” Minuette said with a flick of her hoof. “How about it, Twi?” She turned to Twilight, making her jump in surprise at being addressed. “Doughnuts sound good? Plus, we’ll get to walk around town. That’s always fun.”

“Uhh, sure. I like doughnuts.” Great answer, Twilight. Very profound.

“Hey, if the new kid wants doughnuts, I say we get ‘em!” Lyra said. “Let’s go, Zero!”

“Still not catching on, Lyra,” Vinyl said, shuffling her hooves forward.

“Just wait for it!” Lyra trotted in front of her, and Vinyl picked up the pace.

All eight of them crossed the campus and headed for the front gate. Like Blueblood had said, it was a beautiful day to herald the start of autumn. The green grass began to fade to a dry yellow, and all of the trees held leaves of gold, purple and red. The sky boasted a beautiful blue and paraded a few puffy clouds that drifted in front of the sun. Lyra narrated all of these details, though it seemed to be directed more to Vinyl than anyone else.

Out the front gate and into the city proper they went, heading northeast to the main collection of shops and food. Around the school were parks and neatly organized rows of houses painted an assortment of colors, most of them purple and gold to show the regality of unicorns. Gardens and terraces covered in vines and flowers released fragrant aromas that wafted throughout the neighborhoods.

The city of Canterlot spread itself upon the cliffside of Horn Mountain, overlooking the Unicorn Range and the great plains—the Equus Charge beyond. The original architects had spared no expense during the city’s construction. All the roads were paved with smooth silver sett, constantly well-maintained. Even the older brick and mortar houses shone with resplendent beauty.

Twilight admired the scenery rather than engage in conversation. She appreciated the loving work and care that went in to keeping their capital city looking beautiful. Canterlot could be broken up into three sections. The outer terrace where the main entrance was located as well as their school and most of the parks. A canal split the outer half from Canterlot’s grand center, where all of the shops, art galleries, museums, and the wealthier nobles lived. Finally, there was Canterlot Castle to the west, raised a little higher on a hoof-made extension of the cliff. The school sat just south of it, separated by a smooth, marble wall.

Class Zero crossed over one of the many bridges linking the grand center to the outer terrace. The crystal blue water flowed beneath them from further up the mountain, and down to the waterfall that spilled off the side of the city. Twilight had never seen Canterlot from afar, but she knew the sight had to be breathtaking.

Crowds of unicorns walked up and down one of the many thoroughfares that led to the central plaza, stopping to ogle at the stores and vendors. Strings of lights shaped like diamonds hung from the rooftops. Music came from several directions, blending together to create odd rhythms that almost sounded harmonious at times, but more often added to the chaos of conversation and laughter.

Minuette led them off the main road to one of the smaller pockets. A modest shop sat on the corner with a pink awning and a sign that read ‘Doughnut Joe’s.’ To Twilight, it looked rather unremarkable, but the sugary smell sung a sweet song that lured her in.

“Well, if it isn’t Minuette and her posse,” the pony at the counter said over the jingling bell. “I had a feeling I’d see you soon.”

“Hi, Pony Joe! It’s nice to see you, too!” Minuette smiled and waved. She pressed her muzzle against the glass of the display counter. “Everything looks tasty as usual!”

Blueblood walked on the tips of his hooves like he was trying to avoid stepping in something toxic. “We have different definitions of the word ‘tasty’.” He found a table near the window, pulled out a handkerchief to wipe down one of the seats, and sat down.

Twilight looked past Minuette’s drooling reflection at the doughnuts on display. There were glazed, sprinkled, glazed with sprinkles, powdered, cream-filled, and doughnut holes. Her stomach rumbled and her mouth started to salivate.

Pony Joe chuckled at her. “I can see you’re already enticed by my sweet selection. So, what’ll it be?”

The class got a wide variety, though Minuette had skewed it so a majority had sprinkles of some kind. Twilight picked up a maple glaze and bit into it with a happy hum, pausing for a moment to savor the sweet taste. She now knew why her classmates favored this place: this was the best doughnut she had ever tasted. The title didn’t stick long, as she bit into a white sprinkled one and declared this the best doughnut she had ever tasted.

“By the look on your face, is it safe to say you like them?” Minuette asked with a sly smile. Twilight just nodded her head.

“Come on, Blue, don’t put on this song and dance again.” Lyra pushed a powdered doughnut in front of him. “You know you like them.”

Blueblood lifted one up in his magic and took a bite. “They suffice for street fair food.”

“I know they’re unhealthy,” Rarity said, taking a small bite out of hers. “But we’re allowed to splurge every once in awhile.”

Fleur gave an uncertain nod of her head, but partook in one as well. “I’m still surprised Minuette loves them so much. One would think you would hate sweets since they’re bad for your teeth.”

Minuette swallowed her mouthful of pastries. “I just make sure to get a really good brush in after I eat.” She narrowed her eyes. “As should the rest of you.”

Trixie rolled her eyes in return. “Yes, Mother.”

“I don’t like your tone, young lady. Am I going to have to take away your doughnut privileges?”

Trixie held her doughnut closer to her chest and stuck her tongue out.

“Which one do you want next, Vinyl?” Lyra asked, magic at the ready.

She shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. You know I’m not picky.”

Twilight found the exchanges between them odd. Even moreso, the fact that Vinyl still had her sunglasses on indoors. She supposed it was none of her business, but it seemed impractical.

Minuette wiped her mouth on a napkin, coating it with leftover sprinkles. ”All right, class,” she said in a strong and encouraging voice, “a new school year is upon us. Say goodbye to yesterday’s grades; we all get a clean start tomorrow. I know classes get harder with each passing year, but you’re all here for a reason.” She paused and beamed at each of them in turn, giving Twilight an extra second of silent praise. “We are the best and brightest. And we show it not just by working hard but…”

“By playing hard?” Vinyl said with a grin.

Minuette playfully rolled her eyes. “Yes, and...”

“By helping anypony who asks for it,” Rarity finished.

“Yes!” Minuette gave her an appreciative nod. “Couldn’t have said it better myself. So go out there, study hard, and set a good example for the rest of the school and Lumen!”

“As if you need to remind Trixie,” Trixie said with a hoof on her chest. “They don’t call her Great and Powerful for nothing.”

“Only you call yourself that,” Lyra said, earning a snicker from Vinyl.

As the two started a playful argument, Twilight felt some of the tension leave her shoulders. While she still planned to study on her own, maybe, just maybe, this group wasn’t as bad as she thought.

Author's Note:

This story's Canterlot is based off of this image. It's one of my favorites now!