• Published 15th May 2012
  • 7,441 Views, 343 Comments

The Return of the 7th Element - thunderhawk7865



/2nd Installment of the 7th Element series/ Dan returns to Equestria after 15 years on Earth.

  • ...
51
 343
 7,441

A Horrible Secret

Chapter 3: A Horrible Secret


“Blazing Dawn!?” Dan flew through the air off of the cloud after his son. A look of pained worry on his face, Dan looked around hastily, “Blazing Dawn, where are you!?” Dan frowned and sighed before yelling again, “Look, if you would please let me just—!”

He was interrupted by the familiar sound of a Canterlot guitar down below him. Looking down, Dan saw the tree he and Rainbow used to sit under when he was in Equestria before.

Dan silently flew down into the canopy above the tree and landed on a branch, looking down. Tears almost came to his eyes when he saw Blazing Dawn, his son, leaning against the tree and playing his old guitar. The young alicorn had his eyes closed as he leaned against the tree, taking in the beautiful tune he was playing.

Dan recognized it immediately. It was the song he first played for Rainbow Dash all those years ago, “When We Stand Together...” Dan whispered, sniffing slightly. Dan took in a deep breath to regain his composure and then let himself off the branch, extending his wings and slowly descending towards the ground.

He touched down a few feet away from his son, who continued to play. Dan couldn’t tell if he was ignoring him or if he couldn’t tell he was there. Dan was about to speak, but then Blazing Dawn answered his own question for him.

“What do you want, dad?” He said frigidly.

Dan smiled, “Nothing, I just...” He sighed, “I just wanted to talk...”

Blazing Dawn said nothing. With his eyes still closed, he continued to play.

Dan looked down at the ground, thought for a moment, and then looked up again, smiling, “Who...” He paused, “Who taught you to play, son?”

“Vinyl.” Was the alicorn’s only response.

“Ah, yes...” Dan said casually, “Good ol’ Vinyl Scratch...” Dan took a step closer, “How is she these days?”

When Blazing Dawn heard his dad take a step, he stopped playing.

Dan froze in place, staring at his son, wondering what he was going to do.

Slowly, Blazing Dawn opened his golden eyes and turned his head to look at his father, who was smiling and trying to make a good impression.

“Stop trying to be casual, dad...” Blazing Dawn said, narrowing his eyes.

Dan shivered. The way his son said “dad” was so cold, it sent chills down his spine. Dan took another step forward, extending a forehoof, “Son, I—”

“No, dad. Don’t say anything.” Blazing Dawn stood up abruptly and walked over to his father. Staring at his dad sternly, he sharply removed the strap from around his chest and shoved Dan’s old guitar into Dan’s forehooves. Grunting slightly from the pain, Dan grasped the guitar and hovered bi-pedal style in front of his son.

Blaze turned his head slightly away from his father and closed his eyes, “Take back your guitar, too...” Blaze again looked at him with hate in his eyes, “Mom said that it was a symbol of your greatness when she gave it to me...” Blazing Dawn spit on the ground in front of his father. “You are a fake. A phony!” Blazing Dawn began to yell, “I honestly don’t care that you’re back, dad! You weren’t here for me! I don’t want anything to do with you!”

Dan was speechless. His own son was shooting him down right in front of him. Tears welled in Blaze’s eyes as he stood there, trying to hold back the tears.

Dan hesitantly reached a hoof forward and placed it on his shoulder, “Son...”

Blazing Dawn wrenched his hoof from his shoulder and took to the air, getting up in his father’s face, “Just leave...me...alone...”

Before Dan could say anything else, Blazing Dawn spread his wings and took off just as fast as his mother would.

Dan watched his son fly off into the horizon towards town before sighing heavily, wiping away a stray tear, and looking down at his guitar.

Hesitantly, he moved his forehooves into a position and plucked a few strings, playing a chord. Dan sniffed and played the chord again as he watched his son flying off. Dan then hummed part of the lullaby he used to sing his son before he left all those years ago, watching his son fly until he couldn’t see him anymore.

Dan stopped playing, floated in silence for a few moments, sniffed and wiped away another tear, and then swung the guitar onto his back, adjusting the strap so that it fit over his shoulder.

“Well...” Dan said aloud, slowly flapping his wings to gain altitude, “Maybe Dash will know what to do...” Dan slowly turned and made his way back upwards to Rainbow’s cloud.


“You have to tell him.”

“I...I don’t know if I can...”

Lunar Eclipse and Rainbow Dash still stood out on the edge of the cloud home, unmoved from their positions since Dan flew down to try and comfort his son. Rainbow looked up at the setting sun and sighed, shaking her head, “I...I just don’t know...”

Lunar took a step towards her, his face stern and unforgiving. “Look, I know that Celestia showed you him in his human form five years ago and because he forgot us and Celestia said he might never be coming back, you had your doubts, but...” Lunar took in a deep breath. “You owe it to him to tell him now that he actually is back...” Lunar looked down. “Now that what we thought was not possible has happened...”

Rainbow sniffed, looking down, “Lunar, I love him. I...I don’t think I can bear seeing his face after I tell him that-”

“Tell me what, Dashie?”

Lunar and Dash both turned and watched Dan touch down on the edge of the cloud with a look of confusion on his face.

Lunar whipped his head back towards Rainbow Dash and he stared her down, as if his eyes were asking her to do the right thing.

Instead, Rainbow chose to change the subject. “Oh, Dan...did...” She pointed at the guitar. “Did Blazing Dawn give that back?”

Dan sighed. “Yeah...I couldn’t make him feel better...” Dan sniffed. “My only son hates me...”

“Oh, Ace...” Dash tenderly wrapped her hooves around Ace, how rested his head on her shoulder and closed his eyes. “I’m sure he’ll come around...” Rainbow kissed his cheek before withdrawing and stepping back. “I’ll talk to him...”

“Thanks, Dashie...” Dan sighed.

“Rainbow...” Dan and Dash both turned to see Lunar Eclipse staring at the two of them. “If you won’t tell him, I will...”

“What...” Dan stuttered, turning back towards Rainbow Dash. “What is he talking about?”

“Um...uh...” Rainbow looked around frantically as she tried to think of an excuse, but eventually she stopped and sighed, looking down. “Dan...I...” She sniffed sadly, and then looked back up. “You know...well, you see...” She struggled to say whatever was bogging her down with a pained expression on her face.

“Dash...” Dan stepped forward and nuzzled his lover. “You can tell me anything...”

Dash flinched when he said that, looking up into his golden eyes, which were gleaming as he smiled down at her. “Now that I’m back, I’ll help you with any problems you have...” He nodded. “We’ll face them together...”

Rainbow turned briefly towards Lunar, who bowed his head, signaling he didn’t want to be a part of the proceedings.

“Okay...” Rainbow sighed, looking back at Dan. “You Pinkie Pie swear that my problem won’t make you angry?”

“Cross my heart, and hope to fly...” Dan put a hoof over his eye. “Stick a cupcake in my eye....”

“Okay then...” Rainbow took a step towards him. “You know how I’m a Wonderbolt now?”

“Yeah. I’m so proud of you!” Dan ruffled Dash’s mane and smiled.

“We have...coaches.”

“Coaches?”

“Yes...” She nodded. “Flying vets who teach us maneuvers for battle and for shows...” She looked down again briefly, but then looked back up. “Two years ago, a new coach joined our team. His name is Fyre Bolt.” Dash smiled sheepishly. “He...was an old friend from flight school and I...I was so happy to see him...”

“An old friend, huh?” Dan smiled. “I’d love to meet him.”

“Dan...” Dash sighed. “I get the feeling you two wouldn’t hit it off well...”

“Any friend of yours is a friend of mine, Dashie.” Dan chuckled. “Don’t worry.”

“Oh Gods, this is gonna suck...” Lunar Eclipse muttered from behind them, continuing to stare at the ground.

“I...” Rainbow started, stopped, but then continued. “I took him to lunch after practice one day...and...well...we hit it off...”

Dan’s face began to fall from a smile to a confused frown.

Dash shuddered and hesitantly continued, “We...I...well...” Dash looked down as tears fell from her face. “I...I...”

“Cheated on me?”

Everypony on the cloud was shocked into complete silence. Lunar grimaced, closing one eye and gritting his teeth. Dash slowly looked up into Dan’s golden eyes, which were no longer glowing. He stared down indifferently at his lover as her magenta eyes filled with tears.

“Y...yes...” Dash managed to say.

Dan was silent. Slowly, he turned his head to look off at the setting sun. “Can’t say...” A lone tear slid down his cheek. “Can’t say I...blame you, Dashie...” He turned his head back to Rainbow.

“I...I broke it off with him a year ago, I swear!” Rainbow Dash attempted to appease her lover. “I...I felt bad and broke it off, Dan! You have to understand!”

“I understand...” Dan wiped the tears away from his face. At this point, Lunar had lifted his head up and was gazing sadly at the horrid situation unfolding before him.

Dash took to the air, floating in front of Dan, who was looking off to the side with the same indifferent expression. “Can...can you forgive-?”

“I said I understand, Dash...” Dan muttered coldly, his throat getting choked with emotion.

“Dan...” Dash started to reach a forehoof forward, but Dan’s wings sprang up and stood erect as he turned his body away from her and faced towards Canterlot.

“I’m...” Dan sighed and heaved a sob out of his choked throat. “The Princess told me to come talk to her as soon as I could...” He lowered his head, “I have to go...”

“Will you be ba-”

With a sharp wisp of air, Dan was up into the air and flying into the now night sky towards the glittering lights that made up the city of Canterlot.

Dash stood watching for a few moments, then collapsed on the cloud, burying her face in her forehooves.

Lunar approached and placed a forehoof on her shoulder. As Dash began to sob uncontrollably, Lunar watched Dan go, a stray tear flowing down his cheek as well. “Better to have told him now than to have him find out later, Rainbow...”

Rainbow did not answer. She continued weeping as Dan, armed only with his old guitar, made his way through the night sky towards Canterlot.


Night had fallen over Equestria. Everypony in the now city of Ponyville were returning home or heading out to the clubs and bars for some nighttime partying. No pony noticed the lean shadow of a male Pegasus flying overhead.

As Dan flew, tears streamed steadily out of his eyes. He didn’t care that he was flying away from the love of his life he hadn’t seen in fifteen long years. He just didn’t care. He needed to get away from there.

As he flew through the air, he adjusted the guitar on his back and sighed. “Things...things have really gone downhill here...” He gritted his teeth and sobbed briefly. “Ponyville’s been industrialized...a hierarchy...things are really messed up...”

Dan stopped above the Everfree Forest and hovered there, staring into the distance. “Especially for me...”

Dan then started flying slow and low over the trees, tears still pouring from from his eyes. He started doing the only thing he knew how to do when he was upset. Quietly, Dan began to sing.

I open my eyes...

I try to see but I’m blinded by the white light.

Dan did a short flip in the air before flying low over the trees again. Still singing, he thought he caught a glimpse of a familiar hut as he flew by.

I can’t remember how...

I can’t remember why...

I’m flying here tonight.

Dan then flew ahead with a sudden burst of speed and landed on the branch of a tree that was significantly taller than the others. He slumped down in his sadness and continued singing as visions of Dash and him together all those years ago flashed through his head.

And I can’t stand the pain...

And I can’t make it go away...

No I can’t stand the pain.

Dan then looked up at the moon from where he was perched. The tears glistened in his eyes as the moonlight reflected off of them. With an upset face, Dan started singing out with his heart and soul to reveal his true feelings.

How could this happen to me?

I made my mistakes...

I’ve got nowhere to go...

Dan then shakily stood up and took off again, again low over the forest canopy.

The night goes on...

As I’m flying away!

I’m sick of this world...

I just wanna scream!!

Dan faltered his in flight pattern suddenly as he paused to sib and wipe more tears from his face that were clouding his vision. Then he screamed rather than sang:

How could this happen to me!?

As Dan emerged from the border of the Everfree Forest, Dan started flying by the train tracks that led directly to Canterlot. As he flew, a train approached from behind. The ponies in the passenger car noticed his Cutie Mark and guitar, and started to point their forehooves and laugh.

Dan sighed as he continued flying, ignoring the rude ponies in the car, and continuing to sing out his soul.

Everypony’s laughing...

I try to make a sound but no pony hears me...

Dan changed his flight pattern so that he was now flying low above the train as it chugged steadily along. A cliff from Ghastly Gorge caught his gaze as memories of the race he participated in with Rainbow came rushing in.

I’m slipping off the edge...

I’m hanging by a thread...

I wanna go back to the start again!

Dan started flying faster than the train. As he flew overhead, the elderly conductor of the train saw Dan go by. Recognizing the Cutie Mark and overall structure of the stallion he just saw, the engineer removed his hat and placed it over his chest.

Dan continued singing as he flew ahead of the train, tears still gushing forth like rapids from his eyes. He struggled to sing through his sob.

So I try to hold...

Onto that time when nothing mattered!

Dan dove away from the tracks as Canterlot approached. He flew over the magnificent capital of Equestria and smiled slightly when he saw that it hadn’t changed much, aside from the occasional factory here and there. What caught his eyes the most were the newly designed skyscrapers that dotted the city sometimes.

Dan dove down and flew low over a side street that was made up of small restaurants and shops. Ponies alike were traversing the street, eating at the restaurants or on dates with their special someponies.

Despite ponies looking at him in awe, Dan continued singing, tears still flowing.

And I can’t explain what happened...

And I can’t erase the things that have been done...

Dan landed on the table of a nearby outdoor bistro where a piano playing pony was providing nighttime entertainment. He stopped playing when Dan landed on an empty table and ended his verse, putting a forehoof in the air.

No, I caaaaaaaan’t...

Ponies gathered around, enjoying the sound of his voice and not caring that this new pony seemed to drop out of the sky randomly. The pony playing the piano smiled and started playing chord progressions along with Dan as he continued singing.

How could this happen to me?!

I made my mistakes...

Got nowhere to go!

The night goes on as I’m flying away!

Dan slowly unshouldered his Canterlot guitar and sat sat down on the edge of the table he stood on and started playing along with the piano player. The ponies gathered around at this point were stomping their hooves to the sad and steady rhythm. A few couples were dancing.

I’m sick on of the world!

I just wanna scream!!

How could this happen to me!?

The ponies cheered as Dan stood up on his hind legs, taking his guita in his forehooves. Tears still streaming down his face, he started strumming away in an epic, yet solemnly appropriate, guitar solo. The piano player played along with Dan for the duration of the solo, and the ponies watched intently as Dan’s forehooves intricately played the chords.

Dan ended the solo abruptly when sompony shouted, “Hey, who are you, mister?”

Dan just stood there, his bangs overshadowing his face. The piano player had stopped playing and was wondering what was happening.

Dan slowly put the guitar back on his back and tightened the strap, nodded solemnly. “Sorry for disturbing you all...”

The ponies gasped as Dan spread his wings and took off like a bullet into the air towards the Royal Palace.

Dan landed delicately on the pavement that led to the castle entryway and looked up. The sight before him drew even more tears. The moon silhouetted against the castle and the stars sparkled beautifully behind the large structure.

“I forgot how beautiful this world is...” Dan muttered before he started to slowly walk forward. Quietly and almost under his breath, he continued to sing through his sobs.

I’ve made my mistakes...

Got nowhere to go...

The night goes on as I’m flying away...

I’m sick of this world...

I just wanna scream...

Dan’s mouth trembled a little bit as he stopped and looked down at the pavement, the tears making small dripping noises as he they made small wet-marks on the cobblestones.

H-How could th-this happen t-to me...?

Dan heaved a heavy sob and starting to audibly cry. He stood in the middle of the pathway staring down at the pavement, heaving heavy sobs and just...

Crying...

He’d never cried like this before in his life.

After a while, Dan lifted his head up and looked up at the palace doors. He narrowed his eyes determinedly and wiped away the tears before he started to slowly trot forward and approach the guards on either side of the door.

“Halt.” The guard on the right said flatly. “Who goes there?”

“I have business with Celestia...” Dan said dryly.

The guards exchanged looks before the one on the left asked, “Yeah? And who might you be?”

Dan slowly rose his head and glared at the guard who spoke.

“Tell her Ace says sorry he’s late...”


A/N: I'm just gonna say this:

"..."

That's what most of you are probably like right now. Or you have your heads buried in your Puffs.

Or not.

OC was Fyre Bolt and he belongs to my awesome artist, Robsa990.

Song: Untitled (How Could This Happen To Me?), Simple Plan

Stay tuned for the next update.

Ciao.