• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 5,782 Views, 188 Comments

Of Magic and Machines - FrostTheWolf



[Displaced Story] A young girl wakes up in a world she only thought was a fantasy. Only to realize that there's a lot more to it then she thinks.

  • ...
22
 188
 5,782

Log 29- I Want to Live

Of Magic and Machines- I Want to Live


Crystal Empire (Some time earlier)

“Are you sure that this is the best decision, Ms. Faith?” The question from Moby soon had Faith stop for a moment as the Code Queen turned around to face the nasod drone that had addressed her. She was honestly surprised at this since there had not been a time where Moby and Remy had questioned the decisions she made, but had decided to hear him out. “I’m not one to question your decisions, but this just seems too… reckless of a choice to make solely on your own, Ms. Faith. Would it be wiser to run it by someone else like Molly or perhaps your father-?”

“No… I’m fine with telling Molly, but I am not telling dad,” Faith boldly proclaimed. “I known my father for a long time and when things seem grim or hopeless, he tries to take it upon himself in order to fix everything… It’s been like this ever since mom died…” She paused for a moment, recalling everything that both drones had shown her only moments beforehand as Faith took a moment to catch her breath. “This is something that he can’t face on his own. I know we have Molly and everyone else, but all of us can’t be able to stand up to an invasion force… We need help and I know that Sun Wukong at Beacon can help us. I can’t just stand here and watch things happen, knowing there’s something I can do in order to save lives… Do I make myself clear, Moby?”

The drone’s only response was a small nod of it’s head as it looked at Faith. It was caught off guard by what Faith had told him and he barely had anything to say in response. “I-i’m sorry, Ms. Faith… we did not know about-.”

“It’s okay… I normally don’t talk that much about my mother anymore and what happened to her doesn’t affect me as much as it affected Dad,” She told them in response. “Now, I need you to go send that courier out as quickly as possible. Use Sun’s token as a waypoint to send the drone so it can get their safely and inform me if you have any difficulties.”

“What about you, Ms. Faith? Where are you going?” Remy then decided to speak, wanting to hear an answer from the Code Queen as she turned around and looked at them.

“I’m going to let Molly know that I’m calling for some help… I told you that I wasn’t telling my father… but I wasn’t saying no to telling Molly. She knows just as much about Nasods as I do and with her help, we can find out what needs to be done around here and get to it,” The Nasod Queen told them as she went to go find Molly. The only other thought in her mind at that moment in time being that she hoped her uncle Nicko was alright.


Ponyville

It had only been a short amount of time since he helped send his teacher back to his world and right now, the Rune Slayer named Nicko was not liking the fact that Leo was forcing him to get some rest. Even though he was technically considered his half brother since his parents had adopted him into the family, the Reckless fist was advising that he take some time to recover and be with Eris and Moondancer. Of course, he was fine with the second part. But to him, The Rune Slayer thought that Leo was overlooking the sheer amount of power and strength that he had gained because of his Transcendence and the fact that he could be able to provide much needed assistance to not only him, but the small battalion of royal guards that were in Ponyville and served as the only way for the town to defend itself. Now he felt as if he was under house arrest as he just stared up at the ceiling while lying against the bed in his room. Stretching his arm out as if to grab something that was not actually there.

“You okay, Nicky?” He looked to his right upon hearing that to see that his fiance Eris had entered in the room along with Moondancer as well.

“I guess…” He sighed as he sat up on the bed to look back at them. Before he could say anything though, Moondancer then spoke up and asked him something.

“Still a little angry about Leo forcing you to recuperate?” All the Rune Slayer could do was nod and sigh his head.

“Yeah… I mean, I was all ready to go to see what he needed help with, only to be put on the bench. That just sucks…” He said to them as the Unicorn took a seat nearby while Eris sat down next to him and nudged alongside of him. “I mean, my energy was restored while we were talking with Ryu and… I just hate it when I know there’s something I can do to help others and yet, I’m being told not to help. That’s just BS.”

“I get it… it almost sounds like whenever Mom lectures me about how I use my magic,” Eris groaned. “‘You are not allowed to use your chaos magic to make it rain Ice cream!’ she said… Granted I was still young and this was before I met you, Nicky.” That just made Nicko raise an eyebrow as he heard Moondancer giggling a little in response to Eris impersonating Princess Celestia while she was speaking.

“I’m a little surprised that Moondancer knows what you are talking about…” The spellsword replied honestly.

“Well, we did get the chance to talk amongst ourselves while we were gone,” Eris chuckled in response. “So what you know about me, Moondancer knows too.”

Hunh… that is… rather surprising.” Nicko thought to himself as he looked back at both of them for a minute while he was trying to process something inside his brain. At this point though, he needed a second opinion on what he was thinking about because it would greatly affect not just him, but also Eris and Moondancer too. So the best way in order to figure out what to do… was ask them.

“Hey, can I ask you two about something?” Both ladies turned towards him for a moment as he got up from the bed and faced them directly. “If you were in my position right now… would you choose to stay here… or go?” It was honestly a question that he was unsure about asking them in the first place… but what he was told shortly after that surprised him.

“Well, if I were honest with you, Nicko…” Eris spoke up, before whispering something in Moondancers ear for a moment as both of them looked at him. “We think that with the way things are now… you should go out there and take the fight to the enemy.”

That caught Nicko by surprise as he raised an eyebrow. He honestly thought they would tell him to stay and help them out since they were going to have kids in the next few months, but this was unexpected. “Seriously? I h-honestly thought that you would want me to stay here with you two-.”

The female draconequus let out a snort as she looked back at the spellsword. “Come on, Nicko. Just because we’re pregnant does not mean that we’re helpless. Your parents have been helping us along with Twilight and some of her friends too…” Eris pointed out to him as she folded her arms. “But still… As the old saying goes, it’s too dangerous for you to go alone. So there are two things you should have.”

Now Nicko was getting to be a little bit curious by what Eris meant by that. “And just what exactly are those two things?” He asked as Eris soon got up and floated over and around him for a short bit before landing softly in front of the Rune Slayer. She cracked a grin for a moment before stretching out her lion paw and eagle claw simultaneously.

“First things first…” She said as the draconequus placed a talon from her eagle claw along the center of his forehead while her lion paw was directly over her heart as she closed her eyes for a moment. Nicko felt a surge of energy flow through him, feeling a little… different. How? He was not sure… but that was when Eris began to speak. “A blessing… consider it as an early wedding gift if you want to think of it that way.”

“Uh… not to be rude, Eris… but what did you just do?” He asked, puzzled by what his fiance just did. “I mean, don’t get me wrong… I didn’t think you would do anything bad, it just feels… strange.”

“Well, I believe that’s what normally happens when your body becomes accustomed to chaos magic.” That… caught Nicko off guard immediately. Especially with the last two words in that sentence. He did not know a lot about chaos magic, but from what he had seen, it made Eris and her father Discord very… unpredictable.

“Uhh… Eris, I hate to sound rude, but what do you mean by accustomed?” He posed the question for her, causing the draconequus to chuckle in response as she booped him on the nose.

“I think Eris means that she gave you some of her magic for you to use on your own…” Moondancer then spoke up as she looked at the two of them. “At least, that is what I think she did. I can never really tell what exactly Eris does sometimes unless she specifically tells me.” That just had Eris giggle again as the draconequus looked at both the Unicorn and the Rune Slayer while she was beginning to inform both of them on what she was talking about.

“Actually Moony, you are correct,” The draconequus told them. “I gave him some of my magic so that way he could have more tricks up his sleeve when combatting those demons. Their leader already knows about Nicko’s magic since it was the same magic that Starswirl had used when he originally sealed him, so this would be something that they would not see coming.”

Now that Nicko thought about it, what Eris said was rather clever. It would give him the element of surprise for sure, but like with all things, it would take some time to get familiar with first. He didn’t learn how to be as strong as he is now in a day when it came to his magic and the same could be said for him learning how to control it. But right now, he had to focus on other things for the moment. “Thank you Eris… but what exactly is the second thing?”

“Ah right… the second thing you will need is a partner,” Eris replied. “And I already thought about who would work well in this.” Nicko thought it over for a moment, before looking back at Eris and chuckling to himself.

“You’re talking about Amy, aren’t you?”

“Well, obviously I am… Heck, even Pinkie Pie told me that Amy was giving Anson a bunch of smack talk for denying her the chance to kill Eric all those years ago,” The draconequus replied, doing the air quotes motion while she was speaking. “Plus, I thought that with Umbra being with her, both of them wouldn’t say no to killing the jackass responsible for making her life a living hell.” The Rune Slayer chuckled a little as he looked back at her. Yet, he was still confused at one part.

“And how exactly are you going to ask her?”

“I have Selena on speed dial. This will just take a moment.” Eris replied, having her paw replicate that of a cell phone as she placed it to her ear by the time Nicko had finally processed what she said.

“Hold on, you have a speed dial?”

“Why of course… how else do you think I’m able to contact somepony when I can’t talk inside their head?” She posed the rhetorical question before speaking in a muffled tone. After a few seconds, Eris soon turned around and looked at them. “Okay, Selena should be here any second now…”

“Wait… you invited her?”

“Well, this isn’t exactly the kind of conversation to be having over the phone, wouldn’t you agree?” Eris told them before mentioning one other thing out of the blue. “By the way, she’s right behind you two.”

“Wait wha-?”

“You called?” That startled both Moondancer and Nicko simultaneously, causing the unicorn mare to jump into Nicko’s arms and almost fall to the ground in the process.

“Jesus christ, that almost gave me a heart attack…” Nicko coughed as he tried to straighten himself up and set Moondancer down as he look back at Selena. “Oh… Hey Selena, long time no see?”

“Likewise Nicko, so is there a reason why Eris called for me to be here?”

“Well, let’s just say that Nicky here was getting ready in order to give that son of b*tch that stole that dark el shard from Amy and also turned Umbra’s life upside down what he deserves and I was taking into consideration that maybe Amy would want to join him. After all, she’s probably pissed after what happened the last time around.” Eris told her as she explained to Selena a little bit more about what she meant. However, her surprise to the group was an… unexpected one to say the least.

“Little bit too late for that seeing how she’s already on her way to do that.” That made Nicko think that he was running behind and that he needed to catch up with her. But before he could, he heard a knock on the door as Moondancer said that she would get it… and at the door was none other than Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo?” Moondancer asked out of curiosity as she let the pegasus inside. “It’s good to see you but… what exactly are you doing here?”

“Rainbow Dash told me that I needed to stay here.” That caught everyone’s attention, including Selena’s as Scootaloo set down a rolling suitcase in the living room nearby one of the furniture pieces. “Was very insistent as well.”

“Any reason why?” Selena asked her, causing Scootaloo to shake her head in response.

“All I heard from them was her dragging Amy across the floor and then saying ‘she said one week… and I’m using it’ before locking the door to their room. I just decided to not question it and came here like she asked.” All that did was cause a bit of silence to drift across the room before that same silence was interrupted by Eris.

“Well daaaaamn, I didn’t know Rainbow was that kinky!”

“Eris!” Nicko facepalmed as he looked at her. “Is that really the best thing to say right around now?”

“What? I thought it was kind of obvious…” She said before looking back at Selena. “So I guessing that Amy is not going anywhere for a while?”

“Pretty much yeah.” Selena sighed as Nicko himself was thinking of something. Not long after did an idea come across his mind.

“Hey, what if I get an early start and then Amy can just catch up. If it all helps, I think it would be easier for her to catch up to me rather than the other way around,” The Rune Slayer proposed. To take it even further, he tested the chaos magic that Eris had given him in order to conjure something in his hands and have it solidify before offering it to Selena. “Plus, maybe this could help her as well.”

Selena, upon inspecting the item that he crafted, cracked a small grin as she looked back at the Rune Slayer. “This could work in her favor.”

“I had to go through a lot of training in order to be able to achieve Transcendence, but if Amy uses that, she’ll not only be on the same playing field as me but also have access to more skills and abilities for her to use. I thought it would help since we would be fighting together after all.” He replied back, before looking at Eris and Moondancer for a moment and turning to Selena. “I would make one for Molly, but I’m getting used to the chaos magic that Eris just gave me. Where should Amy and I meet up at whenever she’s done… spending time with Rainbow-.”

“You do realize I know what sex is right?” Scootaloo blurted out and interrupting what he was saying before going back to the comic book she was reading. Nicko honestly wanted to ask how exactly she knew about that, but decided not to question it as he looked back at Selena.

“So where should Amy and I meet? I was thinking of making my way towards Baltimare and Manehattan in the east, but I wanted to ask you first.” He then asked Selena. “Besides, who knows if Amy knows someone who can probably help us… I know about Ember and the Dragons in the dragon lands, but I would believe that all connections with other nations have been severed because of the invasion. Any ideas?”

“Well there is her brother if I’m not mistaken.”

Nicko remembered who she was talking about and looked back at her. “I mean allies of the local kind. Not the Multiversal… besides, I’m saving that option as a last resort.”

“I’m just saying. He can take care of this in less then a second. Remember, imagination and stuff.”

“I prefer a challenge then taking the easy way out,” Nicko insisted, cracking his knuckles a bit. “Besides, even though she’s made a lot of enemies here, Amy’s probably made some friends here too right?”

“ …… Define friends…That doesn’t include use?” Selena questioned as he sighed for a moment… until Eris thought of something.

“Hmm… correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Amy befriend a changeling in order to get the chance to beat the crap out of Chrysalis?” That question got a few blank looks from both Moondancer and Nicko before the spirit of chaos sighed. “What? That’s what Molly told me.”

“Other than her, who else is her friend that she hasn’t pissed off already?” At this point, Nicko sighed as he looked back at Selena for a moment.

“My point is that if we’re going to be able to push those guys back, it’s not something that Amy and I can do on our own. It needs to be a team effort… If we help out some of the local towns in pushing back the demons, then they could help other people in pushing them back as a whole.” Nicko replied as he looked back at Selena. “Besides, maybe those who we do ask for help could make it easier in the long run.”

“And how many of them are willing to seeing how not many of them can fight?”

“Hey, I just feel as if I should think out all the possible options first before calling on help…” Nicko insisted. “Rather not drag anyone in that does not want to get involved… But back to the main subject, where should Amy and I meet up? I better get a head start on getting there before nightfall if I want to meet up with her. It’ll be a lot harder to try and travel… or fight for that matter in the dark.”

“Beats me. I’m not into the whole strategy thing seeing how I mostly do my work within Amy. Speaking of her, I better get back before something else happens and I have to fix anything that she might’ve broken.”

“Fair point…” Nicko nodded, before looking at Eris. “Hey Eris, can you-?”

“Yeah, I can let her know where you are when Amy’s ready to get going.” The draconequus replied with a smile.

“Thanks Eris, you’re the best.” He told her back, kissing her on the cheek before looking back at Selena. “Thanks for stopping by, Selena. I’m glad that we were able to figure things out.”

“Don’t mention it.” She replied before disappearing a few moments later. Leaving Scootaloo with Eris, Moondancer and Nicko as the Rune Slayer was checking to make sure he had all the necessary preparations on hand. That his weapons were ready, his coat was prepared, that he had food for the journey and so on.

“Alright, looks like I have everything I need,” He said before looking back at Eris and Moondancer. “Stay safe while I’m gone. I’ll try to be back home as soon as I can.”

“You better get back here,” Eris teased, looking back at him with a slight grin. “Because once this whole demonic mess is straightened out and dealt with, we’re getting married for sure. Moony and I have been talking over the finishing touches along with a guest list of who to invite, but honestly, with the amount of people we know at this point we should just invite everybody!”

“That seems like a bit of a stretch…” Moondancer pointed out. “We’ll try to straighten out the details while you’re gone.”

“Anything else I should know about before I take off?” Nicko then asked out of curiosity. He wanted to make sure that he wasn’t missing out on any important details before he was to leave and go fight against the demons that he needed to vanquish.

“Just stay safe… that and don’t get yourself killed.” Eris chuckled, looking outside for a moment. “We’ll cover for you while you’re gone and I can keep an eye on you while you are on travel.” That caught Nicko by surprise for a moment, but he decided not to question it since Eris was probably going to do this using her chaos magic. “However, you should know that if you somehow get summoned by a displaced, it would leave me unable to contact you while you are in that Displaced’s world.”

“Meaning that you can only be able to reach me once I return?” Nicko then asked as he predicted what Eris was going to say next. What the Draconequus did was nod her head in response and smirked.

“Exactly… Oh and use the back door. If you go out through the front, the guards around Ponyville may notice you and tell Leo. Busting your chance of getting out of here and it’s really unlikely that you would get a second chance if you mess up on the first one.”

“Noted.” The Rune Slayer deadpanned, kissing both of his Fiance’s before darting out to the back door. “I’ll be back as soon as I can… I’ll make sure to give them hell for you.” With that, Nicko closed the door behind him and immediately ran off before any of the guards could notice that he was gone. And just as he left, Eris turned to hear a knock on the door as she floated over and opened it with her paw. Finding none other than Leo himself at the door.

“Oh hello Caliburn…” Eris said, acting like she had no idea what was going on. “What brings you to our little humble abode? Aren’t you suppose to be helping Leo and the guards around town?”

“I am,” He sighed, crossing his arms for a minute. “In fact, I was asked by Leo to come and see if Nicko is home. He needed to talk to him.”

“Oh? Has something come up?” Eris asked, tilting her head in confusion.

“Well, the Crystal Empire has gotten some… unexpected reinforcements because of Nicko’s niece. She sent a call out to someone named… Sun Wukong and he brought allies that could help us. Including reinforcements to help us here.” The Blade Master informed her. “I was coming on over in order to share the good news.” Now was when Eris had to put off the act and give it to him straight.

“Yeah… about that…” The Draconequus sighed, looking at the earth pony. “Nicko just left a few minutes ago so… yeah.”

Caliburn blinked a little before looking back at Eris, partially stunned. “Wait… so you’re telling me that the same guy who was only here roughly 20 minutes ago… just left? No note or anything? That doesn’t sound like him at all.”

“Oh we did talk to him and urged him to get some rest… but he kept on saying that he was already well rested and ready to fight.” The draconequus told him. “But you are welcome to have a look around the place and see for yourself if you don’t believe me. We have nothing to hide, my dear Cali~.”

“Oh no no, that would not be necessary.” He kindly refused, trying to hold back his blush. “I’ll just… be going then. Have a good day, Ms. Eris.” When the draconequus closed the door, all she could do was turn around and slide down it towards the floor. Breathing a sigh of relief before looking back at Scootaloo and Moondancer. The unicorn having a very… surprised look on her face.

“Okay, why did you just tell Caliburn the truth of what Nicko was doing? You know that Leo is going to freak out, especially with the amount of responsibility that Artemis is entrusting him with.” She said to Eris, who just happened to shrug it off as she smiled a little at Moondancer with a grin on her face as she had a look of confidence on her face.

“Oh come on… it can't be that bad now, can it?” Eris replied, trying to sound optimistic. Only to get an unexpected response from the most unlikely of individuals.

“Five seconds…” Both Moondancer and Eris turned to look at Scootaloo, who was straightening herself off of the couch and setting down the comic book she was reading. “The last time that Amy or Rainbow snuck off without telling anyone, it only took five seconds for someone to overreact. I betcha some of my bits that the same thing is going to happen.”

“Oh really now?” Eris said. “And I betcha that everything will be just fine… though, name your price.”

“Eris, is this really necessary?” Moondancer asked, sighing a little and resisting the urge to facepalm herself as both the pegasus and draconequus agreed for the bet to be fifty bits… and shortly afterwards… they heard the loudest outburst from outside that almost rocked the entire town.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE JUST RAN OFF!?! …… ERIS ALLOWED HIM TO LEAVE!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?”

“And now you owe me some bits,” Scootaloo smirked a little, causing Eris to sigh a little as she coughed up the bits that she had lost in the bet between both of them. “I think I’m going to enjoy my stay here with you guys.” All the draconequus could do was chuckle as she looked back at the pegasus and smile a bit. Keeping an eye on Scootaloo right now should help her and Moondancer once their kids were born. Speaking of which…

“Hey Moondancer, can I ask you something?” The draconequus spoke up as Moondancer looked back at her. “Have we ever decided what the names of our children were going to be?”


On the basin overlooking the badlands, two figures watched as waves of demonic monsters began to make their way around the empty canyon below as they surveyed their forces. While this was going on though, a small dark blue orb of demonic magic went up to one of them as it poured its energy into the nearest one. Once it was done, she had a message for her accomplice.

“Jin, we lost control of Canterlot.”

The other demon looked at her with both a surprised and also rather confused expression on his face. “Are you serious, In? I thought we would’ve leveled the place to the ground already like we did with some of the other cities.” He said, stretching out his shoulders. “The boss isn’t going to be too happy if he hears about this. Can’t we just reclaim it so we don’t have to report this to him?”

“That’s not going to be possible.” In interjected. “Not only was the invasion force we sent completely wiped out, but there’s now a source of magic that’s preventing us from even trying to get in. Scouts report that they noticed a large rune on the highest tower in Canterlot that’s causing us to not get in. We’ve also tried underground, which was the same way the changelings did it during the Royal Wedding invasion, but came across the same problem.”

“Brilliant… now the boss is really going to chew your ass off for this as well as mine.” The other demon groaned. But noticed that his partner’s expression did not change. “Is there something you’re not telling me?”

“More like something I was about to tell you in addition to what I already said.” She sternly replied, looking back at him. “Remember the Chaser we were using to get Lord Scar out in the first place?”

“You mean the little brat with the pea shooters? What about him?” Jin asked.

“He’s gone rogue,” the other demon told him. “He found out that we were lying to him the entire time and ran. Not before killing dozens of our soldiers and shooting Lord Scar in the shoulder.” That piece of information was what caught Jin by surprise.

“Sister, are you being serious?” His question was only met with a nod of her head. “That kids got stones for thinking he can get away after that.”

“He’s not going to get very far…” In responded. “Lord Scar left him mortally wounded and bleeding out. He was able to get away, but at this rate, he’ll die in the Everfree before someone finds him.” She then turned around to face her brother and partner before saying something else. “However, we can’t have the information in his head fall into enemy hands…”

“So we’re going to find him first… and make him suffer for his actions.”

“Now that is something I’m looking forward too,” Jin smirked as both of them had their weapons at the ready. “Ready or not kiddo, here we come.”


End Log 29

Author's Note:

So yeah... that happened. Some of the events in this chapter were referencing what was going in the latest chapter of my story Monkey Business since Faith called on Sun Wukong and his friends for help. What occurs over there is going to explain what happens in the Crystal Empire while what happens over here will be what happens for Nicko.

In addition to that, the item in question that Nicko provided for Selena was this item that could be found in the cash shop on Elsword.

The item is called Book of Transcendence: Gods Will and in game, it allows for a second job character to reach transcendence without having to do the quests for it. This one though includes the properties of two other items that unlock passive transcendent skills. That way, Amy can be on the same level in strength as Nicko.

Also, I have another update for this, but I'm going to hold off on it first to push for the next chapter of my Digimon Displaced story, The Fox and the Filly. If you have the time, please check it out along with all of my other stories.

Also, wish me luck. I got finals this week... *Fingers crossed*
-Frost