• Published 20th May 2015
  • 15,556 Views, 3,255 Comments

Shifting Melodies - Thadius0



He's a unicorn accountant in service to a smuggling ring. She's a high-ranking Thestral in the Day Guard. Together, they fight crime. Too bad one of them's lying.

  • ...
73
 3,255
 15,556

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 73 - Just another day...

After Twilight and Midnight had finished meting out Scope’s pleasurable punishment, the thestral headed back downstairs after cleaning up. Sun and Cider were gone, the farm mare no doubt showing off her farm, while Spike and Ledger were chatting the day away. She smiled and trotted into the room, her hips having a slight sway to them.

“And how are my two favourite boys today?” she asked.

“Just giving Spike here a bit of a pep-talk,” Ledger said. “I’d offer him ice-cream, but I don’t think Amy stocks flavors for dragons at her store.”

“She doesn’t stock vanilla and chocolate?” Spike asked with a tilt of his head. “That’s a little weird isn’t it?”

“I thought you were going to ask for something with gems in it,” Ledger said with a sigh. “She’s got the normal stuff, sure.”

“I don’t have gems in everything,” Spike replied. “Just… most things. Besides, I think Amy would probably just make some on the spot anyway. She reminds me waaaay too much of Pinkie Pie.”

“I hear that,” Midnight nodded as she flopped on Ledger. “Aww, and our walk was totally ruined as well. Sad Middy is Sad.”

“At least we found a few things before your family came along,” Ledger replied. “And I’d like to imagine there are at least some limits to what Amy can do. The thought of there not being any is too terrifying.”

“Ohh, I have an idea!” Midnight said with a wide smile. “Wanna see what happens when you give her coffee liqueur?”

“Alcoholic coffee?” Spike blinked. “That’s a thing?”

“Yes, and no, we’re not giving any to Amy,” Ledger said firmly. “It was bad enough when she had coffee and alcohol separately.”

“So imagine if she had both!” Midnight cackled at the chaos that would be unleashed.

Elsewhere, a certain Draconequus felt rather proud for some reason, then realised why when he read through the script. Hehehe, time for a little trip to the City of Sin~

“So what’s bumming you Spike-O?” Midnight said as she got up off of Ledger and moved over to the dragon, but said dragon just blushed and looked away.

“His crush crushed him,” Ledger replied. “Poor drake’s sworn off love as a result.”

“Wow, thanks bro,” Spike said in a flat tone, then yelped as Midnight pulled him into a scale-crushing hug.

“Aww, you poor little guy,” she cooed, nuzzling him. “Don’t worry, Middy’s here to make you feel better.”

“And did you honestly think you were going to hide it from anypony anyways?” Ledger asked. “I’m pretty sure even a non-changeling would be able to pick up on your emotional state, as Midnight just demonstrated.”

“Dude, whatever, just help me out here!” he said, trying to escape the death cuddles. Midnight giggled and snuggled him again, causing the dragon to groan in defeat.

“Having fun down here?” Twilight asked, trotting down the stairs. “And do be careful with my assistant Midnight, he’s rather dear to me.”

“I’m pretty sure she’ll stop short of suffocating him...maybe,” Ledger said as he sat back to watch. “Might take her a while, though.”

“Meh, Spike’s a tough guy,” Twilight giggled as she settled in next to Ledger on the couch. “So… Scope wants me to marry you guys huh. Well, mostly her, but she said you lot are a package deal.”

“You must have made quite the impression on her,” Ledger said. “What are your thoughts?”

“Honestly?” Twilight answered. “I… I’ve been thinking about it, and the more time I spend with you guys, the more I’d like to… It’s just, I still haven't known you long. It hasn’t even been a month. Should I really jump right into marriage like that?”

“Honestly, probably not. But you’re a princess, if you think you’d like to join in on our wedding day, nopony will stop you. Likewise, I don’t think anypony besides Scope will complain too much if you decide you want to sit it out until later,” Ledger said as he watched the drake continue to get snuggled.

“I guess we’ll see,” Twilight replied. “Besides, even after you all get married, I don’t intend to go anywhere. Unless you want me to that is.”

Spike yelped again and a quick look from Ledger told him why. Midnight had grabbed the drake and was divebombing the snuggling couple on the couch.

“Cuddle Pile!” the insane bat pony yelled as she moved to tackle them with a mad giggle.

“Yipe!” Ledger said as he braced for impact. Twilight reflexively threw up a shield, the result was Midnight smacking against it… and slowly slid down the shield before falling on the floor. It took a second for the alicorn to realise what she’d done and gasped.

“Um… you okay Middy?” Twilight asked.

“Not...cool…” the bat groaned. “Level Ledger… avenge meeeee~”

“Well, you heard the mare,” Ledger said as he fired up his magic and began tickling the alicorn with it.

“Eeeaaahahahahahaa!” Twilight shrieked and countered with her own magic. Luckily, she had a spell she’d used recently and her tickle-addled mind could call upon it without much concentration.

Unfortunately, it was that spell that Scope liked oh-so-much, the one that touched the holes in her hooves…

Ledger squeaked, feeling incredibly aroused from what the alicorn had done to him, reflexively cutting his magic out of confusion. “Uh...Twi, maaaaybe not in front of Spike,” he said.

Twilight paused and blinked before she realised what spell she’d cast and blushed deeply. “Eheh, whoops?”

Midnight groaned and picked herself up, a purple dragon squashed under her. “Hugs are not supposed to be painful,” she groaned. “Urgh, well, whatever. I have a thing to do. So Imma bounce for a bit okay?”

“Sounds good,” Ledger said as he moved to check on Spike after making sure he wasn’t...showing. “You okay bro?”

“Urgh,” he grunted, mirroring Midnight's reaction. “One should not test the strength of a shield by body-checking it.”

“I said I was sorry!” Twilight moaned.

“Yeah, I know,” Spike chuckled as he picked himself up and dusted his scales off. “I think I might go with Midnight, get some fresh air.”

“Yeah, that’s fine with me,” Midnight replied. Ledger nodded and stood back, taking his place next to Twilight again. Midnight gave each of them a kiss, then giggled as she kissed Spike on the cheek as well, the dragon rolling his eyes and wiping it off.

“Really?” he deadpanned.

“I didn’t want you to feel left out,” Midnight giggled as she headed for the door. The two soon left, leaving Twilight alone with Ledger.

The alicorn smirked and looked at him. “Now,” she hummed and licked her lips. “Where was I~?”


Midnight trotted down a few side alleys and streets, taking every shortcut she knew to get to Fredrick’s restaurant.

“So where are we going anyway?” Spike asked, reclining on her back.

“You’ll see in a minute,” the bat replied. She stopped outside and took a breath, before walking in just as a serving colt was about to close up shop for the evening.

“Um, sorry Ma’am but—”

“Don’t worry, just here to see Freddy for a bit,” she nodded and passed him by, leaving him with a dumbfounded expression on his face. She walked further inside, only to see another waiter tidying the tables, but no griffon…

“Hmm, excuse me cutie,” she asked the colt. “You seen a big bird around these parts?”

“He’s currently tidying up for later tonight,” the colt said as he finished one table and moved to another. “Something about visiting Narrow at her place.”

“Ahh, perfect~” she giggled and looked upstairs. He must be up there. She winked at the colt in a way that ensured his dreams would be… interesting tonight and headed up the flight of stairs. She’d never been up here before…

It didn’t take long to find the griffon humming to himself in a mirror as he straightened a few feathers.

“You know, I’d make a joke about birds and preening in a mirror…” she hummed from the doorway, “but it would be too easy~”

“Midnight!” the griffon said, turning to look at her. “If you came for dinner or even dessert, I am sorry to say you are far too late.”

“Nah, I already had my fill,” Midnight said, not moving from the door. “But, I actually came to see you and Narrow about something important.”

“Oh?” the griffon asked as he gave himself a quick look over. “Well, if you are willing to accompany me to her place, I don’t see why you can’t come along and ask your question there.”

“That’s the plan,” she nodded. Spike peered from over her shoulder and the bat turned. “Oh, I have a guest as well. Hope you don’t mind.”

“Sup?” Spike waved.

“And a drake as well?” The griffon asked with a tilt of his head. “Midnight, I do hope this isn’t the second male Ledger talked about you adding, he seems rather young yet…”

Both Midnight and Spike stared at him, before Midnight replied in the flattest tone possible…

“Yes, oh my Celestia yes. I love Spike so much. He is my everything!”

Spike grinned and hopped off her back, taking one of her hooves in his claw. “Oh my dear Midnight, I was lost in the dark, until I found your light.” The two had a dramatic hug and Fredrick could swear he could hear some cheesy violin music.

“Very well,” Fredrick said as he moved to leave. “I see you two have this all wrapped up, then. So I’ll just go off to Narrow while you have a moment in my restaurant. Just don’t forget to clean up after yourselves.”

“Clean up?” Spike asked. “Why… oh?”

“Fredrick, you’re a real dodo sometimes,” Midnight huffed as she followed him. “But now I get to tell Narrow on you.”

“And I’m sure she’ll come up with an appropriate punishment for my little misdeed,” Fredrick said as the three of them finally left his home and place of business, passing by the same colt Midnight had slipped by on her way in. She turned and smiled at him, before following Fredrick with a hypnotic sway of her hips. The colt gulped and went back to locking up. Tonight was gonna be...interesting for him.

“So, might I ask your name then, young dragon?” Fredrick asked of their tailing companion.

“Sure, my name’s Spike. I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle’s number one assistant and currently out and about while she and Ledger make googoo eyes at one another.”

“Oh, I think they’re doing a lot more than that,” Midnight giggled, then realized who she’d said that to and swore under her breath.

“Ergh, I do not need to know that,” Spike gagged.

“It’s a perfectly natural thing,” Fredrick chuckled. “But what could the assistant of Twilight Sparkle need my help with?”

“Nothing, I don’t even know who you are,” Spike said. “I’m just tagging along with Midnight… but, if you have any romance tips, then I’ll gladly take them… why is Midnight laughing?”

“Oh dear,” Fredrick said before dropping back to pick the drake up and put him on his back. “Gaze upon the city, Sir Spike. Long and hard. Look at all of it, filled with ponies.” He waited for Spike’s reply that he’d done that before dropping his little world-breaking statement.

“Yeah… it has ponies… most places in Equestria do,” Spike snarked.

“If you see a mare pass us by, the odds are good I’ve bedded her,” Fredrick said. “I do believe I slept with most of the mares of Las Pegasus.”

“...Aaaand that’s why Midnight is still laughing,” Spike said. “Wait!” he looked at the bat horse. “Does that mean you and her…”

“She’s the one that got away,” Fredrick sighed dramatically. “She got involved with Ledger before I could try my luck with her, and the few rules I have don’t permit me to get involved with involved mares. Far more trouble than it’s worth.”

“Hey, I offered when Ledger and I weren’t a thing… well, much of a thing… and now,” She smirked and leaned in close. “You will never know~”

“Nor will you know of the skill I possess,” Fredrick teased back. “There is a reason so many came back after the first time~”

Spike looked from Fredrick to Midnight and then shrugged. He figured it was best to leave this the hay alone. “So uh, weren’t we going to do a thing?” he asked, reminding them of their task.

“Still on my way, good drake,” the griffon said as he pointed to a building. “My darling Narrow lives just there.”

“Ahh,” he nodded and Midnight giggled. This would be the first time she’d seen the Captain’s place as well. Tonight was full of fun surprises.

Once they arrived and knocked on the door, nopony answered for a moment, until the door opened of its own accord, Fredrick seeing Narrow’s magic around the handle.

“I do hope you’re not planning on jumping me the second I come inside,” Fredrick said before stepping so much as one foot inside her apartment. “I brought a few tag-alongs that say they need our advice, and last I knew, you weren’t into putting on a show.”

There was no response, and the apartment was empty save for a few half-eaten rations on the table that Spike sniffed at and grimaced.

“Urgh, who eats this stuff?” he recoiled. “That… cannot be healthy.”

“Oh dear Narrow,” Fredrick sighed as he moved to the kitchen to grab her trash bin. “You really need to just ask me to cook for you. It’s far more romantic than rations anyways.”

There was a splash from another room, before the door swung open and Narrow Gaze stepped out, a towel around her dripping from as steam rose from her lithe body. Her wet coat also made some of her scars visible as well.

“What the hell are you muttering about?” she asked, rubbing her mane with a second towel.

“Wondering why you intentionally make yourself suffer with subpar ‘foodstuff’ like this,” Fredrick said as he dragged the trashbin over and started putting her strewn-about rations into it.

“I was still eating that,” Narrow responded as Spike had already moved to her kitchen, finding a hoofstool to stand on and put a pot of water to boil.

“I will not let this culinary disaster stand,” he declared. He held out a claw. “Fredrick. Salt!”

“Salt!” Fredrick replied as he fetched it from one of her cabinets. He’d made sure she was stocked up on foodstuffs and materials to make proper foodstuffs the last time he came here.

Spike sprinkled a pinch in the pot of bubbling water, heated by his dragon flame. “Pasta!”

“What sort?” Fredrick replied as he opened a cabinet. Yes, premade stuff was inferior to making it yourself, fresh...but he needed something that wouldn’t go bad at the time.

“Hmm,” Spike tapped his chin and then he snapped his claws. “Linguini. I have an idea~”

“Got it,” Fredrick said as he passed the box over. Spike took enough for them and placed in the pot of water before looking around and seeing a suitable pan hanging from a rack.

“Do you have any frozen fish in the freezer?”

“I think I put one in there?” Fredrick said as he checked. “Yup, a tuna.”

“Perfect~” Spike said. “Think you could prep that for pan frying? I have vegetables to slice and dice.”

“My dear drake,” Fredrick said as he pulled the frozen fish out. “You are talking to the Fredrick. I do more than just woo mares. I cook as well!” With that, he pulled the pan down and began preparing the fish. He’d had the foresight to gut and clean it when he got it, but it would still need a few spices before he could call it ready for the pan.

“Excellent,” Spike nodded as he peeled and sliced vegetable with his sharp claws. “So I’m thinking a fish and pasta alfredo with white sauce. Sound good?”

Over all the noise, Midnight’s stomach gave a loud gurgle in agreement.

“That sounds splendid,” the griffon agreed. “Will you be handling the sauce, or I?” The fish was ready for the pan now.

“Hmm, well I can do that if you wanna keep babysitting that fish,” Spike said.

In the meantime, Narrow sat near Midnight as the thestral stole looks at the wet-maned unicorn. While she held no feelings for the mare, she could certainly appreciate when a pony was attractive or not.

“Not the one I wanted attention from… guess I’ll take what I can get,” Narrow sighed. “So what are you even doing here anyway Midnight.” She suddenly smirked and looked at Fredrick.

“I thought I said I wasn’t that kind of mare Freddie. Or were you up for some variety?”

“The pair of them came for something other than that, believe it or not,” Fredrick said as he got some ingredients for the white sauce out. “Whoop, I have to tend my fish now.” With that, the griffon went back to making sure the fish wasn’t burned.

“Huh, who’d have thought it?” Narrow shrugged and decided since Fredrick was now busy, she go and get dried off before she got a cold.

“Yep, believe it or not, other thoughts do cross my mind,” Midnight nodded.

“Yeah, they like to wave as they pass by,” Spike chuckled and Midnight sat there with an open jaw. She just got burned by a kiddie dragon…

“My word, you’re quite good at wordplay,” Fredrick said as he finally got the last of the ingredients for the white sauce out. “Aaaaand flip the fish. I suppose you really will have to handle the sauce, Spike.”

“Already on it,” he said as he melted the butter and mixed the flour, milk and salt. “And Midnight could be good at wordplay as well, but she’s usually busy playing with something else.”

“Oh come on!” Midnight threw her hooves up and groaned.

“Is that what you tell Ledger to do?” Fredrick quipped as he didn’t look up from his pan.

“I hate you all,” Midnight pouted. “Captain, they’re picking on meeee~”

“Suck it up… oh wait, does he tell you to do that too?” Narrow called out.

“And the theme for tonight is romantic dinner, peppered with corny humor,” Fredrick joked.

“And spiced with the brutal murder of three individuals,” Midnight pouted as Spike laughed and added some parmesan cheese and garlic salt to the sauce once it thickened.

“Okay, all that’s left is to mix it all together,” Spike nodded. “Also, sorry Middy, but it is pretty funny.”

“Yeah, yeah,” the bat sighed, waving a hoof. “I knew it was a mistake in dragon you along with me. You and Fredrick are like birds of a feather.”

“You must be desperate if you’re resorting to puns,” the griffon observed as he pulled the fish off the heat. “Hmm, we’ll need to drain that…” With a bit of rummaging, the griffon produced a colander from a cabinet and placed it in the sink for Spike to drain the pasta with.

“Yeah, I used to be funny… then Ledger’s cynicism rubbed off on me,” Midnight pouted as Spike picked up the pot and carried it over to the sink, holding the boiling thing with his bare claws as he poured the pasta out.

“Being fireproof must be handy,” the griffon observed.

“Yup, never need oven mitts,” Spike nodded. “I wonder if I could cook using lava…”

“That sounds like an idea even I think is a bad one,” Midnight replied and Spike shuddered. There was a common phrase in Ponyville. If Rainbow Dash wouldn’t do it, it was a really bad idea.

“Noted, I’ll stick with an oven,” Spike chuckled as he lifted the pasta and filled four plates with it. “Now we dice the fish and mix it with the veggies and sauce.”

“Dicing,” Fredrick replied as he gently slid the fish out of the pan and onto a cutting board, before pulling a knife out of a knife block and starting on that.

“So…” Narrow walked out, her mane done up in a bun and her tail was braided. “What did you come here for rookie? I highly doubt it was to cook dinner.”

“No, that is a delicious coincidence,” Midnight nodded. “I have something I want to ask you and Fredrick, but it can wait until he’s not busy… or holding sharp knives.”

“And done!” the griffon said as he presented the drake with the fish. Spike nodded as he added it to the pot, stirring the fish and veggies through the sauce before taking a ladle and spooning it over the pasta.

“Okay, I think that about does it,” Spike beamed.

“Tuna alfredo served over linguini,” Fredrick agreed with a nod. “This is a fine dish, sir Spike.”

“Many thanks for your assistance Sir Fredrick,” Spike nodded. “It’s nice to cook with somepony who actually can.”

“Ah, hear that Madame Song? It would appear you and Twilight should never enter a kitchen together,” Fredrick joked. “The poor thing would probably try to commit suicide if you did.”

“It’s not my fault that kitchens spontaneously combust when I’m in them,” Midnight pouted, folding her legs as Narrow fetched some wine. “Purely coincidence.”

“...Spike, make a note that Midnight should not be allowed in any kitchens you own,” Fredrick said to the dragon. “At least, if you like that kitchen.”

“Noted,” Spike nodded as they took a seat at the table. “Oh, why don’t you ask them before we eat, get it out of the way.”

“I guess so,” Midnight replied. She took a breath and exhaled, before looking at the couple. “Okay… so you guys know that I’m having a foal right?”

“I believe the topic has come up before, yes,” Fredrick replied. “What of it?”

“W-Well,” Midnight said, rubbing the tips of her hooves together nervously. “I’d uh… I’d be really honoured… if you’d be the tyke’s godparents.”

Fredrick blinked a few times before looking over to Narrow, wondering what her reaction would be. She looked equally as confused. It was sure as hell something she wasn’t expecting.

“You, sure about that rookie?” she asked. “We’re hardly model parents ourselves.”

“Maybe,” Midnight giggled. “But I trust you guys more than anypony else.”

Narrow nodded and looked at Fredrick. “Well loverbird? What do you think?”

“I think,” Fredrick said as he reached across the table to gently hold one of her hooves with his claws. “That I would be honored to be a godparent to Ledger’s foal, as long as it was with you.”

“Well, there you have it,” Narrow nodded and gave Midnight a small smile. “Don’t think this means I’m gonna spoil the brat though. It’s gonna be tough love from me.”

“I figured as much,” Midnight giggled. “Trust me, he or she is gonna get plenty spoiled as is. I need a tough godmom to balance that out.” She looked at Fredrick and smiled. “And a caring father figure that I know will be there for ‘em. Ledger’s gonna be outnumbered in that department.”

“Indeed he will be. Have you all told him how lucky he is yet?” Fredrick asked Midnight as he picked up his fork to begin eating dinner with.

“I’m pretty sure he knows.” Midnight responded as she ate some pasta, her ears giving a happy wiggle. “Mmmm, this is yummy~”

“I try,” Spike nodded and sipped at the wine Narrow had accidently served him, before he exhaled a small blue flame.

“Oh my,” Fredrick said, before looking at the drake. “Are you all right?”

“Yup,” Spike nodded. “Oh, I can’t actually get drunk or anything. Twilight says my internal body temperature is so high, it just burns off all the alcohol before it gets into my system. Turns my fire blue for a bit though.”

“Ah, just, do take care inside Narrow’s home,” Fredrick said as he munched on the fruit, well, pasta of their labors.

“I used to live in a tree that was full of books and eighty percent of the furniture was wood,” Spike replied as he ate. “I know a thing or two about not setting a place on fire…” He turned and looked at Midnight with a wide smirk.

“Oh. My. Celestia!” Midnight exclaimed. “You set a kitchen on fire a few dozen times and NOPONY let’s you forget it.”

“How did you survive before you met Ledger?” Fredrick asked.

“I ate a lot of takeout… or slept with ones that could cook,” Midnight admitted unashamedly. Fredrick snorted in amusement as he ate. Once his mouth was clear, he commented on that answer.

“You sound like some of the mares I used to know,” he said. “Sleeping with me because of the food.”

“Hah, if I’d met you any sooner, I have no doubt I’d be in Narrows spot right now…” Midnight looked at the unamused unicorn. “Eheh, hypothetically speaking.”

“The world may never know,” Fredrick said with a smirk. “Ah well. At least Narrow is mare enough to reign me in.”

“Not with a good deal of effort and luck mind you,” Narrow said as she ate her pasta. “I still don’t know how I did it somedays.”

“Nor I, but I blame your cloning spell,” Fredrick said, spearing another piece of pasta and munching on it.

“Heh, so Luna’s spell really paid off huh?” Midnight giggled as she licked her plate clean. “Makes me wonder what other tricks our Princesses have up their immortal sleeves.”

“Some days, I really do envy all those stallions that get to find out,” Fredrick replied, before gently pecking Narrow’s cheek. “But then I remember, I already have a heckuva mare.”

“Eh, you’re entitled to window shop,” Narrow shrugged. “It’s who you are after all. But thanks for the thought none-the-less.” She leaned over and returned his kiss as Midnight cooed and Spike just rolled his eyes.

“And how would I go about finding out?” Fredrick questioned. “Twilight is seeing my friend Ledger, so she’s out. Luna is seeing my old apprentice, so she’s out. And Cadence is married, so no go there. The only reasonable chance for me would be to try to attract Celestia’s eye somehow, and I hardly think she would be interested in me. I’ll stick with what I have, thank you very much.”

“Actually, hooves up on who’d wanna see Fredrick try and seduce Princess Celestia,” Midnight said as she raised a hoof. Narrow joined her and giggled at Fredrick’s incredulous stare.

“What? It’d be funny.”

“Judging by how Twilight ate three burgers by herself when she last visited,” Fredrick mused. “Perhaps all I would need to do is cook her a five-course meal.”

“Sooo, a way to a princess’s heart is through her stomach?” Midnight questioned, wondering why she hadn’t tried that with Luna and Celestia.

“Eh, it’d probably work actually,” Spike spoke up. He had spent years living with most of them after all. “Celestia really likes sweets and stuff. She also has a thing for banana bread.”

“I’ll make a note of it,” Fredrick said. “Unfortunately, while I have a good mind for what’d work as a dessert, I myself am terrible at actually making them. But I have come across a new cookie recipe lately...Perhaps a small package, preserved with magic and sent to the princess of the sun?”

“Fredrick, I love you, but I am still not sharing you with my boss,” Narrow said with a light chuckle. “Because the way our luck runs around here, that would actually succeed.”

“I’m confused; would that be a good or a bad thing?” the griffon asked with a chuckle.

“Both?” Narrow shrugged. “Yeah, on second thought, no flirting with Celestia.”

“Very well,” Fredrick said with a dramatic sigh. “Though, perhaps I will give the idea to my apprentice that bakes sweets...he has been complaining so about Scales attracting Luna…”

“I swear, if I read about a kidnapping in the near future…” Narrow warned.

“Hah, what are the odds that that happening?” Midnight giggled and drained her wineglass. “So, you guys are certain about the whole godparent thing?”

“If you’re certain about asking us to be one,” Fredrick said as he finished off his dinner as well...before one wing snuck around Spike’s form and drew him close. “And I suppose I can educate this young one on the ways of how to properly woo a mare while he is here.”

“Really?” Spike asked and Midnight blinked. Was that… a good idea?

Ahh, what could go wrong?

“Sure, how about I drop him off at your restaurant tomorrow?” the bat said.

“I can hit most of the major points that I typically drill into my apprentices fairly quickly,” the griffon nodded. “I can have him done in an afternoon. Though it will be up to others to make sure he remembers the teachings.”

“I’ll do my best Master Fredrick!” Spike saluted. The griffon chuckled and rubbed the little dragon’s head before letting him go.

“Ah, but you have a family to be getting back to tonight, do you not?” Fredrick asked.

“Dang,” Spike nodded. “Yeah. Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

Midnight giggled as she drained his wine glass as well and licked her lips. “Thanks for the grub guys. But we should jet and leave these lovebirds alone.”

“Yup, have fun guys!” Spike waved and the duo left.

“Well,” Narrow said as she levitated the dishes to the sink. “That was certainly an event and a half.”

“Indeed, it seems I’ll be gaining a new apprentice for a short while,” Fredrick said as he moved back to the kitchen, to get a start on the dishes. “One can only hope he will not misuse my teachings, or at least remember the ones about honor as well as the others.”

“Sooo, don’t become your brother?” Narrow asked, idly wondering where that griffon was skulking around these days.

“The world only needs one of him,” Fredrick agreed. “I think the last time he bothered checking in was a day or so ago...mentioned something about finding the best nightclub ever.”

“Oooh, that can’t be good,” Narrow shuddered. She had a feeling she knew exactly which club he was talking about. “Well, I did leave his balls bluer than Celestia’s sky last time we met… so that should have been fun for him.”

“And whoever he was with,” the griffon agreed as he continued cleaning. “Still, perhaps I should trawl through the strip someday in the near future, see if he can be...extracted from wherever he’s found himself.”

“Good luck with that,” Narrow chuckled. “Though, I wonder if he knows that they’re all Changelings there~”

“Oooooh dear,” Fredrick said, shaking his head. “That promises to be...problematic. I don’t think they’ll want to let him go…”

“Probably not, given their Colour,” Narrow said with a laugh. She got up and nuzzled up next to the griffon, her new pegasus-brand shampoo made her smell like fresh rainclouds. “Sooo, do you wanna pay me a little attention now~?”

“Mmm, I doooo,” Fredrick murred as he nuzzled her back. “Buuut, somepony has to do the dishes.”

Narrow groaned, first Midnight, now dishes? Everything was getting in her way.

~*~*~

Once Midnight and Spike arrived home, the two had just finished a riveting musical number.

"Whew, that was a lot of fun!" Spike laughed as they walked inside. "You're a great singer Midnight."

"Well it is my special talent," the bat responded. "Yo Levvy, you home?"

“Just in here,” Ledger said as he sat on the cuddlecouch, flipping through his book. Well he was until a certain bat flopped on him, giggling as she kissed his nose.

“And hello to you too,” Ledger said as he returned the kiss. “I’d ask where you’ve been, but I’d rather not argue with the results,” the drone said before looking over at the drake.

"We went to visit a griffon named Fredrick," Spike explained. "He's going to teach me about 'wooing a lady' as he put it."

“Oh dear,” Ledger said, before looking at Midnight. “And you’re going to take those teachings and add your own twist to them, aren’t you?”

"Spike-O will be swimming in mares by the time we're done with him," Midnight giggled. "Also... I asked Fred and the Captain if they'd be godparents for Fetus here."

“Mm...I wouldn’t have asked anypony else myself,” Ledger said as he gave Midnight another kiss. The stallion then looked at Spike and smirked. “So, you’re going to be learning from Fredrick what so many stallions spend years trying to learn? My sympathies.”

Spike tilted his head and blinked. "Um... come again?"

“That griffon takes on apprentices and makes them bus tables and cook for him while they try to learn how he got to be the Playbird of Las Pegasus,” Ledger explained. “Only when they can recite his rules back to him, does he teach them any of his tricks.”

"Hey Ledger, who do I assist again?" Spike replied with a knowing smirk.

“You have that going for you,” the drone agreed. “But he’s graduated about...five stallions from his teachings in the year I’ve been here.”

"Well, then I'll be the first dragon then!" Spike said with a confident smile.

"Atta boy!" Midnight grinned.

"Do I want to know?" Twilight asked as she trotted into the room.

“Maybe,” Ledger said as he patted the couch next to him. “I can definitely see you blaming us for this in the near future.”

"Oh wonderful," Twilight sighed. "Well, Cider and I are going out. So you're all on your own for dinner tonight."

"Meh, we already ate," Spike said and Midnight nodded.

“Ah, well, I can get my own dinner then, and test out something we found for myself,” Ledger said as he closed up his book. “Can I trust you two to not demolish the house while I do that?”

"Can do... I guess," Midnight shrugged. Ledger chuckled and looked over at Spike.

“You’re in charge, then,” Ledger told him. “Good luck.”

Midnight smiled as the dragon gulped and looked at Twilight for help, but the mare had already vanished.

"Aww crud," Spike sighed as Midnight's eyes danced with mischief. This was going to be a loooong night.


Princess Celestia sighed as she relaxed in her bed. She closed her eyes for a few moments, before remembering a package that had come today. After it had been deemed safe by her guards, she opened it to reveal a selection of mouth-watering sweets.

She lifted one in her magic and turned it over a few times, scanning for poisons or latent spells, but once those turned up negative, she smiled and popped the treat into her mouth...

...

...

By the sun! These were amazing! She glanced at the package, and while it didn't possess a name, it did have a return address. The alicorn smiled to herself as she idly munched on the treats. She would get Luna to run court tomorrow.

Princess Celestia had a small errand to run~

Author's Note:

Nothing ominous going on here, no siree.

Like the story? Consider dropping me and Aus a dollar on my Patreon. It's always appreciated.

Half the money will not go towards a town filled with Perfect Fruit.

PreviousChapters Next