• Published 15th Apr 2015
  • 2,764 Views, 50 Comments

The Twilight Rainbow - ModMCdl



Twilight accidentally discovers that Rainbow Dash has feelings for her, but just how complicated will things get. Even AFTER the problem at hand is solved?

  • ...
13
 50
 2,764

The Next Morning

Rainbow Dash woke up in laying on a soft, fluffy carpet in a room she didn't remember entering. She groaned and stretched her wings, slowly standing racked her brain, desperately trying to figure out what the hay was going on, as she slowly walked towards the door. Only a few things came back to her, something about a dream...

She opened up the door and walked out, then tripped over a sleeping Twilight. Rainbow crashed headfirst into the wall, while Twilight scrambled to her feet, letting out a small shriek. The alicorn automatically seized Rainbow Dash in her glow, not thinking clearly yet. Dash naturally tried to squirm out of it. "Uhhh, Twi? Can you put me down?" asked the pegasus.

Twilight looked bleary-eyed to the pegasus. "Oh, yeah Rainbow Dash, sure..." she mumbled as the glow faded and her former captive slumped to the floor. The two looked at each other for a few moments. Then...

"Wait, why are you in my house, Rainbow?"

"Wait, why am I in your house, Twilight?"

Then, as if on que, the memories came flooding back to both ponies at the same time. Both remembered exactly what had happened the day before, and as Twilight began to feel her face slowly turning a crimson hue, Rainbow's eyes began to fill up with tears. The princess of friendship noticed this, and extended a hoof to her pegasus friend. "Rainbow-"

The cyan mare flew down the hallway, cutting her off. Twilight trotted after her calling her name. "Rainbow! Please!" The alicorn heard a loud crash, and as she rounded the corner, she saw her secret lover sprawled out on the floor, with an overturned table and shattered vase next to her. Twilight hurried over as she heard Rainbow Dash moan in pain. "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" she asked worriedly. Rainbow sat up, grunting. Struggling to her feet, she turned away from Twilight, and proceeded to limp down the hallway. Twilight just stood there staring, until she noticed the...

"Oh Celeststia..."

Rainbow had shards of glass all over her flank and right wing, and already, a few drops of blood could be seen. "Um, Rainbow?" Twilight started after her.

"I'm fine..." mumbled the mare, still limping away.

"Rainbow! You have shards of glass all over you!" Twilight blocked off Rainbow's path. "Listen. We need to get you at least to a first-aid kit. Then you can act all tough," stated the former unicorn. Rainbow just kept walking.


After another half hour of coercing, Rainbow was laying down on Twilight's bed, with Twilight hovering a first aid kit over her. Not quite how I pictured it... she thought to herself.

Twilight stepped up onto the bed, and began her the occasional cry of pain, the room was silent. Finally, the last bandage was on, and Twilight hopped off the bed and placed the kit back in it's original position. "Well, at least we didn't have to go to hospital!" she stated cheerfully. Rainbow just moaned in response, and turned to look at her now bandaged flank and wing.

The athletic pegasus got up and stretched, cracking her non-wounded wing loudly. "Here," Twilight said, after washing her hooves. "It's almost noon. I know we didn't have breakfast, but how about I take you out to lunch?" She smiled at the cyan mare.

Rainbow shifted her hooves uncomfortably. Why is she acting like yesterday never happened? Could it be that... nahhh... she's just trying to be cordial. The pegasus tried to push any hopeful thoughts out of her head.

"Come on, Dash! It'll be fun!"

Rainbow finally gave in, and the duo stepped out of the tree-castle together, and headed into the center of Ponyville. "So, where do you want to eat?" asked Twilight casually.

Rainbow, who felt her heartbeat flutter at the thought of a lunch date... no, no, she's just trying to be nice. This isn't a date. "Uh, wherever you want," replied the ecstatic mare calmer than she ever could have imagined she could speak. They ended up going to Fortunato's, a low-key Italian restaurant. Both of them, having not had breakfast, they ate their food quickly, barely talking to each other.

When the time came to pay for the meal, Twilight put down a few bits on the table at the same time Rainbow Dash did. The typical "who was paying for the meal" argument then started. They ended up eating for free anyways, as the owner noticed that the Princess of Friendship herself had graced the establishment with her presence.

As the two walked out of the restaurant, Rainbow spread her wings to fly back to her cloud home. Suddenly, a sharp pain hit her, and she looked at her wings realizing that she couldn't fly. Twilight stared at her friend sympathetically. "You seem to be grounded," she stated.

"Uhhh, yea. That seems to be the case," replied Rainbow sheepishly, as she blushed for no apparent reason. Why am I blushing? Nothing even happened?

"Well, I guess I'll go crash at Fluttershy's place," said Rainbow Dash, turning.

Twilight looked after, confused. "Rainbow, why don't you just stay at the castle? I have more than enough rooms, and the magic crystals would help your wing heal faster," said the lavender pony.

Now the Rainbow pony had a reason to blush. "Y-your place?" she asked nervously, somewhere between OMG she definitely likes me to oh Celestia she wants to kill me in my sleep!

To be honest, Twilight had almost forgotten about the previous day. But, for the second time, the memories of the event flooded back to her, making her unable to contain a slight blush. "Oh! Um, besides. I think we need to talk about... something," she said, and began to walk towards her castle.

Yep, definitely the second one thought Rainbow, gulping.


Rainbow found her heart beating faster with each step the duo took towards the crystal castle. She was not looking forward to the conversation that was yet to come. The way she saw it, Twilight would either beat the hay out of her, or reject her, and either way, it would not end well. She could risk loosing Twilight as a friend, and she just wouldn't be able to even bear that.

Eventually, they came to the castle, and Twilight led her inside, and beckoned her up the stairs. Reluctantly, Rainbow Dash followed her up. The two entered the bedroom in which the dream experiment was set up. Sitting down on the bed, the lavender more beckoned Rainbow to come sit down next to her. "so..." began Twilight as the pegasus sat. "I think we can both agree that yesterday was a bit chaotic," said the alicorn, half-expecting Discord to show up at the mention of his special "talent."

Rainbow just sat there, silently staring at the soft carpet. She really did not want to have this conversation.

"Well?" asked Twilight. "Is there anything you want to tell me? Maybe ask me?" Twilight prompted.

Wait... what?

Rainbow Dash was not expecting that question. She was waiting for a lecture about the birds and the bees or something. But this, she was not expecting this!

"Uhhhh..." she began unsteadily. "I... um, Twilight," said Rainbow.

Twilight placed an encouraging hoof on Rainbow's back. "Yes, Rainbow?" The cyan pegasus took a deep breath and...

"I think I love you Twilight."

She then proceeded to curl up into a ball and sob uncontrollably, trying to hide her face from her crush's.

Twilight sighed. Almost a full 24 hours had passed since she learned about this secret love, and she had needed to hear it from Rainbow herself. But now as the time came, she still couldn't make up her mind. In her brain, she was almost positive that she liked stallions. However, she had nothing wrong with a same-sex relationship, and there had always been that small part of her...

As she looked at Rainbow, it was suddenly as if she knew exactly what it was she had to say. "Rainbow," said Twilight, almost in a whisper. "I'm strait."

Now it was said. And she could hear her pegasus friend whimper, as she slowly rubbed Rainbow's back.

"Rainbow,, look at me," she ordered. "Please look at me."

The cyan pony's face slowly shifted into her view, her eyes watering, with a pitiful frown plastered to her face.

"Rainbow," said the alicorn. "I admire you greatly for having the courage to even admit it to me. Most ponies would just try to deny it, to pass it off as a sick wet dream or something."

Rainbow just sat there, sadly staring back at Twilight. She doesn't like me... was all Rainbow kept repeating in her head.

Suddenly, Twilight smiled. "Hey, who knows? I've never actually been with a stallion before," she leaned a little closer to Rainbow. "And if it turns out that I'm just confused now, I'll come straight. To. You." The princess emphasized the point by lightly poking Rainbow Dash in the chest. Slowly, the dire words stopped echoing around in her head, and Rainbow was able to calm down. The Pegasus smiled lightly at her alicorn friend, her wings becoming slightly stiff at the suggestion Twilight was making for the future.

"Now," Twilight leaned back. "Friends?" She extended a hoof.

Rainbow grinned even wider and bumped Twilight's off with her own.

"Always."

Author's Note:

Second Chapter yay

(Sorry if I'm kinda dead on the Author's notes here... this was my project for like... a period of 28 hours without internet connection and my kindle. So... I just wrote a story.)