• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 933 Views, 36 Comments

A Deal with the Pale Pony - DragonsHeart



When we die we meet Death and then we have to pass on... But sometimes it gives second chances. A story about Mortality.

  • ...
10
 36
 933

Chapter 6 - Favour (Unedited)

“Now Miss Dash, we need to talk about the favour,” says Mors… no Death, as she holds Rainbow Dash still with her scythe. The raven on Death’s shoulder gives a cold stare.

Rainbow Dash can’t believe it. Mors was Death all along, the sleepy mare is the one pony that Rainbow Dash fears and the one that sent that raven… unless.

“What happened to the real Mors?” asks Rainbow Dash defiantly, “Did you kill her and take her place?”

Death looks shocked. Did Rainbow Dash hit the bullseye? Then she laughs and laughs.

“No, Mors never really existed. She is just my alias,” Death says, wiping a tear from her eye. “You can call me Mors if you want, actually I would like it better if you would.”

“But why?” Rainbow Dash says, confused as all hell, “Why did you hide as nurse?”

“So we could get to know each other,” Death states, smiling.

“Huh! Why!” Rainbow Dash says, even more confused.

“Because of my favour,” Death says, leaning in closer.

“What’s the favour then?” asks Rainbow Dash, leaning back.

Death right next to Rainbow Dash’s ear says quietly, “I want you to teach and let me experience… Friendship.” With that Mors leans away and dissolved her scythe. “I think I will start making dinner now,” she says, heading for the kitchen, leaving a bewildered Rainbow Dash behind.

“Wait, what do you mean by Friendship, Death?” asks Rainbow Dash, chasing after Death.

“Friendship is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people,” says Death, putting on an apron with help from the raven, “Also can you not call me Death. Call me Mors.”

“Fine. But that explanation doesn’t help and doesn’t explain why you want to know about Friendship?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“What else could I ask for? I mean what else can you give me?” asks Death… no Mors, giving her a questioning look.

“I thought you would want something creepy like my blood, soul or… body…” Rainbow Dash says blushing at the last one.

Mors looks confused, “Why would I want any of that? My job is to guide souls to the afterlife not take them and I already have a body of my own, with blood included.”

“But that still doesn’t explain why Friendship?” continues Rainbow Dash, annoyed. Mors doesn’t seems to understand what she meant.

“There is nothing that mortals can give me that I don’t have or can get,” Mors says, getting something out of the fridge, “The only thing mortals have that I don’t is that they live and die.”

“Still don’t getting it,” states Rainbow Dash.

Mors sighs and then giving her a small smile says, “I want to know what it is to become alive. I want to experience things that only the living can do. Over the centuries I have made deals with many mortals to help me experience these thing, like eating, sleeping, fighting, singing and other things as well.”

“But why me?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“Who better than one of the once holders of the Elements of Harmony,” Mors says, smiling chopping up an onion delivered by the raven, “I thought I was very lucky when I happen to find one soul that could help learn about friendship.”

“Yeah lucky,” say Rainbow Dash, bitterly.

Mors looks embarrassed. “Sorry. Also you don’t have to worry if we can’t become friends,” she says, now cutting up a carrot that the raven also delivered before settling on top of the fridge, “It won’t validate our deal or anything.”

“That good to know… wait if all you wanted was friendship why in Tartarus did you pull your scythe on me?” Rainbow Dash says, now remembering.

“Because you looked like you were going to run away,” Mors says, smiling again.

“Because you had a weird look on your face and I just found out about that you were Death!” yells Rainbow Dash.

“And?” says Mors, not getting.

Rainbow Dash does a facehoof can she really be this native? Does she know how scary Death is? Removing the hoof from her face she finally notices what Mors actually is doing, “Wait, you can cook?”

“Yeah, I did say so before,” Mors says, looking through some of the cupboards.

“But that was when you were pretending to be Mors?” says Rainbow Dash.

“I am Mors!” she says, annoyed.

“But why would Death need to cook… unless you need to eat,” asks Rainbow Dash, curious.

“No, I don’t need to eat,” Mors says, with a laugh.

“Then why?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“Because I wanted to,” says Mors, rubbing the back of her neck, “It looked interesting, so I asked somepony to teach me.”

“Really?” says Rainbow Dash. She then yawns, releasing she is pretty tired. “Well I am going to take a nap, call me when it’s dinner.”

“Wait, I have a question,” Mors says, appearing in front of Rainbow Dash surprising her, “Why didn’t you say anything to your friends about your shortened lifespan?”

Rainbow Dash surprised face changes into an awkward smile, “Well, I didn’t want them to worry. I mean I still got about ten years, right, that a lot of time. I mean I just got out of hospital and I don’t want anything to change between us or anything.”

Mors frowns not understanding Rainbow Dash reasons, “Then why are you taking this so well? Only yesterday you were told that your lifespan is shortened and yet you remain so calm?”

Rainbow Dash gives a tired smile, “Because I have already died remember? This life I live now is a gift, and I am not going to waste it by grieving about what I have already lost.”

Mors looks shocked and then she starts to give a gentle smile, “Yes, you should do that and I’m sure that when you leave this world it will be with no regrets.” With that Mors disappears and reappears in the kitchen, briefly surprising Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash turns to smile at the Pale pony and who then waves her off, Rainbow Dash then heads to bed for a nap.


Rainbow Dash sat in front of a steaming bowl of soup, while on the other side of the dinning table Mors sat head in hooves, watching her.

“So this is safe to eat, right?” asks Rainbow Dash, cautiously, “I mean what’s in it.”

“Just vegetables and seasoning,” sighs Mors.

Rainbow Dash looks down at the bowl. It looks normal but it is a soup made by Death. She picks up the spoon and takes a small sip. To her surprise it tastes very good, even excellent.

“This soap is amazing, Mors!” Rainbow Dash says, taking another sip, “It is the best soap I have ever tasted.”

“Thanks, my teacher would be happy to hear that,” says Mors, smiling.

As Rainbow Dash digs into her meal she notices a book on the table. She picks it up, it reads, ‘Archimagirus Cookbook, By Archimagirus.’ It had a pretty boring cover, made of leather with no pictures, with only had its title to decorate it. She opens the front page and sees written on it, ‘Dedicated to my dear pupil.’

“Do you like looking at other ponies stuff?” asks Mors, happily.

“Oh sorry,” Rainbow Dash says, handing the book to Mors, “So this Archimagirus, was he your teacher?”

“Yeah, he was,” says Mors, who then gives Rainbow Dash an expectant look.

“Well ummm… am sure he would be very proud of you for… making this,” Rainbow Dash says, not sure what Mors wants her to say.

Mors looks surprised and then laughs. Rainbow Dash blushes. Mors really has a nice laugh. “I guess you have never heard of Archimagirus,” she says wiping the tears out of her eyes.

“No, should I?” asks Rainbow Dash, confused.

“No, it doesn’t really matter,” says Mors, giggling.

Rainbow Dash looks confused for a moment and then shrugs. After she finishes her soap, Mors comes and takes the bowl away. Then Rainbow Dash notices something, “Aren’t you going to have some?”

“No, I don’t really need to eat,” Mors says, smiling, “I much prefer to make others food than to eat myself anyway.” After saying that Mors continues to the kitchen. After dropping off the dishes, she notices the still open box of chocolates from Rainbow Dash’s last coltfriend.

“Oh sorry,” says Rainbow Dash, noticing what Mors is looking at, “I already ate them all.”

“No. There is still one more,” Mors says, reaching down and picking up a chocolate that Rainbow Dash must have missed and popped it into her mouth. Mors frowns as she eats the chocolate, “This chocolate tastes of regret, sadness and depression?”

Rainbow Dash freezes when she hears this. She is basically describing what she felt when she broke up with her coltfriend.

“The pony that made these must really hate their job,” Mors says, swallowing the chocolate.

Rainbow Dash sighs in relief. She didn’t get that it was her feelings… wait what, sensing feelings?

“Mors can you sense what others are feeling?” asks Rainbow Dash.

“No, but I can read feeling that were left behind by somepony,” explains Mors, smiling.

“I see,” Rainbow Dash says, slightly weirded out, “Well I think I will hit the hay.”

“I think I will too after I do the dishes,” says Mors, smiling.

“No. Just leave it and I will do them in the morning,” says Rainbow Dash, not wanting to be spoiled.

“Are you sure? I mean I don’t mind,” says Mors, looking slightly nervous.

“Nah, it will be fine,” Rainbow Dash says, waving it off.

“Well then, I guess I will retire too,” Mors says, smiling as she leaves the room. As she walks past Rainbow Dash notices that the raven is now suddenly sitting on her back.

‘One day I will have to ask her about that raven,’ thinks Rainbow Dash, as she follows Mors upstairs to her own bed.


Rainbow Dash lies on her bed. Her mind full of thoughts of Death/Mors. She isn’t anything like she imagined, she isn’t evil or cruel. She just like a normal pony… or maybe not. She is kind, good-natured, outgoing and maybe even slightly naive, but in the end that just makes her more likeable. She only had one problem, that she is Death. She wonders if she can become friends with her. With those thoughts in mind she falls asleep.

While in the spare room Mors gets out of bed. She puts on her robe and then grabbing her scythe disappears to reap the souls of the todays fallen.

Author's Note:

Oh my, another unedited chapter.
How naughty of me:pinkiecrazy:
Seriously I really think the chapters will slow down now.
And if I am wrong, May a low flying pigeon **** me royally.
Hope you enjoy.
Also the next chapter will be the first of a series of interludes about Death, so yeah... watch out for that.