• Published 10th Oct 2015
  • 2,864 Views, 110 Comments

BLITZ - The Commandant



Two opposing soldiers on two different fronts must fight for their survival in a war they did not wish to be in.

  • ...
16
 110
 2,864

Chapter 13 - Brismane

Four Days Later

"Stay behind the tanks! Don't wander! Stay behind them, and stay close! Your lives depend on it!"

All at once, tank engines began to turn over, while many of the infantry began to take cover behind their metal friends, including my squad. Soon after, the armored column began to advance, leaving the cover of the Forrest surrounding Brismane.

Our aircraft began their attack on the small city, their guns blazing down on enemy positions, while attackers dropped their bombs. The T-4 tanks began to fire away, their rounds pounding the enemy's positions like a hammer on wood.

The Equestrians however, responded in kind.

Their guns were firing as much as ours, trying to knock out as many of our tanks as they could. Some of our infantry were unfortunate enough to have been hit by the arced artillery shells, which blew some of those men to pieces. Literally.

Magic spells and bullets were bouncing off the armor of the T-4 we were following, a few barely missing me. We were crouched low, so it was hard to stay behind the fast-moving T-4, which was getting closer to the city by the minute.

"How much longer do we have to walk like this, sir?" Zachary yelled.

"Maybe three more minutes! I don't know!" I yelled back through the carnage all around us.

Then the T-4's main machine gun began to fire at something I couldn't see, it was probably at some enemy infantry.

BOOM!

The tank to the right of us exploded, derailing its turret and sending a huge flame out of the turret ring. The infantry behind it were knocked over, exposing some of them to enemy fire. Most of them managed to recover quickly enough to get back behind the tank, while others weren't so lucky. We couldn't help them, even if we wanted to, it was just too dangerous.

We kept moving forward, trying to push past the Equestrian lines and get into Brismane. Thankfully, we had the element of surprise on our side, so breaking their lines would be easier.

I could see the buildings getting closer as we approached Brismane's perimeter defenses, which were small and spread thin, as the recon photographs had suggested before. When our tank managed to cross one of the trenches in its path, we jumped in it and began our attack. Several ponies fled us, attempting to get out of there alive, but I wasn't about to let that happen. I raised my AR at a small group of fleeing ponies, and began to "spray and pray". Two out of three ponies fell as the .36 rounds went straight through their armor, killing them almost instantly.

One pony was brave enough to try and attack me in close quarters, so as soon as I saw her coming, I spun around and attempted to bash her with the butt of the Attack Rifle. The melee attack barely dented her helmet, but it phased her long enough for me to put the AR to her head and fire a short burst, which ran the magazine dry. I threw the empty magazine away and pulled out a full one from one of my magazine pouches.

"Guys! Follow me!" I yelled to my squad.

Once everyone was gathered around me, we advanced further into the trench system, killing anyone in our path. We eventually came upon an Equestrian howitzer that was giving some of our tanks a migraine.

"Anthony, take the left flank with nine guys, while I take the right flank with the rest of the guys. Go!" I said, moving stealthily around the howitzer.

"Get the next round loaded. Hurry!" One of the ponies yelled.

"Yes Sergeant!" The other ponies responded, picking up a 102mm round and loading it into the breech.

I took out a pineapple, pulled the pin, and waited for the opportune moment to lob the explosive. When the ponies were facing away from me, I stood up and threw the grenade, then immediately crouched back down.

Okay, let's get the countdown right this time...

1...

BOOM!

...

Dammit.

The grenade exploded, ripping one of the pony's legs to pieces, sending gore all over the howitzer. Pieces of shrapnel seemed to have severely injured the other two ponies, the sergeant taking most of the damage.

"Okay, let's take out this thing!" I yelled, climbing out of the trench and running up to the howitzer. "Who has the explosives?"

"I do, sir!" Bill replied, climbing out of the trench as well.

"Bring them here!" I yelled.

Bill handed me the explosives required to knock out one of these howitzers, and I began to place them on the howitzer.

BAM!

"Gah! Shit!" Bill yelled, falling to the ground. "I'm hit!"

"BILL!" I yelled, looking around for the shooter.

I noticed that the equine Sergeant who was injured by the pineapple was weakly holding a pistol, and had shot at Bill.

"B-buck you..." The pony grunted.

The pony then aimed the pistol at me, only to have it jam at the worst moment. His eyes shot open in fear as I quickly pointed my AR towards him, and fired a short burst, two rounds hitting him square in the forehead. I turned to face Bill and ran over to him, looking for the entry wound.

"Bill, where were you hit?" I asked in a panicked tone.

"Here." He grunted, pointing to his waist.

Luckily, the bullet had only hit the very edge of his waist, leaving a large, but not serious laceration.

I sighed.

"Bill, you'll be fine. The bullet just grazed your waist." I said, giving another sigh of relief. "You'll live."

"Yeah, still hurts like shit..." He grunted, clutching his waist.

"It looks like it does. TAYLOR!" I yelled.

"Wait," He grunted. "we still gotta blow up that howitzer."

"Yeah... we do." I said. "Did you set any timers for the detonation?"

"There in my bag." He replied, slowly taking off his backpack. "Here."

"You need me, sir?" Taylor said, running up to me.

"Yeah, drag Bill back into the trench and patch him up, I'll take care of this howitzer." I said. "Go, hurry!"

"Alright sir!" He replied, getting Bill back up on his feet and walking him back to the trench.

I hastily connected all the explosives to the timer, while trying to remember as much of the EEH (Explosive Equipment Handling) course I took during basic. I set the timer to thirty seconds, enough time for me to get out of there and into the trench.

Okay...

Set!

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, jumping into the trench and hitting the wall of it, getting dirt all over the left side of my jacket.

I covered my ears, waiting for a huge explosion to happen, like the ones in the Michael Bay films.

BOOOM!

A large flash popped out from under the howitzer, followed by massive amounts of dirt being cast into the air. Pieces of the howitzer flew into the air, and then towards the ground. What ever was left of the ponies by the howitzer was surely vaporized, because all that was left was a good-sized crater with some pieces of metal scattered everywhere inside of it.

"Not the Michael Bay explosion I was hoping for, but it'll do." I said to myself. "Okay, let's move out!"


"How many were in there?"

"About sixteen, sir."

"Alright, thanks. We'll take care of them."

I carefully walked inside of a large building, it's interior resembling that of a museum, both in size and decoration. It had a stairwell in the middle of the room, which led up to a balcony that connected to the second floor. I scanned the room, looking for any signs of enemies within the immediate vicinity.

I saw some overturned tables scattered around that could provide some light protection, if any. After studying the room carefully, I decided it was time to engage my improvised plan.

"Come on, guys!" I said, gesturing my squad over to me.

One by one, my men got into the positions I assigned them, preparing for an Equestrian attack at any moment. I took George, Welder, Steven, and Ethan with me to check out the second story to see if the Equestrians were hiding up there. If they were up there, we would lure them out into the lobby.

My detail began walking up the steps of the stairs, our weapons raised and ready to engage any enemy we come across. When we got to the second floor, I looked at the walls of the hallway we were walking through, seeing all kinds of paintings and pictures hung up there.

Some of the paintings were a little... suggestive.

"They hang art like that up in museums?" Ethan asked. "I feel bad for the kids that have to go on field trips."

"I don't know much about a pony's anatomy, but I'm pretty sure that's not what a-"

"Quiet! I hear something!" I whispered, hushing Welder.

We were silent for what seemed like an eternity, waiting for something, or someone, to pop out of nowhere and fire off a few rounds.

Suddenly, a mare unicorn, levitating a rifle in front of her, trotted out into the hallway, leaving the safety of the pillar she had been hiding behind. She seemed terrified, and for good reason.

"P-put your weapons away! You're surrounded!" She said in a tone that wasn't even intimidating.

"No, you're surrounded! The entire building is surrounded by our forces!" I said, stepping a little closer to the unicorn. "If you'll surrender, nobody will have to get hurt!"

If this was different, I would've shot her the first time I saw her.

"P-Please! Put them down now!" She said in a more panicked tone. "I... I won't ask again! Please!"

She didn't seem to be afraid of us, rather she seemed to be afraid of something else. She kept glancing over to her left, as if something was going to kill her if we didn't do what she wanted us to do.

"You don't have to fight us! Just lower your weapons, and you don't have to die!" I said, taking another step towards her.

I felt the pressure all around me, and if I made one wrong move, all my men could die.

"I..."

"Just put down the rifle, and come with us." I said, taking yet another step closer to her.

"I... I... Okay!" She said, dropping the rifle and running towards us.

"Coward!" A voice called out from behind her, followed by a loud bang.

The mare running towards us fell to the floor, falling right next to my foot. She began to scream.

They just shot their own squad mate...

"Go! GO!" I yelled, instinctively grabbing the unicorn and moving as fast as I could towards the stair case.

The four guys that went with me all made great haste towards the stairs that lead back into the lobby on the first floor. I had Ethan cover our escape, as ponies began to flood out from behind cover and fire at us.

"They shot me! They bucking shot me!" The mare cried, trying to stop some of the bleeding.

We got to the stairs and went down them as fast as we could. I was still carrying the wounded pony, who was making a pitiful display.

"Open fire on anything that comes out that doorway!" I ordered, still making my way down the stairs.

When I finally reached the bottom floor, I went over to Taylor and set the mare down next to him.

"What in God's name did you bring her down here for?!" Taylor asked in an annoyed tone.

"Her own sergeant shot at her when she was surrendering to us." I said. "The bastard..."

"You're screwing with me, aren't you?" Taylor said.

"No."

"BUUUCK!" The unicorn screamed to the world.

"Can you patch her up? I don't know where she's hit." I said.

"You know, the DAF is gonna run out of medical supplies if you keep saving ponies." Taylor said sarcastically.

"Nah, we can just make more." I replied.

"I'll- I'll try and fight- fight with you..." The mare said, trying to hold back more screams of agony.

"Wh... What? Fight with us?" I asked quizzically. "Are you saying you'll kill the other ponies? Your own squad mates?"

"Ugh... the bastard tried to kill me... I- I want to avenge myself." She said hesitantly.

"You aren't dead yet." I said.

"God, Mat. You aren't actually gonna let her fight with us, are you?" Taylor asked in a very concerned tone.

"I don't know." I replied.

Even though Taylor was a corporal, being a medic granted him a lot of power, which meant he could override my orders if he deemed them unsafe for wounded personnel. "Unsafe" would be throwing a guy who had his legs blown off back into battle, or putting a guy who was blinded by shrapnel into the drivers seat of a Ranger, and etc.

"I'll let her fight, but only because I know what's at stake here." I said, taking Taylor's SAR.

"Wha- Hey! What are you doing?!" Taylor asked.

"Relax, she'll cover you while you work on her." I said.

I gave the unicorn the SAR I took from Taylor, but I only gave it to her because I knew that if everyone in my squad is killed, then those Equestrians would probably kill her too. I also knew that she knew it as well, even though she never admitted it.

So this means I'm probably the only person in the DAF to accept help from the enemy, who would fight the enemy with us...

Cool.

BAM!

Magic and bullets were flying towards us at nearly every angle. The ponies were in more compromising places, as the railing on the balcony didn't help protect them at all.

"Take them down!" I yelled, raising my AR one of the ponies.

I pulled the trigger, letting the Attack Rifle do its work. The injured unicorn levitated the SAR and reluctantly began to fire at her own squad mates, taking them down with precision accuracy that rivaled our best snipers. Though, she was crying the whole time, either from the pain, or the fact that she was betraying her own nation, and was now beginning to realize it.

One by one, the ponies fell, and it eventually came down to a few ponies versus our entire squad, plus one unicorn.

"The battle is over! Surrender now, and no one else has to die!" I yelled. "This is your last chance!"

"Never! I'll never surrender to you bastards!" One pony yelled back.

"I give up!" Another pony yelled. "Pl-please, don't kill me!"

"NO!" The pony before yelled, raising his rifle towards the surrendering stallion. "NO SURRENDER!"

"No! D-Don't do it!" The unicorn beside me cried.

But it was too late, the crazed sergeant had already fired his rifle, which sent the bullet flying through the stallion's skull.

"You son of a bitch!" A pony behind the sergeant yelled.

The mare tackled the sergeant, throwing both of them through the flimsy railing and off the balcony. Both ponies let go of each other just before hitting the ground with full force. Both of them landed in awkward positions.

"Oh sweet Celestia!" One of the four remaining ponies exclaimed. "Jade, are you alright?!"

I walked over to the two ponies on the floor, seeing the full extent of the damage dealt. The sergeant had landed on his neck just right, which killed him instantly. The mare landed on her back, and was shaking uncontrollably.

"Is she..."

"Hold on, let me see." Taylor said, walking through the small crowd that had formed around the two ponies.

Taylor leaned over the mare, examining what he could without rolling her onto her stomach.

"I... Who knows this mare best?" Taylor asked.

"I do." One pony said, walking over to Taylor.

That's when I noticed the mare stop shaking... and breathing.

"She's dead." Taylor said, standing up.

There was a small moment of silence, with a few sniffles here and there.

"Alright..." I said, breaking the silence. "if you'll all come with us, we can get you out of the war. Sound good?"

That's when the unicorn that sided with us fell down hard. One of the ponies ran over to check on her, but she wasn't moving or saying anything.

She was dead, too.

...

I sighed.


Two days later

I was sitting on top of one of the buildings in Brismane, looking down at the small city below. I saw soldiers walking around in the streets below, while trucks full of supplies ran to and from the CP, which was two blocks North of here.

...

It's hard to believe that we are fighting talking, technicolor ponies, who want nothing more than to see all of us dead.

It feels ridiculous... And it was.

Speaking of which, the four ponies we had caught two days ago were sent to POW camps out in Etalonia, doing God knows what. The battle for Brismane had already ended by the time we went in to capture those ponies, but they refused to surrender, thanks to that nutty sergeant.

Good thing I'm nothing like him, otherwise I would've died years ago.

"Whoa! Is that what I think it is?!" One of the guys exclaimed.

I looked over to my squad, which was behind me, and tried to find out what they were looking at.

"Sir! Do you see it?!" Wade asked excitedly.

"See what?" I asked.

"The flag flying over town hall! Do you see it?!" Wade replied, pointing towards the building with a large dome on it, with a flag pole sticking out the top.

"It's just the DAF flag. What's so..." I said before realizing mid sentence what he was talking about. "Oh..."

Right below the DAF flag was the American flag, which flew proudly in the wind, showing its fifty white stars and thirteen red and white stripes...

Thirteen...

...

Thirteen isn't a lucky number... is it?

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay, had some things that needed to get done. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

And as always, tell me what you thought! Thanks for reading!