• Published 5th Jun 2015
  • 1,610 Views, 10 Comments

Ruin for Pun: the kilala97 Edition - TheMessenger



A collection of either five delightful short stories ruined by a single line OR five unnecessarily long jokes with extremely lame punch lines, all taking place in the kilala97 universe.

  • ...
1
 10
 1,610

Our Little Escape

The town was crowded. It normally was this time of day, this time of year. The sun had just begun its daily descent, and ponies rushed from house to house, store to store, doing their best to finish their errands before the chilly autumn evening arrived. Friends and acquaintances greeted one another as they passed by, and those who had the minutes to spare carried their conversations through the entire journey through town. Every now and then, a pony would bump into another, as one would expect in such a crowded town, but this was Ponyville, and such accidents were resolved with a few simple apologies from both parties.

Even Api, as impatient as she was, held back the immediate urge to snap at the clumsy stallion that had trotted into her and caused her to drop her bag of caramelized carrots.

"Sorry, sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," the stallion said hurriedly as his magical glow cleansed each carrot before depositing them back into the brown paper bag. Api was bent over beside him, picking up the books scattered around.

"Nose deep in a book 'gain?" Api clicked her tongue. "That's a bad habit, Nighty."

Night Light Jr. rubbed the back of his head as he laughed weakly. "Sorry, I was just in the middle of--"

"Some important discovery that'll change the entire way we look at horseshoes and scented candles, no doubt," Api droned dully. "Aw, loosen up," she said when Night Light started to pout. She stuck his shoulder playfully, her grin widening as she saw the stallion wince. "Look, I'm sure it'd be pretty interesting if I understood a lick of what you were talkin' 'bout, but I don't so it ain't."

"You shouldn't say that so assuredly. You're smarter than you give yourself credit, you know." The unicorn paused for a moment before smirking. "But, you're probably right."

Api chuckled. "So, uh--"

"I think we should get off street," Night Light said. "We're blocking traffic." He passed the paper bag to Api before gathering his books. "Anyways, it was good to see you, but I have get going."

"Hold on." Api stopped him with a grab at the blue and purple scarf around his neck. Her hoof retreated and quickly adjusted her own. "So, uh..." She cleared her throat. "Cider this Friday?"

There was a sad tilt in Night Light's smile. "You're leaving that morning, remember?"

"Oh, right." Api tucked her muzzle under the scarf, hiding behind the pattern of pies knitted into the green weave.

"Maybe when you get back." He turned away and breathed heavily, his breath visible in the cold fall air. "It's going to be a pretty quiet with you away, not to mention Echo's--"

Api looked up in time to catch Night Light rub his eyes. "Anyways, I-I'll see you at the tomorrow, I-I mean, at the party tomorrow. You'll be there, right?"

She couldn't help but snort. "Like I'd miss my own farewell party."

"Good. There's, uh, something I want to give. To you I mean." With a stack of books floating next to him, Night Light smiled awkwardly. "See you then."

"Yeah."

They separated, and soon, Night Light Jr. disappeared into the crowd, moving deeper into Ponyville, toward the castle that served as his home. Api Apple walked in the opposite direction, toward the edge of the town, where fewer ponies wandered the streets. She continued to move just as slowly however, with her head low and her bag crushed against her.

The paved road transitioned to a dirt one, and the buildings and shops that made up much of the town were replaced with small houses and trees. The red and gold leaves crunched in protest underneath Api's hooves as she followed the trail.

The wind howled by, and Api tightened her scarf. "Wish I had a hat," she muttered as the wind blew her mane to and fro. She trudged forward.

The farmhouse in the distance grew larger as she drew closer. She walked around the wooden fence that surrounded their land, under the little archway that said Sweet Apple Acres, past the orchard trees stripped of their fruits and leaves. There, just to the side, was a little sign with the faded image of a red cherry, designating Red June's section of the farm. It was a little odd, well, at least Api found it odd, how similar her cousin's cherry trees and the rest of the family's apple trees looked when naked.

Maybe, when she returned, she would find those bare branches adorned with thousands of tiny white snowflakes or maybe with white and pink blossoms. Maybe even fruit. She shook the thought away and moved on.

Api sniffed at the air. The faint scent of apple cinnamon pie was there, traveling all the way from the farmhouse. Light peeked out of every window, and she could hear laughter and hoofsteps, the unintelligible rumble of conversation, the creaking of the kitchen floor board, all the sounds of life and family. If she tried hard enough, if she strained her ears, maybe she could distinguish the airy Trottingham lift of her father's from the warm and comforting twang of her mother, aunt, uncle, and cousin.

Was her cousin-in-law there as well? Api couldn't remember if Prince Valiant Heart had been visiting, but if Red June was here, so was her prince. Api sighed, then smirked. She took a step toward the house when a sudden gust flew by and snatched away her scarf, carrying it away.

The bag fell to the ground. Api tore after the scarf, her visible breath flowing past her like mist. Her heart reached a crescendo as it flew higher and higher. She lowered her head and broke into a full gallop. Her knees bent as she prepared to launch herself after the scarf.

As suddenly as it appeared, the wind vanished. The scarf dropped. Api caught it before it could fall into the dirt. Breathing heavily, she brought the scarf to her face and sniffed. "Granny."

She wrapped it around her neck and pulled until it hurt to swallow. She tried to loosen it ever so slightly, then simply tightened it again. This was fine, Ape decided before looking around. The farmhouse was behind her; she had passed it and had gone deeper into Apple property. It was still familiar territory, for her at least. Api had spent a good part of her life here after all. She patted the worn down ramp leading to the little house sitting in a tree.

So many memories. So many adventures. It had been her little escape from the monotony of daily life, from the endless farm chores and school-related woes, where she and her friends could plan and prepare. The paint had long since peeled away, but Api still found her clubhouse, their clubhouse, beautiful.

The wood creaked in protest as her hoof pressed on the ramp, and she hesitated. Api scowled at herself. Cowardice and hesitancy didn't suit her. She leapt onto the ramp and charged forward. She half-expected the whole thing to collapse under her weight, she wasn't a filly anymore after all, but it stood as it had faithfully years and years ago.

The doorway had gotten smaller, no, she had gotten bigger. Api had to duck down as she pushed open the door, which scraped against the floor. The hinged squeaked, begging for grease. It was like hearing a foal cry. Api's heart broke.

She had expected the place to be dusty, dark, and deserted. It was indeed dusty, but it wasn't dark enough to hide how deserted the clubhouse wasn't. "What are you two doing here?"

The unicorn and the pegasus looked up, startled, then looked toward each other, embarrassed. "Oh, you know." Pixel tittered. "Trying to surprise you."

Api raised an eyebrow. "Well, color me surprised. Not sure how you'd figure I be comin' here. I wasn' even plannin' on it."

"No, we were trying to find you something to take with you," Pixel explained. "You know, to remember us by."

Api's mouth fell open. "Oh, c'mon, Ponyville'll only be a day away by train. I can visit anytime after I get settled," she protested. "You don' think I'd actually forget 'bout ya'll, do you?"

"A lot could happen, even in just a few months," Pixel responded excitedly. She began to pace. "A few months could become a few more months, and then a few years! Maybe somepony makes you an offer you can't refuse. Maybe you end up in debt and have to change your identity and everything. What if you fall in love?" She gasped and rushed to Api, placing her hooves on her shoulders. "What then? Did you ever think of that, Admiral?"

"Pixel, I don't--"

"Think about it! You meet a stallion. You date. You have his foal. He leaves you, and you can't come home out of shame. How are you going to find time to remember us when you're busy working yourself to the bone, trying to support yourself and your child? How, Api, how?"

"Pix--"

"How?"

"Let me breath!" Api pushed her away, her face red. "Calm the bloody el down, would you? You really think that'd happen to me? Me, of all mares, falling for some tosser who got too much blood going to one bloody head and not enough to the one that matters?"

"Well, maybe." Pixel rubbed the back of her head. "No, I guess not." She hung her head shamefully. "Sorry, I guess I wasn't thinking straight."

Api smiled and helped the mare back up onto her feet. "You rarely do, Pixel," she said, her rural accent returning. The smile wavered. "Don' go changin' that while I'm gone, you hear. I want to see Pixel Bit bein' as awkward as I remember her when I get back."

"I'm not that awkward." Still, Pixel smiled. "You'll write, right?"

"Course. You'd better too." Api turned to the pegasus. "Both of you, alright? I wanna hear about everythin' happening in Ponyville and Cloudsdale."

Pixel sniffed as Echo stepped forward and nodded. The three mares shared a smile before huddling into an embrace. Seconds passed by, along with the cool autumn air, and the three drew even closer, tightening their holds around one another. Finally, they separated. "So," Api said, rubbing the back of her neck before clearing her throat. "So, find anything interesting?"

"Not much," answered Echo. "We cleaned this place out pretty thoroughly. Found some candy wrappers and a few toy parts. Oh, and this."

She held up a shabby old square of cloth. Once upon a time, it might have had a magnificent ruby hue with a lovely golden lining that glimmered in the light. There had been the crest of a purple shield masterfully stitched to the back with a large gold S in the middle. Pixel's mother had always asserted that she had done most of the work, with a little help from her sister the seamstress, though the mysterious smile Pixel's aunt wore convinced the three otherwise.

Mrs. Rarity would have likely fainted at sight of her creation now. The color had faded to a pinkish gray. Stray strands of fabric stretched out from the side, trying to escape. The gold lining had grown dull and dusty. The shield's stitches were beginning to stick out, and the S, while still readable, if a bit indistinguishable from the number five, had lost its shine.

"Is, is that..." Api's hoof was hesitant. When Echo gave the cloth to her, she held it at leg length.

"It's our old cape," Echo said. "I'm not sure whose it is. Pixel can't remember where hers is, and, well, neither can I." She sighed. "Is it yours?"

"I-I don't know," Api stammered. "It's, it's been so long, I think I forgot, I mean..." She took a deep breath. "Geez, I can't even remember what the S stood for."

Pixel placed an assuring hoof on Api's shoulder. "Hey, it's fine. We get it, it's been a while. I mean, can you remember the last time we had a meeting together at the clubhouse?"

"It's always at Sugar Cube Corner or town hall or something like that these days." Echo walked to the entrance and ran her hoof along the old rotting door frame. "Last time I remember hanging in here was when we were still foals."

"What're you talkin' about?" Api demanded. "Pretty sure we were all teenagers last time we were all here. Remember, the Nightmare Night dance party? Trying to set Nightly and Icy up with dates?"

"Wait, with each other? Since when? Are they still--"

"No! Come on, Pix," Api groaned. "Icy ended up with you, then Echo went with Nightly."

"Hmm, no." Pixel folded her forelegs over her chest. "I think I'd remember going out with Mr. Cool Guy."

"Oh, right, I remember now." Echo laughed. "Icy didn't know about your sugar problem and took you out candy collecting before the dance began. He ended up giving the best sweets to you."

"'Sweets for the sweets'," Api said extravagantly before breaking into a laugh. Echo grinned.

"Exactly. Anyways, you ended up destroying half of Ponyville after picking a fight with a Ursa Major, crashed and went comatose, then woke up two days later with no memory."

Pixel tapped her chin. "Huh, that would explain why Mom still won't let me out on Nightmare Night without super supervision. Oh!" A giant smile lit across her face. "I remember the last time we met here," she sang.

"Really?" Api ran through her memories. She frowned. "When?"

"Well, okay, so it was really only me and Echo, but--"

"Oh, Celestia," Echo groaned, shaking her head.

"What?" Api turned to Echo, then back to Pixel. "What?"

"Well, remember that one Hearts and Hooves day?" Pixel asked. "The one where you just happened to run into Nightly while on the way to the library while he just so happened to be looking for a mare to help him test a new 'intelligence sharing' potion that he just so happened to discover that day in a book that just so suddenly appeared at the top of his reading list?"

Api's jaw fell. "You serious? You mean the two of you were responsible for the whole love poison fiasco? Seriously? You two are the worst. I couldn't look Night Light in the eye for a whole month!"

"It couldn't have been more than a week," Echo disputed. "Remember, he asked you out the following weekend."

A bright red glow gleamed across Api's face. "It was just milkshakes!"

"And Winter Wrap Up that year?" Pixel questioned with a knowing smile.

"That was as friends! We're friends, nothing wrong with hanging out with friends."

"What about that one Hearth's Warming eve?" Echo added in.

"W-we got caught up in the moment, that's all! I mean, with the music and all that mistletoe following us around, we--" Api gasped. "Was that you too? Agh!"

"Hey, we learned from the best," Pixel snickered, poking at Api's side.

"Pft, yeah right," Api scoffed. "Come on, remember getting Prince Valiant and my cousin alone together right beneath her favorite cherry tree just as it began to flower? Petals and bird songs in the air, floating around a perfect pair." She smirked. "Now that's perfection."

"Ugh, this place was wallpapered with charts that entire week," Echo groaned, bringing a hoof to her forehead. "That was almost as bad as your huge romance web or whatever you called it."

"Oh geez." Pixel giggled. "I can't believe I forgot about that. Remember how I kept getting caught in the yarn? Oh!" The unicorn gasped and clapped her hooves together. "I think I know what the S stands for!"

"You do?" Api leaned forward excitedly. "What is it? What is it?"

"Shipping!"

Pixel's triumphant smile was met with confused frowns. Her friends looked to each other, only to receive the same blank look in return. They slowly turned back to the mare hopping before them, looking expectantly. "Eh? Eh?" Pixel prompted.

"What do boats have to do with anything?" Echo asked, her eyebrows raised.

"I think she's talkin' 'bout makin' deliveries," Api ventured.

"What? No, it's, um, you know." Pixel waved her hoof around desperately in Api's face. "You know, ships? Shipping? Admiral?"

Api rubbed the back of her head, "Yeah, see, I never really got that nickname."

"Seriously?"

"I just figured that was just you were bein' you." Api shrugged. "Besides, I'd have figured the S had somethin' to do with adventure. I mean, remember all those fun times we had?" The mare smiled fondly as she stared past her friends, at the blank dirty wall that had once been covered in posters and lists of activities. "Snorkeling in the lake, exploring that old abandoned cave, looking for diamond dogs, catching vampire fruit bats, climbing Princess Twilight's castle..."

Echo rolled her eyes. "Starburst got so angry at us for that one."

"Well, we did end up breaking the window to her room," Pixel snickered.

"...dragon taming..."

Pixel and Echo suddenly shuddered. "Yeah, let's not relive that memory," Echo said, her throat tightening.

"Oh, it wasn' that bad," Api scoffed. "Mr. Spike was a great sport, and we even got a few good shots in."

"Yeah, but remember what Claire did?" Pixel whispered, her eyes darting side to side as if her half-dragon cousin could appear at any moment.

"Okay, yeah, well, it was fun while it lasted, right?" Api laughed weakly and withered under Pixel and Echo's glares. "Okay, bad example, but the important thin' was that we tried and had fun and that Pixel's mane only took a week to grow back. Now that was an adventure."

Pixel and Echo exchanged looks before breaking into grins. "I guess we did have our share of adventures," Echo said as she leaned against the wall. "A good number of close shaves."

Pixel joined her. "We've had some good times together, the three of us," she agreed.

Api suddenly plopped herself between the two and wrapped her forelegs around their shoulders. "And we're gonna have a bunch more. Adventure's still out there, just waiting for us." She stretched her hooves forward, reaching out. "There's just still so much to see. Equestria's a huge place. C'mon gals, next stop, Appleloosa!"

Echo shifted uncomfortably. "Um, Api--"

"Out on the frontier, where the buffalo roam. A land brimmin' with danger." Api laughed. "C'mon, can ya'll picture it? Stampedin' with the local buffalo, drivin' horse drawn carriages, racin' bandits and protectin' crops from thieves." She took a deep breath. "Can't you smell the adventure?"

"Api, we won't be there, remember?"

Api's mouth hung open in silence at Pixel's words. Slowly, her wild smile faded. Her forelegs dropped to her sides, and she let herself slump down against the wall. "Oh."

"I mean, it still sound freaking amazing," Pixel quickly added, "a-and boy, I can't wait to hear all about it. In your letters, I mean." She swung her hoof as enthusiastically as she could.

"You guys won' be there." Api swallowed. "This, I don', is this really gonna be a solo adventure? I-I mean, we've always had them together."

"Well, Appleloosa's a pretty, uh, relatively big town, right? It's not like you won't be around other ponies." Pixel's smile was strained, forced. "You can always find somepony else while you're there."

"But we won' be together!" Api snapped, causing Pixel to cringe. The earth pony's features immediately softened her. "Sorry, it's just, it's always been the three of us, or two of us, or two of us plus Icy and sometimes Nighty and occasionally the Pie twins. I'm with one of you, anyways. And, and..." Her breaths came out in short, quick bursts. She began to shake as she fought to keep the watering of her eyes from becoming tears.

"It won't be the same without us, without me and Pixel." Echo placed a comforting hoof on Api's shoulder. "That's what you're thinking, right?"

Api nodded. She rubbed her eyes furiously. She suddenly rushed forward as Echo's touch became an embrace. "E-Echo?"

"It's just until your cousin Braeburn recovers," she heard the pegasus say quietly. "You'll be back in no time, so don't worry, please."

"Hey, she's right." This time, Pixel Bit's smile appeared more relaxed, more natural. "And like you said, Appleloosa's, what, just a day away by train? It's not like you can't visit us."

"Not everyday." Api's gaze was lowered to the floor. "Maybe not even every week. I might end up too busy to see ya'll. And soon Echo'll be up in Cloudsdale, so who knows when we'll all be together 'gain." Her entire figure seemed to sink. "It just won' be the same as before."

"We're not the same as before. Nothing is," Echo said with a sigh. "You're taking over the Apple farm, least until your cousin gets better, I'm going to Cloudsdale to study. We're all growing up now, I guess. We're not fillies anymore." Echo patted the dusty old floor board below her. "It's been nice, but now, well..." Slowly, she stood up. Pixel and Api watched as Echo made her way to the clubhouse exit. She looked over her shoulder, toward her friends. "Maybe it's time to move on, you know?"

Pixel and Api watched Echo leave. They heard her hoofsteps fall against the creaking boards. The two simply sat there, staring at the spot Echo had been, until Api, wiping at her eyes, climbed to her feet and ran forward. The tattered cloth fluttered to the ground, right beside Pixel.

When she got to the threshold, to the boundary between the clubhouse interior and the outside, Api hesitated. She shook her head and forced herself forward. Cowardice and hesitancy didn't suit her, never did, but despite the determine glare she wore, Api found herself moving slowly, very slowly, down the ramp. She stopped and looked back.

It wasn't the clubhouse she remembered. That one stood tall and proud, like a castle. This was rundown and dull, its beauty faded and fading. Perhaps one day, the door would swing smoothly and the floorboards would stop creaking and everything would be painted in a new shiny coat. Api took a deep breath and charged down.

Echo stood at the bottom, waiting, stepping out of the way when Api jumped the rest of the way down. Api made her way beside Echo. They turned to the doorway and waited.

"Hey, Echo? Sorry."

The pegasus blinked. "Sorry? About what?"

"I, well, I guess I just kept makin' this about me, but you're goin' through the same stuff' I am." Api looked up into the sky. Stars twinkled and winked as they looked from above. "Honesty, I'm feelin' mighty jealous of how well you're takin' everythin'."

"Please." Echo released an empty laugh. "I'm downright terrified about going to Cloudsdale. I mean, I've lived on the surface my entire life, now I'm about to spend the next two years in the clouds with ponies who might not even know what a rabbit looks like." She shuddered. "I'm scared, Api, real scared."

"Well, you're doin' a fine job of hiding it."

Echo's eyes met Api's. "Remember all those adventures we've had, the ones that were actually kind of dangerous? You'd always act tough, tell us all these encouraging words. You've always made me feel braver, you know?" Echo smiled. "Guess it was time to return the favor."

The smile was shared briefly before both turned back to the clubhouse just in time to see Pixel Bit tumble out and miss the ramp. "Pixel!" they shouted, rushing toward the fallen mare curled among the orange leaves.

"Pix, you okay?" Api asked. She helped the unicorn up and dusted her, checking for bruises and cuts.

"Y-yeah, of course," Pixel said, her voice cracking. She quickly ran her foreleg against her eyes, brushing away tears. "I-it's me, remember? At, at least I'm not on fire or anything." She tried to laugh.

Api looked up from her fussing and frowned. "Pixel, what's wrong?"

"It's just, I don't know if I'm ready to move on or grow up or whatever, okay?" Pixel held up the dirty, old cape and pressed it against her chest. "I don't want things to change. I want us to stay together, always. I want us to stay friends. Please," she sobbed into the cloth, "please stay with me."

Api stood on her right, Echo on her left. Both mares leaned toward the crying unicorn as she hid her face with the old cloth and held onto her. "Pixel, we can't," Echo said quietly. "There're things we need to do on our own."

Api gently removed the cloth from Pixel's face. "Sorry, Pixel. I wish we could all stay together like this too, but Echo's right. That's jus' how life works, I guess, it changes. But hey, you remember why you came here for, don' you?"

Pixel shook her head. She looked to Api expectantly.

"You tryin' to find somethin' I could remember ya'll by." Api chuckled. "C'mon, you really think I'd forget you and Echo? You think Echo'll forget the two of us?" She grinned. "Naw and nope. Life'll change, right? Not a whole lot you can do 'bout that."

"But that doesn't mean we can't still be friends," Echo finished. She smiled as well. "Maybe we won't be living in the same town, and maybe we won't see each other everyday--"

"But we'll still have each other. And besides..." Api stepped away. She moved toward the decrepit, dull clubhouse, their clubhouse. "No matter how long I stay in Appleloosa, Ponyville'll still be my home. No matter where we end up, we'll still have Ponyville." She playfully prodded Pixel's forehead. "We'll still have each other."

The unicorn wiped away the last of her tears and returned Api's smile. Api draped the tattered, old cloth over the ramp leading to the clubhouse.

"And we'll always have our little S cape."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment