• Published 24th Dec 2015
  • 6,221 Views, 116 Comments

Moon's shadow - Znegil



A human with a special ability comes to Equestria and befriends Luna. While they have an adventure their friendship gets tested but something new emerges. Thanks for all the good feedback for changes that got this story from 15pos/13neg to 130/23.

  • ...
30
 116
 6,221

12 Night

Well, to make a plan is easy, to do everything like it was planned would be the hard part.

I peered cautiously over the snowdrift Luna and me were hiding behind. I had to find the perfect moment to cross that open space between us and the plateau.

The two guards in my sight, on opposite sides of the plateau, had been focused almost exclusively on the sky to fight back a possible pegasi attack. It was hard to see more in the light of the glowstones that illuminated the plateau, but it would also make it easier to sneak up on them.

After a moment I started to move slowly around the snowdrift, low to the ground on my arms and legs. I was really happy for my spiked gloves, not only did they provide excellent traction, without them my hands would be blocks of ice right now. My eyes darted from one guard to the other while I moved closer and closer.

I had crossed half of the open space as one of the guards moved, his head turning in my direction. Immediately I let myself fall flat on the snow. I tried to breathe as little as possible while my heart was racing.

I waited for maybe a minute, but I didn't hear any shouting. Very careful I started to lift my head from the snow again examining the situation. Both guards stood in their positions again watching the sky. I started to slowly move again, always trying to keep both unicorns in sight.

The left one stood only a few feet away from a small tree. I decided that would be my best chance. I moved towards this tree, hoping it would provide some cover for me.

Luckily I made it there without another dangerous situation and crouched behind it. I carefully made a fake snowdrift to the other side to give me a bit of cover, if the other guard would decide to turn around.

From this position I had a better view over the whole plateau, I noticed a row of plants behind the tent. They looked like the "Midnight Shadow" we saw in the book back in Canterlot. Still, I did not notice other ponies except the two guards, so I expected the others to be in the tent. Celestia was still asleep, and seemed to be unharmed.

I peeked around the tree. The guard was still focused at the sky. I slowly crawled to the pile of black balls of Midnight Shadow behind him, it must have been at least twenty of them. I took three of them and moved back into my cover.

I gave a signal to Luna so she would try to reach my spot.

While she was on the move, I examined the balls, they were very brittle and held together just so. The pollen shimmered in some very dark purple, not much, just enough not to be called black.

Luna did a great job and moved more stealthy than I had expected, after a few minutes she arrived at my spot.

"We should be relatively safe here, at least for the moment.", I whispered.

She looked to sleeping Celestia, her face was full of concern.
"We have to make it.", she whispered. "Tia is such a kind and loving pony. Equestria needs her."

"Equestria needs both of you.", I replied. "In time they will love you as much as they do love her."
She looked unsure but gave me a smile anyway.

"Ok.", I whispered to her. "Let's try to take out both guards at the same time, if we are lucky, the others are asleep and won't notice. I take the one behind this tree."

I gave her one of the balls of Midnight Shadow. She nodded and started to move towards her target while I moved around the tree. I picked up a rock about the size of my fist and slowly inched closer, the stone in my left hand while I had Midnight Shadow in my right. I thought about how much easier this would be if there wasn't snow on the ground.

I was very close to him when he finally seemed to hear my steps in the snow. As he turned around his eyes widened in surprise, maybe he had thought one of the other unicorns had walked up to him. He opened his mouth to shout, and I stuffed Midnight Shadow right into it. As he closed it again on reflex, he bit my hand but also the ball exploded in his mouth, a particle cloud streamed out of his mouth while he started to cough. Only a second later my rock hit him right between his eyes and sent him to the ground unconscious. I had only received a small cut on my hand and turned to see how Luna was doing.

"Intruder!", the unicorn screamed standing in a cloud of Midnight Shadow fighting Luna.

I turned to look towards the tent and saw Celestia awaken and standing up halfway. I decided to trust Luna to defeat her enemy and started to run towards the tent. Just a second later another unicorn came out of the tent and sprinted towards me shooting a beam from his horn. Luckily the results had been the same as last time I got hit by one, nothing.

He stormed towards me anyway, his horn pointed at me like a lance. But he did underestimate Celestia, she used the little leeway she had in her chain and kicked him in his head hard as he passed her. His lights went out immediately as he fell into the snow. I threw my last ball of Midnight Shadow on him, just to be sure he wouldn't be a problem later.

Another unicorn stepped out of the tent, this one had a blazing red long mane, I remembered him, he was the one who tried to capture Luna in the royal garden.

I started to run towards him.

He used his magic to levitate the cloud of Midnight Shadow, from my last throw, over the cliff. He shot a beam at me but wasn't surprised as it didn't show any effect. He looked behind me searching for a target he could harm.

I tried to be between him and Luna while running so he couldn't shoot her, while he started to sidestep to get a better angle on her. He shot a few beams intentional missing me by inches to hit something behind me, I had no time to turn my head to look if he hit anything.

As I got real close to him, he used his magic to throw a rock at me, and I could evade it only by an inch. I tried to tackle him, but his standing was to good for that, so I was just falling to the ground in front of him. He kicked my head as I tried to stand up and sent me back to the ground. He stomped hard on my head, the snow under my head took away only little of his force.

"NOOOOO!", I heard Luna scream.

"Die, pitiful creature!", he shouted as he stomped on my head again.

My vision went blurry as the pain ran through my body, I almost lost consciousness. I wanted my body to move, but I had no control over it.
I noticed he jumped up a bit, to crush my head with a final blow.

Just as he was midair, he was hit by a bright beam of light. He screamed in a way I never heard from a living being scream before, while his body disintegrated until there was nothing left of him.

It was scary to see life wiped out of existence in this way, even when my life was saved because of it.

"No... please no...", I heard Celestia's voice, hardly loud enough to understand her.

I was laying on my back looking at the dark sky and tried to stay conscious, the cold snow helped a bit.

I wasn't prepared for the evil grinning dark blue face that came into my vision, a creature I only knew because I was told about her yesterday.

"hELLO, i tHINK wE hAVE nOT bEEN iNTRODUCED tO eACH oTHER."