• Published 15th May 2012
  • 3,923 Views, 158 Comments

Dashed Hopes and Reformed Dreams - ChaoticHarmony

  • ...
8
 158
 3,923

Don't Chicken Out

Chapter 10: Don't Chicken Out

That look on his face, absolutely priceless. Spitfire had to work to keep from laughing as the grey pegasus' mouth dropped open. Wind looked at Rainbow Dash for confirmation and when she nodded he dropped to the floor. Laughter issued from behind her, and she looked over her shoulder to see the two other Wonderbolts holding on to each other to stay standing. She rolled her eyes and leaned down to haul Wind Cutter to his feet. When she let go, he looked at his hoof and back to her. He reached out will a hoof and felt at her face gently, as if he was blind. She stepped around his extended hoof and slapped his face with her tail.

He brought his hoof back to feel at where the tail had connected, touching it gently. "I'm not dreaming, right?" His voice sounded small and childish, as if he was scared at what the answer would be. She brushed against his side, smiling at the blush that came to his cheeks. He tried to fly up into the air, flapping his arms in a wild attempt to get away. Spitfire lost her composure at his reaction and clutched at the bedpost so as not to roll on the ground laughing at the distraught pegasus. He crashed into her and they both tumbled to the ground.

Wind Cutter’s weight was pressing on her back for mere moments, suddenly being lifted away. A crashing noise, followed by a grunt of pain, filled the room and the laughter was instantly cut off as Spitfire slowly stood up. She looked to her right and saw Soarin crouched low to the ground, glaring at something on the other side of her. She turned her head and gasped, rushing over to help up the stunned grey pegasus. Her extended hooves were batted away lightly by hooves of grey. Wind Cutter shook his head at her, sparing only a glance for her as he glared at the pegasus who had tossed him across the room.

The stormy-eyed Wonderbolt stomped his hoof, snorting angrily at Wind Cutter. “Watch yourself punk.” Soarin’s usually cheery tone was dangerously soft, a whisper that seemed to fill the room. Spitfire glanced at Rainbow, who was standing next to Soarin with a bewildered and frightened expression. Rainbow Dash returned the glance and then snapped back to watching the two stallions that were glaring daggers at each other. “Now, if you’re done messing around, I suggest you apologize to her.”

She stepped forward, opening her mouth to protest. “Soarin, it’s fi-,” he angrily flung up a hoof and switched his glare to her. She shuddered as she looked into his eyes, stepping back a few steps involuntarily. The normal cheery Soarin she knew was gone for now, it was happening again.

“No Spitfire, I want an apology.” His voice made her flinch back, her heart hurting as much as it would have been if he had slapped her. “And I want it now. Let’s hear it you feather-brain.” Spitfire looked back at Wind Cutter, pleading with her eyes for him to just say it. She saw a stubborn light fill his eyes as he glared at Soarin. “Didn’t you hear me?” Soarin’s voice was filled with anger, tinged slightly with disbelief and he stomped another hoof closer to Wind. “What, you were perfectly chatty the other day when Dash was in the hospital. Let’s hear that apology, now.” His voice was dripping with barely contained rage.

The stubborn light that was blazing in Wind Cutter’s eyes seemed to illuminate the room as he sat down on his haunches and turned away from Soarin. “You’ll get nothing from me. It was an accident. If anything, you should apologize to me.” He stretched his back as he nonchalantly looked through the shelves, shifting aside different vials. A low growl vibrated through the room, emanating from Soarin as he crouched low and spread his wings. “I mean, you are the one who attacked me. Falling on somepony hardly cou-“ The rest of his words were drowned out by an enraged shout that was followed by a crashing noise as Soarin leapt across the room.

The blue pegasus slammed his hoof into the other’s back, his punch powered by his brief flight across the space. Soarin grabbed Wind around the middle and threw him across the room, absolutely roaring in rage. Spitfire watched as the grey pegasus soared through the air to collide with the wall. For the love of Celestia, just stay down! Wind slowly stood up and brushed himself off, shaking slightly with pain. Spitfire stood against the wall as she watched the grey pegasus smile at the other. It wasn’t a smile of happiness, but one of eagerness. Wind lifted his hoof and waved it side to side tauntingly. “Looks like I’m going to need two apologies from you now.”

Spitfire watched in horror as Soarin leapt again at the pegasus, already picturing in her mind the sickening snap of bone and the grey pegasus writhing on the ground in pain. When their bodies were mere inches apart, she clenched her eyes shut, waiting with bated breath for the scream of agony.

When it didn’t come, she opened her eyes and felt shock course through her body. Wind was holding Soarin from behind, dodging the occasional hoof and wrapping around the blue pegasus’ body with his own hooves. “Let. Me. Go!” Soarin’s bellowing shout hurt her ears, and Wind was tossed backwards as Soarin spread his powerful wings. “You’re in for it now.” Soarin flew straight towards the dazed pegasus, his hoof pointed to smash into Wind’s skull.

She heard a scream, but through her fear she couldn’t tell if it was Rainbow or herself that was screaming. Twin thuds were heard, followed by pained panting and grunts of pain. Spitfire cracked open her eyes that she hadn’t known she had closed, looking hesitantly towards where the two pegasi where. Her eyes snapped open and she sat down hard with shock. Between the two pegasi was Rainbow Dash, holding out a hoof that pressed into each of the pegasi’s chests. With a yell, Rainbow pushed outwards, throwing the two stallions into opposite walls. She stood back on her four hooves and looked back and forth between the stunned pegasi.

Spitfire could only stare as the cyan pegasi glared at the grey pegasus and walked over to slap his face with a hoof. She turned angrily and stomped over to Soarin, picking up his still-limp body and throwing it out of the window onto the ground outside. With a glance back at Spitfire, she leapt out of the window, slamming it shut behind her.


Soarin groaned as he hit the ground, flames of pain licking up his body as the hard surface rushed up to meet him. The mare who had tossed him out of the window jumped out after him and glared at him from the sky, flapping her wings and tossing her head angrily. Her accusing look made him look away and roll over, pushing his hooves into the dirt as he attempted to stand. He winced as pain ached on his chest, shifting aside the blue suit and looking at his chest. He sighed as he took in the small, hoof-shaped bruise already forming. She’s got quite a kick. That’s gonna stay there for a while.

He heard hooves land lightly on the ground behind him and he sighed again, preparing to face the cyan-colored monster that was breathing heavily behind him. He turned slowly, trying to play for time. He met her eyes, which were full of anger and confusion. “Look, I’m sorry about-,“ He cut off as her hoof smacked into his face, leaving a painful stinging on it accompanied by ringing ears. What, did you expect a kiss? He asked himself the question sarcastically, rubbing at his cheek sullenly as he pulled his head around to look back at the enraged rainbow-maned pegasus. “If you slap me, how can I apologize?” She huffed angrily and turned around, spreading her wings and flying into the sky. With the third dejected sigh of the day, Soarin took off after her.

He sat deep in thought, trying to work out ways of apologizing to Dash in his mind. Buy her a pie? Nah, she isn’t like me. I know, I’ll get her flowers! Wait, that wouldn’t work either, she’s no girly girl. He tapped his chin thoughtfully. I could…um…take her to a shop? Maybe she’ll go for a trip to Sugercube Corner? Pinkie Pie always hooks me up with free pies. He felt his stomach growl, and he groaned internally. Come to think of it, I haven’t eaten all day. Oh man, what I would give for a good pie right now. He was snapped out of his daydream of food by a sudden rush of wind. He watched as Rainbow Dash pulled into a dive, heading for a small building surrounded by apple trees. What is she doing here? He dived after her, his hunger lost in his curiosity.

He landed with a thud behind Rainbow as she called out loudly. “Scootaloo! Applebloom! Sweetie! Anypony here? It’s me, Rainbow Dash!”

An orange head poked out of the window, the filly’s purple eyes growing wide as she looked with her mouth agape at the two suited ponies outside. The head shot back into the building and a small excited voice could be heard inside. “Applebloom! Sweetie! Put down those baseball bats and follow me! Rainbow Dash is outside! She’s got a blue suit and she’s with Soarin!” The door slammed open and a orange-and-purple blur tackled into Rainbow Dash, knocking her to the ground as the same voice squealed with delight. “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! Rainbow Dash got into the Wonderbolts!”

Soarin smiled as he recalled the exact same phrase being said by Dash herself at the Best Young Fliers Competition. Another two fillies stepped out of the building and slowly walked up to the three of them, limping and wincing at every step. What were they doing with baseball bats? Y’know what? I don’t wanna know.

“How did you do it Rainbow? What happened?” Scootaloo literally fluttered with excitement, her wings making a soft buzzing noise as they flapped. The other two fillies lay down on the grass, looking eagerly up at Rainbow and waiting for the story to begin.

“Well, you know me. It was my charm, skill, and total awesomeness that got me in, isn’t that right Soarin?” She nudged him a little harder than was called for, obviously still mad at him. Not wanting to get on her nerves any further, he nodded eagerly. She flashed a smile at him, sending his body into a small shudder. Yeah, she’s still mad. “Scootaloo, go ahead and lay down with your friends, this is gonna be a long story of my totally radical tryout.” Rainbow Dash struck a pose and began telling her tale.

Soarin bemusedly smiled at her telling of events, nodding every once and a while as the fillies looked to him for confirmation. She certainly has a…flair…for story-telling. He nearly shook his head at her exaggeration. After her tale was finished, the orange filly leapt up and galloped to Rainbow, pulling the mare into a hug. “I’ll be right back!” Soarin watched the filly run into the treehouse, and winced as he heard things crashing from inside. What were they doing in there? He traded a smile with Rainbow and looked back at the door as the filly came out, dragging a scooter behind her. “W-w-will you sign this for me Dash? And, can you get Soarin to sign it too?”

Rainbow took the pen Scootaloo held out and scrawled her initials into the board. “Ish no problem kid!” She spit the pen back into her hoof and wiped it on her suit nonchalantly. Soarin winced as she did that, but didn’t say anything. Let’s hope she never does that in front of Spitfire. He shuddered as he remembered the Wonderbolt Captain’s reaction to mistreatment of the sacred suits. The filly walked over to him, holding out the pen and scooter with a hopeful look in her eyes. He grabbed the pen and signed his entire name into the board, smiling a little as Rainbow huffed at being outdone in a signature.

Scootaloo had leapt onto her scooter and fluttered her wings, propelling herself towards Dash with a confident look in her eye. “I bet now I can beat you Dash, wanna race?” Soarin found himself being surprised at the filly’s spunkiness, but Dash took it in stride.

“Bring it on you little chicken!” Laughing, she took off after the racing scooter. Soarin found himself running after them, laughing along with the other two fillies who galloped beside them. Their entire group thundered through the apple orchard, causing the trees that were nearest to drop their harvest onto the ground.

This would be a nice way to make it up to her. Note to self: she likes to race. Oh Celestia, she reminds me of Spits more and more everyday.


Allright folks, author's note time! Don't expect any updates for this weekend, because I'll be taking it off to work on my newest sadfic! I'll resume normal updates after the weekend passes!