• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 5,277 Views, 331 Comments

Night Reigns - tursi



Ten years after Nightmare Moon returns from her exile and plunges Equestria into Eternal Night, Celestia escapes from her solar prison. Weakened and alone, she needs to rebuild her strength. But how can she put things right?

  • ...
14
 331
 5,277

Chapters Next
Prologue

Dear Diary:

This is SO AWESOME! I GOT MY CUTIE MARK!!

I was in this race against a couple of older boys, and I totally whupped their tails! It was amazing! I passed one so fast he went into a spin and plowed right into the clouds! HAH! I've never gone that fast in my life! It was SUCH A RUSH!! And right there on the home stretch - BAM! Cutie Mark! Oh yeah!

I was going SO FAST, I bet I could Sonic Rainboom if I pushed just a little harder. Yeah, it's just a legend, but I'm LEGENDARY. That would be TOTALLY AWESOME!

-Dash


Dear Diary,

I made a new friend today. Well, at least I think she's my friend. I fell down during flight practice again and those bullies were picking on me when she dropped down and told them to stop. They were kind of loud but they ended up having a race for me which, well, I didn't ask them to, but I didn't want to say no. They were so excited that they forgot about me.

When the race started they were so fast that they accidentally knocked me off my cloud. I… um… I forgot I had wings again, and I fell so far. Oh, I was so scared! But I was caught by the most amazing creatures - a whole swarm of butterflies! I've never seen anything so lovely! I ended up in a little forest glen, all the way on the ground, and it was so full of cute and wonderful animals! Oh Diary, it was nothing like Cloudsdale! I spent the whole afternoon there! I'm going back just as soon as I can.

-Fluttershy


Dearest Diary,

My work on the costumes for the Picnic Paranoia play at school seems to have been well appreciated, despite my horn's best efforts to disrupt me. Unicorn magic can do the oddest things!

I was working away, trying to figure out how to make the costumes spectacular, when my horn suddenly erupted and started leading me outside and down the road. I say 'leading', but really, it was practically dragging me.

They say unicorn magic doesn't happen without a reason, so at first I was excited. But after dragging me halfway across Equestria, my horn deposited me in front of a giant boulder. That's right, Diary. A great. Big. Rock! That was supposed to be my destiny??

Despite the time lost, I was able to finish the costumes on time. As I noted, everypony liked them, but… they just weren't magical enough. I shall have to keep trying, but I will never be a fabulous fashionista if I can't rise above merely "very nice".

-Love, Rarity


Dear Diary,

Today we rotated the rocks on the west field.

-Pinkamena


Dear Diary,

I'M IN! I'm so excited! I was accepted to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns!

Most of the tests were easy, but I totally choked up when they brought out the last test. They brought out a DRAGON EGG! That was amazing in itself, but they wanted me to hatch it. I don't know anything about hatching eggs, let alone dragons! I really thought that I blew it, but, it turns out that was only a part of my final score. Since I aced everything else, I did well enough.

I'm officially in! I can't believe it! This is going to be so amazing! Their library is ENORMOUS!

-Twilight Sparkle


Dear Diary,

Auntie Orange is working real… I mean… very hard to turn me into a proper city lady. But I miss the farm so very much. I miss Big Macintosh and Granny Smith, and I wonder if I'm cut out to be a city pony at all. City life is so very complicated, and they don't understand very much about life outside the city. I miss having dirt under my hooves, instead of all this concrete (and don't get me started about how they respond if you're actually DIRTY).

I don't want to complain and it's not my thing to give up easy, so I'll keep trying. Maybe they'll let me visit the farm next month, and that will help the homesickness.

-Applejack

Dear Diary,

I think I may have found her, and not a moment too soon.

I know we have tried many times over the years, and there have been many false starts, but I have been watching a second year student, Sunset Shimmer, for several months now. She shows remarkable talent and skill with magic, and I sense that there is much more under the surface. Even her name gives me hope that she may be the bridge I need between Luna and myself.

I approached her, and she was ecstatic at the thought of working directly with me. Our first class has already gone well - she has a thirst for knowledge that I appreciate greatly. She is a little rough around the edges, but that confidence may serve her well. As she grows up she should fit in better with her peers, and I'll nudge her if I have to.

I no longer have the luxury of time - it's amazing to think that so much time has already elapsed. The signs are starting to appear, and I continue to check every night. I cannot activate the Elements of Harmony. I'm no longer sure that they can be re-activated. But Sunset may have to find the answers that I could not.

I promised you I would find a way, Sister. She is my best hope.

-Celestia


Dear Diary,

I'm now Princess Celestia's personal student! If that doesn't show that I'm the most amazing unicorn ever, nothing does! Maybe she's training me to be a princess too! Princess Sunset Shimmer. Yes, I think I like the sound of that. I'm finally getting what I deserve!

-Princess Sunset Shimmer

Chapters Next