• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,810 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,810

A Faulty Plan

All that could be heard was the sound of pencils scratching paper. It was 7th period, the last one of the school day, and the students finally stopped questioning Sunset about everything from Shimmer not mentioning her to asking about her favorite color due to being within feet of a strict teacher. Right now, they were in the middle of copying down a set of pre-made notes for an upcoming Geometry test.

"I decided to give you some pointers on a few of the things you should study for the test. Now keep in mind that these notes aren't all of what you're going to get on the quiz so you better make sure you go over everything you've learned in the unit," Mr. Patters said. "Ms. Sunset..."

Sunset looked up and felt the eyes of the other students on her.

"I advise you to take notes from someone reliable like Ms. Sparkle. The test will be next week and I won't be accepting the excuse of your transfer as a factor of your not doing well on the quiz."

She nodded and looked back down at her paper. The noise of the pencils coming in contact with their paper resumed. But as time went by, Sunset became increasingly aware of a person staring at the back of her head. It was the same burning feeling she had felt when under pressure by those at Canterlot High... Without having to look back, she knew who it was that kept their gaze. Sunset swallowed uncomfortably and tried to focus on her work...but you can't ignore something that bothers you deeply.

She had transferred to escape that feeling. She no longer wanted to be watched and monitored like a criminal. But Sunset had already made an enemy at the school before her first day. Of course she did. She glared at the words she had written down. She was Sunset Shimmer: Demon and Destroyer of Friendships. Why wouldn't she make things harder for herself? Looking back slowly, her eyes met the same blue-green orbs she had seen all her life in mirrors. Shimmer stared dead at her before averting her gaze and getting back to work. Sunset swallowed hard.

She didn't understand why her other self was being so hostile. She had apologized to Double Diamond and Sugar Belle like she was asked to...well, told to. That was the only thing she had to correct. Yes, there was a huge misunderstanding that turned badly. But they were all cool again, right? The hate was recognized to be targeted toward her and not Shimmer so it should be fine between them...But if that was so, why was the death glare she was getting so intense...

Sunset sighed inwardly. She shouldn't even be bothered by it. Her one task had been fulfilled and so there was nothing to do about what was to come after that. She was out of their hair.

Unless...

Realizing how naive she was being, she groaned and slammed her head on her desk.

Dumbass! The reason why she's been giving you the death glare was because of my nosy self! If I hadn't butted into Double Diamond and Sugar Belle's relationship and found the reason why they were together, they would be friends right now. Or at least, there would be a chance.

Sunset groaned for the second time. Great. Now everything between them would be terribly awkward and their friendship became something of the past. And the funny thing is that she just told her human counterpart she was naive that night of the Spring Fling. Looks like that wasn't a lie.

"Ahem."

Sunset lifted her head off the desk and saw that everyone in the classroom was looking at her. Mr. Patters titled his head quizzically.

"Is there some kind of difficulty I'm not aware of that makes it hard to copy down some notes...Ms. Sunset?"

"Uh..." Sunset looked at him sheepishly and rubbed her forehead. "No, Mr. Patters. I apologize."

He cleared his throat and crossed his arms.

"Alright then. Resume your work."

Sunset did as she was told and worked feverishly, trying to ignore the uncomfortable feeling she had.

***

Twilight and Shimmer were walking down the street away from Pointeville High. Cradling books in the crook of her arm, Twilight glanced at her friend. Shimmer wasn't in the best of moods. She glared down at the sidewalk and clutched the straps that held her guitar case on her back tightly. If Twilight listened carefully, she could hear the grinding of teeth coming from the girl's closed mouth. Sighing, she looked at her surroundings.

The sky was a bit cloudy but not in a way where it blocked the sunlight. The air was still; there was no breeze. It wasn't hot out and it wasn't cool. Just right. Across the street were some boys that were laughing it up. One of them had tripped over the uneven sidewalk and joined in on the chuckles directed toward his own misfortune. Twilight watched them feeling no sense of giddiness. What was funny about that? He could have scraped himself, making an entryway for germs and bacteria to invade his bloodstream. If he did not treat the scrape or cut soon, he would have an infection. Nothing was so amusing about that. The nerd frowned and kept on walking beside her angry friend.

Speaking of her angry friend...

Twilight tapped her chin thoughtfully. She hadn't seen this coming. Not by a long shot. The other-worldly being a.k.a. Shimmer's other half a.k.a. Twin sister a.k.a. Sunset was attending Pointeville High. She was going to the same school as her and her lookalike! The thought of it excited Twilight. Now she could conduct experiments in person! She didn't have to rely on others for information or have to go snooping around incognito. Twilight smiled. The list of experiments she had planned to direct toward Shimmer instead of Sunset, since she was genetically the same person, would be aimed at the correct being now! She couldn't wait to get hair samples, saliva samples, and maybe even a few drops of blood to examine! She'd have to be quick about that one, Twilight decided. Sunset wasn't someone who would let others freely take any DNA tidbits.

A loud crack and a quick rustle of leaves snapped the purple one out of her thoughts. She turned her head around and saw no one. Just a broken twig on the sidewalk that had recently been stepped on. She narrowed her eyes before shrugging. She must've stepped on it while in her thoughts and scared some squirrels or birds that either scrambled into that particularly large bush or had flown out of it and gone elsewhere. No big whoop. Shimmer didn't seem to notice; she was too busy moping. Continuing their walk, the two of them silently went about their way.

***

Sunset's Point of View

"Damn twig..."

There was always that one stupid piece of tree lying on the ground just waiting for someone to step on it and get caught while in the midst of following people. Always! I growled and glared at the thing from my safe spot behind this randomly large bush. Really. A twig! This is the kind of thing you see in movies. After a few seconds, I peeked from behind the green vegetation to see that human Twilight and human me had just turned the corner onto Withers Road. With haste, I got from behind the bush, kicked at the stupid twig, and rushed to the corner. Slowly, I looked around to see where they were. The two of them were just a few feet away, unsuspecting, and walking.

It may seem a bit confusing as to why I'm creeping around trying to follow those two but to me it's perfectly clear. First off, I need notes from Twilight so I don't fail this test Mr. Patters is going to give. He's such an asshole. Most teachers would at least give me a day to catch up but this guy must have on boxers three sizes too small. And secondly, I need to talk to Shimmer. I can't continue at this school if even one person is looking at me from the side of their eye. I had to put up with it for eight months and I wasn't going to let that start up all over again.

It was another five minutes before the girls came to a house and went inside. Quickly, I copied the address and started on my run back to the school. As much as I would've liked to, I would've followed them on my bike. But that baby makes a lot of noise. It's a motorcycle, you know. My targets would've caught me in the act of stalkery a long time ago. I huffed as my feet hit the ground with each step. Boots were not the best thing to wear when running. And following them could have been a bad idea. There are a few things that weren't solid about my plan to tackle two things at once.

1. The house they went into could've been a long way from the school.

2. One or both of them might have taken the bus while I was following, meaning I'd have to get on a disgusting bus and with my hair being as colorful as it is, I'd be seen for sure.

3. If only one person got on the bus and the other didn't or they split ways, I'd have to choose who to follow.

4. That might not even be a home at all! It could be a home-turned-store for all I know.

5. While I go back to get my bike, they might leave.

6. Seeing how Shimmer dislikes me, I might not be able to talk to her.

All these things ran through my mind and I sighed. I just hope none of that happens. After a tiring run, I was grateful to jump on my Harley Davidson and drive to the address. By the time I got there, it was somewhat late. It was getting dark out. Parking the bike on the street, I hurriedly grabbed my saddlebag and dashed up the steps. I curled my fingers so they pressed against my palm, making a fist in the process. I swallowed hard. This may or may not go well. Whichever way it turned out, I needed to accomplish my goals. Even if it was only one day that I felt the burning glare of my other half, I needed to get her to stop. I couldn't take it anymore, the feeling of being on the hot seat. That's why I transferred.

My knuckles hit the door three times. From inside I could hear people talking, it all being muffled by the slab of wood that separated the outside world from the comfort of home. I held my breath when I saw the doorknob turn.

Here goes nothing.

Author's Note:

So Shaud, the author whose story inspired me to write this fic, came up with the shipping name for Sunset and Shimmer...and what is it?

SUMMER!!!!

I feel really stupid for not seeing that shipping name until they said it. :derpytongue2: Well, ALL HAIL SUMMER! And I do mean the ship and the time of year. Summer means no school! And hurray for the US! Gay Marriage is now legal as of June 26, 2015! A victory for a long time rejected people of society. OctaScratch, LyraBon, Sunlight, and of course, Summer(even if they aren't a couple yet) are rejoicing!

P.S. If you are someone who does not agree with the recent change for those who are not straight, I apologize if this has upset you. I acknowledge your view on the matter and respect it despite my differing view.

Also, I meant to make this longer and get it done a lot sooner but I was dead for a while.