• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 5,772 Views, 188 Comments

Of Magic and Machines - FrostTheWolf



[Displaced Story] A young girl wakes up in a world she only thought was a fantasy. Only to realize that there's a lot more to it then she thinks.

  • ...
22
 188
 5,772

Log 9- Hunter X Rune Slayer

Of Magic and Machines- Hunter X Rune Slayer


Perspective: Gon


Fluttershy and I were heading to a pond just outside the outskirts of Ponyville. The morning was nice and beautiful, and Fluttershy had suggested that I should go fishing for breakfast, because she thought that getting meat for me was vitally important.

I really was starting to like Fluttershy, she was so kind and generous, and that was something hard to find back in my world. The walk to the pond was quite and we didn’t really talk to eachother. We just enjoyed the scenery, and the chirping of the morning birds. After a couple of more minutes of walking in peace, we came across the pond Fluttershy had told me about.

The yellow Pegasus spoke up. “This is it.” She then pointed her right hoof at the pond. The pond looked lovely, with ducks and swans swimming in it, comfortable looking sandy banks, and beautiful flowers surrounding the pond.

I responded to her with awe over the sight of the pond. “It looks beautiful. I can’t wait to start fishing.” She smiled at me, and we then proceeded to find a place to rest, and then I casted my fishing line into the pond. It was relaxing, just peace and quiet as we waited to get a bite. I never really fished in my world, but right now I am wishing I did, because It is so relaxing and enjoyable.

It was about ten minutes before Fluttershy spoke up. “It doesn’t look like their biting, does it?”

“No, not really. Though it is relaxing just sitting here.” She nodded in agreement. It was about another ten minutes before I notice my bobber go under the water. I then felt a tug at my fishing rod, and I knew then that I had a bite. I knew that in this new body of mine, that I had increased strength. How much, I do not know. All I know is that I pulled with all my strength to get the fish. What came out though was something completely different from what I was expecting.

It was another human, he had red hair, Dark red coat, black pants and undershirt with a sword at his side. “What the! Is that another human?” is all I could mutter out as he was sent into the air by the force of my pull on my fishing pole. He soared through the sky, until he hit a tree about fifteen feet behind us. Fluttershy let out a gasp, and I heard him groan in pain as he slid from the tree, down to the ground.. “We better go help him out.” I said to Fluttershy before I went running over to the mysterious man. Fluttershy soon followed behind me.

When we got there, we were greeted by the groans of pain from the poor guy. “Are you alright mister?” the yellow Pegasus said to the red haired man.


Five minutes earlier…

Moments after going through a mysterious semi-solid painting that had a hook piercing through it, Nicko found himself at the bottom of a lake. Of course, the painting showed fish, algae, and what not; but he honestly thought that he would end up on a sandy beach, not physically in a body of water. Eris thought the same thing as well.

But before they could assess their current situation or before Eris could even cast a spell to allow them to breath underwater, something snagged at Nicko’s coat. Something strong enough to start pulling him upward at a faster pace.

‘Aww crap-!!”

Violently, the Rune Slayer was yanked to the surface and sent flying, only for him to collide in a tree a few seconds later. Just his luck…

“Oww… Son of a taint, that hurt.” Nicko moaned a little as he heard the sound of hooves and feet coming towards-. Wait… Feet?

“Are you alright, Mister?”

The voice was familiar to Nicko. In fact, it was a lot like Fluttershy’s. Turning around, the Rune Slayer was surprised to see that it was her…Well, this world's version of her. She wasn’t Anthropomorphic like the pegasus he knew and was on all four hooves like an actual Pony… which was quite small for someone his height. Motioning up and turning around, he looked at both the Pony and the human next to him… That was holding the fishing pole that had his coat on it.

“Y-yeah… Just… Can I have my coat back please? It’s on the end of your fishing line.”

Gon went over to the Rune Slayer, and unhooked the line from Nicko’s coat. “Sorry about that, I didn’t know any humans would be in the pond.”

Now that caught Nicko’s attention immediately. It was just his luck. First there was Bryce, then there was Amaterasu and Chibiterasu and now; this kid was meeting a Displaced for the first time. Three in a row… If this were a game of bowling, he would’ve gotten three strikes or what he would call a Turkey.

“It’s alright. Mistakes happen. Honestly, I didn’t think I would be fished out of the water like that. I’m Nicko. What’s your name?” He asked the boy, calmly since he could tell that he was young.

The boy smiled happily and replied to the Rune Slayer. “My names Gon Freecss, and.” he looked over at Fluttershy. “This here is my friend Fluttershy.”


“Nice to meet the two of you. I’m sorry if I caused you guys any trouble. It’s unintentional, really.”

The yellow Pegasus quickly spoke up. “Oh, don’t worry. It’s no problem at all.” She smiled at Nicko.

“That’s good to hear.” Nicko sighed, relieved while he scratched the back of his head. “That isn’t the first time that something awkward has happened like that on my travels.”

Gon said excitedly. “Travels? Oh please tell me where you're going, and where you have been.”

“Well, it’s not quite that simple to explain-.”

“I can handle it, just please tell me.” Gon’s eyes seemed to be beaming with excitement

“Are you sure? It might not be so easy to explain to someone as young as you-.”

Gon now went up to the Rune Slayer, and raised his voice a little. “It doesn’t matter my age, I can take it. Now please. I want to hear about it so bad.” Fluttershy just stood quiet on the sidelines.

Nicko sighed to himself. “Okay… but you may get confused. After all, I don’t exactly travel to different continents or countries.”

“What do you mean?” Gon tilted his head in question.

“I’m a Dimensionally Misplaced. Or Displaced for short. Which means I travel to other Dimensions. Other versions of Equestria.”

You could hear Fluttershy’s quiet gasp before Gon spoke up again. “Wait… Since I’m originally from Earth…” Gon put two and two together in his head. “Then that means I’m this Displaced thing you’re talking about! And...You’re also from Earth. Oh my God I’m not alone!” Gon went up to Nicko and gave him a huge hug.

“Wow… You catch on quickly.” was the Rune Slayer’s only response as he returned Gon’s hug with one of his own.

After moment Gon finally released his hug around Nicko. “Do you happen to know how to get back to Earth?”

Nicko shook his head. “Unfortunately I don’t. Back where I am, my Twilight Sparkle is trying to figure that out. My personal story about my travels though is quite a long story… Give or take the seven years I got imprisoned in Stone to protect my brother against a psycho maniac hellbent on destruction.”

Gon sighed in disappointment. “Well, it was worth a shot. I asked about returning home, because I left my brother behind after this strange Merchant gave me this fishing pole.” Gon held out his fishing pole. “It’s from the anime Hunter X Hunter, and it’s what I needed to make my cosplay perfect. Unfortunately it must have been enchanted or something, because I blacked out soon after. Now here I am.”

“Well, I don’t personally know anything about this merchant you’re referring to, but I know what you mean. Met a few others who told me the same thing. As for me, I’m a Rune Slayer. It’s a Job Class from the online game, Elsword. Even though my outfit isn’t exactly the same as the main outfit for the class, my other clothes would probably be too small anyways.” The Rune Slayer placed his sword in the ground to where the edge was piercing it as he put his coat back on.

“I never heard of Elsword before, but If I find a way back home I’ll give it a try.”

Nicko smiled a little. “That’s not the only thing that I brought though. Like you have Fluttershy, I have a companion as well.”

“Companion?” Gon tilted his head. “Who is your companion?”

“Well, mostly she’s my partner. Other times, Eris is just playful-.” Nicko stopped and facepalmed himself as he looked at Gon. While he was talking, the Draconequus took out a pink feather and used it to start tickling the boy by the ears.

Gon broke out in hysterical laughter, and fell to the ground with bits of tears forming at his eyes. “Make it stop… please?” He continued to laugh, and Fluttershy gasped at the creature who was tickling him.

“Don’t be alarmed. Despite being a Draconequus, Eris is a good person. She’s helped me out multiple times before and was willing to get turned to stone with me when I protected my brother. And it also seems like she likes you Gon.”

“Only because he reminds me of Chaotic.” Eris said, remembering her little brother. She was now tickling both Fluttershy and Gon by using the fluffy end of her tail to make the Pegasus squeal in laughter. Nicko himself sighed, watching in amusement as the Spirit was enjoying herself. Once she had enough fun though, she stopped.

It took a moment for Gon and Fluttershy to regain their bearings. Once they did Fluttershy was the first to speak. “Oh thank Goodness you’re not like Discord.” She shuddered from the thought.

Gon replied to Fluttershy. “Who is Discord?” He then turned to Eris. “And who is Chaotic?”

“Discord is the Spirit of Chaos. Where I’m from, he’s reformed and a family man. I’m his daughter and Chaotic is his son. He’s married to Celestia.”

Fluttershy Quickly responded. “Oh my Celestia, he is married to Celestia!” She then fainted on the spot.

Nicko just stared in shock as he looked at Eris. She had only reply to the situation.

“Um…… Oops?”

Gon was trying to suppress his laughter, the thought of someone who looked like Eris doing it with Celestia was too much for him to handle. He couldn’t hold in his laughter and began to let out hysterically the suppressed laughter. Nicko himself just sighed. He put his fingers by Fluttershy’s ear and with a snap, Fluttershy woke up and startled herself.

“Are you okay?”

She meeped silently, and that was her only response. She was still shocked over what she just heard. Gon waved a hand in front of the yellow Pegasus. “Are you okay Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy shook her head to recollect herself. “I’m fine, just a bit… Startled that’s all.”

“Trust me, it’s happened before. We’ve had to deal with other situations that are worse than just accidently making you pass out.” Eris said, making Gon tempted to hear more while Fluttershy was unsure. “What do you say, Nicko? We tell our friends here some stories?”

Gon jumped in excitement. “Oh yes, please tell us some stories. I love a good story.”

Fluttershy added on. “Well if Gon insists, I guess I’d like to hear as well.”

Nicko sighed. “Eris, which story did you exactly have in mind?”

“The Griffonia one.”

“You mean the one where we woke up the Griffon’s capital city, only to be interrogated by the guard, have us run for our lives and meet Ryu?”

“Yeah, that one!! It’s one of the classics!”

“Now I got to hear this!!” Gon basically shouted with a smirk.

Nicko sighed, recalling everything that occurred. The two of them ended up there because they were accidently summoned to bait the guards while a rebel assassin was trying to kill the king. However, despite fatally poisoning the Griffon king, another human was able to heal him. Turns out, that was the Elder Dragon named Ryu, who seeked out Nicko, helped clear his name, trained him and helped find the real culprit. From the Dragon, he learned how to cast his spells in different styles and methods. What one would refer to as Mastery over your skill or craft.

As Nicko was recalling his events, It got awkward because he wasn’t saying anything. “Are you gonna tell the story or what?” Asked Gon concerned over his silence. Upon realizing this, Nicko began to speak verbally and tell them what happened. He thought that Fluttershy would freak a little given that Ryu; his teacher, was actually a dragon. But she seemed to just be a bit surprised rather than scared. Gon himself though was enjoying Nicko’s story and the young boy found it quite… entertaining to say the least. Especially when Nicko conjured a sphere of magic to Demonstrate his runic magic.

This though, now had Nicko thinking a bit. “Hey Gon… I was wondering something… do you have any abilities that can help you fight?”

“Well, yeah…… I think.” The boy told him. “Gon only gains powerful combat based abilities after unlocking his Nen.”

“Nen? Is it like Magic?” Eris asked, a little interested in what the boy would say.

“Not quite. From what I remember, Nen is a technique where it allows a living being to manipulate their own life energy into a form of Aura to use in survival.” Gon explained to both of them. “But my character only gains this after opening up their Aura nodes, a series of internal parts along the body. I honestly don’t know if they’re open or not to tell you the truth.”

“Hmm……” Eris scratched her chin as she looked at the boy. Going towards him, she floated behind him and put her talon on his back. “Gon, can you relax a little? I’m trying to figure something out.”

Gon didn’t have the chance to ask what she meant as she placed her talon along his shoulderblades. He felt a surge of energy go through him, making the hairs along his neck stand on end as he felt it. The boy now felt… different. Like he could do things he previously wasn’t able to do. Somehow, Eris must’ve done the Initiation method and forced open his Aura nodes.

“There… how do you feel?”

“I feel strange… but at the same time, I feel like I could take on the world!” Gon raised his hand to his field of vision, and noticed that there was energy flowing around it. Gon then smiled widely. “Oh this is to cool.” Fluttershy only stared at Gon with a questioning face.

She said to him. “What’s so cool? You look the same as before.” Fluttershy was unable to see the energy around Gon, because she had no sense of Nen in any form.

Gon replied to her. “Well, lets just say that I may have gotten an upgrade.”

Nicko smiled, seeing the energy from Gon. “Well, seems like Eris was able to unlock your talents. Now… We need to practice them. Fluttershy, do you know where there are any open fields we can go too?”

Fluttershy replied to Nicko’s question. “There is one just outside of ponyville, Gon should remember. It is where he ran away from the ponies who wanted Twilight’s doll.”

“Oh boy…” Eris said. “Lesson number zero. A day that will live in infamy… for her at least.”Would you kindly lead the way?” Fluttershy nodded and the group followed behind her.

After a couple of minutes they arrived at their destination and Fluttershy said. “Here we are.” Gon’s face cringed remembering his little fiasco with the ragged doll.

“Okay, before we continue, maybe you should give me a breakdown on how you can control your nen. Something tells me that it’s different than magic.” Soon though, Gon found something in his back pocket, which turned out to be a chart to help explain things a little better.

Looking over the scroll, Gon remembered everything that the show Hunter x Hunter had said about Nen. “Well to start , as you may know. Nen is the life energy of a person manifest into a way of defending oneself, or destroying another, depending on what you wish to do with your Nen. There are six Nen classes, Enhancer, who can increase their natural abilities. Transmuter, who can change the quality of their aura. Like for example, Gon’s best friend Killua from the show can change his Nen into electricity. Conjurer, who can materialize objects from their aura. Manipulator, who can control objects or living things. Emitter, who can shoot their aura like projectiles. Last but not least we go Specialist, they can use all other classes of Nen. In some cases Nen users can become specialists later in life, but it’s more likely to happen the closer you are on the Nen tree to the specialist Nen class.” Gon then handed the scroll over to the Rune Slayer.

Nicko was quite impressed with how this was explained. It reminded him of the different properties of magic and also the different properties that a spellcaster could use their magic for. Summoners could conjure weapons as well as summon elemental beings while Magi could create projectiles of elemental magic like fire or ice.

“Okay, I believe we should start with just focusing on the abilities you are capable of. For me, I know a lot of spells and abilities and use them in different ways to fit my fight style. For you though, lets see what you can do first before we make any adjustments.”

Gon nodded, taking off his upper shirt. He now had a sleeveless white undershirt on and shorts, which made it easier for him to move around in. “Alright, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Nicko smirked a little. He loved this kids determination. Gon soon took up a fighting stance and focused on trying to remember how this first move was pulled off. He focused his Nen into his fist as he shot himself forward in a head on attack.

JAJANKEN: ROCK!!

If it weren’t for Nicko’s quick reactions, the punch would’ve hit him in the chest. Instead, he dashed out of the way at the last second and the punch caused a big hole to form in the tree that was behind him. Fluttershy almost freaked out by the damage done to “Mr. Tree” and advised Gon to please be careful so that way no other trees or animals could get hurt.

“That ability was powerful,” Nicko commented. “But it won’t help you unless you know how to control it. Tell me, how many abilities do you have?”

“Three.” Gon replied. “Jajanken is my Nen and it’s based on the origins behind Rock, Paper, Scissors. What I just did was my first attack, rock, which is an enhancement ability.”

“Because you put your power into your fist.”

“Exactly. Paper is an Emission based skill and Scissors is a Transmission skill. Each with it’s own properties.” Gon continues. “Need a demonstration?”

“Be my guest.” Nicko encouraged him. Soon, Gon prepared himself and placed one of his hands in front of him, almost like if he was trying to do a ki blast in Dragon Ball Z. The other arm was holding it in place as he began to focus. Soon, it began to work.

JAJANKEN: PAPER!!

This one, caught Nicko off guard. He thought of Gon to be more of the brawler type and focus more on straightforward attacks. So this Blast of Nen energy surprised him. He was still able to dodge it as the blast hit a nearby rock. Not exactly breaking it to pieces, but still scraping it.

“Heh… And that was only my weakest skill.”

“Well, that was definitely quite impressive. So… I’m Presuming that Rock is your strongest and Paper is your weakest?”

“Something like that.”

Nicko now took off his coat. “And I’m guessing your third one is somewhere in the middle? Stronger than paper, but not as strong as rock.”

“Yes, That’s Scissors.” Gon said as he demonstrated for a brief second. Taking the same stance as with Rock, but his energy forming a blade. “Not as strong as Rock, but can cut things that Rock can’t break.”

Nicko himself was personally impressed. “Well, now to find a way to improve upon what you know. Like I said earlier, you need to come up with different methods for your three techniques and apply them to your combat style. Just because you only know those three moves mean that you can’t use them in multiple ways. Paper could hit the ground and cause a smokescreen from the dust it’ll cough up. You can probably channel your Nen to have Rock be felt from the opposite side of a wall or better yet, strengthen scissors so that way, it can stand up to an enchanted sword or weapon.” The Rune Slayer now continued to speak, but on a different subject.

“There is one thing I did notice that you seem to struggle with, Gon. I’m not quite sure if it’s because of your young age or something else, but my only concern at this rate is you controlling your aura.”

The young boy blinked a little and tilted his head, confused. “Control?”

“Eris, I think you're better at explaining this than I am.” The Rune Slayer told the Chaos spirit as she picked up on the conversation. “Basically, what Nicko is saying is that you need to not use up too much power on a single attack. In fact, this reminds me of a method my dad taught us for chaos magic called ICE. It’s broken down into three steps. Imagination, Concentration and Energy. You have Imagination and the energy to pull off your skills, but Concentration is the thing you lack. At times, like with you using Rock, you use up a lot of energy, but can’t control it like you can do with Paper. Do you understand?”

Gon nodded his head, trying to follow along. Nicko sighed. “I believe the only way we can truly see if our teachings have paid off is if Gon and I fight. Better get ready.”

“Wait, what-?”

Without warning, Nicko dashed towards Gon and used his Explosive Fist skill to try and hit Gon with a fist full of flames. However, with the youngster’s speed, he was able to avoid the Rune Slayer’s attack. This didn’t stop Nicko though as he used the magic that was radiating in his fist to form two runes and send them in Gon’s direction. One behind the other. When Gon used Jajanken: Paper, it only struck the first one and surprised him when the second rune hit him.

It didn’t knock him back far though as he quickly went back on his feet. “Heh… you seem to be holding back.”

“Obviously… Why do I need to use my full strength anyways? I’m just in a small fight with you. I’m not trying to kill you or anything like that, but I know that there might be others who would do so. Therefore, this is for your own benefit.” Eris herself just returned to Nicko’s body as he and Gon clashed again for a few more strikes that lasted for another couple of minutes. At one point though, Gon was able to hurt Nicko with Jajanken: Scissors and scratch him near the right cheek.

“O-oh my!!” Fluttershy squeaked. “Are you alright, Mr. Nicko!?”

“I’m okay. It’s just a minor scratch. Still though Gon, I’m quite impressed with what you are capable of.” Nicko said as he picked up his coat.

“Wait… so that’s that!? We’re done!!?! Come on!! I want to hear more of your stories, Mr. Nicko!!!” The young boy complained, pouting a little as he sat down by Fluttershy. Nicko himself, while holding his coat, just walked over to him and patted him on the shoulder as he smiled.

“In due time. Right now though, my world needs me… But, if there is an off chance that you need me for anything, use this.” Nicko then handed to him his Rune Slayer mark. “That is my summoning token. You can use it to summon me to your world anytime you need me. I believe you may also have a token on you too that represents you.”

Gon didn’t know it at the time, but soon, his back pocket began to glow. In it was an item he recognized. The Hunter License of Gon’s father in the anime, Ging. Soon though, his aura caused the single license to split into two.

“Now… is there something you would like to say? How should the other Displaced in the Multiverse hear you?”

Gon sighed. Unsure of what to actually say. Then, it came to him. My name is Gon Freecss and I’m a hunter. If you ever need my abilities in Nen, then call upon me. To call upon me hold this License and say my name. I will hear you… and I will come. Gon then said to Nicko. “So now what?”

“Well, I better get going. Our fight just now had probably attracted some attention. I feel Twilight’s magic closing in right now. So… See ya around!” With that, Nicko used his own token to conjure a small portal as he hopped inside and have it close seconds later, leaving Gon and Fluttershy there in the fields. But they were also left with an experience the two of them will never forget.


Castle of Friendship (Nicko’s world)

When Nicko returned, things weren’t quite the way they were when he was last here. For one thing, Mostly everypony was gone. Max seemed to have went back to his own world and left his token in Nicko’s room. Not only that, but the painting of the Lake was gone. Replaced by a Photo of him and his brother from seven years ago. It felt strange, but somehow, the castle felt empty. Why though was another question.

That’s when he saw a note on the floor. It looked like it was intended for Twilight, but it seemed like he came across it first.

I’ll be back in a little while Twilight. I’m going to try and find Uncle Nicko. He’s probably in his room using one of his tokens again, so I shouldn’t be gone long.

-Faith

“Oh no……” Nicko told himself as he ran back into the room. He was quick to realize that it had definitely looked like the box of tokens was in disarray. But soon, he noticed one that was left out of the picture. A unloaded gun with the name ‘Evoker’ etched in the handle. He was told by Yuri that his brother had used the same token to call upon an ally to help him kill Eric all those years ago. Now, Faith must’ve somehow ended up in their world. And just when he thought that he couldn’t catch a break.

Time to go world hopping again.


Meanwhile…

Faith herself was wondering aimlessly through the rocky terrain she was in. Unaware of her current location or where in the world she exactly was. But she did know one thing, and that was that she was not alone. For in the distance, she heard the cries of a filly.

Getting closer, her eyes widened upon who she saw. Somepony that she only thought was an imaginary friend of hers in a stuff animal. It was Dinky hooves. And she seemed…… lost.

“Are you okay?” She asked quietly, trying not to startle the frightened filly. The young unicorn was scared a little at first, but then tried to reply the best she could.

“W-who… are you?”

“I’m…… a friend. My name is Faith.” She told her, unsure if this version of Dinky knew her father or not. “What’s your name?” Dinky replied by saying her full name and then saying something that personally surprised Faith.

“I wish daddy were here. He and Orphey were with me last time something like this happened.”

“Who’s your dad?” She then asked.

“Well…… his name was Anson Nocte… I think-.”

“Wait…… That’s the name of my dad.”

Both of them stared at each other in pure shock and confusion. They didn’t quite know how to make of this…… but then, Dinky said something that made Faith’s heart skip a beat.

“D-does this mean…… we’re sisters?”


End Log 9

Author's Note:

I have to give a major thank you to Scarlet-Night for the opportunity to crossover with Gon from Gon X Equestria. As for the ending, by how the ending for Swords, Sorcery and Shenanigans played out, you might guess where I'm going with this. May the craziness ensue... and Dinky and Faith's cuteness be the end of us all. Be aware though, this does tie in to future events of New Dawn's Story, Fire Upon Strings.
-Frost