• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 12,836 Views, 985 Comments

You Can't Help Who You Love - Feather Flyer



What's the use? No one wants to accept her as a new person. She tried the best she could to show the others that she's changed, but nothing's working. She can't blame them: who would believe her anyway? That is, anyone other than herself?

  • ...
59
 985
 12,836

General Vagueness

Sunset sighed and filled out some papers while sitting in the corner of the classroom. It was the day of the Spring Fling and people were giving her their nastiest, most disgusted faces that didn't hide the hatred they had for her. She only shrugged at them and kept on working. After a while, you become insensitive to the looks people give you. But every once in a while somebody would say something really cruel and all the hurt that she was supposed to have felt from the burning stares of the other students came at her full force. A tidal wave that swept you up into its arms and carried you into a dark place that was unfamiliar and full of frightening things, all the while your lungs struggling to breath.

That's exactly what it felt like. Her lungs would feel as though a huge pressure were weighing down on them and forcing her to be breathless...speechless. Sunset carefully wrote in cursive the name 'Autumn Fall', making sure it looked different from her own handwriting, on the paper. She looped the letters delicately and made it look as perfect as she could. She then wrote 'Solar Flare' in her most carefree manner, darkening it with the force of her hand upon the pen.

She smiled sadly at the two names she had written on the paper. A bittersweet feeling rose from her chest. Sunset quickly wiped her eyes before tears could fall. Memories flooded her mind. She remembered back when she was an innocent filly, with no counts of wrong against her, she used to play with a big orange unicorn. His shoulders were strong and tough, his head full of rich red curls that laid this way and that. He had a stubbly chin of red hair and dark green eyes that would glow as he smiled and laughed and played with her. Sunset could almost hear his hearty laugh ring in her ears and the sweet, loving words he would say happily afterward.

"You're shimmering, my darling."

Her father...Solar Flare. He had been a royal Canterlot guard when she was last in Equestria. Captain of the Royal Guard actually. Sunset guessed he probably retired from the position by now; he would be in his early to mid 40's. He was always smiling and laughing. The girl had never seen him without a smile on his face. Sunset remembered him carrying her on his back and running around like a maniac and they'd scream and yell and shout all day. The two of them would roll down hills like silly foals without a care in the world.

Sunset would race her father and they'd gallop across the grass. The fiery-headed filly didn't know this then, but Solar Flare always ran slower so she'd win every time. And when she was the winner, she would turn to face him and say, "I beat the bestest guard in Equestria! I beat daddy! I beat daddy!"

Solar Flare would laugh and reply," You sure did, my little filly! With speed like that you could catch all the bad ponies in this whole country!"

Sunset had to smile at the irony. She closed her eyes and sighed. The sun warming their faces, the slight breeze relieving them of the heat, the green fields...

It seemed like such a long time ago. And her mother, Autumn Fall, was beautiful. Her lovely blue eyes shined in the sunlight. Her neatly groomed coat of pale yellow was soft to the touch. Her silky brown mane that billowed out from the sides of her face...This was Autumn Fall, the most beautiful mare in all of Canterlot. Sunset had always thought her mother looked better, even, than Celestia. The little filly had been proud to have such a gorgeous mother.

Autumn Fall was a teacher who taught Magic Kindergarten. She lived a simple life, full of happiness and few complications. Sunset always loved to hear her mother sing. Her voice was like an angel's, reaching up high into the heavens and warming the hearts of all those around her. Sunset longed for those blissful days with her mother and father. She had been innocent of everything she's ever done then. Nothing bad could ruin her...

Sunset got up and rubbed her eyes making sure no one saw the forming tears. She didn't need something else for people to harass her about. She walked briskly across the room and asked Mr. Noteworthy for a pass to the restroom.

"Go ahead," he mumbled.

The fiery-headed girl rushed out the classroom and instead of heading toward the restroom like she asked, she made her way to the Main Office. It was about time. It was about time she filled out these papers. How she managed to stay there at Canterlot High was beyond her level of understanding. All she knew now was that once she gave the office her papers, she'd be free of this place.

No more teasing, no more glares, no vulgar language toward her, no nothing. Sunset would be released from that torment she had faced for five months. Sunset could only guess that it was her love of learning and her past determination to set things right at CHS that made her stay as long as she did. Well, to hell with the latter. That fueled energy to change her self image was gone now. All this girl wanted to do was get away and do what she loved most: Learn.

Sunset stepped through the doorway into the office and glanced around. The secretary she knew had seen her, but the woman was too busy pretending she hadn't noticed her to even say a word. Fuck that bitch. She'd make her notice her. It's not like she'd be there the next day anyway so what did it matter if she left a nasty last impression at this school? Sunset didn't care. The teenager knocked on the desk and looked directly at her.

"Hey, lady. I got papers I want to give you. Take them."

The secretary glared at her over her glasses.

"Set them on my desk. Please."

Sunset dropped them carelessly on the edge of the designated space and turned quickly on her heels to leave. The secretary sniffed disdainfully and snatched the papers Sunset had left. When she looked at them her eyes widened and a big smile came across her face.

"Well, that just made my day!"

"What made your day?"

The secretary turned to see Principal Celestia standing behind her frowning. The woman blushed and sputtered.

"P-P-Principal Celestia! Why I-I uh, you see...a certain student of ours...she, um--"

Her boss calmly took the papers from her hand and skimmed through it. A sad frown appeared and a line creased her forehead.

"...So she doesn't want to be here. She could've changed her image..."

She sighed and looked to the window.

"...Sunset Shimmer decided on that I see..."

Author's Note:


Look, it's Sunset and her parents! Drew them myself. You can find me at
FeatherFlyerFIM. Also, tomorrow, I'll be off on a class trip; unfortunate for you those who love this here story of mine. I'll be gone from May 18-20th and then I'll be super tired on the 21st so the next chapter will more than likely be out by the...22nd? I hope to release it sooner. Well, wish me a happy time on the trip and I'll try to get a chapter done pretty soon!