• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,827 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,827

Not Your Cup of Tea

Author's Note:

Some of you may have been confused by how dumb the Main 5 seemed in the previous chapter. They aren't dumb. It's just that if you were one of them and someone told you that a person you knew wasn't the "right person", you'd naturally get confused. The girls haven't met and/or are aware of there being Shimmer and a human Twilight so they wouldn't automatically say "Oh that's got to be another version of them!"

Sure, they know such dimensional copies of them exist but they don't know that they exist in Pointeville or Canterlot[/i.] So naturally, they'd assume they were elsewhere. You, the reader, know what's really going down, unlike the characters.

ALSO!!! I've gone back and changed the format of the chapters a little. What I did was I went back and put section headers to tell you what point of view you'll be reading whenever it changes when this *** appears.

Enough of this! Read on!

Sunset woke up the next day feeling hungry, groggy, and unclean. She glanced down at the clothes she had fallen asleep in and grimaced. She was going to need to shower. The girl sat up and smacked her lips, frowning at the bad taste in her mouth. It had only been the second day of school yet she felt so tired that she dropped dead until the next morning. Well, learning always did make her feel tired after a while, considering all the long study sessions she had had with Princess Celestia years ago. Pulling all-nighters was what she did for the most part back then. Sunset hadn't changed much. She still stayed up crazy late because of one thing or another.

"I guess all the sleep I had been missing out on caught up with me," she mused. Sunset got out of bed and stretched. Only to get a charlie horse. She snapped wide awake and hopped up on the bed grasping the cramping leg. "Agh! Why?!"

Sunset gritted her teeth as she tried to keep herself from yelling out. She inhaled and slowly stretched her leg out only to snap it back from a sharp stabbing pain. Writhing in agony, it lasted about five minutes. Sunset laid on the bed feeling more exhausted than ever. "...Well that was fun."

***

Sunset arrived at Pointeville High on her raging bike. The loud guttural noise of her ride had woken her up and made her more attentive but not enough where she didn't need coffee. She killed the engine and grabbed her saddlebag and cup. Walking into the building she found herself surrounded by a sea of human teenagers. They were all rowdy and hyper like they all had a sugar rush on candy. The fiery headed one scowled; all the obnoxious liveliness of the students made her feel drowsier.

As quickly as she could through the crowd she made her way to class twenty minutes earlier than usual. Inside the room were a few students chatting idly with one another to pass the time. It was the first period of the day, English, and it was taught by a cool Mr. Peace Sign. It was a class Sunset looked forward to. The old hippy wasn't too hard on them like most teachers and let them do whatever they wanted for the most part. The most he ever had them do was write poems or read stories on world peace and free love. How this guy managed to work there for 15 years without getting fired for barely giving the standard amount of work out to students, grading it, and showing records of student work to his boss was beyond comprehension. Mr. Evermint was below his A game on that one.

Sunset sat down at her desk and glanced at Mr. Peace Sign, waving lazily at the students that came in and leaning back in his chair with his feet on the desk looking drowsy and high. Sunset was sure he didn't sleep well at night, or if not that, he drank a shot or two every morning. She heard red wine was good for your heart but she doubted it was red wine he was having. Listening to the quiet hum of conversation around her (and the hippie music playing from a radio on the teacher's desk), Sunset sipped her coffee and sighed. It was a great way to start off the school day. If she wanted to she could catch some winks and not even get in trouble. She could hurry up and cram in some last minute homework here or smash on some food. The limit of freedom was nonexistent.

Absorbed in her peaceful train of thought she sat there quietly; swishing hot coffee around in her mouth absentmindedly and enjoying her time doing nothing. Before long her time alone would be interrupted.

***

"Twilight, I don't know why you want me to interact with her after what she did," Shimmer said as the two walked through the hall to class. She took a sip from her thermos of tea before frowning at her friend.

Twilight tapped a pencil on her notepad. "What happened before has nothing to do with the present anymore. You two made amends. And now, I have a chance to study you both. All three of us have the same first period class, and with Mr. Peace Sign being as relaxed as he is, it's the perfect time to conduct this experiment!"

Shimmer frowned. Sometimes her friend wasn't very helpful to her when it came to science. No. Correction. She wasn't very helpful at all when science made its way into the picture. The nerd would be too into her studies to even acknowledge Shimmer's feelings about it all. The last time Twilight conducted an experiment, she nearly got blown to pieces. It was something about trying to replicate a magical source of energy coming from Canterlot High. Of course, then, when Twilight tried to do this, Shimmer had no idea about all this strangeness coming from there or what she even was trying to do, but the most important piece of info that she pulled from it was that this purple chick was a bit crazy.

"And here she is. Test subject Sunset Shimmer, or so she calls herself," Twilight remarked as they came into class.

She scribbled on her pad. Glancing at it, Shimmer shook her head. How in the world could anyone read the illegible chicken scratch called "handwriting" of Twilight Sparkle? She decided that it was a mystery she'd leave alone for the moment. There was a more pressing issue at hand and it involved herself.

Sunset was sitting at her desk paying no mind to the people around her. And funnily enough, the girl was drinking something just like she was. Twilight noticed this and nodded, writing something down. "Go on. Talk to her. I'll be right near you two."

Shimmer swallowed. Might as well get it over with. Twilight had been talking to her about it all last night and yesterday; so much so that if she didn't agree to her plan Shimmer was guaranteed to be harassed about it even more. With absolute dread, she made her way over to the duplicate of herself.

***

Sunset's Point of View

I could see her over the rim of my cup. Shimmer stood there looking as uncomfortable as ever. At least she wasn't glaring at me. Kind of. I swallowed all the coffee I wanted but kept the thermos to my lips to further prolong my silence and give me an excuse not to say anything. I wanted to hear what she had to say first before I engaged in conversation. From my past experiences with her, any time I said something first everything turned quite unpleasant and ultimately I was blamed for 'starting something'.

I could see she was growing impatient with my exaggerated sipping and she finally spoke. "So are we going to talk or are you going to pretend I'm not here."

I set my coffee down and replied slowly. "What's to talk about."

Shimmer sniffed. "First thing's first: Why did you want to become my friend all of a sudden?"

Her aggravated tone and hard expression did nothing to faze me. I was used to it. "I didn't want you to keep holding beef with me. You lost two friends. So to make up for it you got a new one. I guarantee you I'm a better buddy than those two unfaithful lowlifes."

Shimmer's face blushed intensely. I have to say...she looks rather cute being mad like that. I chuckled. Better keep that to myself. Unfortunately, the chuckle I had translated wrong and it didn't improve her mood. "Unfaithful lowlifes? You're lower than low, Sunset. And being faithful? The only thing you're faithful to is the devil."

I grimaced. That hit a little too close to home for me there. Devils and demons are somewhat in the same field. Them's fighting words but I'll let it pass for now. Beating myself up isn't going to help anything, double meaning intended.

"Hey, I know what I did was shitty, but can you let it go? I mean, they're still dating, those two peeps. I'm getting the impression that whether or not you confronted them about being friends again they'd still be lip locking, Shimmy. Just let it go."

"If 'letting it go' means that I have to have you as replacement for them, then no, I'm not going to let it go," Shimmer said defiantly.

Stubborn. Just like me. A bit dumb but stubborn. She doesn't realize how awesome a friend I can be. Princess Twilight's pals were all buddy-buddy with me. Sometimes. Besides, if Shimmer is me and I'm Shimmer, then it should be easy. Befriending yourself can't be a difficult task. Shimmer sat down at the desk in front of mine and turned around backwards in the seat to face me.

She set her thermos on my desk and sighed. "I don't know why I'm doing this..."

I put my cup down as well and frowned. "Well damn. Don't do 'this' then."

Shimmer shot me a look. "The only reason I'm talking to you is because Twilight is pretty much making me."

I raised an eyebrow. "Great to see that the human Twilight is also big on uniting people together as friends. Wow, the magic of friendship must be a destiny all Twilights have."

Shimmer looked at me like I was crazy. "She's making me interact with you for her research." She pointed behind me and sure enough, Twilight Sparkle, nerd of the nerds, was sitting in a corner feverishly writing things down and leaning forward in a way that anyone could tell she was eavesdropping on our conversation. Ok, maybe not all Twilights have friendship on their mind.

Instinctively, we both moved farther away, scooching the desk a bit to hopefully have more freedom of speech. Twilight was a surveillance system and we wanted to move out of her radius. I lowered my voice and spoke to Shimmer. "Clearly you have no interest in being friends so this bonding moment is up."

"What? You can't just decide that!" Shimmer whispered harshly. "I need you so Twilight can leave me alone about this experiment she's doing!"

"So you're doing this for selfish reasons."

"Well, no..."

"Right. I don't see how this is benefiting me. I'm open to be pals but you're not in it for that reason. Case closed," I said, smirking. To be honest, I wasn't interested in being friends, either. I just liked seeing Shimmer get all frustrated. Old habits die hard.

She groaned quietly and tapped her fingers on the desk. "Come on!"

"Sorry, kiddo. No cooperation here."

"Oh, but please!"

"Hmm? What's this? The girl who hates my guts is begging me to do a favor??"

Shimmer slapped the desk. "Look, right now I need you to just pretend that we're getting along so that Twilight will get off my back about it all."

I tapped a finger on my chin. "But isn't that what she wants? Progress? Why not pretend to hate each other?? Well, I know that's not hard on your end."

Shimmer threw her hands up. "Just...just...I don't know!" She jabbed a finger at me. "Do it or I'll make sure everyone knows you're a grade A monster! I'll-I'll spread rumors! And...and yeah! It'll be the, uh, the end of you!"

Shimmer was really bad at making threats and it was clear she really wasn't going to do these things. I shook my head. Deciding enough was enough, I agreed to be a pretend friend. "Alright, I'll do it. But you know you owe me for this."

The girl before me sighed gratefully and thanked me for my decision. I grinned at her, part of me laughing on the inside at making her go through all that. It's not everyday that you get to make your otherworldly self beg you. Now that all of that was over, we sat together quietly, just listening to the people around us. What had been a small exchange of slightly bitter words turned into a moment of comfortable silence. It was weird how the mood could change so abruptly, but then again, when you're in a room with an old hippie that seems to be the literal embodiment of peace, I'm sure any conflicts can be solved in a snap of your fingers.

I reached for my thermos and brought it to my lips. Shimmer did the same. But when I poured the contents into my mouth I found that it wasn't coffee...but tea. I swallowed the sweet liquid and raised an eyebrow. This wasn't my drink. Then that must mean it's--

"Bleck! Aw, gross!"

I put the thermos down to see Shimmer crinkle her nose in disgust and stick her tongue out. I guess my human version dislikes coffee. She pushed the drink toward me and motioned for me to give her hers. I smiled and gave it to her. With much enthusiasm, she drained all her tea down in a few gulps and gasped. Her flushed cheeks and goofy expression was enough to get me laughing. She glared at me at first but soon cracked a smile. Shimmer looked lovely when she smiled. But hey, she's me. Of course I'd look great.