• Published 15th May 2012
  • 3,918 Views, 158 Comments

Dashed Hopes and Reformed Dreams - ChaoticHarmony

  • ...
8
 158
 3,918

House Call

Chapter 6: House Call

Rainbow paced in her cloud mansion, back and forth over the same spot. She had walked around on the floor so much that the clouds had started to thin enough to pull apart and fall slowly downward. Rainbow didn’t even notice, flapping her wings to fly through the same place she had paced. She barely enjoyed being able to fly normally again being so focused on waiting.

”Now Dash,” Wind had said to her, smiling a little at her objection, “You know that you got blood all over this thing when we tried it on in the hospital. I'm just gonna get it cleaned.” Even though he had been right, Rainbow still didn’t like having another pony take her brand new suit out to get cleaned. However, Rainbow didn’t normally wear clothes, so she didn’t know who to go to get her suit cleaned herself. So, she resigned herself to allowing Wind to go. He can faster than I can anyway. At least, right now he can. Rainbow amended her thought will a small, irritated growl. The fact that anypony else could go faster than her was irritating.

There was a banging on her door, and she halted her frantic pacing. She dashed to the door, crashing into it in her excitement. Of course, her door was made of clouds, so she went straight through it and straight into the group of ponies outside her door. As she lay disoriented, she could hear about 5 other ponies groaning about being tackled when they came to visit a friend.

Rainbow looked around on the cloud lawn, taking in Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy all pulling their heads out of the clouds. She hadn’t expected her friends to come visit her instead of waiting for her to visit them. Oh that’s right! They didn’t know I was in the hospital. I bet they are pretty worried! Rainbow Dash flew over and began to help each pony get free of the cloud.

“Ugh, these clouds taste TERRIBLE! They are worse than RAINBOWS! Imagine having to live in something that looked like cotton candy but tasted really really really bad!” Pinkie didn’t seem to take a breath during those three sentences, and when she began to speak again, she was cut of quickly by Applejack’s hoof.

“Now Sugercube, Ahm sure that you’d hate it, but we came here to talk to Rainbow, remember?” Applejack said in a tone that everypony used with Pinkie, hoping that she would shut up. “Ah know that’d you love to tell Rainbow about the party we are throwin’ for he- Awww shoot! Ah just tol’ ya didn’t I? Sorry Sugarcube.”

The pink earth pony looked at her, bouncing up and down in front of her. “Ooooh that’s right! Wind is throwing a party for you Dashie! We all helped him of course, he would never be able to do it all by himself!” She looked about ready to start the party right there on the clouds, but Rainbow Dash put a hoof in her mouth much like Applejack had done.

Rainbow looked off into the horizon and saw that the sun had nearly gone down. “Woah, what the hay! Cuts has been gone with my suit for nearly the entire day!” Rainbow’s voice cracked towards the end of the sentence as she darted to the edge of the cloud to leap into the orange sky. As she did so, she didn’t listen to the sound of her friends calling her back.

000

Wind Cutter was flying up to the top of the barn with Ditzy, holding the recently-painted banner between them carefully with their teeth. Holding it in place, Wind had to try hard not to jump away as a hoof slammed in front of his face onto the nail that was to hold up the banner. The hoof came down again, and he shuddered violently as the air from the blow washed over his face. The hoof pushed in the nail the rest of the way, stomping in front of his face and then lifting away. Wind flew back into the wall, and let out a large sigh. The pegasus who was doing the hammering, Cloud Dancer, smiled at his reaction and winked at him. He had always thought that she had a thing for him, but he was never quite sure. He was relieved from her smiling after Ditzy called her over, her voice muffled with the rope in her mouth. Wind was hesitant about letting Ditzy be the one to help him with the banner, but if she didn’t, she would be the one doing the hammering, and everypony knew how that would turn out. Even with a simple job like putting up a small banner, Ditzy somehow managed to sprain a hoof and knock a hole it the roof. At least the banner is finally up, Wind thought as he surveyed the damage.

Wind flew down to the hay-dusted floor of the barn, looking at the banner that Painter Breeze and Ink Lines had painted. There was a very realistic painting of Rainbow, flying through a cloud and looking as if she were going to win a race, a large smile was painted on her face. They even got the chip in her front tooth right, Wind thought amazedly, Of course Dash has been here for ages, so why wouldn’t everypony know our town’s weather team captain?

Looking around the rest of the barn, Wind saw that the party cannon was lying in the corner, freshly loaded by Pinkie Pie. That pony had a taste for parties like he had never seen before. I mean, is there anypony else in Equestria that has a party cannon? That pony loves parties so much that it’s nearly a medical issue. Shaking his head, Wind continued his survey of the rest of the barn.

The tables, loaded down with food, were set by the Apple family’s famous Apple Catering Crew. Apple Bite and Apple Munch were famous for their abilities to wait on tables, working at Canterlot’s more famous restaurants. Of course, they would come at the bequest of their sister, Applejack. She would probably buck them if they didn’t come. I would have come too if it meant having a pony like her off my back. Shivering with a small bolt of fear at being on Applejack’s bad side, he turned around again, observing the rest of the party.

The decorations and the like had been handled by Rarity of course. She had been the first one to volunteer to help for the party, wanting to make it “absolutely dashing”. Wind was nervous at first, knowing Rarity’s love for proper fashions and parties, but has he took them in, he saw that nothing had any frilly stuff on it. There wasn’t a thing out of place, and there was even the slogan “20% cooler” painted on the cake that had been provided by the Cakes, though it was in Rarity’s elegant script instead of something that Rainbow would write. Wind couldn’t help but groan as he looked at the cake, finding it very hard to not taste it. They used Zap Apples to create the special rainbow frosting, giving the cake a delicious taste of apples, yet giving Rainbow a cake in her favorite color, rainbow of course.

“Well, did we do good?” Cloud Dancer walked up to him, brushing her tail accidentally against his side. He shivered a little at her soft tail’s touch, and he looked around once more at the party. Everything was perfect, and he knew Rainbow Dash would love it. Of course, he had sent an invitation to the Wonderbolts to attend, but they had respectfully declined. He knew that they had way too much to do in terms of shows that they couldn’t really spare any time for parties. Cloud Dancer nudged him with a hoof and he snapped out of his thoughts. He nodded once, and everypony cheered. Cloud Dancer, a little too close, cheered as well, flying up into the air and brushing against his back again with a wing this time.

He shuddered again, and looked out the window, searching the sky for Rainbow Dash. He had her suit stored away in a saddlebag that was in the loft of the barn, but he knew she would have normally been looking for him by now. His heart fell a little as he looked for her with no avail. Then it soared when he saw the familiar trail of rainbow lights heading straight towards the barn.

Author's Note time: Sorry everypony! I've been writing a lot for my other stories, and what with camping and all, I haven't been able to really update this one. I'm falling back into the rhythm though, so expect more updates.... Sadly, my computer is getting taken today to be checked up on. So I won't have a chapter tomorrow more than likely. Sorry everypony!