• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 5,278 Views, 331 Comments

Night Reigns - tursi



Ten years after Nightmare Moon returns from her exile and plunges Equestria into Eternal Night, Celestia escapes from her solar prison. Weakened and alone, she needs to rebuild her strength. But how can she put things right?

  • ...
14
 331
 5,278

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9 - Red in the Morning

While Stratosphere was being assigned his task in Canterlot, the Ponyville Express arrived in Ponyville on time at 8:15am. Nightfall had not affected the efficiency of the rail system, although ponies were far less prone to engage in idle conversation or ask questions of those traveling on it anymore. The station was quiet as Sunset Shimmer stepped off the train and flipped up her hood. Her brightly colored fur was very visible in the moonlight and she preferred to be a shadow when she could be.

She made her way to the street and looked around herself. It had been a long time since she'd been to Ponyville. She had been afraid of capture and the proximity to Canterlot; even now she was looking and half-expecting to see the Night Guard converging on her. But those ponies who were on the street paid her little mind. She finally allowed herself to relax and considered her next move.

She wanted to charge straight to the ancient castle, but she knew that was not a wise move. She still wanted to write a response in her book, something that would both indicate acceptance and buy her some time if it was a trap. She would also need to collect some supplies before entering the forest. And then… her heart caught in her throat. What if it was true? What if Celestia was back?

Then it will be time to face your past.

She nodded to the shadows and swallowed the lump that formed in her throat. Her old teacher would know what to do and she was ready to face the consequences of her failures - if it meant that they could now be put right.

Her first move, now decided, was breakfast. She made her way to the Oat Barn, which was one of the few restaurants in town, and was pleased to see that it was still where she remembered it. She ordered a breakfast sandwich and a glass of honey sweetened water, and then made her way back to a quiet corner seat.

After a few bites of her sandwich she withdrew her book and a quill from her saddlebag. She'd had the entire train ride to consider what to write, and upon reaching a blank page, started immediately.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I have started preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration as you requested, and I look forward to meeting you and receiving your assistance.

I regret to inform you that due to a personal matter, we will be unable to meet as soon as you arrive. I expect that I will be delayed by six hours, but I will find you when I return. You may trust that all is moving forward while you wait.

Your student,
Sunset Shimmer

She watched as the glowing ink faded, and then glanced around to see if any other pony had noticed. She quickly closed the book and stored it back into her saddlebag before it could respond and then relaxed a moment as she finished her sandwich.

Her phrasing hadn't been terribly subtle, but it should be enough. She had really wanted to write 'tomorrow' instead of 'six hours', but anypony who knew the Summer Sun Celebration would know that Celestia wouldn't be staying overnight. She was already pushing it to expect that six hours was a reasonable time, but Celestia had hinted in her entry that she'd be helping to set up. The gamble was reasonable, she hoped.

A few supplies and she could be on her way, with plenty of time to pre-empt any traps set against her.

-----

Much later, Sunset Shimmer trod grumpily down an alley, having finally escaped from the outdoor sports supply store. When she told the elderly shop keeper that she planned to scale the Smokey Mountain off White Tail Woods - a cover story that she had thought very clever - he had first seen fit to lecture her extensively on how proper ponies don't do things like that anymore.

"Far too dangerous. Stupid, too. Why would you climb a mountain in the dark? I don't even know if Nightmare Moon would allow it!"

"It's… I'm… don't worry. I… uh… I have a permit already."

With the lecture behind her, the shop keeper proceeded to bring out what seemed to Sunset to be every single piece of merchandise in his inventory - one piece at a time. Ropes, lamps, anchors, belay devices, blankets… it went on and on. In particular, an exceptionally long comparison between six different types of carabiners grated on Sunset's patience until she finally agreed to buy several of each of them.

"I have these real humdingers - magical firestarters! Don't need nothing to make a spark!"

Sunset Shimmer had sighed and shown him that she had a horn, to which he grunted. "Even a unicorn needs help now and then."

So it had continued for what felt like forever. But once they had finally settled on the inventory for her grand climb, the totaling of the bill seemed to take nearly as long. It also took most of her bits. But finally she was bundled up, and the gear was loaded into a huge canvas sack and balanced on her back. She had thanked the shop keeper and staggered directly into the nearest alley, where she dropped the gear with a grunt.

Real inconspicuous, Sunset.

"Shut up," she told the shadows. "I just wanted to get out of there."

She opened the canvas and began to sift through the inventory, extracting the things that she felt she really would need in the forest. She selected a single coil of rope and some accessories for handling it. She kept two blankets and the first aid kit, and even two of the ration kits, leaving the rest up against the wall of the building. As she coiled the rope and secured it to her flank, she grinned.

"Too bad he didn't have a hat… I could be just like Daring Do." She mused for a moment. "Must be the only thing he didn't have."

She made her way to the end of the alley and then paused as she looked across the intersection she had reached. Before her, unmistakably, was the town bakery. While most of the buildings in town were rather plain and non-descript, this one stood out by being anything but. The walls resembled gingerbread, and the roof and corners appeared to be frosted. The delicious scent of sweet baking wafted across the intersection towards her.

She scuffed the ground in frustration… she didn't want to be tempted. But an unbidden thought had risen in her mind - she hadn't finished her birthday cupcake. It was the only treat she had all year, surely she deserved it?

Especially if this is a trap. It might be my last cupcake for a long time.

She sighed softly and then made her way across the intersection. Glancing around, she pushed the door open.

It wasn't exactly bright inside, but contrary to many buildings the glow of both lamps and fire was warm and inviting, and the air smelled of cookies merrily baking. Sunset smiled widely and lowered her hood in spite of herself, and then stepped in deeper to approach the counter. A bright pink pony grinned at her from behind the counter.

"Hi there!" called the pink pony. "Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner! Everything's fresh from this morning and ready to eat!" She pointed into the display case. "These muffins are even still warm!"

"Um, hi," replied Sunset. "I'll be quick, I have somewhere I need to be. Do you have any honey oat cupcakes?"

"Yepperdoodle!" cheered the pony. "How many do you want?"

Sunset hmmed, then smiled, "How about two? I need to share with a friend."

"What's the occasion?" asked the shop keeper as she went about getting a box for the two cupcakes.

Sunset was caught off guard and replied as casually as she could. "Oh! It's, uh, it's my birthday."

The shop pony was right in front of Sunset with a speed and suddenness that almost scared her, and she spoke with wide, excited eyes. "A birthday!! Happy Birthday! My name's Pinkamena, but my friends call me Pinkie! And you know: I throw the best birthday parties in Equestria!" She then paused, and looked a little cowed, folding her ears as if she knew that she was overreacting. She offered the cupcake box with considerably more restraint. "Uh… do you think you might want one?"

Sunset accepted the box, and then shook her head slowly. "No… no, I'm sorry. I have to leave town and won't be here for it."

Not to mention half the Night Guard is probably still looking for me.

Pinkie looked a little startled, and then narrowed her eyes and stared deeply into Sunset's eyes. She held the gaze until Sunset began to get nervous and took a step backwards.

"You'd better be careful then," Pinkie said slowly, her voice sounding a little distant. Suddenly she seemed to snap back to her own self and beamed. "Aaaannnnndd, I need to give you a free piece of Cloud Cake to take with you!"

Sunset was too startled to react as Pinkie brought out a large cake and proceeded to cut a slice. "She couldn't possibly have heard that, could she?" she wondered. "Just a coincidence… it has to be…"

"Here you go!" sang Pinkie, as she pushed the extra box towards Sunset. "And when you're done, come back, okay?"

Sunset stored the cupcakes in her saddlebag, and accepted the new box, still a little hesitant. "Thank you," she said carefully. "How much do I owe you?"

Pinkie smiled. "It's your birthday," she replied. "It's on me!"

"Thank you again," repeated Sunset, much more sincerely this time. "Could I trouble you for the time?"

Pinkie glanced up at a back wall, "It's just about noon!"

Sunset's eyes narrowed into points. "Horse feathers! I have to go! Thank you!"

Pinkie waved a hoof excitedly, "Don't forget to come back and tell me all about it!"

Sunset stepped out into the street again, looking left and right. Inwardly she was cursing up a storm. She'd wasted too much time with the sports shop and then she had to come waste time at the bakery just for a cupcake. She had nearly burned all the time she'd bought for herself with her message.

She stored the cake under her cloak, magically securing it between her full saddlebags. She then ducked down a nearby alley and paused a moment to regroup.

It's all right. We still have at least two hours. We can be at the ruins in one. Just be cautious.

She tossed her head defiantly and flipped her hood up. "They haven't caught me yet," she reminded the shadows. "They aren't about to succeed today."

Still, as she navigated the village, she felt eyes upon her at every turn. She turned frequently and doubled back a few times, but she couldn't see anypony actually following her. Finally, she was at the edge of town. The eyes on her felt doubled now and she frowned, looking around the few buildings still lining the little path.

After a moment's thought she smirked and lit her horn, holding for a few seconds to build up power while she looked ahead. Then she cast, disappearing in a flash of light, and reappearing as deep into the forest as she could see. She quickly ran a few strides deeper, then turned into the dense brush at the side of the path and covered herself fully in her cloak, watching the path she came from.

It was only a few minutes before a blue pony came charging down the path, and she cursed inwardly. So somepony WAS following her. Still, she had a few moments to act and she had already been preparing the spell.

She cast again and this time the blue pony froze in mid-stride, tumbling forward and landing stiff as a board with a confused look on his face. She watched the path for a few more minutes, but no other pony followed.

She got up carefully and approached the pony to look him over. Her spell would keep him suspended for a while, long enough for her to disappear again, but she had to know who he was. He was a sky-blue pegasus, wearing flight goggles and a protective fabric headpiece. Her breath caught as she noticed he was lightly armored - a dark blue armor tagged with a turquoise crescent moon.

"Horse-apples!" she cursed. "It IS the Lunar Guard." She looked back along the path again. Compared to the dark of the forest, the distant opening of the path positively glowed, but no silhouette blocked the moonlight that filtered in there. She looked back at him again. Many thoughts went through her mind but she didn't know what to do. A more permanent spell would take a lot of magic and would certainly be traceable. Taking him with her was risky too and would all but admit guilt.

He might not have recognized you. There are any number of reasons to question a pony entering the Everfree Forest.

Sunset nodded and fretted for a few more minutes anyway. She looked deeper into the forest where the ruins still lay an hour away. Celestia would know what to do… there was probably time to get there and back, but…

She had an idea and smiled softly as she lit her horn again. She drew a piece of scroll and a quill and scribbled a short note, then pinned it to the pegasus' chest. "I hope you're just stupid," she said softly. She uttered a light laugh and turned back into the woods, beginning the hike to the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters.

PreviousChapters Next