• Published 15th May 2012
  • 3,924 Views, 158 Comments

Dashed Hopes and Reformed Dreams - ChaoticHarmony

  • ...
8
 158
 3,924

Shattering Rainbows

Chapter 1: Shattering Rainbows

I am finally doing it! This will get their attention for sure, Rainbow Dash thought to herself with a smirk on her face. She was diving at a near ninety degree angle, the wind sliced through her cyan coat, stinging her eyes and dragging her wings backward behind her. The pain of flying at such angle made Rainbow Dash grit her teeth, and she nearly blacked out from the agony gripping her body.

She loved every second of it. Flying was cool and all, and she loved doing a drag race, but NOTHING could compare to the feel of diving. Instead of having to fight through the wind like she did with normal flying, when she dived, it just flowed around her body, almost like it was water. Sounds distorted and were lost on her ears. When she dived, she was encased in her own world of silence and adrenaline.

As the ground rapidly approached her, she pulled out of the dive, or at least tried to. When pulling up, a sharp pain stabbed her right wing. Fighting to stay in the air, Rainbow Dash managed to pull out of the dive just in time, hooves galloping with her speed. Planting her hooves in the ground, Rainbow Dash ground to a halt, spraying dirt everywhere in front of her. The ponies all around her stared at her. No, they stared at her wings. Shivering with pain, Rainbow Dash looked back at her wings.

She nearly fainted. Her right wing was snapped in two, and the bone jutted from the skin. Blood dripped onto the grass as Dash fought to maintain her balance, woozy at seeing her wing’s state. Groaning to herself, Rainbow saw Spitfire and Soarin walking up to her, concern lighting their eyes.

Gritting her teeth, Rainbow felt her vision misting up. She knew that she had blown it. Not only did she break her wing, she did it with the Wonderbolts watching her. Another liquid, clear this time, dripped onto the ground, and Rainbow looked up. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky; it was as blue as the blue on her rainbow colored mane. Her tears began to flow freely as Spitfire and Soarin walked up to her, concern still plain on their faces. Feeling her throat choke up, she turned around and ran as fast as she could away from her would-be teammates, tears glinting like rainbows in the sun behind her, mocking her failure.

She didn't hear them calling her back over the wind in her ears. She didn't see the blue suit streaked with yellow bolts in the grass behind them through her tears.

000

Wind Cutter sat on a cloud above Sugarcube Corner, a cupcake in his hoof. Humming to himself, he prepared to chow down. Suddenly, he heard Rainbow Dash, a pony that every pegasi knew, shout out one of her many catch phrases.

“All right, time to dash!” Her voice made Wind lean over the edge of his cloud to see what she was planning to do next. He nearly fell out of his cloud when he saw the two ponies she was with. Rainbow Dash was with the Wonderbolts! She must be finally trying out for them. Wind smiled to himself, because now he got to eat a nice treat, and he got to see one too. Everypony knew that Rainbow was one of the coolest, most beautiful flyers in Ponyville. How she wasn’t taken, Wind didn’t know, nor did he particularly care, because he didn't want to buck anypony who broke her heart.

He leaned back in the cloud, watching as Rainbow took off up into the clouds. She started off with her usual loops and spins, rainbow trail drawing patterns in the sky. He felt his heart soar as he watched her fly, wanting to join her in her dance. However, he was sure that she wouldn’t appreciate it, and would probably give him a kick on the snout for his trouble. After all, she was showing off for the Wonderbolts. So instead of flying, he contented himself to taking a bite of his cupcake, watching as Rainbow flew even higher than before. He shivered with sympathy, knowing how cold it got at those kinds of altitudes. Wondering what she was planning, Wind’s cupcake supply ran out, he had only bought one for a snack, but now he regretted not getting more.

Ice began tinkling down from the heavens, flashing rainbow in the sun. Wow, that’s a new one, thought Wind as he searched in the sky for Rainbow. Hearing a boom resound from the heavens, he smiled as he waited for the rainbow to explode out from where Dash had started the Sonic Rainboom. Not disappointed, he saw Rainbow Dash appear, shooting down from the heavens in a dive that had the sky itself bending around her.

Wind Cutter stood up in alarm, something was wrong. Her angle of descent was WAY too steep for a pegasus, even for one so cool as Rainbow Dash. There was no way she could pull out of that dive without serious damage. Unable to act, he watched as she quickly approached the ground, mane wet from being coated in ice. Time seemed to slow for him, as he watched her attempt to pull out of the dive, and he winced as he saw the wing bend and snap suddenly. Wind watched on as she somehow managed to level out, galloping on the ground. How she did it with a wing that was broken in two, he didn’t know. He admired her constitution, and so, apparently, did the Wonderbolts.

Soarin had pulled a blue and yellow suit from his saddlebags, and placed it on the ground next to him. Wind saw Rainbow’s look of horror as she stumbled to a stop, and looked back at her wings. He watched, unmoving, as she cried in the clearing, blood dripping from her wing where the bone had punched through the skin. The two Wonderbolts walked up to her. For some reason, Rainbow took off into the town, not hearing Soarin call her back. Rainbow didn’t know about her success in her failure. She probably thought that they were going to tell her that she was out of luck, thought Wing with a shake of his head.

Taking off into the air, Wind flew after Rainbow, the newest Wonderbolt.