• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,836 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,836

Subtle Hints That Weren't Taken

Pulling into the student parking lot, Sunset found a spot and killed the engine of her flaming Harley Davidson. With a tug, she yanked off her helmet and took in a deep breath of fresh air. Since her helmet had no air circulation with the visor down to block the blinding wind, she was more than glad to take it off. With care, she used her fingers to separate the red from the yellow strands in her hair. She didn't want to walk in with 'Helmet Hair'. When satisfied, she looked up at the new school she was to attend. She'd finally be able to get away from all the people who've despised her very being. There wouldn't be a single thought of judgement against her. No longer would she feel a burning sensation of hatred hot on her skin from the angry eyes of others.

Swiftly, Sunset got off her bike and made her way into the school with her saddlebag. Opening the double doors she saw that there was an office to her left. She promptly went in. Sitting at a desk was an old lady with curly white hair and half moon spectacles. She had light orange skin and rosy cheeks. Her skin wrinkled and sagged under her chin, but she still looked fairly decent for her age. The older woman looked up and smiled at her warmly. Sunset returned it.

"Why, you're here a good thirty minutes early! Is there something I can help you with, dear?"

Sunset reached into her saddlebag and handed her her record.

"I'm supposed to be transferring here from Canterlot High."

Taking it, the lady smiled wider.

"So you're the transfer student Canterlot's principal was talking about. We were expecting you two weeks from now!" She tutted her tongue. "Oh, you poor baby! You wanted to leave so quickly! Well, this school is the right place for you."

Sunset opened her mouth and shut it in surprise. This woman was pitying her for something she didn't even tell her! The girl squinted her eyes and bit her lip. The lady clearly didn't know the extent of damage she caused at Canterlot High; if she did there would be no way she'd be talking to her with that sweet grandma voice. She just said Celestia was talking about her. Sunset would have to make sure none of her actions from Canterlot were spread by rumors over here...

"Poor ba--What exactly was said about me...if it's alright to ask?"

The woman opened the file and typed away at her keyboard.

"Oh, nothing bad, sweetie. The principal from your school just told us that you had a hard time fitting in and it would be best you come here to start anew. If you'd like, you can sit over there."

She pointed to three chairs next to an office bulletin board and some file cabinets. Sunset drifted over and looked at the board. It was overcrowded with notices and flyers, some she could see were from months before.

Picture Day! Wear your Sunday Best!

Lose anything? Go to the Main Office and ask to search through the Lost and Found.

Students, please remember to bring extra clothes for P.E.! This is a mandatory notice due to complaints of questionable hygiene, especially from the boys.

Sunset smirked at the last one she read. No surprise there. Glancing around, she read the rest. Ten minutes passed and she looked at the old lady hard at work. Her face looked a bit perplexed. When she noticed her watching she smiled and said," This'll take a while, dear. Hope you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all," Sunset said sweetly.

This made the lady's smile widen.

"Such a patient young lady. Reminds me of my own granddaughter."

Sunset turned around and rolled her eyes. She bet a lot of students reminded her of her granddaughter. It was one of those cliche old people phrases. Turning her head to the file cabinet, she spied trophies crammed on top of it. Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Chess...Most of them were 1st and 2nd place. On the wall behind the cabinet were plaques saying things like A-rated School 2012 and Academic Standard School 2014.

From what she could tell, this place got high reviews from the school district. From behind her, she could hear the secretary get up and walk into an inner office. Sunset paid no mind to it because right at that moment the main wave of students were coming in to school. From where she was by the chairs, which was a blind spot to all those walking in, she could observe the teenagers without them noticing her. She wondered who would be in her class. Which one of them that she was seeing pass by would be nice to her? Who would be her friend? Who would be her acquaintance? Who would be that person she barely knows?

Questions swirled around in her head as she watched them, these new people. After a while, the woman came back with a tall man with green hair that reminded Sunset of spearmint gum. He towered over the computer screen and frowned. The two whispered to one another before looking her way.

"Ms. Shimmer, I presume?" the man said in a fatherly way.

The bacon-haired one nodded and tilted her head.

"Yes?"

The man motioned for her to come to them. When she did, he turned the monitor of the computer so she could see it.

"Ms. Shimmer, it seems you have been enrolled here for two years. Uh...have you or your parents talked about enrollment here in the past?"

Sunset stared at the screen and noticed a picture of Shimmer. Her eyes were glowing with excitement and her cheeks were flushed(probably from smiling very hard). The way she had one shoulder pressed against her cheek made her look...cute. Sunset smiled. She had always thought herself to be attractive, but she never achieved looking as happy as her other self did in the picture. It was something to marvel at. Sunset turned her gaze to the secretary and man.

"I have a twin sister who goes here. That's her. We go by the same name."

Both adults looked at each other in silence, not sure if that made any sense. But it must since a principal from another school talked to them and the 'Sunset Shimmer' who went to that school was still there; her latest report card being from just a week ago and grades having been updated on Friday...The man glanced at Sunset's record and frowned. Making a quick call to Celestia, it was confirmed that the girl in the office had just been released from Canterlot High that very day. The secretary checked both the girls' permanent records and saw that they were very different.

"It seems as though you only just started school two years ago, sweetie. That can't be right...And this other girl has been going to school all the appropriate years."

"I was home schooled up until then," Sunset lied.

"Ah," both the woman and man hummed.

The man held his hand out and smiled.

"I'm Principal Evermint! Nice to meet you, Ms. Shimmer."

She shook his hand and he went around the table. He walked out the office and Sunset followed.

"Well, this is quite something! For two people who happen to be twins are named the same name...Usually they'd have similar names, but not the same," Evermint said. This'll sure make arranging files for the two of them very difficult.

Sunset nodded in agreement to his statement.

"Because we have the same names, we both chose either to be called by our last name or fist name: I'm Sunset and my sister's Shimmer."

Evermint chuckled.

"Oh, how clever! That'll definitely clear up some confusion. But since you two look the same, who will know who's who if you don't have name tags?"

"We have different styles of dress and our personalities aren't at all the same. People will be able to tell without having to think about!" Sunset told him cheerfully.

Principal Evermint grinned. At least, in person they won't be seen as the same, but on file... He sighed inwardly. Hopefully, no one will get their grades mixed up in the system; they'd have to be very careful of that...He stopped in front of a classroom door and looked inside. Glancing over his shoulder, he said," We didn't want you to be stuck in the office all day as we processed your record into the school system so we decided to put you in a class temporarily until you get your itinerary. We'll call you to the office when everything's sorted."

Sunset nodded. Evermint turned to the door and knocked once, twice before entering.

***

Shimmer's Point of View

"The Reign of King Henry VIII is considered to be one of the darkest times in European His--"

Knock! Knock!

Mrs. Ford stopped talking and glanced at the door, as did all of us. I couldn't exactly see who was outside but whoever it was, they were important; Ms. Ford quickly opened the door and stepped outside, having cleared her throat and brushed invisible dust off her shirt. I twirled my pencil around a lock of red hair and sighed. History had been a slight distraction for me, but my mind still hung on to that night during the Spring Fling.

I could still see Sunset walking away from Double Diamond, Sugar Belle, and I. I stood there frozen from the truth of what had become of a friendship I wanted back. I didn't know when but my former friends had left me there alone. Standing there, suddenly feeling cold in the night air, I cried. After that everything was blurry, quite literally and figuratively. I don't remember where I was going. I was just walking away...away from that place...

And now I'm back for school as if nothing happened.

Twilight and her sister-in-law Cadence were shocked to find me walking through the streets. I was lucky to be found by them. Anything could have happened. I vaguely remember Cadence giving me a stern talking to, but I was too out of it to comprehend. Who knew this would turn out the way it did? My friends creating a relationship built on hate for me with the result of love for one another. And Sunset just left as though it had nothing to do with her! It was all her fault!

Angrily, I chewed my hair, fuming in my thoughts. The door opened and Mrs. Ford came in with Principal Evermint.

"Class, I would like to introduce a new student to you! Please welcome, um, Sunset Shimmer!"

The class paused and they all looked at me in confusion. I stared at the door. Sunset Shimmer? But that's me and I'm definitely not new here and Mrs. Ford knows that. There's no way she'd be joking around, I'm sure. Not in front of her boss. Unless...My eyes widened as my mind suddenly recalled an earlier, insignificant conversation Sunset and I had. I gritted my teeth. No...It couldn't be...that time right before we left the dance at Canterlot High, right before the chase...

"Where would your friends be, by the way?" Sunset asked.

"They would be at the Spring Fling dance in Pointeville High," she told her.

Sunset raised an eyebrow.

"...Pointeville??"

"Yes."

"..."

Shimmer glanced back at her. Sunset didn't look too thrilled about it.

"Is there something wrong?"

"Oh...no...it's just that..."

Before she finished her sentence she waved a hand at her.

"Forget it. Take me there and we'll settle this."

*Excerpt from the Chapter Lvl. 2: Operation Double Trouble*

But surely that didn't mean anything...did it? As I raked my brain to prove against what I thought was happening, I inevitably found proof that said otherwise. While Sunset and I were running from that girl and Twilight, my double had said something that I didn't think about for a second.

"I transferred, dumbass!"

*Excerpt from the chapter Captured by a Ruffian*

Principal Evermint looked at whoever was outside the classroom and smiled.

"Hey, look, your sister's in here!"

SISTER...

I froze, my eyes wide in shock. A black boot with purple flames spiraling up to the top of the footwear stepped in.

No...

An orange skirt with stripes became visible as well as a black sleeve. A leather jacket sleeve.

NO...

Turquoise eyes full of quiet wonderment and questions came into view. They looked over everything in the room, ignoring the surprised looks on the faces of students. Her light orange skin had a youthful glow to it that older women would envy silently, having lost it all due to age. Her mouth was curled up in a slight smirk that could rival that of Cheshire the cat's. Her red and yellow hair was parted down the middle, her long hair easily swept to the side behind her ears...A mirror reflection.

One that, instead of admiring, I'd love to break into hundreds of pieces.

Author's Note:

So last chapter, you were challenged to find out the reason why that chapter was named it's name: The Humans, the Demon, and The Bat. The time has come to explain why. In the comments, I had given a hint to someone saying that you have to look at the characters' true self/being/classification.

Looking at the title, you'll see The Humans. Who are humans? Shimmer, Twilight, Trixie, etc. Then you see The Demon. Well, the only demon in the story is Sunset. And lastly, The Bat. This one can be a tricky one. For those of you familiar with a children's book called Stella Luna(WINK WINK) you may see why I added that in the title.

The person who won a follow: toastman


If, in this story, Sunset were to have a theme, I think it would be this: