• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 8,184 Views, 355 Comments

In the Absence of Sunset Shimmer - MyHobby



A murder in the mirror world brings Sunset Shimmer back to Equestria, with her world's Twilight Sparkle in tow. While they track the killer, they struggle to reconcile the differences between them and their mirror counterparts.

  • ...
13
 355
 8,184

Twisting the Truth

If the outside of the house was bland, it made up for it with the interior. The walls were painted warm colors, which brightened or dimmed with the magical lamps. The floors were polished hardwood, on which a few minor scuffs could be seen from overzealous hooves. Every chair around the dining room table was a different style, though it still felt as though they belonged together. Pictures hung over the fireplace, depicting smiling ponies that Twilight couldn’t recognize… save for Sunset Shimmer.

She stopped before the largest picture. Sunset had her foreleg around a tall, brown-maned, paunchy pegasus stallion. Sitting in front of them were two foals, a filly and a colt. Their names were written on a plaque at the base of the frame. “Hoops, Sunset Shimmer, Stardust Shimmer, Dribble Drabble.”

Twilight Sparkle licked her lips. “Son of a gun.”

“We found the saddlebags, Your Highness.” Skyhook clomped his way into the living room, the bags in question looped around his foreleg. “We thought you and the visitor might want to take a look.”

Princess Twilight nodded and dismissed the commander with a flap of her wing. She took a steeling breath and waved Twilight closer.

“So…” Twilight shrugged her coat further up her narrow shoulders. The pistol strapped to her torso pressed against her chest. “Sunset… The two of them… Do you think they’ll be alright?”

Princess Twilight nibbled the edge of her perfectly-straight mane. She offered Twilight an apologetic smile. They’ll probably handle it better than we have.

Twilight lowered her eyebrows. She looked down and cocked her ears, catching the sound of several soldiers scouring the rest of the house. “Ouch, girl.”

The princess clenched her teeth together and forced out a sigh. She rubbed her cheek, just under her eye. I’m sorry about getting mad. I shouldn’t have let what you said affect me so much. It’s just kind of a shock.

She ran her eyes over the decorations lining the mantelpiece. She pointed at the portrait of the mirrored Sunset’s family. As you can probably tell, things are a lot different around here. More so than I imagined.

“Yeah. I’ve never even met a ‘Hoops’ before.” Twilight poked the saddlebags. They held the image of an orange gemstone overlaying a clef. “What I take away from this is that Big Mac isn’t your boyfriend.”

Don’t get me wrong, I had a huge crush on him. Princess Twilight smirked. Me and every other mare in town. Never acted on it, though. That’s life for you. She cringed, lighting her horn to flip the top flap off of the bags. Never really been lucky with love. The last guy I thought I liked tried to take over the kingdom.

Twilight gave the princess a double-take.

Long, long, looong story. Princess Twilight held up the saddlebags to hide her blush. How about we solve the mystery and save the torch songs for later?

“I’ll take you up on that.” Twilight sat down. “What magical mishaps do we have in store for today?”

A cloud of red gemstone shards floated out of the bag, carried by the princess’ magic. Princess Twilight clicked her teeth, examining them from every angle. One by one, she slid them together. Several minutes trickled by as the puzzle came together. At long last, it was complete, save for a tiny sliver near the top.

The red hexagon glinted in the light of the lamps. Twilight Sparkle swallowed the lump in her throat. “That’s it? That’s her… ‘sigil’?”

Princess Twilight nodded. She lifted the final fragment from her own saddlebags and clipped it into place. She twisted the jewel, showing off the hairline cracks than ran through the entire construction. No second guesses. I’ll bring this back to my laboratory to conduct controlled experiments. There can be no margin for mistakes with something this dangerous.

Twilight Sparkle pulled a chunk of rock from the bags. It flashed green and blue in her lavender magic grasp. “Looks like this is a piece of the portal. There’s a couple others in the bottom of the bag. If Sonata was telling the truth, then she came through the portal and spent the day chipping off bits of the pool-portal-wormhole-thingy.”

Princess Twilight Sparkle paced around, the siren’s sigil bobbing along beside her. It fits with the theory that she’s behind the theft of my mirror portal. She could be gathering bits and pieces of various portals for some nefarious scheme. In which case, we’ll be able to question her about whatever endgame is in store.

The portal fragment fell back into the saddlebags. Twilight rubbed one foreleg over the other. “If Sonata was telling the truth.”

The princess narrowed her eyes. She shrugged and tapped a hind leg against the floor. That’s a scary if, Twilight.

“I’m not one to shy away from scary things.” Twilight Sparkle held out a hoof. “You?”

The two Twilights locked eyes. The princess’ horn flickered, tightening the scarf around her neck. She shook her head back and forth.

“Okay then.” Twilight let out a little laugh. “Some things never change.”

***

Sunset Shimmer shuffled her feet on the dusty road. The Royal Guard troops had set up a perimeter around the property, keeping out curious onlookers while the Twilights did their work. Sunset forced a breath down her throat. She ended up just swallowing it.

She chanced a peek at her double. The mare huddled beside a prisoner wagon, the young filly clenched tight in her embrace. Iron bars separated them from Adagio Dazzle, who wore a solemn expression on her face.

Sunset braced herself and took a step closer. “Excuse me, but—”

“What do you want?” the other Sunset snapped. “Why did you even come here? What do you want?

Sunset backed up. She held a foreleg up, hovering it over the dirt, ready to take a step in any direction. “I… I was helping them track down a murderer.”

A scowl crossed the other Sunset’s face for a brief moment. It simmered back down into a quiet frown. “Is that it? Is that all? Is that the only reason you revealed yourself? To track down a supposed criminal? To imprison an old lady and scar a child’s memories forever?”

Sunset looked down at the filly, who struggled to get out of her mother’s grasp. “I… I was just trying to do the right thing…”

“Oh, of course.” Adagio leaned against the bars. “What do all heroes desire but justice?

The filly won the struggle against her mother. She squirmed away, her frizzy blue mane bouncing, and propped herself up against the carriage. “Aunt Dagi, are you going to jail?

Adagio smirked and gestured to the guards all around. “Looks like it, Stardust, if these handsome fellows have their way.”

“Cool!” Stardust wriggled further as her mother tugged her back by the tail. “Momma, stop!”

“No. Stay by me.” The mirrored Sunset glanced at her counterpart and rolled her eyes. “Alright. Maybe you haven’t scarred her memories forever. But you’re wrong. Adagio didn’t kill anyone. Pony or otherwise.”

Sunset huffed. “Maybe not, but all the evidence points to her.”

“If I may…” Adagio touched a hoof to the cold iron between her and the others. “What so-called evidence do you have?”

“I don’t know if I’m allowed to tell you.” Sunset noticed Stardust’s eyes on her, but ignored the filly. “I don’t exactly do this as a regular thing.”

“That in itself is interesting.” Adagio rustled around inside the prison carriage. She moved her curly mane to one side of her head. “A rookie in all things but friendship is thrust into a whirlwind adventure with a dastardly villain and heartfelt revelations. It would make for a good movie, I think.”

Stardust gasped. “Are you the villain, Aunt Dagi?”

Maaaybe,” Adagio chuckled. “We’ll have to see what justice says about it.”

“No!” The other Sunset stomped a hoof. “No, don’t be ridiculous! You’re not a villain!”

“I was at one point.” Adagio glared at the other Sunset, her eyebrows level. “You know it. I know it. And denying it will not make it go away, Shimmy.”

The other Sunset shut her eyes. “That doesn’t mean you need to be punished now.

“Actions have consequences.” Adagio flicked an ear at Sunset Shimmer. “Sometimes the consequences of our actions fall on someone else.”

Sunset felt a hole in her heart ache. She rubbed her chest and ventured to speak. “I didn’t mean to hurt anybody. I just want to keep people safe.”

The other Sunset cracked her back. She stood up and made her way slowly to Sunset. “Where were you?”

“Me?” Sunset swished her tail, swatting a passing fly. “What do you mean?”

Her mirror counterpart shifted as Stardust hid underneath her chest. “I looked for you for years. All I ever found was some rumors about one of Princess Celestia’s personal students. Is that where you’ve been all this time? Is that your life? What—” She wiped her eyes. “How fair is it that the time we finally meet is when you’re here to tear my family apart?”

Sunset blinked away the sting behind her eyes. She brushed her mane behind her shoulder. “I’m not here to destroy your family, Sunset. I’m not here to take your place, or send you away, or shatter the friendships you’ve built.”

She reached out and touched her mirror’s shoulder. “I think I know your story.”

The other Sunset Shimmer wrinkled her brow. “What do you—?”

“You come from a land where there isn’t much magic.” Sunset spared Adagio a look to see that the mare was smiling lightly. “What little there is, it’s hidden deep in the hearts of people. It’s a land where people walk on two legs. Everybody has fingers. It’s a land of cars, and computers, and airplanes, and baseball. You were born there. You grew up there. You lived there…”

She pressed her lips together. “You lost something there, didn’t you?”

The other Sunset opened her mouth, but didn’t say anything.

“You lost…” Sunset sighed. “I dunno. Respect? Hope? A loved one?”

“I—I lived with my grandparents.” The other Sunset rubbed her daughter’s back. “But… High blood-pressure… They got sick, and…”

“And you ran?”

“Yeah.”

“With nowhere to go, you went the only place you could go.” Sunset sat down in the dust and brought her head to her double’s eye-level. “You found a portal there.”

The other Sunset choked down phlegm. “How do you know all this?”

“Because something very similar happened to me.” Sunset drew circles in the dirt with her hoof. “I… I grew up as one of Princess Celestia’s personal students, yeah. But something happened and I didn’t trust her anymore. I wanted to get out. I found the portal by accident, but I saw it as an opportunity. I didn’t even think about it; I just jumped in. I gave up my life and found a new one.”

The clank of armor interrupted them. Two Royal Guardsponies hitched themselves to the carriage and tugged it towards the central city. Adagio gave them a wink as she vanished down the road.

“Do you miss your old life?” The other Sunset whispered.

“Sometimes…” Sunset looked out over the little countryside town. A knee-high leprechaun, his red beard standing out like fire on his green skin, tottered along, speaking with a breezie in an airy, warbling language. “Sometimes I wish I could start over and see where that road would have taken me. Sometimes I wish I could just come back and start again where I left off. Sometimes I just want to move my entire life back to Equestria—husband, son, and all…”

The other Sunset placed her hooves on Stardust’s shoulders. “Sometimes I wish I could go back. Look up old friends. Eat a cheeseburger again. Catch up on ten years’ worth of Saturday morning cartoons… And then I think about… about what I have…”

Sunset Shimmer couldn’t ignore the filly staring at her anymore. She smiled at the foal, and got a grin in return. “What do you have here?”

The other Sunset kissed Stardust’s forehead. “Obviously, I have two adorable children”

“M’not adorable!” Stardust protested.

“Are too.” Sunset’s counterpart gave her a half-smile. “I don’t think I would have survived for long without Hoops. He’d just moved here from Cloudsdale, I’d just popped in from the other world… We sorta bumped into each other and kept each other afloat.” She raised an eyebrow. “You aren’t married to the mirror-world Hoops, are you?”

Sunset gave her a tight smile. “Nope.”

“Huh. I dunno if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. At least there won’t be confusion between your Hoops and my Hoops.” The other Sunset stroked Stardust’s mane. “That means you don’t have these kids, right?”

“My son’s name is Sunny. And he’s adorable, too. Just getting into the terrible twos.” Sunset chuckled to herself. “And I have more friends than I can count. A loving husband who could definitely be home more often, but… I guess when you come down to it…”

After a moment of silence, her counterpart shrugged. “I guess it’s like the thing I think to myself whenever I want to go back. I remind myself that I couldn’t take it all with me.”

Sunset Shimmer bit her lower lip. She felt something slide down her cheek, but she couldn’t help her small smile. “The worlds we’ve found ourselves in. They’re home now.”

“Yeah.” The other Sunset looked down the street, trying to catch a glimpse of Adagio’s carriage. “It’s really home.”

She drooped, scuffing her hoof along the road. “So… you really came to find a killer? Beginning, middle, end?”

“I’m more of a liaison between the two worlds.” Sunset rubbed the back of her head. “Between the two Twilights, really. They’re doing all the heavy lifting.”

The skin around the other Sunset’s eyes grew tight. “You know Adagio isn’t the pony you’re looking for, right? There’s no way. She had her bad moments, but she’s turned it around. She hasn’t even been to the human world in the last six or so years.”

Sunset flinched. “Wait, what? What did you say?”

“Adagio isn’t the murderer.”

“No, the other thing.”

Sunset’s counterpart shrugged. “She’s lived in Fillydelphia for the last six or so years. She’s been a good friend for a long time. Really helps with the kids, what with Hoops and me working at the school all day—”

“That…” Sunset Shimmer rubbed her eyes. “That can’t be right.”

A voice hailed from behind them. “Sunset Shimmer!”

They turned simultaneously. “Yes?” “Yeah?”

Little Spike froze in his tracks, one foot in the air. He sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “Um. First of all, we’re all headed for Central Fillydelphia. Second of all, we need to give you nicknames.”

“Why?” the mirrored Sunset Shimmer asked. “I’m me and she’s her. I don’t see the problem.”

“Well,” Little Spike said, “she’s her and you’re you, but you’re also her and she’s Shimmer and…” He shook his head. “No. If I have to deal with the lame nicknames, you do, too.”

Stardust popped out from under her mother. “I just call her Momma!” She blinked. “Wait, does this mean I have two Mommas?”

Sunset Shimmer slapped her forehead, snorting out a sudden burst of laughter. Her counterpart giggled lightly.

The other Sunset gave the dragon a closer look, rubbing her chin. “You have a counterpart in the other world? Are you a human, too, or what?”

Little Spike rolled his eyes. “Well, no…”

Big Spike’s foot came down like thunder. The ground shook and sent ponies, diamond dogs, and one griffon scrambling for cover. He lowered his face towards the ground and let his tongue hang out. “Hi, there! I’m Spike, but everybody calls me Big Spike. You smell like Sunset. Are you the other Sunset?”

Sunset Shimmer stared up, up, up at the full-grown dragon. “Hi. There.”

Little Spike patted Big Spike’s toe. “Dog. I’m a dog over there.”

Stardust opened her mouth in a wide, gap-toothed smile. Her frizzy mane danced as she whirled on her mother. “Momma! Can I ride the dragon? Pleeeeeease?

***

Sunset Shimmer sat quietly beside Twilight Sparkle, awaiting their chance to interrogate Adagio. The metal chairs were cold, as were the gray walls and tiled floors. It felt as much like a jail as any Sunset had ever seen. She was sorry to say she’d seen a few.

Hoops had arrived a few minutes after they did, carrying his newborn son Dribble Drabble in a baby-carrier/saddlebags combo. He hugged the other Sunset from behind, whispering comforting words into her ear.

Twilight nudged Sunset. “That doesn’t make you feel weird, does it? Seeing your other self be all lovey-dovey with another guy?”

“At first.” Sunset tilted her head. “But you know what? We’re different people. Completely. Different lives. Different memories. Different experiences. Comparing myself to her is an exercise in nuttiness.”

“And yet, she is Sunset Shimmer.” Twilight rubbed the lenses of her glasses with the edge of her shirt. “The original human, I might add.”

“Yeah, and I’m the original pony.” Sunset rested her head against the chair’s back. “But it’s a complete reversal.”

They sat together in silence, Sunset dangling her hooves over the ground, Twilight tapping hers to a beat.

“I wanna apologize,” Twilight said.

Sunset flicked an ear. “About what?”

“Lots of things. Apologize and thank.” Twilight Sparkle slid her glasses over her eyes. She nudged them into the perfect position. “I’m sorry for my outbursts. My cussing. I’m sorry for getting mad at you…”

Her zipper jingled as she bumped it with her hoof. “I’m sorry that I was so cold when you opened your heart to me about Scootaloo. I should have said something nicer, or maybe just said nothing.”

“What I did to her was really bad,” Sunset whispered. “I don’t blame you.”

“Yeah, but that was the past. Even I, the least empathetic person on the planet, can see that you’re different now.” Twilight raised her hoof, bit her lip, and then touched Sunset’s shoulder. “I wanted to thank you for taking me here and teaching me about magic. I’ve learned and done things I could only have dreamed about. It’s too awesome for words.”

She sighed and let her leg drop. “And I’m sorry for tricking you into bringing me.”

Sunset pursed her lips in a tight frown.

“I used you,” Twilight said. “I shouldn’t have brought you to question Sonata. I had them bring you in so that you would take me to the mirror world, gimme some answers, and teach me magic.”

“Oh yeah?” Sunset scooted her chair closer. “Well, I’m sorry for holding out on you.”

One of Twilight’s eyes narrowed. “Huh?”

“I could have told you at any time, taught you at any time, taken you here at any time.” Sunset stared at the magical lamps fastened to the ceiling. “I was afraid, though. I was afraid that if I ever went back here, I wouldn’t go home. Or that I would, and it would turn sour. I was afraid that I would mess things up and confuse you, or lead you down the wrong path, or teach you something that could hurt you.

“I was so scared, and I don’t know that I had to be.” She gave Twilight a shallow grin. “As much as you suck at empathy, I suck at knowing when to share something good. We’ll work on those.”

Twilight Sparkle crossed her forelegs. “Is that one of the vaunted Friendship Lessons I keep hearing about?”

“Something like that. We keep learning things, no matter how old we get.” Sunset jerked her horn towards the embracing couple down the hall. “Speaking of which, get this: Sunset over there teaches Equish as a second language at the local university. Hoops is the PE instructor at the secondary school.”

“Well, gee,” Twilight giggled, “and you’re just the humble high school math teacher.”

“Secondary school is the high school around here, Twilight.” Sunset lifted her hoof to eye-level. “University is one step beyond.”

“Whatever. We don’t have time to go over the Equestrian education system.” Twilight rested a foreleg on Sunset’s shoulder. After a moment’s hesitation, she grabbed her in a firm hug. “I just want to make sure we’re friends again.”

Sunset returned the tight embrace. “We never stopped, Twilight. I like to think we never will.”

Twilight sniffled lightly. “Not if I have a say…”

The door beside them opened. Princess Twilight walked out, flanked by a pegasus mare wearing a cravat. “—papers all check out,” the pegasus said. “And truly, between the community service and the testimony of several townspeople, she’s irreproachable.”

The princess rolled her eyes and signed off on a sheet of paper. The pegasus took it and flew off with a nearby entourage of ponies. That was Mayor Palette. She’s unconvinced we’ll find any fault with Miss Dazzle. And I do mean any fault. Apparently, she’s so clean you could eat off her she’s practically an angel.

“Regardless, there’s evidence against her.” Twilight Sparkle hopped off her chair. “At the least, we need to dig until we get to the bottom.”

Sunset Shimmer turned to look over her shoulder. The other Sunset and her family filed into the next room, where they would wait for the interrogation to be over. Sunset mulled over whether she should say something, but they were gone before she could think of it. “You sure it’s okay that Twi and I ask the questions?”

It’s your investigation. You’ll know better than I what she did or didn’t do. Princess Twilight winked. It’ll be fine. Skyhook will be there to nail her if things go upside-down. Trust yourself.

Twilight drew herself up to her full, unimpressive height. “If it is to be us, then forward we march to victory. Sunset, are you by my side?”

Sunset Shimmer nodded. “All the way, Twilight.”

They walked into the room, which was lit by a single, bright, overhanging light. A metal table dominated the otherwise sparse room, around which sat three chairs. Adagio took her seat in one, her knees creaking with age. “Sit down,” she said. “Sit down before you fall down. Don’t stand on ceremony on my account.”

Sunset Shimmer took a chair, while Twilight Sparkle chose to stand behind her. Sunset sighed as she felt Twilight’s hooves rest comfortingly on her back.

Sunset leaned forward. “Adagio, where were you between yesterday morning and nine-o’-clock the night before?”

Adagio rested against the table, making sure that the chains around her legs made as much noise as possible. “Friday, you mean? Honestly, I was staying with Shimmy’s family. Ask any of them.” Her eyes flicked between Sunset and Twilight. “I suspect you’ve already confiscated my saddlebags and discovered the contraband therein? Shimmy and I went to the portal yesterday. We chipped a few pieces off for research. Turns out the two of us are just as eager to learn how they function.”

She stretched her forelegs out behind her head. “Doesn’t look like they work after they’ve been taken from the cave. Maybe Princess Twilight will have more luck with them.”

“We’ll be sure to make certain your stories match up,” Twilight said.

“Oh, naturally! It’s just the smart thing to do.” Adagio squinted one eye and grinned. “You’re sharper than you look.”

Skyhook coughed loudly. Adagio skewed her muzzle to one side. “Point taken,” she muttered. “Smarmy remarks to myself.”

Sunset Shimmer scribbled down the gist of what Adagio was saying. Her pen hovered over the page. “Alright. How did you find your way back to Equestria?”

Adagio’s eyes popped. She lowered her head as her brows peaked. She nibbled on the tip of her tongue before speaking. “After you destroyed our sigils, that was pretty much the end of us. No more magic. No more singing.” She tugged at her loose, wrinkly skin. “No more everlasting youth.”

Sunset sucked on her lower lip. “Time caught up with you?”

“Yeah. Two millennia of youth came crashing down in a matter of years.” Adagio gritted her teeth, straining her jaw. “And then the real problems started. You took something very precious from us, Sunset. But I’m sure you already understand what it’s like to lose everything.”

Sunset felt that tug at her heart again, but said nothing.

“Aria confided in me one cold night.” Adagio rested her mouth on her hoof. “She said that she’d found a portal years ago, but never told us. She’d gone back and lived in Equestria. I hated her for it, you know. I asked her why she didn’t come and get us, bring us back, go back to the way things were before Starswirl the Dipstick banished us…”

Adagio looked to the long, one-way mirror on the wall. “She never did tell me. All she said was that it hurt to go back. After the two of us shared a few choice words, she sent me on my way… with the location of the portal.”

She reached across the table and nudged Sunset’s paper. “Understand something, here. Even without mind-control powers, sirens are masterful manipulators. We know how to get our way.”

Adagio shuffled her chair back so that she could stand to her aching hooves. “Me, I’ve never needed anything besides the truth. The truth is a harsh thing, you know. It shatters friendships. It starts wars. If you choose just the right little snippet of truth, you can disarm a person completely.”

Sunset Shimmer tapped her pen against the page, leaving several ink splotches. Her shoulders tensed up under Twilight’s hooves.

Adagio made sure Skyhook wasn’t moving to stop her before continuing. “Remember high school? I knew all about you, Sunset. Your bullying, your foster sister, your shadowy past in Equestria. I used it all against you. A few well-placed words almost eliminated your entire defense.”

Sunset took a deep breath in. “The same tricks won’t work a second time.”

“Well, duh! I knew that!” Adagio waved a hoof as her massive, curly mane bobbed. “I don’t need to trick you, understand? I just need to tell you the truth.”

She scratched her neck where her magical necklace once hung. “Now Aria, on the other hoof, she lied right through her teeth. The truth wasn’t her tool of choice, oh no. No, she manipulated others by getting them mad.” She folded her hooves at the fetlock. “If you can get a person mad at this thing or that, well, you’ve got them completely under your control. All you have to do is get them riled up and aim.”

A gray strand of mane fell over her eyes. “After all, what better way to get me out of her life than by getting me mad, making me hate her, and leading me to bail out and decide she isn’t worth the trouble?”

Sunset sat silently, her thoughts churning but going nowhere. She laid the page gently on the table and set the pen beside it.

Adagio turned away from them. She let out a heavy breath, her shoulders hanging limp at her sides. “You… idiots!

Twilight Sparkle lit her horn, lighting up the room with purple. “Excuse me?”

“Don’t you get it yet?” Adagio stomped towards them, her chains tangling between her legs. “Don’t you see what’s right under your nose? Do I have to spell it out for you?”

Twilight bumped nosed with her. “Maybe you should! If you have this great truth, why don’t you share it with the class?”

“Sonata’s your witness, isn’t she?” Adagio spat.

Twilight Sparkle frowned. She trotted back to Sunset’s side. “Why do you say that?”

“Come on,” Adagio said. “You come tromping all the way to Equestria to track me down, dead set on me being the murderer. From how you’ve been talking, you sound like you’ve been tracking me straight from Aria’s apartment. I’ll bet Sonata told you that I killed her to find the location of the portal.” She growled Sunset’s way. “Didn’t she?”

Sunset and Twilight said nothing, the breath caught in their throat.

Didn’t she?” Adagio shouted, the veins on her neck turning purple.

Skyhook’s strong foreleg clapped over her back. “Ma’am, I’ll have to take you to a cell if you keep having outbursts.”

“Fine.” She shrugged him off with a snort. She cast a sneer Sunset’s way. “I imagine your counterpart has told you how long I’ve been in Equestria. Six years, thereabouts?”

“Thereabouts,” Sunset muttered.

“Yeah.” Adagio closed her eyes and twirled a hoof in the air. “Why in the heck would I murder Aria, my friend, to find the location of a place I’ve been living for the past few years?”

Sunset Shimmer looked her in the eye. “That’s what I’m trying to find out.”

“I know.” Adagio slumped back into her seat. “Sonata was the most devious of us all. She skirted around the truth. She avoided getting people mad entirely. What she did was far more dangerous.” She clenched her jaw in a false smile. “She made you want to believe her.”

She flicked an ear downward. “You wanted to believe her because she was cute. She was ditzy. She was always the funny one, the goofy one. How could somebody so bubbly ever do something wicked?” She rolled her shoulder back to relieve a dull pain. “She had everybody wrapped right around her pinkie finger. Everybody. Even Aria and I would fall for it sometimes.”

She slammed her hoof on the metal table. “And you idiots took a siren at their word!”

The clang echoed into nothingness. Adagio hunched over as Skyhook took a hold of her chains. “I’m not done yet, soldier boy.”

“She’s not.” Sunset Shimmer stood up and made her way to Adagio’s side of the table. “Let her be. I’ll handle it if she goes out of control.”

“Lucky for you, my magic dug its own grave.” Adagio glowered at them from beneath her eyebrows. “I’m nothing more than an old crone. No need to worry. Really.”

She looped her foreleg around Sunset’s and held her tight. “After you broke our sigils, our livelihoods, we went our separate ways. Aria set out to relearn how to sing. She wanted to be a songwriter. I think she did okay for herself. I obviously snuck back here, once Aria told me where the portal was. I think things are just peachy here. But Sonata? She went completely bonkers. You destroyed her completely, Sunset. She’s crazy, homeless, and lost in a world meaner than a manticore with constipation. Aria and I rebuilt. We moved on. She didn’t.

Adagio pulled Sunset closer, until she was able to whisper in her ear. “If Sonata lied about how long I’ve been in Equestria, what else was she lying about?”

Sunset Shimmer jerked back as she was released from Adagio’s iron grip. She staggered a few steps away and stumbled. Twilight caught her and held her close.

“I don’t get it,” Twilight muttered. “What’s going on?”

Sunset’s eyes glazed over. The breath left her chest in a rush. “The others—”

Twilight turned Sunset around and grasped her shoulders. “What about the others? What’s the matter, Sunset? Talk to me.”

Sunset blathered quietly under her breath.

Twilight touched her hoof gently to Sunset’s cheek. The adrenaline coursing through her veins lent volume and urgency to her voice. “Come on, Shimmer! Say something!”

“Oh, rut.”

It clicked in Sunset’s mind. Sonata hadn’t been told the location of the portal, but she had found out about it. So did she kill Aria in retaliation for years of lies? For keeping her from her home?

No. From the sound of it, Sonata could have gotten the location of the portal from Aria easily. She wanted something more.

Murdering Aria caught Sunset’s attention; who else would have been such an expert on Equestrians? A well-timed testimony sent her running off on a wild goose chase. With her connections, there was little doubt she could find her way back to Equestria. She would be outside the boundaries of space, in an entirely different world. She would discover the truth eventually, but that still gave Sonata plenty of time to do whatever she wanted.

Something like getting revenge.

“Rut!”

“Um…” Twilight Sparkle ventured forth a smile. “Language, Sunset.”

“The others,” Sunset gasped. She held her chest tight. “Our friends are in danger. All of them! She… Oh, God. The sirens’ gemstones… They broke when I sang.”

Sunset blinked tears from her eyes. “She did all of this to get back at me.”

Adagio Dazzle nestled into the harsh metal chair. She nodded lightly. “Now you’ve got it.”

“W—we have to go back!” Sunset tapped the one-way mirror frantically. “We have to go back right now!

***

Sonata Dusk yawned wide. She rested her fists against Pinkie Pie’s dining room table. One of her hands held the last fragment of her gemstone she’d been able to hold onto. The last shard of her mighty sigil.

The jagged edge bit into her palm, drawing blood.

Pinkie Pie bustled into the dining room. Her pajama pants swished around her skinny legs as she set a cell phone down on the tabletop. “Okay. Okay. You, um, understand why I can’t let you just stay here, right? It’s not that I don’t want you here, or that I can’t be your friend or anything. I just want to keep the kids safe.”

“Oh, sure, sure. I know you wouldn’t just turn somebody away, Pinkie.” Sonata hid her bleeding hand underneath her left palm. “You’re just too good a person for that.”

“But!” Pinkie held up a finger. “But that’s not to say you’re gonna have to stay out in the cold. I have in my circle of friends a couple of ladies who would be more than happy to take you in. You remember Rainbow Dash and Rarity, right?”

“Oh, yeah! Who could forget those two?” Sonata giggled. “‘I’m awesome as I wanna be!’”

“Yep, yep, yeppers! They have a spot for you. A nice comfy couch, I think. Or maybe a cot.” Pinkie danced on the tips of her toes. “So… You want a coffee or something?”

“Sure!” Sonata jumped up, her damp ponytail slapping against her back. “With lots of cream and sugar?”

“Is there any other kind?” Pinkie’s nervous laugh regained a little hint of sincerity. “I don’t usually drink coffee at… one-thirty at night… but this is a special occasion!”

Sonata Dusk followed Pinkie into the kitchen. The linoleum floor felt cool against her soles. “So, about how long do you think it’ll be until they get here?”

“Oh, Rainbow Dash said she’d be by in ten or twenty minutes.” The windows rattled from the force of a nearby thunder crash. Pinkie Pie winced. She reached into her cupboards to gather up the ingredients. A bag of coffee grounds chuffed at it hit the counter.

Sonata edged over to the sink. A blender sat off to the side, having been used to make several fruit and chocolate smoothies. She gripped the handle in her vice-like grip. “Ten to twenty, huh?”

Pinkie stuck her finger into the sugar and took a small taste. “Mm. Yep! The storm might slow her down a little, but nothing can stop Rainbow Dash!”

Sonata loomed behind Pinkie Pie. “I was hoping you’d say that.”

She hit the blender across the back of Pinkie’s head.

Pinkie screamed. She was able to catch herself on the countertop, but the next blow sent her to the floor. A final impact drove her into unconsciousness.

Sonata tossed the hefty appliance to the floor. A whimper drew her attention to the doorway, where a small child stared wide-eyed at the proceedings. “Hey, kid. You’re Cherry Pie, right?”

The little girl screeched and ran for the bedrooms.

Sonata Dusk sauntered out of the kitchen. She slid Pinkie’s cell phone into her pocket and looked for the stairway. “Sunny? Suuuunny! Time to wakey-wakey…”

The blood from her palm stained the handrails as she clomped up the steps. “Mommy and I have a play-date!”