• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 5,269 Views, 331 Comments

Night Reigns - tursi



Ten years after Nightmare Moon returns from her exile and plunges Equestria into Eternal Night, Celestia escapes from her solar prison. Weakened and alone, she needs to rebuild her strength. But how can she put things right?

  • ...
14
 331
 5,269

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37 - Red on the Breeze

As Sunset passed through the doorway the shadows melted away and she found herself in another round room. She looked behind herself, but the doorway was a nearly-opaque blackness, she could see only shadows through it. Turning forward again, she saw that this room was similar to the previous one, except for being brighter, and it also had a staircase heading upwards along the walls. These walls were made of crystal instead of stone and reflected and refracted the moonlight all the way to the floor. Sunset squinted upwards and thought she could just make out the top.

"It's like a tower…" she commented. "Where are we?"

Sterling was standing there, waiting for her. "To be completely honest," he started, "I'm not entirely certain where we were before. So maybe you can tell me, where are we?"

Sunset shook her head. "Crystal Empire, remember? Celestia brought it back, and then you got trapped in a shadow illusion. For me I think it happened when the dark crystals caught up with me under the castle… maybe it was the same for you?"

Sterling frowned as he tried to remember. "Dark crystals… Crystal Empire…? No… no, none of that rings a bell. I was in the Crystal Mountains enroute to backup Princess Luna and… our train was stopped by a slide. I went to investigate something in the woods and… Ulfrid!" His eyes flashed and he looked up. "That wolf put me here! Where is he?"

Sunset looked surprised. "Ulfrid?" She spoke more gently. "No, that's impossible. We were with him right up until he… we lost him."

Sterling focused his glare on Sunset. "You lost him? What do you mean? Perhaps he slipped away to entrap me?"

Sunset shook her head. "No, I mean lost." She grimaced. "He succumbed to some kind of magic… I saw it happen. He aged and even though Princess Luna tried to heal him, he just… disintegrated."

Sterling frowned, but his glare softened. "Even Princess Luna could not save him? What magic was this?"

Sunset shook her head again. "We don't know… I didn't know Ulfrid well but it shook up Princess Luna pretty badly. She didn't want to go on… I had to convince her."

Sterling tilted his head. "You did that?"

"I had to," replied Sunset, "We are so close!"

Sterling looked down as he considered this. "Ulfrid always seemed a rival of sorts to me. I was jealous of him and suspected him of ulterior motives. But I did not expect him to die in the service of the Princess."

Sunset paused for a moment. "Princess Luna and Princess Celestia both said there was more to him than it appeared… perhaps you saw just enough of that to arouse suspicion."

Sterling looked up to Sunset again. "Princess Celestia knew Ulfrid too?"

Sunset blinked and bit her lip, realizing she'd said more than she meant to. "He… he visited us when we arrived at the caverns under Canterlot. He… took my spare birthday cupcake. This was just a day before you found us."

Sterling looked surprised for a moment, and then smiled enough to utter a small chuckle. "I am trying to imagine that enormous wolf with a birthday cupcake."

Sunset coughed back a chuckle of her own and then looked around again, trying to change the subject. "I wonder if we are in another part of the castle? That doorway may have been the entrance to an otherwise inaccessible area… that would explain the trap."

"Perhaps," responded Sterling. He frowned and then looked at Sunset with slight hesitation. "Do you know any spells for long distance communication? I have two squadrons in the Crystal Mountains that need instructions. There's no way I can cover the distances involved, I would normally send a pegasus."

Sunset shook her head again. "I can't… not that far. Even at full strength that would be pretty challenging. But maybe when we see Princess Celestia again she can help?"

Sterling frowned. "She seemed to be at less than full strength herself, but I suppose she is alicorn. Very well then." He trailed off and then stood quietly, watching Sunset.

Sunset eyed him carefully. "What?" she asked. "You're usually in such a hurry to get moving. What's the problem?"

Sterling's frown deepened. "The Princess put you in charge," he stated. "I'm… just waiting for your orders."

Sunset rolled her eyes. "Oh, come off it," she grumbled. "Just like that, you're all in line with the Princess of the Sun again?"

Sterling let out his breath in frustration and stomped his hoof again. "Not just like that!" he snapped. "No. I don't choose between one or the other. My duty lies with Equestria, whoever she may be following. So, I can't disobey a direct order from a Princess of Equestria, even if I'm not sure what the situation is with the other."

Sunset shook her head. "You can't expect me to believe that you were ‘just following orders' for Nightmare Moon."

Sterling grit his teeth. "I admire Nightmare Moon, there is no question. But my duty overrides what I might want or not want to do. I already made this choice once, when Nightmare Moon took over, and now it appears that I will learn what that choice cost."

Sunset frowned, seeming unconvinced. "So, what's next for you, then?" she asked.

Sterling sat down and looked up towards the distant light. "That will depend on the Princesses, I suppose. Princess Celestia claims to have reconciled with Princess Luna. If that is true… then the era of Nightmare Moon has ended. It is… fair that those of us who supported her will be tried. I don't know what Princess Luna's view will be, but I know that I would not be in Celestia's favor."

Sunset grunted and tilted her head, watching him for a moment. "Do you think that helping Celestia and I now will buy you favor?"

Sterling shook his head. "In the illusion, I was confronted by both Princess Celestia and Nightmare Moon at the same time. They each accused me of betrayal and in front of the other, each demanded that I pledge my loyalty so that the other might punish me. I imagine that will be the case when this is all over with."

Sunset made a small sound as she relaxed her challenge, and then smiled. "Well, that was a much deeper illusion than mine… though, I'll admit it scared the hay out of me. In mine, I tried to wake you from the spell and it infected my horn, blocking all my magic. I couldn't even cast light!"

Sterling looked back to her again, and then nodded. "Well, at least yours was honorable."

"Was it?" asked Sunset. "The fear that the spell locked onto for me was losing my own magic; that's pretty selfish. For you, the spell locked onto whether you had betrayed the Princesses that you swore to protect. Some might say even worrying about that is worthy of some respect."

"I am not so convinced," replied Sterling, standing again.

"Anyway," continued Sunset. "It doesn't matter. It was just an illusion. It was a trick to throw you off and keep you distracted. And speaking of distracted…" Sunset got a mischievous look in her eyes. "I saw you looking at Celestia as she cast the shadow magic spell…"

Sterling's eyes widened and then he chuckled. "Hmm. I've never seen Princess Celestia use magic like that before. I would have thought her incapable. It was… eye-opening."

Sunset smiled. "You think she's all sunshine and happy thoughts, and Luna's your dark and brooding Queen, is that it?"

Sterling grimaced. "As always, you over-simplify to the point of ridiculousness."

Sunset shook her head, still smiling. "Trust me. Celestia has deeper and darker thoughts and concerns than even Nightmare Moon. But through it all… she only wants to protect Equestria." She paused and then added, "And her sister. To be honest I think I'd be afraid if she were forced to choose."

Sterling made a thoughtful sound and frowned. "All the same… her return was just as devastating as Nightmare Moon warned it would be. She was very nearly successful in destroying Nightmare Moon."

Sunset frowned now and shook her head. "She wasn't herself… she had the curse from that stupid amulet. For pony's sake, you should know all about that! Didn't you say it was corrupting your thoughts?"

Sterling nodded, slowly. "It twisted my desire to serve…" He trailed off there. After a moment, he looked up again. "We are wasting time. What do you know about this Crystal Heart?"

Sunset thought for a moment. "Well, Luna and Celestia both mentioned an artifact, although Luna didn't know what it was. The Crystal Heart would appear to be this artifact and I guess Celestia thinks it's through here. We have to take it down to the base of the castle and there's a little crystal mount for it right there in the open. Hopefully then it will turn on and voila! I have no idea after that."

Sterling smirked. "Well… not the most complete plan, but it is a plan." He looked up the stairs and then back to Sunset again, waiting.

Sunset stared at him for a moment, and then she sighed with exasperation. "Oh, for pony's sake. Will you just take charge already?"

Sterling tilted his head and smiled. "Is that an order, Ma'am?"

Sunset looked away in annoyance. "Oh, Celestia!" she grumbled. "Yes! Go! This is what you live for."

Sterling grinned and then looked up the staircase. "In that case," he announced, "move out!" He broke into an immediate gallop and hit the stairs at a full run.

Sunset grumbled and started after him. "Yep, move out," she repeated. "Sterling Honor's love for stairs can never be sated! Oh, for… wait up!"

"Come on, Sunset Shimmer," called Sterling. "I thought you could keep up! Don't disappoint me now!"

Sunset grumbled as she climbed the stairs, looking at the hundreds of feet above them. "No, just… wait… slow down! Oh, to Tartarus with this!" She ran hard, getting to within a dozen feet of Sterling Honor and then lit her horn brightly. She focused as high up as she could see, and then without further warning the two of them winked out, only to wink back in much closer to the top.

Sterling stumbled in surprise, allowing Sunset to catch up. "What's the matter, Captain?" she teased. "Can't handle a mid-gallop teleport?"

Sterling recovered his hooves as quickly as he could, and then shook his head at her. "You could have given me a little warning!" he snapped.

Sunset laughed. "Ah, like your three-two-one-GO countdowns to full-on gallop. You're just grumpy that I'm going to beat you this time! Or do you want me to wink you back down so that you can enjoy the stairs you missed?"

The two of them slowed rapidly as they reached the top of the staircase, peeking carefully into the room. They had indeed reached the top of a tower – a small round room no more than thirty feet across. It was covered with a ceiling but largely open to the air on every side, letting the silvery moonlight stream in. The staircase itself opened via a small slit in the floor along the wall while the rest of the room was completely barren, except for the very center. There hovered a large, pale blue crystal carved in the shape of a heart. The moonlight bounced within its translucent shape and radiated outwards, casting a light blue glow on the floor around it.

Sunset and Sterling looked at each other and carefully stepped onto the floor. "That's got to be it," noted Sunset as she stepped forward.

Sterling lifted a foreleg to stop her. "Wait," he instructed. "It can't possibly be this easy. We've already triggered one trap. I'll get it."

Sunset stepped back and smirked. "For glory, huh?"

"Shh!" replied Sterling as he started to advance. "For once, knock off the taunting. Risk is my job." He stepped carefully, each hoofstep testing the floor before he settled his weight onto it. He advanced slowly, one step at a time, and as he drew near the heart Sunset found herself holding her breath.

Finally, he was there in the center of the room, his face reflected in the crystal of the Heart. It hovered just inches from him and did not move as he carefully circled it. Once he had reached the far side of the heart he stopped and nodded to Sunset. "All right," he whispered. "Let's see now…"

His muscles tensed, and slowly he raised his hoof and reached forward until his hoof touched the Heart. A second later he let his breath out, as did Sunset. "Nothing," he said. "It just feels like crystal."

He lit his horn and captured the heart in his magical field, lifting it slightly from where it hovered. "Nothing holding it here," he mumbled. "Maybe just a simple balancing spell…"

Sunset nodded. "Well, all right then, be careful with it."

Sterling smiled. "Well, since you are in charge, why don't you carry it?" His expression grew more serious. "That will keep me free to counter anything that does come up on us on the way back down."

Sunset smirked. "Fine, fine… I'll carry it. Then you can gallop all the way back down again, like I know you want to."

Sterling rolled his eyes and brightened his levitation field, floating the heart over to Sunset. Sunset lit her own horn and captured the heart in her own field. "I've got it, you can let go," she said.

Sterling nodded and his spell faded out. There was a sudden crash and the sound of shattering crystal filled the room. All at once a ring of jagged black crystals erupted around the center of the room, hiding Sterling from Sunset's sight.

"Oh no! Not again!" cried Sunset. A second ring of crystals erupted from the floor around the first, causing the tower to shake. She turned to run for the stairs, only to have a ragged shaft of black crystal erupt from the staircase, blocking her path.

She turned around again, but the rings of crystals from the center of the room were growing closer, boxing her in against the staircase. Desperately she looked around. There was a clear path to the outside and she ran for it, the crystals slamming in behind her.

She reached the opening and looked outside. The tower dropped hundreds of feet to the ground far below, and a narrow ledge of smooth crystal ran around the outside. Glancing behind her she saw the dark crystal rings just a couple of feet away, with random spikes jutting up as she watched. She gingerly hopped out onto the ledge, holding the heart away from the tower with her magic and trying to balance as she walked around the ring, away from the onrushing crystal.

"Horse apples!" she thought. "I can't wink with an artifact, I don't know what it will do! How am I going to WHAAAAA!"

A heavy vibration shook the tower and her hooves slipped right off the rim. She caught the edge with her fore hooves and clung as tightly as she could. "Oh no, oh no, oh no! I've got to wink… I can't focus on a destination…! Levitation! Come on horn!!"

With a loud shattering crash, the dark crystals erupted through the sides of the tower opening, shaking it hard, and Sunset's grip slipped. She found herself in freefall, her only instincts to clench her eyes tightly shut. She brought the Crystal Heart closer and wrapped herself around it to avoid losing it as she fought the panic. "No! No! Nononono!! Focus, damnit!"

Suddenly she felt the warmth of a body against her and the wind stopped rushing past her ears. She gasped and opened her eyes, looking right into the smiling, goggled face of Corporal Stratosphere.

"Hey, Sunny," he grinned. "I saw you ‘hanging around' and decided to be ready in case you wanted to ‘drop in'."

Sunset's eyes went wide and tears formed at the corners. "When we get down," she said in quiet gratitude, "I'm going to punch you for that pun. But right now, I think I'm going to kiss you!"

Stratosphere smirked. "That's not much incentive to take you down, Sunny," he teased.

Sunset shook her head. "Come on, we have to restore this artifact under the castle. All Equestria's at stake."

Stratosphere banked and started to circle downwards towards the castle. "All right, all right. It's a good thing I decided to come see what was going on. But I'd rather have that kiss than the WHOA!"

A sharp, narrow tower of dark crystal erupted from the ground, shooting up a hundred feet in a second and narrowly missing as Stratosphere banked. He glanced downward, seeing a second and then a third pillar erupting towards them.

"Dude, what's going on? Whatever you've got there, these things want it! We've got to climb out of reach!"

Sunset clung tightly to Stratosphere's body as he angled upwards and pumped his wings. He climbed rapidly, but as Sunset glanced down she saw one more pillar heading right for them. "Watch out!" she shouted.

Stratosphere glanced downwards but it was already too late. The pillar of dark crystal slammed into them with enough force to knock them even further skyward. Rather than shattering on impact it rapidly formed a large spiked cage around them, locking them in tightly. Stratosphere screamed in pain.

"My wing, dude! It smashed my wing!"

Sunset gasped and pushed herself to her hooves. "Trapped!" she though, panicking. They were trapped in a small sphere constructed of dark crystal no more than five feet across, with bar-like spires all around them. Sunset glanced around the newly formed cage and was relieved to see that the Heart was trapped with them. She then peered over the edge towards the ground. They were easily as high as the original tower, perched atop a narrow, meandering pillar of menacing dark crystal.

Sunset took a moment to compose herself, focusing on a level part of the crystal just outside the cage. Her horn lit and she winked out, reappearing outside the cage. As soon as her hooved touched down, however, she was tugged back, phasing through the spires that defined the cage and dropped right back in the center again.

"There's no getting out!" she realized. But she took a moment to catch her breath and soon she realized that there was no more sound of crashing crystal, no more shaking or crystalline eruptions. The attack was over, for the moment.

She let her focus return to reality and turned to face Stratosphere, who was whimpering and tugging on his wing. It was twisted and caught between the spires of the cage, and Sunset was not sure that it hadn't actually been punched right through.

"Shh! Shh!" called Sunset. "Stop tugging on it, let me have a look. I have medical training."

"Oh stars, Sunny!" begged Stratosphere. "Please help me! It really hurts!"

"Call me Sunset," said Sunset softly. She looked at the wing carefully. Stratosphere was still twitching a lot which made it hard to be certain, but it looked very damaged. "Tell me your name?"

Stratosphere's eyes shrank and he stared at her, dumbfounded. "I never told you my name?" he asked.

Sunset tried to think back… she thought that he might have but she couldn't remember what it was. Still, he'd stopped struggling for the moment and Sunset hoped he might be distracted enough for the extraction.

"I… don't think so?" she replied brightly, lighting her horn and starting to wrap her magical field around the wing.

"Oh, dude!" exclaimed Stratosphere. "No wonder you would barely talk to me! You didn't even know who I am! I'm so stupid! Dude, my name's Strato-OOOWWWW!"

Sunset completed her initial examination while Stratosphere was talking, and shifted the broken bones to pull the wing back from the twisted crystal that entrapped it. She was not the least bit surprised when Stratosphere howled – she was certain that it had to be extremely painful. The crystal had captured and twisted the wing in a hundred places, shattering the bones and deforming it badly. But she wasn't done yet.

"Strato what?" she encouraged, as if she hadn't noticed the scream.

Tears streamed from Stratosphere's eyes, but he clenched his jaw as Sunset's magical field tried to shift the bone fragments into place. "St… Strato… sphere!" he stuttered between breaths.

"Hello, Stratosphere," said Sunset gently as she did her best to position the shattered wing against his body. "I wish we'd met under better circumstances."

"Ow!" whimpered Stratosphere. "Oh, dude, OW! Oh, dude, it hurts!"

Sunset frowned softly. "You're going to be fine," she comforted. "I can't do much more for you up here… but once we get down you'll be fine." She frowned, knowing it was a lie. "I can put you to sleep, to help the pain? I don't have enough magic to do much more." she offered.

Stratosphere looked at her, frowning and biting back the pain. "I…" he panted… "this might be… my only chance… to spend time with you!" He managed a crooked grin through the obvious pain.

Sunset half-smiled and shook her head. "That's almost sweet," she replied. "But really stupid." She lit her horn and leaned in to touch it to his forehead. "You go to sleep now."

PreviousChapters Next