• Published 24th Dec 2015
  • 6,247 Views, 116 Comments

Moon's shadow - Znegil



A human with a special ability comes to Equestria and befriends Luna. While they have an adventure their friendship gets tested but something new emerges. Thanks for all the good feedback for changes that got this story from 15pos/13neg to 130/23.

  • ...
30
 116
 6,247

14 Tears

We dragged the three bound unicorns inside the tent, so they wouldn't freeze to death before someone would arrive to arrest them. We threw a ball of Midnight Shadow in it, just to be sure.

After we had used the rope to link us three together we started to descend the mountain. I tried my best not to stare at Luna all the time while she was walking in front of me.

We walked in an awkward silence for quite some time.

Tia finally broke it.
"I never knew Nightmare Moon was still inside you, sister."

I saw Luna freeze on the spot. It had been on my mind too, but I was to afraid to ask about it. I knew my trust was very precious to her.

Luna slowly turned towards us.
"I... I'm sorry for hiding this from you... and you too Alex. After the Elements of Harmony had defeated Nightmare Moon, the evil inside me was very weak, but it didn't vanish forever, I knew it would always be a part of me. I created mental barriers to keep it from ever gaining control over my body again."

She sat in the snow, shivering. I could tell it wasn't because of the cold, to talk about this was hard for her. I sat next to her and put my arm around her.

"It's ok. I'm here.", I whispered to her.
She smiled and leaned her head on my shoulder.

"But its strength grew in little time, it started to whisper to me, trying to lure me, to influence me, it used my fears against me."

She looked into my eyes.
"But it knew very well, it would never be able to take over again... only if I would give it the control myself... which I did to save you."

I stroked her hair.
"And I'm very thankful for that.", I responded.

"And it was ok to risk the life of everypony in Equestria?"

I think my heart stopped as I saw the sadness in Luna's eyes, tears started to run down her face. I held her closer while the wind felt much colder all the sudden. She turned toward Tia.
"...W...what?"

Celestia looked at her in a mix of anger and sadness.
"You risked the lives of thousands as you unleashed Nightmare Moon."

"But I couldn't let him die!", Luna cried.

Celestia untied herself.
"Sometimes the right thing is not what we want it to be."
She turned away and started to walk down the mountain herself.

"Everything worked out!", I shouted after her. "Nobody died!"

"Is it wrong for me to be happy for only once!", Luna cried.

I saw Celestia wince, but she walked on.

I sat in the snow with Luna and comforted her as much I could.
"I'm sure she didn't meant it like that."

She looked up to me, tears in her eyes.
"She is right, I'm horrible, I nearly destroyed Equestria."

I brushed her cheek with my hand.
"You did it to save my life and sacrificed yourself for me. You had no time to think about everything and acted on instinct. Do you wish you had decided another way?"

I softly kissed her lips, and she leaned into it. I wiped her tears away while our kiss lasted and was surprised when she parted my lips with her tongue and searched mine. I hummed happily while I felt her love. It was quite some time before we broke our kiss.

"I wouldn't trade you for the world.", she said with a smile.

"I love you too.", I answered while my hand run through her mane. "I'm sure Celestia will understand if we talk to her again, she has to rest in the mountaineer's hut if she wants to get down safely. We can talk to her there."

"I sure hope she will, sometimes she can be very stubborn.", she said sighing.

I helped her getting up, and we started walking toward the hut, my hand rested on her back.

We didn't talk much while we walked through the deep snow, I guess we both thought about how our next conversation with Celestia could play out.

After two more hours, we finally arrived at the hut, it was still dark of course, like it would stay until Celestia got her magic back. We hesitated to enter, I took a deep breath, pushed the door open and walked in. I was very surprised to find a crying Celestia before me.