• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 934 Views, 36 Comments

A Deal with the Pale Pony - DragonsHeart



When we die we meet Death and then we have to pass on... But sometimes it gives second chances. A story about Mortality.

  • ...
10
 36
 934

Chapter 7 - Morning

The suns starts to peek through Rainbow Dash’s bedroom window, assaulting Rainbow Dash’s eyes. She pulls the covers over her head. It feels good to be back in her own bed... until her alarm clock goes off. She slams her hoof down on the bedside table and only got pain for her troubles. She sticks her head out of her covers to see that the alarm clock is sitting on her dresser on the other side of room. Groaning she gets out of bed and hits the off button. She sees a note she left for herself, reminding her to take her pills. Groaning again she throws a few pills into her mouth, washing them down with a glass of water. She notices that the alarm has run back to her bedside table.

“I gotta ask Twilight about that alarm,” she says to herself, pulling on a shirt to cover her still slightly shaven chest.

As she leaves her room and wonders what she is going to do today. She can’t practice flying sadly and she has already been woken up so that removes two options. She could see Rarity and get some more shirts, or see Pinkie about the party or… She notices a pony resting its head against the hallway’s wall. It’s Mors. It looks like she just got out of her bathroom and then fell asleep, she even has a toothbrush in her mouth.

“Are you ok, Mors?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“Yes brother, I have done my reaping…” Mors mumbles.

“What are you talking about? Hey, wake up!” yells Rainbow Dash, while shaking Mors.

“Huh, what?” Mors says, waking up. She looks at Rainbow Dash, her hair hanging over face. “Oh, hey, Rainbow Dash, you’re up too?”

“Yes, but it seems you’re not,” comments Rainbow Dash. Mors walks into the bathroom and spit out the toothbrush.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” Mors says, waving her hoof dismissively, “I will go and make Breakfast.”

Rainbow Dash watches as Mors heads towards the stairs. “Are you sure you are Death?” she asks.

“Yeah, of course,” Mors says… before she fell down the stairs.

“Oh no!” Rainbow Dash yells, rushing to the stairs, “Are you ok?” She looks over the stairs and sees Mors laughing.

“Ow, it hurts!” Mors says, between laughs.

“Are you ok?” Rainbow Dash repeats, wondering if Mors has gone insane… or was always insane.

“I will be …hic… fine in a…hic… minute,” Mors says, starting to hiccup.

After a few seconds of laughing and hiccupping, Mors finally stops and gets back on her hoofs all smiles, the fall has woken her up.

“Ok, care to explain that?” asks Rainbow Dash again.

“Sorry,” Mors says sheepishly, “I have trouble showing outward negative emotions, so I usually just laugh when I’m in pain or I’m crying.”

“Right… that must cause troubles,” Rainbow Dash says, slowly.

“Well, I can’t help how I was created.”

Rainbow Dash can’t help think there is something wrong with that sentence. “Don’t you mean ‘We all can’t help how we were created?’” she corrects.

“Nope, you were born, I was created,” Mors says smiling, “Well off to make breakfast.”

Rainbow Dash can’t help the feeling that she just drew a line, reminding her that their different. Shrugging it off she catches up with Mors.

“Wait, let me make breakfast for us,” offers Rainbow Dash.

Mors looks confused, “But why, I don’t need to eat, remember? Only you do,” she says, still smiling.

Actually Rainbow Dash had forgotten, but she isn’t going to tell her. “Well, you don’t need to make me all my meals, I mean you are not my maid or anything.”

“But I got to do something?” Mors says, disappointed.

“Look, I don’t really feel like breakfast anyway,” Rainbow Dash says, rubbing her neck, “So I will just grab an apple to eat and then we can go for a walk.”

“Oh, ok,” Mors says, her smile widening, “So what will we do?”

“Well I need to go see Rarity and Pinkie about somethings,” Rainbow Dash lists off, “But I would also like to visit the rest of my friends as well.”

“Sound fun!” Mors says, happily.

“What, really?” Rainbow Dash says, confused.

“Yeah!” states Mors, grinning, “Anything is fun when I do it with you!”

Rainbow Dash blushes slightly. Could Mors mean… no she just hopefully naïve.

“Is that so?” says Rainbow Dash, collecting herself.

“Yes, because Rainbow Dash is my friend.”

Rainbow Dash frowns. She feels an odd feeling with the word ‘friend’.

“You know just because I agreed to your deal doesn’t mean we are friends yet,” explains Rainbow Dash.

“So how do we become friends then?” Mors asks, her smile not fading.

“Well we gotta hangout first and if we enjoy each other company then we might start to become friends,” says Rainbow Dash, wondering if she is explaining it right.

Mors tilts her head, “Yeah, I guess that make sense… anyway I wasn’t really serious when I called you a friend. I just wanted to try saying it.”

“You’re weird,” replies Rainbow Dash, grabbing an apple and her bag and heading for the door.

“But I never got to say it properly before,” Mors says, following Rainbow Dash.


Rainbow Dash walks down the path to Ponyville. She had decided to walk to Ponyville, because flying is too much of a temptation to fly fast. She turns her attention to the mare behind her, who is skipping and wearing blue summer dress to hide her Cutie Mark. How come Mors never had friends before? She is likeable enough and is fun to be around… a lot like Pinkie Pie. She and Mors could become friends easily. If not for the fact that she is Death.

“Look Mors, when we are in Ponyville you can’t tell anypony that you are Death,” states Rainbow Dash.

“Ok,” Mors replies.

Rainbow Dash frowns. Did she really get it? Well she did managed to stay undiscovered while working at the hospital.

As they enter town, Rainbow Dash sees the local mailmare doing her rounds.

“Hi Derpy,” calls Rainbow Dash.

Derpy turns and waves at the two ponies. “Hi Rainbow Dash, Hi Mors,” she yells back.

“Hi Derpy,” Mors says, smiling, “How’s the filly?”

“Dinky is fine. Thanks for asking,” replies Derpy, walking up to the two ponies, “I hear you just got out of hospital, Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah, just yesterday,” answers Rainbow Dash, feeling that something is off.

“Well I hope you are all better now,” Derpy says, patting Rainbow Dash’s back, “Well I gotta finish my mail run, see ya.”

With that she takes off, nearly hitting a tree. Rainbow Dash turns to Mors.

“You know Derpy?” she asks, curious.

“Nope,” Mors says, smiling, “This is the first time we met.” With that she skips past Rainbow Dash further into town.

“Wait, what?”


Soon Rainbow Dash and Mors stood outside Carousel Boutique.

“Now most of my friends don’t know what to think about you yet so please be careful,” warns Rainbow Dash, knocking on the door.

“Ok,” Mors says, smiling.

The door suddenly opens and Rarity stood there with a grin.

“Please come in,” Rarity say, cheerfully.

“Umm, thank you,” Rainbow Dash say, not expecting this. She expect her to be a bit more hesitant around Mors.

“Thanks Rarity,” Mors says, skipping in, followed by Rainbow Dash… more sedatly.

Once inside Rarity turns and faces Mors.

“I see you are wearing that wonderful dress I suggested, dear,” Rarity says, giddy.

“I know right, at first I was a bit worried it wouldn’t suit me but it does!” Mors says, squealing.

“I told you it would suit you, it show off curves wonderfully but it not too showy,” Rarity responds, enthusiastically.

“Umm, what’s going on?” Rainbow Dash says, totally confused.

“Oh sorry, Dash, you came to get some shirts,” Rarity says, coming to Rainbow Dash’s side and pulling her away.

“Wait, what were you two talking about?”

“Oh, just something you wouldn’t understand,” Rarity says, giggling, as she drags Rainbow Dash off. “Also we must have tea and catch up sometime, dear,” Rarity calls at Mors, before Rainbow Dash and Mors disappears behind a door.

Mors just smiles and nods as they leave the room. When she is alone the smile fades and she cast her head down, the room suddenly going cold.


“Ok, care to explain when you became pals with Rarity?” asks Rainbow Dash, as the two of them walk away from Carousel Boutique. Rainbow Dash’s bag full of new shirts.

“Oh, we are not,” Mors says, smiling, “This is the first time we had that long of a conversation.”

Rainbow Dash is about to question her more about, when a pink head appears in front of her, startling her.

“Hi, Dashy,” Pinkie says, happily, “and hello Mors.”

“What the abyss Pinkie, you surprised me!”

“Sowy,” Pinkie says, looking cute, “But my Pinkie sense said that you were coming, but I decided that I couldn’t wait so I thought I would meet you halfway.”

“I guess you want to talk about the party?”

“Yeah,” Pinkie says, giving a big grin, “I had another thought about it.”

“What about?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“What about we combined your ‘Got Out Of Hospital’ party with Mors’s ‘Welcome To Ponyville’ party!” Pinkie says, excitedly.

“Yeah, I would be fine with that,” replies Rainbow Dash.

“Great! We should have had her party three months ago when she first moved in with you, but she wanted to get used to the town first and then you had to go to hospital and I kinda forgot,” Pinkie says, smiling and whacking the side of her head to show that she derped.

“Wait, three months ago?” says Rainbow Dash, confused.

“Well duh, that when she moved into Ponyville and became your roommate because she was one of your friends in flight school remember?” Pinkie explains very quickly.

“Huh!” exclaims Rainbow Dash, totally confused.

“You don’t mind having the party like this, do you Mors?” asks Pinkie.

“Nope, I’m fine,” answers Mors.

“Great!” Pinkie says, happily, “Now pardon me because I got two parties to make. I will send you guys the invitation later.”

She disappears.

Rainbow Dash turns on Mors. “Ok, what in Tartarus is going…” she tries to say, but a Shetlandish voice interrupts her.

“Ah, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash turns around and sees who she thought it is, Doctor Highlander, who is wearing a full Shetlandish outfit complete with kilt and bagpipes. Rainbow Dash holds back laughing remembering the threat about needles.

“Hi, Ankou,” replies Rainbow Dash.

“I see you are out and about,” he says, in his usual gruff voice.

“Yep, I don’t want to lay about all day,” replies Rainbow Dash.

“That’s good, the fresh air is best” Highlander says.

“Where are you going with your bagpipes?” asks Rainbow Dash, curious.

“I’m going to play for a bunch of my Shetlandish brothers,” he says, proudly.

“That’s… cool,” says Rainbow Dash, wondering how many Shetlandish ponies are in Ponyville.

Highlander frowns, “I’m still sorry we couldn’t find any pony willing to look after you.”

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash says, confused again.

“But I was glad when you told me you had a roommate already,” Highlander says, looking at Mors, “And she looks a fine lass.”

“My name is Mors. Please to meet you Rainbow Dash told me all about you,” Mors says, offering a hoof to shake.

“Good things I hope,” he says, with one of his rare smiles, “Well I see you are doing alright Dash and I won’t brother you two any longer.” With that he walks away.

Mors is waving him off when Rainbow Dash suddenly drags her off into an alley. When they are alone, Rainbow Dash glares at Mors.

“Ok, what’s going on?” asks Rainbow Dash, angrily, “Everypony is treating you like they know you and Doctor Highlander doesn’t even remember you even though you were talking to him yesterday!”

“I guess everything has just changed,” Mors says, softly.

“What?” replies Rainbow Dash, annoyed.

“I am no longer a nurse,” Mors explains, “I am now your roommate.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash repeats, “What do you mean you are no longer a nurse?”

“My existence is temporary. Mors existence as a nurse ended when I left the hospital and I then started a new existence as your roommate and so ponies either remembers new thing about me like your friends or forgot about me like Doctor Highlander.”

“But how came I can remember you as a nurse?” asks Rainbow Dash, shocked.

“Because you know of my true identity, as Death,” answer Mors, “Thus you will never forget anything about me.”

“So you can brainwash ponies?” Rainbow Dash says, frowning.

“It doesn’t do any harm,” reassures Mors, “When I leave this existence and return to just being Death, no pony will remember me and everything will return to normal.”

“Beside me?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“Beside you,” answers Mors.

“Ok… can you explain what has changed then, so I know what to expect?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“Can’t!” responds Mors.

“Why?” asks Rainbow Dash, confused again.

“Because I don’t know what has changed,” answers Mors.

“What?!? But you responded to all of them like you know them and have hang out with them before?” says Rainbow Dash, very confused.

“I am just guessing what to say by what they say. I am used to this,” Mors says, smiling.

Rainbow Dash thinks she sees a hint of sadness in Mors’s eyes, but before Rainbow Dash can be sure she blinks and it gone.

“Is this why you can’t make friends?” asks Rainbow Dash, walking up to beside Mors, “Because you can’t properly meet ponies?”

“Yeah,” Mors say, smiling. She tilts her head forward, causing her messy hair to cover her eyes. “When I join the world of the living as Mors, the universe will find a place for me to fit in so ponies won’t expect I’m Death, but if something changes about me the universe will find me a new place. Every action I do may change how ponies will remember me, tomorrow Rarity, Pinkie, Derpy and Highlander may forget or remember different things about me. The only way for this not to happen is to know my real identity and most would run away in fear if they knew.”

Rainbow Dash lowers her head, trying to see under Mors hair, but it is too long. “That makes sense, I mean I would have run away too if you hadn’t held me. I can now see why you never made friends before.”

“You were wondering?” asks Mors, curious.

“Well I mean you have a very friendly attitude and you are a good cook and well… you’re just very nice pony to be around,” Rainbow Dash says, patting her back, “I mean if you were a normal pony you would have tons of friends!”

“Really?” asks Mors.

“Yeah, you could have nearly as much as Pinkie if it wasn’t for the fact that you are Deat…”

“Yeah, I am Death and I can’t make any friends or be normal because of it. But I only need one friend to experience it and that’s all I need from you, so try and become my friend or at least teach me about it or let me see true friendship, and even if you fail I will not take back my deal,” Mors says, in her usual cheerful voice, but Rainbow Dash can feel something as cold as a wasteland behind it.

Rainbow Dash thought she feels the temperature drop as well. Rainbow Dash is about apologize for what she said when a voice behind them interrupts them.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing in an alley and who’s that?” asks a familiar voice.

Rainbow Dash turns around and sees Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy standing at the one end of the alley.

“Well I see some of your friends are here now,” says Mors, quickly, “I think I will go home and take a nap.” Mors starts walking towards the other end of the alley, hair still hanging over her face.

“Hey, wait! Where are you going?” But it is already too late, she is gone.

“That was rude,” says Twilight, “Who was that anyway?”

“That was Mors, Twilight,” Fluttershy says, walking up beside Twilight, “You know Rainbow Dash’s roommate.”

“A roommate? When did you get a roommate?” asks Twilight, looking shocked and confused.

“A bit before my accident,” Rainbow Dash lies, not looking Twilight in the eyes.

“Could you also thank Mors for me for helping me with Tank? If that’s ok?” asks Fluttershy, meekly.

“Yeah, sure,” Rainbow Dash says, doubting she will.

“How come this is the first I have heard,” Twilight says, annoyed.

“I’m pretty sure you were told,” Fluttershy says.

“Well I don’t remember!” states Twilight, angrily.

“Maybe you were reading at the time,” adds Rainbow Dash, cheekily.

This causes Twilight and Fluttershy to laugh.

“Maybe,” Twilight says, knowing herself.

“I am glad you are better,” states Fluttershy, happily.

“Yeah, me too,” replies Rainbow Dash. “Well I should go after Mors,” Rainbow Dash say, wondering what Mors is doing.

“Wait,” Twilight says, stopping Rainbow Dash, “Why don’t you come and join me and Fluttershy for lunch.”

Rainbow Dash thinks about it. She only had an apple to eat and she is hungry and Mors is properly just tired… “Yeah, ok,” Rainbow Dash answers.

“Great!” says Twilight happily, “It will be great to spend time with you again.”

“Yes, it will be nice,” agrees Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash just nods and follows her friends out of the alley.


Mors walks through the streets of Ponyville, unseen and unnoticed, her head hanged low. An unexpecting pony walks through her and gets a nasty chill.

“I know I am Death, you don’t have to keep reminding me,” Mors says, in a cold cheerful voice.

She stops in front of a shop window and looks at her own reflection. A fixed grin hang on her face and two black holes with a light blue light glowing in the middle for eyes.

“I already know it is impossible to be anything else.”

With that she disappears.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the wait, my editor took forever.
It has also been over a year since I have been writing on Fimfiction.
Hurray for me.