• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 5,752 Views, 188 Comments

Of Magic and Machines - FrostTheWolf



[Displaced Story] A young girl wakes up in a world she only thought was a fantasy. Only to realize that there's a lot more to it then she thinks.

  • ...
22
 188
 5,752

Epi-log- One More Light

Of Magic and Machines- One More Light


It had been close to three months after that memorable date and since then, a lot had happened for Nicko. Both Eris and Moondancer gave birth to their children without any complications, but right now, his major concern is about his children being raised in an environment where they would not get caught in the crossfire if a displaced or any other villain just happened to come after him or his family. It had already happened once before while Eris and Moondancer were in the hospital, where a pony who thought of the demons as a sign of salvation tried to assassinate him and his family for what he had done to the demons leader.

Which, was all the more reason to come here. But… he wasn’t alone this time around. “Uncle Nicko, why did you want to come over here to the mirror world again?”

The Rune Slayer sighed as he turned to his niece and looked back at her. “I wanted to talk to a friend of mine here… I really want to make sure that my children… no… your cousins can be able to live somewhere safe.” Just as he told her that, the two of them approached the outside of a particular home that he was looking for. “Can you wait here? I’m going to see if they’re home.”

Faith nodded her head, turning around to have a look at her surroundings while her uncle walked up the driveway of the home that they stopped at and went over to the door. However, it was something that was across the street that got Faith’s attention and caused for her to walk closer to the edge of the driveway.

Because for a moment, she thought she had seen a boy with white hair and purple eyes. Not a normal one though. One that was looking directly at her and holding a strange device. Shortly after seeing him, she had to look away when her uncle called her over… and when she looked back across the street, nobody was there. “That… was odd. Who was he?” She said to herself, before going to the door and walking in after her uncle.

Immediately, she met a few faces that she was rather… unfamiliar with. Mostly because of the fact that she was rather… unfamiliar with meeting people in that of the mirror world. The first two people she met were two women whose hair looked like that of a lit campfire and skin to match, even though both of them had their differences.

One wore a blue blouse with a set of black jeans and socks that were the same color as her blouse, while the other wore a pink shirt under a black leather jacket, a dull grey set of sweats that stopped just before her worn biker boots. The first one of the two though, was the one to notice Faith and spoke up. “Oh… Why hello there. Nicko, I didn’t really expect for you to have someone come along with you. Who is she?”

Nicko himself sighed, before then saying something to them. “Faith, these are my two friends, Sunset and Eventide… Girls, this is Faith. She’s my niece.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you two,” Faith herself originally asked, before following her statement up with a question. “Would the two of you happen to be twins?”

“Uh… Sort of.” The one with the jacket said, “She’s Sunset, and I’m… well, her from this world.” Faith, for a moment, tilted her head in confusion.

She means that Sunset was originally from Equestria, Ms. Faith…” She then heard the familiar voice from one of her earrings for a moment. To which, caught Sunset’s attention.

“What the heck was that?”

“That was Moby and Remy,” The Code Queen replied, having her earrings take form into the two drones that stood beside her now. “They’re my assistants and help me with processing data and information. Especially in places that I may be unfamiliar with.” That was even followed by Remy presenting what looked like a holographic screen that pointed out the differences between both of them, before she dismissed it and looked back at them.

“Okay… Twilight would definitely like something like that,” Sunset spoke up, before adding one other detail. “I mean Twilight over here. Not Princess Twilight.”

“I figured as much, but didn’t want to assume…” Nicko replied back to her, before looking at both of them now. “Though, I didn’t come here because of Faith… I wanted to talk about something else…”

“Alright, I’ll let you… guys discuss that.” Eventide said as she began walking away.

“Actually… I wanted to talk about it with you too.” The Rune Slayer spoke up, to which caught Eventide’s attention. “I… wanted to ask you both something in regards to my kids. For me, I’ve realized that with how things are going for me right now, it just means that there’s more of a chance of having them end up in harm's way. And I don’t want that for them, especially when they grow up. I need someone to help look after them… raise them… foster them.”

Sunset blinked rapidly while Eventide didn’t at all, before looking at Eventide. “Wait… Are you saying-?”

“Yes… I’m asking if you want to be the foster parents of my kids,” Nicko replied back. “It’s a tough decision… but I have already talked about it with Eris and Moondancer and they agree with me. We want for our children to be safe… and I think they are safe in your care…” He paused for a moment, before looking back at Eventide. “I know this is much of me to ask from you… but I-”

“What the heck!? You think you can just barge into our lives and ask us to resign ourselves to watching out for your kids!? You’re their parents!”

Nicko sighed deeply, before looking back at them. “I know… But in the time that they were born, several different ponies back home have tried to threaten both me and my family… and because of this, Equestria is not a safe place to raise them…”

Eventide glared intensely at Nicko. “Then why not move here? Or are you afraid of being parents?”

“I’m not afraid… I want to raise them…” He told her back in response, looking directly at her. “But no matter where I go… and no matter where I am, I feel as if there’s a target painted on my back. I can’t be able to raise them properly if some displaced keeps on coming after me when I’m trying to spend time with my children… I’m afraid that one day, they will get hurt because of someone who does want to come after me. And raising them like this, being constantly alert and on the run, is not how I want to raise them…”

“Why should we? I recall not owing you anything.” Eventide’s glare became even more furious.

“Eventide, please… calm yourself.” Sunset urged her. “Didn’t you forget about how Nicko helped you before? It’s because of him that you’re no longer under Sunblight’s control.”

“I’m sorry but… Sun-who?” Faith asked, confused.

“Yeah, but that was also because of him though, wasn’t it?” Sunset glared at her, before looking back at Nicko.

“Nicko, I’m sorry about this-”

“No, it’s okay… I understand…” Nicko insisted. “I’ve made many mistakes… and I accept what I’ve done… What was I thinking anyways?” The Rune Slayer asked himself, who had his head down in his hands and seeming really stressed out before making his way towards the door. “All I wanted was to ensure that my children can be happy and safe… Now I don’t think such a thing is possible after what you’ve told me… I’m sorry if I wasted your time.”

Eventide growled as she looked away and groaned out two words. “How many…?”

Upon hearing that, the Rune Slayer stopped, looking back towards them as he pulled out a picture for them. “Three… Two sons, one daughter. Naoto, Noctis and Dawn.”

“It’s not my choice. I just live under Sunset’s roof. Plus there are six other girls here.” Eventide said half heartedly.

“Sunset told my Twilight that you did… babysitting, I think it was,” They all heard one of Faith’s drones repeat back to them. “So if the personalities for this worlds mane six are the same as the ones we know of, you two are-”

“Moby, I think that’s enough…” Faith told them, before both drones turned back into the set of earrings that were on her ears. “I’m sorry about that.”

“No, it’s fine actually.” Sunset replied back, before looking back at Nicko. “Can you… give us some time to think on this though? I want to ask Twilight and the girls about it and see what they think.”

“Feel free to take as much time as you need. I’m not trying to pressure you to make a choice right now-” Nicko assured them as he had Faith follow him to the door… before noticing something in the nearby hallway. A young, redheaded girl that looked familiar. Almost like Amy… but a bit different. “Oh… I’m sorry, but I didn’t realize you were already taking care of someone.”

“That’s Cressida, and a friend of a friend asked me to take care of her.” Nicko turned around for a moment, getting to his knees as he looked at Cressida. Waving his hands in order to say hello to her. Being as calm and collective as possible before looking back to Eventide.

“She seems rather friendly.” The Rune Slayer commented.

“She is if you get past her shyness.” Eventide replied, watching as Cressida went into another room.

“Whoops… I didn’t mean to startle her or anything,” Nicko sighed, scratching the back of his head. “My bad.”

“Yeah, even I startle her sometimes.” Eventide replied. “She’s also efficient with… with jobs I give her. Chores and the like.”

“Wait til she starts seeing Eventide as her mother.” Sunset chuckled lightly as she looked back at Nicko and Faith. “Anyways… We’ll get back to you once we’ve had a bit of time to think. Have a good evening, you two.”

“Thank you Sunset,” Nicko replied back, before looking to Eventide. “Have a good evening.” With that, both of them left the room as they walked down the driveway while both Sunset and Eventide were looking back at the two of them.

“How do you think the girls would react once we tell them?” Sunset asked Eventide.

“Mixed. Pinkamena would be ecstatic, Rainbow and Rarity would be confused, Fluttershy would be worried, Applejack would insist we help, and Twilight would ask questions…” Eventide replied in a dull manner.

“Well… Here’s how I think of it…” Sunset told her, looking back at her. “Your… friend of a friend… is asking us to look over Cressida right now, but that may not be forever. If she goes, it’ll just be us again… and I’ve seen you when you’re with Cressida. You enjoy taking care of her and helping her… Besides, what’s the worst that could happen if we do agree to this?”

Back outside though, both Nicko and Faith walked side by side as they made their way to the portal at Canterlot High. “Hey, Uncle…… Do you think that they might agree to what you asked of them? They didn’t seem to thrilled to hear it.”

“Heh… don’t be so quick to assume…” The Rune Slayer told her as he looked back towards Sunset’s house. “Give them some time and have a bit of Faith. Things might work out really well in the end.”

“I thought that in the end, it doesn’t really matter?” Faith told him for a moment, causing Nicko to raise an eyebrow. “What? Dad says that all the time. Is something wrong?”

“No Faith… nothing’s wrong.” He said as the sun began to rise over the town of Canterlot City. Moments before they walked through the mirror. “Nothing’s wrong at all.”


Author's Note:

When one story ends, another begins. But this time... It's not just one story, but three. But with their story, comes new challenges. So let me ask you this.

Shall we play a game?

Comments ( 21 )

And so this story ends.... But the adventures are just beginning....

Amazing work as always, Frost, but if I may ask, what do you intend on doing now that the 3rd Job Classes are released/being released?

Sheesh, Eventide was being a little intense there.

8638323
From what BP told me, Eventide was an orphan and abandoned by her own parents. So her anger is... reasonable

8638640
Well, this just got even sadder.

8639393
Well, that and she is still a bit haunted by being possessed by the manifestation responsible for Demon Sunset Shimmer in EQG. Good news though, things might be better for her later on ;)

(If you wanna talk on this more, PM me and we can pick it up from there)

8639580
You're planning an sequel?

8640173
The third book, yes.

8640630
Just out of curiosity, Nicko's cousin is Rain from Exvius: Rainfall?

Really nice ending chapter

well this story ends...it was great i hope you don't mind my saying so...

FUUUUUCK, IT'S AN ADDICTION!!! SCREW YOU FROST! (and thank you)

9704825
Um... you're welcome? o_O

9705594
If you're confused it's because I started Elsword.

9706836
It's less that I'm confused and more that I am surprised. Never had anyone try something new because of a story I've done

9707525
Well! There is a first for everything.:twilightsmile:

Question which chapter has Jack frost in?

You know, I really tried to get into this one, I really did. This and its previous volume. I think the issue I had with it is that there are too many humans in it. The story gets bogged down with too many characters and it gets hard to follow and keep track of them all. This is kind of sad, because I generally like multi human stories.

Just could keep everything straight, got lost several times and burned out on it. Who was this one again? Which one are we following now? Etc.

Monk
"The idea simply stated that when personal feelings are mixed with power, bad things happen." -Corvo

11329841
Yeah, since this was one of my older works, I can see why people would be turned off by it. Displaced just isn't for everyone, but I try to find a way to make it as intriguing as possible. It just seems to fit with certain audiences more than others

Login or register to comment