• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 5,269 Views, 331 Comments

Night Reigns - tursi



Ten years after Nightmare Moon returns from her exile and plunges Equestria into Eternal Night, Celestia escapes from her solar prison. Weakened and alone, she needs to rebuild her strength. But how can she put things right?

  • ...
14
 331
 5,269

PreviousChapters
Chapter 40 - Harmony

"Are you ready, Luna?"

Celestia and Luna stood once again underneath the Crystal Castle, lit by the glow of the ever-full moon. Celestia's mane had begun to flow once again as her magic regenerated, although it had not yet regained the pastel stripes that showed her full strength.

Luna, too, stood with more power than a few nights earlier, and her eyes were brighter and more focused. She stood taller and more confident, even though her mane did not display the power of her older sister. Nevertheless, she stood alongside Celestia as the two of them looked towards the lazily-spinning Crystal Heart.

Off to the side, Sunset Shimmer and Sterling Honor stood watching. Sunset glanced to Sterling.

"This should be good," Sunset whispered. "Celestia's going to show some deep magic here while re-charging the heart."

Sterling made a non-committal noise, remaining at attention. "Princess Luna will certainly contribute her fair share," he noted. "But… yes, I must admit that I am interested in where this is going."

"Hopefully it will be enough," commented Sunset, looking back towards the heart. "We've already been here a week, I'm ready to go home. It's way too cold up here."

"Stop complaining," chuckled Sterling. "If nothing else, you get the honor of being a part of history. Isn't that enough?"

They both went quiet immediately and looked towards the sisters when Luna spoke up.

"Sister, wait," she said.

Celestia looked back towards Luna. "What is it, Luna?"

Luna hesitated, turning her head aside. Then she raised it again and met Celestia's eyes with her own. "Before we do this… before we do anything else… I… I have a request."

Celestia looked concerned. "Of course, Luna. Never again be afraid to ask me for anything, please. What is it?"

Luna took a breath. "I have been thinking about it for the last few days. And… I… I want you to raise the sun."

Celestia stopped, studying Luna's expression. "But…" she began slowly. "I… I might not have enough power for both spells. It's only been a few days - if you lower the moon and I raise the sun we might not be able to power up the Heart."

Luna shook her head slowly, looking back up to Celestia. "I don't care," she replied. She raised a hoof and placed it against Celestia's chest. "I was wrong," she whispered. "Before we go back to the Crystal Empire, which was so long ago… may we please fix what went wrong since? If we have to wait a few more days for the Heart… it will be worth it."

Celestia smiled softly. "On one condition, Luna," she said very gently.

Luna looked a little surprised. "A condition? What is it?"

Celestia's smile grew. "We do it together. If this is part of a solution, then I want you to be part of it."

Luna smiled and then nodded. The two of them looked over to Sunset and Sterling.

"Come outside," invited Celestia. "I think you will want to see this."

Luna and Celestia turned and walked back towards the front of the castle, emerging from underneath it and continuing until they stood near the center of the plaza before the staircase. Sunset and Sterling followed, stopping a little further back.

"Have you ever seen Celestia raise the sun?" asked Sterling.

Sunset nodded. "A couple of times, a long time ago. But I've never even heard of them doing it together. It's always been just one doing her part, then the other doing hers."

Sterling looked out towards the Princesses. "I've never seen it. I could never make it to a Summer Sun Celebration, I always had duty somewhere."

Sunset made a sound. "It was always better when it wasn't a Celebration day anyway… Celestia had to put on such a show that it was more about the presentation than the magic. When she was alone, that's when you really got to see the spell's power."

The two of them looked back towards the Princesses again. The Princesses had turned towards the west and Celestia was watching Luna with a smile. Luna's horn began to glow, and then Luna strained noticeably as her gaze went skyward towards the glow of the moon.

Luna's horn brightened, the blue aura increasing in intensity and casting its tint around the plaza. She spread her wings wide and held the power for a moment, shaking a little, before anything more happened.

All at once the moon began to change color, taking on a faint blue outline before a stronger pale blue glow painted itself down across the moon's face. When the entire moon was tinted there was a noticeable flash of blue light, and then Luna released a short pant of breath. Celestia didn't speak, but gently laid a wing across Luna's back.

"I'm okay…" panted Luna. "The hard part is over." She looked up again, and nudged her horn towards the horizon. The moon began to move, imperceptibly at first, but then it began to speed up until it was gliding slowly but steadily towards the horizon. Luna's breathing increased as her magic began to vary in brightness, but she remained focused on her goal.

After just a few more moments, the moon kissed the horizon. It's glow spread across the thin line of distant earth as it slipped beneath. Then there was just a silver-blue sliver of light left, and then the moon was gone, and the sky was dark. Luna released her spell and hunched over, panting deeply.

"Sister…?" began Celestia hesitantly. "What happened? You have not had such difficulty before?"

Luna frowned softly. "I'm… I can't recharge as quickly as you, Celestia." She sighed softly. "I'm not landed here. I don't have my full strength."

"Here?" asked Celestia, looking concerned. "Do you mean the Crystal Empire?"

"Equestria," replied Luna dully. "Equestria has turned away from me."

Celestia's jaw tightened, and for a moment she did not know what to say. "I… we will find a way to fix that, too, sister. I promise."

Luna shook her head. "It doesn't matter anymore," she said. "We have to raise the sun now. Ponies will be wondering what is going on."

Celestia nodded slowly. "Rest, Luna. You need your strength."

Luna smiled. "We had an agreement, Celestia. Please… let me help, if only a little. I'll be okay."

Celestia nodded. "Of course. Are you ready?"

Luna nodded, and the two of them turned towards the east. Celestia draped her wing across Luna's back once again and looked towards the horizon, lighting her horn. Her magic erupted in a brilliant golden aura that reached into the air above her horn. Luna took a breath, and then her horn lit again as well. After a moment, a thin blue strand of magic wove a trail around Celestia's horn, accenting her horn's spiral and merging with the aura above it.

Celestia smiled and nudged her horn skyward, and in the distant east the darkened sky began to turn a lighter shade, slowly beginning to brighten. The horizon went pink, then orange, and then exploded into a bright yellow flame as the top limb of the sun slipped into view. The light from the sun raced across the darkened land and turned the entire Crystal Empire into a gleaming inferno of yellow and orange reflections.

Sunset gasped as she felt those first warm rays heating her coat, and even Sterling couldn't help an utterance of awe. Celestia looked down at Luna with a question in her eyes, and Luna smiled back. "Go ahead," Luna whispered.

Celestia lowered her head to nuzzle Luna affectionately before she looked back to the sun, again nudging her horn towards the sky. The sun obeyed her movement and began to climb. As it rose the landscape around them brightened, and the deep black of the eternal night began to give way to the pale blue sky. Celestia held the spell as the sun climbed, checking on Luna occasionally. For her part, Luna continued to feed enough magic into Celestia's spell to keep a trace of blue magic spiralling up Celestia's horn, but she didn't seem to be struggling to do so.

"Amazing…" whispered Sterling.

"Yes," replied Sunset. "I thought I'd never see it again…"

"It's beautiful," whispered Luna as the sun settled into its position in the sky.

All at once a ring of magic blasted into their backs. A broad arc sprayed across the earth and spread out towards the distant horizon. All four of them raced around to look into the square underneath the castle. The sunlight had reached through the castle and was illuminating the Crystal Heart, now spinning rapidly and casting fractured spectrums of light in all directions.

"The heart!" cried Sunset. "What's it doing?"

There was a soft chuckle from behind one of the castle's pillars, and then a dark shadow stepped out into the sunlight. The sharp contrast from the newly bright light of day made it difficult to see at first, but the dark shadow resolved itself into the form of a large grey wolf as their eyes adjusted.

"The bond is restored," said Ulfrid. "And the heart spreads that love across the land."

Sunset's jaw dropped as Celestia and Sterling merely stared, but Luna leapt at the wolf and wrapped her wings tight around him. "Ulfrid!" she shouted. "Ulfrid, I thought you were destroyed!"

Ulfrid smiled at the embrace and shook his head. "I apologize, my liege. I could not approach whilst the leylines were so damaged."

"Do you mean the bonds you mentioned?" asked Luna. She released her hold on the wolf and stepped back, tilting her head. "Did the heart fix them?"

Ulfrid chuckled. "Nay, Highness. The heart has begun to repair the damage to the leylines, but first the two of you had to repair the bond."

Celestia stepped forward again. "I am glad to see you are all right, Ulfrid."

Ulfrid bowed to Celestia. "As I am for you, Highness. Congratulations on your success."

Sunset came forward and smiled. "All right then," she began with a grin. "So who are you?"

Ulfrid smiled and bowed to Sunset. "I serve," he replied.

"Some things never change, do they?" asked Sunset. Ulfrid grinned toothily in response.

"They told me that you were dead, wolf," began Sterling. "But I have to admit that I'm glad to see it's not so."

Ulfrid smiled and dipped his head to Sterling. "You have always stood by your loyalty, Captain. I trust that will be easier now."

"How…?" asked Sterling, but again Ulfrid only smiled.

Luna interrupted. "But if you were not destroyed, then what happened to you?"

Ulfrid bowed low. "I apologize, my Liege. I approached closer to the damaged land than I should have, and I could not hold on. I retreated back and did my best to send competent assistance in my stead." He smiled back to Sterling.

"Wait," replied Sterling. "So you DID do something?"

Ulfrid smiled. "I only presented opportunity, Captain."

"So… if the heart is fixing things," interjected Sunset. "How do we get the Crystal Ponies back?"

Ulfrid smiled towards her. "Once the leylines are completely repaired, the barrier that hides them will be very thin. You will be able to lead them out then. You have done very well."

Luna sighed softly. "I suppose it stands to reason that all that was needed was to return the sun. It was always the greater power, wasn't it?"

"Nay, my Liege." Ulfrid shook his head. "It was not the return of the sun, but your decision to reconcile. The sun returns by your choice, but it took both of you to recover the power of the Crystal Heart."

"And you know all this because…?" pressed Sunset. Ulfrid merely grinned at her.

"I know, I know… you serve," she grumbled. "Just once I'd like a straight answer."

"Peace, Sunset Shimmer," advised Celestia with a chuckle. "It would seem that we can at last return home."

"One more thing," commented Ulfrid, and he nodded towards Luna.

Luna gasped, rooting her hooves against the ground with a sudden awareness. Her eyes widened as a smile spread across her face. "Celestia!" she cried out. A tear raced down her face but her expression was one of glee. "I'm landed!"

-----

The Canterlot throne room was notably brighter in the light of day. The dais had been extended to support a second throne of gold next to Luna's obsidian, and Celestia sat on it next to Luna on hers. Between the two of them stood Sunset Shimmer, while Sterling Honor stood at attention on the second step, facing the distant doorway.

Both Celestia and Luna had had time to restore to their full power. Celestia's mane flowed in the invisible breeze, the pastel stripes of her magic carrying along her mane, while her tail flowed the same behind her throne. Luna's mane flowed on the invisible currents of her night breeze, the stars of the night sky reflected in them -- her own eternal night carried with her always.

"This will be our last court together for a while," commented Celestia. "Are you sure that you're going to be okay, Luna?"

Luna smiled and nodded. "I told you, Celestia, I'm fine. It has been long enough that I should be able to release the Crystal Ponies, and they will need somepony to help them readjust after being away for so long. I do have some experience, after all." She grinned.

Celestia nodded. "I know," she said slowly. "But you'll write regularly?"

Luna smiled. "Of course, dear sister."

"Besides," interjected Sunset. "You'll have me to keep you company, Princess Celestia."

Luna smirked at Celestia as Celestia looked back to Sunset. "Actually," she began with a teasing glint in her eye. "I think it's time that you got back to work."

Sunset blinked in surprise. "Work? We're starting up my studies again?"

Celestia chuckled. "In a way. Luna and I have a task for you…"

Sunset looked genuinely interested. "Oh? What is it?"

Luna smirked and replied. "Well, it's about the Elements of Harmony that you lost…"

"Wait… what?" asked Sunset.

Celestia nodded. "We agreed that it's not good to have them lost in the world. Even if we are not sure if we can activate them, we need you to bring them back. I do recall you saying that you knew where to start…"

Sunset looked a little less happy about the assignment. "It could take months to find them all," she protested. "And I'd have to travel all over Equestria!"

"Seems to me that you've done that before," chuckled Sterling without breaking his formal stance.

Celestia chuckled softly. "Yes, indeed. But I think that it would be very good for you, as well as being very important. Of course, you will have the full support of Canterlot for travel arrangements and budget." She leaned in close and mock-whispered, teasingly. "That means buying the Element in the used goods store, not acquiring it."

Sunset frowned. "I didn't think I'd be out on my own again so soon," she sulked.

Celestia leaned closer still and nuzzled Sunset gently. "Don't think of it that way," she advised. "You can return to Canterlot to visit and report to us any time you feel the need. And besides," she grinned. "You will have Sterling Honor along with you for official support."

Sunset blinked. "Wait! What?"

Sterling turned to face her, grinning. "After all," he noted. "You do have a history as a dangerous fugitive. Somepony needs to keep an eye on you. I hope you're ready to run a lot."

Luna laughed softly. "Now, now, Sterling Honor. Do not tease our student."

Sterling smiled and nodded, bowing. "Yes, your Majesty." He smiled back to Sunset. "More seriously, it is a part of my repayment to Equestria. I will be at your disposal for support and, if necessary protection, for the duration of your mission. Sergeant Impulse will run the guard in my absence."

"Wow," mused Sunset. "Um… all right, Princesses. We can do that."

Celestia and Luna nodded as Sterling turned forward again. Luna looked around. "Where is Ulfrid?" she wondered aloud. "We are past due to begin court."

"But one petitioner this morning, my Liege," came a voice from the end of the long hall. All four ponies looked up to see Ulfrid ambling down the carpet towards them.

"You made it!" teased Luna. "Show them in, please, Ulfrid."

Ulfrid reached the base of the thrones and bowed low. "Nay, my Liege, for the petitioner this morning is thine humble beast."

"You, Ulfrid?" asked Celestia. "What would you ask of us?"

Ulfrid raised from his bow and smiled a crooked smile. "I am here to report that Equestria is quiet and stable. While some pockets of resentment remain, peace prevails, and I can only assume that the reintegration of the crystal ponies will be good for all."

Luna smiled softly. "I will certainly do my best," she promised.

Ulfrid smiled back and dipped his head. "As I know that you will. And that is why I am here today to tell you that my work is complete, and that it is time for me to leave."

Luna and Celestia both frowned, and Luna got to her hooves. She stepped off the dais and stood directly in front of Ulfrid. "Leave?" she asked. "Leave for where?"

Ulfrid bowed and smiled. "You do not require my services any longer, my Liege."

"Whether I need them or not," retorted Luna. "I desire them!"

"My purpose was merely guidance whilst your path was uncertain. You are no longer lost, Your Highness. You require a steward no longer."

Luna blinked and raised a hoof to touch Ulfrid's cheek. "Titles don't matter, none of that matters. You're my friend."

The others watched quietly while Ulfrid bowed again. "Should you ever need me, Your Highness, I will always be around the nearest corner."

Luna looked down at him quietly. "I can't stop you, can I?"

Ulfrid remained in his bow. "No, my Liege. But I would prefer your leave."

Luna sighed deeply, and she looked at Celestia. Celestia nodded slowly, and then Luna looked back down to Ulfrid. She blinked away a few tears and smiled crookedly at the wolf. "We wouldn't have made it without you, Ulfrid."

Ulfrid didn't rise. "I always had confidence in you, my Liege. Now, if you could…?"

Luna nodded, slowly. "You are excused, dear Ulfrid. Don't stay away too long."

Ulfrid smiled in his bow. "I will always be near, dear Princess." He stood again and looked to Celestia. "By your leave, Princess?"

Celestia smiled softly and nodded. "Safe travels to you, Ulfrid."

Ulfrid closed his eyes and dipped his head, smiling anew. Then he turned and ambled back down the long carpet towards the distant door. The ponies watched him go until he turned through the open doorway, and then Luna turned and stepped back onto the dais. She mounted her throne with a heavy sigh.

"Are you alright, Luna?" asked Celestia.

Luna nodded softly. "A little sad, dear sister. But I suppose that part of me expected that this day would come. He was always a little more than he seemed."

Celestia nodded to Luna, smiling softly. "Haven't you figured it out yet?"

Luna managed a bit of a smirk. "Hm. Only some, I think."

Sunset frowned, and interjected. "Well, I don't understand any of it! What are you talking about?"

Luna smiled to Sunset and then looked to Celestia for confirmation. "Ulfrid is bonded to Equestria, isn't he? That's why we lost him when you broke the leylines of the Frozen North?"

Celestia hmmed and nodded. "I think that he is Equestria. When your covenant with the land was broken, he was manifested to guide you back. That's why he wanted us both to succeed."

Luna considered that, nodding slowly. "That explains a lot. It explains how he moved around, and why he could never directly tell us what we needed to do."

Sunset brightened. "Oh! Like a golem? He couldn't make decisions without a living master?"

Celestia chuckled. "A crude analogy, I think, but maybe close enough. He clearly had a preference, but perhaps was not able or not permitted to manifest it."

Luna nodded again. "Much more than a golem, certainly." She considered for a moment. "So the disruption of the magical fields interfered with his manifestation… but he was still able to impart influence a little further away - for instance: to send the Captain as support in his place."

Sterling sighed softly, though he still held his stance. "I may have misjudged his intent."

Celestia shook her head. "But do you see, little sister? Equestria herself wants us both. What an honor - we were meant to rule together. I promise you… I will never let myself forget that again."

Luna smiled softly, her eyes misty. "I don't even want to rule without you, sister."

Sunset smiled softly, her own eyes growing misty, but Sterling stomped his hoof and coughed loudly. "Ahem, not to interrupt, Highnesses! I hearby declare today's court officially closed. Sunset Shimmer, we have some packing to do!"

Celestia blinked, and then laughed aloud. "All right, Sterling Honor. Everypony is dismissed!"

-----

Sterling Honor looked around his office one last time. Everything had been packed away, all his paperwork had been passed on to Sergeant Impulse, and everything remaining had been locked away. There was just one task left before he could head home and prepare for his journey.

There was a faint knock at the door behind him, and he turned around, using his magic to swing the door open.

"Come in, Corporal," he called.

Stratosphere entered the office. His wing was still bandaged but Sterling had been told it was healing well enough. There was even a chance that Stratosphere would fly again, although never to the heights that he used to. And this was what Sterling wanted to address.

Stratosphere raised his good wing to his forehead in a salute, and stood at attention. "Corporal Stratosphere reporting," he said softly. "Though I don't think it matters, sir."

"You're still in the guard, pony," noted Sterling. "So there will be none of that talk."

"You should have just let me quit, dude…"

Sterling assumed a stern expression. He knew that Stratosphere was unhappy, but he hoped that this would offer some reward for the pegasus' help. "Corporal, I have something new for you to work on."

Stratosphere sighed and looked aside, towards the window. "Come on, dude. My wing's busted up. I'm no good for anything anymore. Sir."

Sterling forced a chuckle, and tapped a hoof on the ground to get Stratosphere to look forward again. "I'd hate to lose those eyes of yours," he noted. "You've been very important."

"They aren't any good to me down on the ground," complained Stratosphere. He did at least turn his head and look forward.

"Well, maybe you don't have to stay on the ground," encouraged Sterling.

"I'm sorry du.. sir. I just can't handle balloon flight. It's just too slow."

Sterling chuckled, that was the hook he had been waiting for. "That's just it," he replied. "I want you to go investigate this development in the Griffin Kingdom - a place called Kitten Hawk. It's a new invention called an aeroplane..."

-----

Sunset Shimmer opened the flap on her saddlebag and used her magic to lift her diary from within it. Setting the book down on her bed, she flipped idly through the pages, pausing every so often to read an entry. She started as she was interrupted by a voice from behind her.

"Are you packed for your journey, Sunset Shimmer?" asked Celestia.

Sunset turned and looked up at Princess Celestia with a confused expression. Celestia smiled gently back to her.

"Are you just… sending me away, Princess?"

Celestia shook her head and opened her wings, reaching forward and drawing Sunset up against her breast. "No, dear one. No. The Elements of Harmony are very important, and you are the only pony who even knows where to start looking for them. But there is another, more important reason."

Sunset looked up at her, and Celestia smiled back down to Sunset. "I have been negligent in your development," continued Celestia. "I've been too afraid to send you off on the challenges that I've known you were more than ready for, because I didn't want to let you go."

"Why?" asked Sunset.

"You are not just a student, Sunset Shimmer… I care for you as much as my own daughter. And that means that sometimes I have made decisions that were more for my benefit than yours. But I see that now, and I know that you are not only ready to meet these challenges, but that you need these challenges to grow." She grinned. "Consider it a test."

"But Princess," asked Sunset. "What if I fail?"

"Is that the right question?" asked Celestia. When Sunset only looked confused, Celestia shifted to hold Sunset before her, lowering her head to Sunset's level. She looked directly into Sunset's eyes and spoke with all seriousness. "What if you succeed?"

Sunset's eyes widened with realization, and she nodded. Celestia smiled and raised her head again. "Don't be afraid, Sunset. I will always be here to guide you and you will always be able to ask me for help. But I know that you are ready for the next level of your studies and that great things are coming."

Sunset considered that, her eyes going to the ground as she thought about it. When her eyes came up again, they were clear. "I can do this, Princess."

Celestia smiled and nodded. "And all Equestria is ready to see that."

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 36 )

Well it looks like this is the end.

Overall... It was okay. It was worth reading, but it didn't leave much of an impact. Luna and Celestia don't really change in a meaningful way from start to finish, and the rest are kind of disposable when all is said and done. It feels like the story closed off a lot of avenues for depth in order to focus on the main plot, and then doesn't really do anything with the added attention.

A lovely story that I'm happy reached conclusion. Well done.

Thank you. It was a bit hard to keep track of sudden plot changes, but I see you had everything figured out from the start.

So the Mane 6 remained in the background?

8316992
No, I didn't actually! But thank you for thinking so. :) There were a few scenes I had in mind that I really wanted to hit, but it was largely off the cuff. For that I apologize.

8317023
Yeah. Check my blog post for more details on that and other thoughts that ran through the background of the story.

8317484
Hah! I never saw original Dragon Ball, only parts of Z.

AMAZING!!! Such a great story! Thank you so much for writing this and for seeing it through till the end. I loved the whole concepts and even your OC's.

Ulfrid alive! wooo! this story is a hidden jem. Great job.Im going to go back and reread the entire thing! The ending was great. Sunset goes on her adventures.

> Hold the mobile telecommunication device, Pinkie shouldn't be there.

Ahhh, but she can. The Rainboom didn't /create/ her destiny, it only revealed it. If we assume (as this story does) that destinies are pre-ordained for ponies, then the assumption is that Pinkie discovered her talents another way. However, here it happened much later in her life, resulting in a somewhat more subdued pony, due to extra years of being told to calm down. Also I couldn't resist. ;)

AJ returned to the farm a couple of years later, and is stll very happy running it, but she's slightly more formal due to extra time in high society.

Fluttershy still moved to her cottage in Ponyville, in fact there's not much difference in her life, although again her talent was discovered a little later.

Twilight stayed in Canterlot and opened a book shop. She never discovered the depth of her magic due to her preference for study.

Dash stayed in Cloudsdale and things were reasonably close to the same for her. She's just slightly lazier here. At the time of the story she had not joined the Wonderbolts.

Rarity continued to work in fashion and moved to Canterlot early. She had a rockier start but eventually found success.

> I only just realised. Sunset can't be Celestia's student. She ran away before the rainboom yet this story inplies that the rainboom happened while Celestia chose her.

As far as canon goes, yes. This was one thing (besides the rainboom) that I had to twist to fit my needs. That was partly the reason for the initial diary chapter, the other reason was simply to explain why the mane six don't feature.

> Fail Nightmare Moon for not recognising the amulet.

The amulet was created while she was banished to the moon.

So... I have to ask... Is going to be a sequel coming soon?

Also... I suppose you changed a little because in the cannon Sunset had more years that Twilight but... There is no Cadence in this world?

8376988
I deliberately set it up for a sequel but I didn't intend to actually write it. The idea does poke me from time to time. ;)

Cadance was one that I didn't work out. I haven't dug enough into her back story to have an idea where she would have landed. :)

woah havent been on FimFic forever...

THIS STORY IS FINISHED? WOOHOO!

This was a pretty damn good read. Not much really to say, but it was pretty good...

I am not good at comments lol

I quite enjoyed this. I was curious to see how it would pan out. This almost felt like something the show writers could have come up with. That's a hard tone to even get close to. Well done.

Well this was fun. It was a cute story that was well written and strongly glued together. No plotholes or confusion at all, just a well-oiled story. I can't say I was happy with the way the plot suddenly shifted earlier. I was very excited to go on an espionage journey with Celestia and Sunset to get back the elements and confront her sister. Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the story hinged on all possible divergent paths going the wrong way in my eyes. Neither path was wrong, of course, and the story is still well-written and very enjoyable, but there were just a few too many times for me that I wished we had gone the other way.

8427733
Thanks! That might have been an interesting way to go, but it never occurred to me to try keeping Celestia and Sunset hidden away in Canterlot. Some of the story jumps came about because I wrote the story largely unplanned, one chapter at a time, and I'm working on smoothing some of that out now. Of course smoothing doesn't present the alternate possibilities. ;) Thanks for taking the time though!

Comment posted by tursi deleted Nov 11th, 2017

8259840
Except for the fact that Daybreaker is clearly a manifestation of Celestia's fears rather than Starlight's since Daybreaker focuses on Celestia which she wouldn't do if if she was only a fear of Starlight Glimmer.

8570075
That's an interesting comment.. but it's still happening in Starlight's mind. You make an interesting point though -- Celestia was new to using the dream magic. It's not inconceivable that she brought her own doubts and fears to the forefront in Starlight's dream. Still, to avoid the name 'Daybreaker' I maintain Starlight's mind came up with that. ;) (For anyone reading this, we're talking about the show and not the story here ;) ).

Just updated every single chapter. See my blog post for details. :)

8691144
And now one last time - every chapter cleaned up a bit. And I think I'm done now.Thanks for reading!

Well, that was... really good.

9017977
Thank you for reading!

re-read it after two years and still liked it, and asking the same questions, hope that this time the answer is different and there is a chance for sequel.

9841169
Thanks for re-reading, that's always a good sign. There is a chance. I've got about 21 pages of notes - thinking that if I did a sequel I should plan the whole thing out for a change. My main concern is that if I do, there won't be anyone left to read it by the time it's out. ;) But it may still be fun.

9841467
I guess is true, it's better to do what you can, you can't force the muse to write or you will only get bad quality

Amazing story. I loved it

This story was amazing, I loved every part of it. I do hope there is a sequel as that ending did leave a little cliffhanger as to what Sunset's adventures would be like, and most certainly its already set up so that it isnt just one of those fics where Twilight is cut out and Sunset is just pasted in.

Some weeks ago I bought a copy of Night Reigns and I am glad I did so.:twilightsmile:
It was such a great read. Thank you for writing something that awesome and publishing it as a print on demand. The book is truly a nice extension of my printed fanfiction collection.
i.imgur.com/yymIhrq.jpeg

10754787
Aw, that's really sweet, thank you! Print is forever so it means a lot that there's another copy out there! :)

I glad those two actually worked out their issues. Considering it seems like they never actually worked on them in the show. Celestia was apologized to by Luna after the elements hit her and was sent to her sister shadow for the rest of the show.

10862982
I appreciate the comments. Thanks for reading!

This was a very good story. :moustache: Never fell into a rut, changed often enough to stay fresh, had good character development, the lore fit well in the g4 world, and the OCs were used to good effect and not overplayed.

I particularly enjoyed how the reconciliation between Luna and Celestia went. While the actual moment in the dream did happen quickly, it was something that, effectively, had been building throughout the course of the entire tale, so it really didn't seem rushed to me. The shifting points of view allowed us to see hints of it from both sisters' perspectives as time went on. And, of course, our friend the wolf had basically been laying the groundwork from the getgo.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one! Thank you for writing it :twilightsmile:

11291300
Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the little comments! I had a good laugh reading them :)

11641800

There are TONS of small Countries and City States ruled by Dictators and Crime Lords, whose populations would worship anyone who could free them.

Where? I can’t think of a single nation in the show that was ever ruled by a brutal dictator! Well, I mean there was Sombra, but he went down very quickly and it was implied he used mind control, not force and threat.

Login or register to comment