• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,826 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,826

Lvl 3: Friends..?

Shimmer didn't know what made her do it but somehow it happened. She glanced behind her and saw Sunset working on her paper diligently. It was clear something was motivating her to write as fast as she did. She watched her work for a few seconds before turning back around...and finding Mr. Patters staring at her with a frown. Smiling sheepishly, she picked up her pencil and worked on the Geometry test. It wasn't anything difficult; just the basics.

13. Draw and label the following: coplanar segments intersecting at point T.

Without much thought, she drew, labelled it, and moved on to the next question. For a while her mind was set on working and completing the test. But her thoughts eventually went back to Sunset. It was weird: one day they were enemies and the next...friends? She sure didn't expect Sunset to make such a proposal. To be honest, Shimmer was expecting her to ask/force her to do some dirty work of hers. But friends..? She shook her head. That was the last thing she'd ever think she'd say.

No.

That wasn't even a thing she thought Sunset would ever say.

Maybe she's doing this to make up for the fact that I lost two friends because of her...Would she really? Sunset can't possibly have done a 180-degree turn around in just a day. No one could do that. But maybe she really did feel guilty about it? No. That's not right. There's got to be a reason why she wants to be friends. Yeah, that's it. She must be trying to embarrass her even more in some way. That's got to be it. Or if not to embarrass her, get something from her. Shimmer had made a really good reputation for herself with the teachers as an A+ student. Sunset might be trying to mooch off her and get good grades through impersonation!

The human sighed. It must be so...she couldn't think of any other reason. In that case, she must be cautious around her. She mustn't let her find out she knew her plan. Just be polite but distant. That's a good plan...

"Alright, test's over. Hand it in, young people. Quit your writing and pass it up," Mr. Patters said in his usual flat tone of annoyance.

Somebody needs to retire Shimmer thought as she gave her paper to the person in front of her. She collected the papers from the person behind her and glanced at the name.

Sunset Shimmer

Shimmer swallowed. Even her handwriting was the same. The elegant curl of the s and the small "tail" left on every letter...Before she could examine it further, a hand forcefully grabbed and snatched the papers out of her hand.

"First, I catch you looking back at people's papers and now you're looking at students' answers. What's next: You're going to sneak back in here after school and jot down what you saw to improve your test?" Mr. Patters scoffed and looked down at Shimmer incredulously. " I don't know what's gotten into you, Ms. Shimmer...you're the one I've had for years, right? Not the twin who just came here?"

Shamefully, she nodded which only resulted in the teacher looking bewildered.

"I'm sorry to say this but you're getting two letter grades off your score for a double offence of cheating." He shook the paper. "You better hope this is an A paper because the best you can get now is a C."

The class began to murmur in the presence of a new topic that was sure to lose their interest in a matter of seconds: that loss of interest being caused by a bell signalling the end of the second day of school. The students all got out of their chairs in a blink of an eye. Before Shimmer could even step out the classroom the PA came on.

"Sunset Shimmer, report to the office. Sunset Shimmer, report to the office."

She sighed and made her way there. This would be the first time in years that she had ever gotten anything below a B. She wasn't the absolute best student but no doubt she was near Valedictorian status. It would take a while for her to work her grade back up to an A because of that. His tests made up a large percentage of your grade and flunking one could mean barely passing. Great. She entered the office and was greeted by the fatherly Mr. Evermint, who smiled happily.

"Ah, Ms. Shimmer! Or rather Sunset. I have your itinerary ready for you. Take this. This is your new schedule for the rest of the semester."

"...New schedule?" Shimmer repeated. Before she could take it a hand snaked around her and took the paper. "I'll take that. Thank you very much, Mr. Evermint."

Mr. Evermint glanced at Shimmer and the person behind her and laughed. "Oh, my bad. I should have made it clearer about who I was calling to the office. Hahahaha! You two have a nice day now."

Shimmer stood there and sighed.

"Hey there, sister," Sunset said nicely from behind.

Shimmer turned around and walked right past her. "I'm not your sister."

Sunset watched her go and nodded to herself. She didn't expect her to welcome her with open arms but she was grateful that she accepted her as a friend. But then again, she probably only accepted because she promised to do a favor for her if she listened.

"Fine. I'll be your friend," Shimmer said quietly, "But your favor to me is to distance yourself. There's a such thing as friends from afar."

Sunset shrugged. At least she could feel normal for once. She guessed it would be nice to know how her human self is but now that the problem she caused was solved somehow she wasn't going to meddle in her life any longer. Sunset followed the crowd of students to the outdoors and smiled happily as she walked the steps of freedom straight out of the building. From a distance she could see a certain purple haired nerd skedaddle toward Shimmer and wave around a paper excitedly. Shimmer glanced at it and bit her lip. Sunset watched them as they walked away bent over the sheet Twilight had brought.

Sunset didn't have time to think what was on the paper when the feeling of longing came to here. Her bed was calling to her in desperate cries and she wasn't going to ignore it.


"The proof is right there! This is true!" Twilight cried, "It's astonishing! How can this be?? You can't even deny it."

Shimmer frowned at the words. Her eyes ran over them over and over again. The letters registered in her head but at the same time they didn't.

"Shimmer, Sunset is you! She is literally you! This whole time we were just avoiding the fact of it being possible when it is 100% true!"

"Twilight, we weren't avoiding it at all. We already knew this. It's just now we have the DNA results to solidify what we were aware of," Shimmer told her, " So you decided to get a piece of her hair? How did you get mine?"

"I collected some from your shawl."

"You mean the one I wore to the Spring Fling??"

"Yes."

"How did you keep that tiny hair for that long?!"

Twilight smiled. "I put it in a test tube that was placed inside a case tucked under my bed."

Why was she not surprised. The human clone sighed. "So we're the same person. Now what."

"Now, I'm going to find out why the two of you can be the same person but be completely different in personality! Sunset won't tell me anything about Canterlot's occurrences so the best way to get it out of her is to have herself be told! So, naturally, I'm going to be conducting more experiments." Twilight grinned from ear to ear. "Expect to see each other often, Shimmer. you two are going to be spending some quality time together!"

"WHAT?! Where do I get a say in this??" Shimmer yelled out loud. But the nerd was already too lost in thought about her next set of tests to even hear her. Why was the universe constantly trying to throw her otherworldly double at her? Why?? She only wanted a day in which she wasn't bothered by her. But, of course, Sunset attends her school now so the chances of that are nearly impossible.

Author's Note:

Just a chapter I thought to give you guys since I was writing today.