• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 474 Views, 8 Comments

Duncan the Demon Wolf in Equestria - DemonWolf



A dimensional traveler arrives in Equestria, can he deal with the cultural difference, the change in diet, and can he handle all the hugging ponies do?

  • ...
21
 8
 474

Life and a Mission

Duncan felt himself change as he fell thru the portal. In the split moment of non-time Duncan grew into his old human form. His fur became a long black coat, and matching shirt and pants. His paws became hands and boots, his face became pale skin, while his ears fell to the side of his head and shrank.

Emerging from the portal Duncan registered this and called out for his sword. A long sword appeared on his back, the hilt a simple leather wrap and steel curve cross guard. The pomal was steel with a pentacle etched in, at the crossguard the word, Falimial, its name, pulsed with power. The scabbard was red would with steel bands each etched with a different magic sigil.

Duncan was still entangled with the Mortis Letium as they fell threw the air. Duncan had set the portal above the tree tops of the world, he logic'd to keep the enemies from coming back thru. The creature was confused at the sudden falling so Duncan drew his sword and dispatched the creature in a swift cleave. Duncan then used his powers to slow his descent as he met the tree line and landed like a feather on a branch.

Below the Mortis Letium were cannibalizing the wounded and dead. They were oblivious to Duncan's presence for now. Duncan scanned the area taking note that the smaller carnivores had decided to keep back, while the larger carnivores were eating the creatures on the outskirts. Duncan grinned this world was much like the cretaceous period of his home world of Earth only more dog eat dog.

Not far he had a cave near by from living here for a year while training. Duncan noted his mana reserves were low and he would have to eat and sleep before he could leave this world. Making his way to the nearby crevices in the ground Duncan evaded many of the creatures going to investigate, while picking safe fruits. Duncan found that the vines he had cultivated as a ladder were still intact and climbed down to a small crevice in the cave wall. He had to kick some small pterodactyl like creatures out but got in and moved the wooden gate in the cave to cover the cave entrance.

Duncan used the last of his mana to start a fire with the stored supplies to the side, ate a light meal, and slept.

In the morning Duncan's mana had partially recovered though it was not enough to leave the world. Duncan spent the day gathering some food and hunting some grazers for dinner. He checked on the Mortis Letium they had started to move off and search for a safe place to nest, the creatures of the area had thinned their numbers to less than 20 from what Duncan thought was closer to 70 that was thrown through the portal, he really hoped there weren't any left in Equestria.

Duncan gorged himself on the meat figuring it would be his last for a while, and slept again.

Duncan woke and stretched in the morning. He noted his mana was full again and he could return to Equestria. Duncan went to the very back of the cave where a stone circle was slightly disheveled. Duncan straightened the circle and used a charred stick to draw sigils on the stones. Duncan prayed to his gods and activated his spell.


- Return -

Twilight stood before the gate way that Duncan had used to send the monsters away. She had studied a bunch of spells over the last week, including Starswirl’s notes on the mirrors he had created, after verifying her brother was okay. In all the spells she read thru none of them mentioned a spell like Duncan's, the sigils he had used were foreign to Equestria and the magic that needed speech was strange to her.

Twilight was looking over the patterns Duncan had used that still pulsed with residual power. Every night she would fly over and stare at the magic, trying to figure it out. Luna and Celestia had come and looked as well, however even they did not understand this power. Twilight was about to turn and leave when the magic pulse solidified into a solid spell.

The sigils glowed with power, and the seals on the grounds that had been scuffed redrew themselves in a red fire. Twilight stepped back seeing this spell working. The portal began to open once more though it only opened big enough for a pony to come thru. A black shadow fell out of the portal landing just beyond the spell work. The remaining power swirled into the shadow and the area went dark.

"Duncan?" Twilight asked lighting her horn.

"Miss Twilight, good to see you again," Duncan said triggering his own light spell of fire over his left eye.

"Thank Celestia you're okay," Twilight said hugging him, "we were all so worried when you went thru the portal and it closed."

"I'm more glad you're okay, how is Shining Armor, and did we get all the Mrtis Letium?" Duncan asked questions jumping to his mind.

"Shining will be okay with plenty of rest, the poison was neutralized quickly," Twilight answered, "and over the last week the pegasus and unicorn guards have been watching the forest. Not a single sighting of the creatures."

"Good, good," Duncan breathed a sigh of relief. They began to walk to ponyville, Duncan explained some of what happened in the otherworld. Twilight was confused when he said he had only been over there for two days, but Duncan explained that time flows differently in other worlds, and is in constant flux. In one of the other worlds he had been to 6 months had passed for it, but to him it had been 1600 years traveling the worlds and researching at the magic repository.
“Magic Repository,” Twilight’s eyes lit up, “like a library?”
“Mostly, its owned by a group called the knights of flame, and holds in it every magic known to them, which as they are a multi dimensional group of a few millennia there is a lot,” Duncan explained.

"So that’s where you learn all this magic?" Twilight asked.

"Yes, you see when I first learned the power to travel worlds I went to two worlds, first to a world with a well that grant's eternal life. The second was a world with a magical repository where I studied magic. I spent three years going between my home and the repository before I just left my home and moved into the repository for a few years," Duncan explained.

"Wait, Eternal life?" Twilight asked.

"Yeah, it's quite common for those who travel the worlds to obtain a form of immortality. As the worlds exists in infinity, those who wish to see them all need all the extra time they can find," Duncan said.

"And all you needed was a well?" Twilight asked.

"The worlds are infinite and magic as diverse a the worlds, in some worlds there is simple means to eternal life," Duncan said, "Though you have to know how to look for it, I've met travelers who've done terrible things for their eternal life."

"Terrible things?" Twilight asked.

"You wouldn't want to know," Duncan said, "most of the worlds aren't as peaceful as Equestria is on it's bad days."

Twilight shivered thinking about Discord and the Changelings and how bad they had been. They arrived at Twilight's library at this point, and was greeted by Spike. "Duncan you're back," Spike exclaimed.

"Yes I am," Duncan stated, "a pleasure to see you again Spike."

"What happened? where were you? how'd you get back?" Spike started asking.

"All in good time," Duncan said, "I'll tell you and the others later. Can you do me a favor though?"

"Sure what do you need?" Spike asked.

"Please send a letter to the Princesses letting them know I am back," Duncan told him.

"Will do," Spike said running off to write a letter. Twilight lent Duncan a bed and everyone went to sleep.


In the morning Duncan was greeted by Spike waking him up for breakfast. Duncan hid his mild disappointment at the lack of meats and ate quietly. Twilight ate with him though she was reading a book called, "Other Worldly Theories and Discoveries," Duncan felt he might be probed for information again later. Spike ate quickly and started asking Duncan about himself. Duncan gave him simple censured answers, taking his age and society into account.

"If you're finished Duncan the others will meet us at sugar cube corner soon, with the princesses," Twilight mentioned putting her book in a satchel and picked it up.

"Sounds good," Duncan agreed handing Spike his plate. Spike left the dishes in the sink and hopped on Twilight's back. They set off, Twilight respectfully holding back a myriad of questions, Duncan taking in Ponyville properly with his own eyes, as his last visit took him straight thru and out in a hurry.

Duncan, Twilight, and Spike were greeted by a pair of pegasus guards one in gold and the other in black signifying both princesses had arrived. Inside where the other element bearers, the princesses, and a few ponies serving food and tea. Duncan walked up to the princesses and bowed, "Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, I have returned from my unexpected trip."

"Duncan it's good to see you okay," Celestia replied.

"We are pleased to see thee," Luna said levitating a plate of sweets and a cup of tea over to him.

"Thank you," Duncan responded taking the plate and cup and set them down, "How are you both doing?"

"We are well, Shining Armor is back at the Crystal Empire already healing and handling his duties," Celestia informed him, "Our guards report no further activity in the Everfree forest, and the news of your safe return has put many ponies in a happy mood."

Duncan noticed the bearers were talking with Twilight, Pinkie Pie was held in place looking like she was about to jump over to him. Duncan sighed in relief, and looked back at the Princesses, "As per our agreement I am yours to command, princesses. What would you have me do?"

"We have no pressing matters that require your help, so if it would be acceptable I would have you stay in Ponyville for the time being," Celestia told him, "maybe make some friends and teach everyone about yourself."

"If that is your request I will do so," Duncan said.

"We also request you write or visit us in Canterlot," Luna stated, "we would like to confer with you and be your friends."

"As you asked," Duncan agreed mentally sighing.

"Now that's out of the way I think the others would like to visit with you," Celestia said nodding to Twilight.

Duncan found himself on his back, resisting the urge to fight he found Pinky Pie in his face, "OH MY GOSH!!! DEMON, I MEAN DUNCAN WELCOME BACK!"


- Life -

Duncan woke to his small cottage at the edge of the Everfree forest, Celestia had commissioned it so he could watch over the forest. Duncan's job was guardian and would get a small monthly stipend, which he had used to furnish the small four room cottage. He started his morning with toast and eggs, and some bacon he had gotten from the forest. Duncan ate and went out for a morning jog and patrol. It had been three months since he'd returned and become the princesses servant, and he still kept an eye out for Mortis Letium, though he trusted Celestia and Luna were right and they were gone.

He finished his patrol around noon and headed into town, for lunch. Today was Tuesday so he was to meet at Twilight's library for lunch and Twilight's lessons. Duncan had taken upon himself to teach Twilight his healing and non-harming combat magics, such as Chains of Power, and Scrape Soothe. The combat magics such as Firebolt, and Soul Drain he kept to himself, knowing they had no place in Equestria.

"Hello Duncan," Spike said greeting Duncan at the door, "How was work?"

"Peaceful thankfully," Duncan stated, "How are you Spike?"

"Uhg Twilight's making me help research a new spell," Spike said going back to cooking what looked like lunch, "something about seeing other worlds."

"Ah I see, well I'll be helping with that after lunch," Duncan stated, "Twilight down stairs?"

"Yeah I'll have food for you soon," Spike said letting Duncan in. Duncan nodded and descended the nearby stairs to the basement where he found Twilight with a crystal charging magical energy into it. Duncan watched her finish the spell and mutter as nothing appeared.

"Just so you know the spell is working," Duncan said observing the sphere.

"What do you mean the crystal isn't showing me anything," Twilight asked.

"It's showing you everything at once," Duncan stated walking up, "this is the problem with dimensional magic, it's very finicky with targeting. What are you trying to look at?"

"I'm trying to see how my friend Sunset Shimmer is doing in the other world," Twilight said.

"Okay in your spell how are you defining the other world?" Duncan asked.

"The world connected to this one threw the mirror," Twilight explained.

Duncan laughed a little, "that is too broad, you see many worlds can be connected to another threw mirrors. Such as I have a mirror to let me talk to a friend in the repository, which means your spell is tapping into my mirror's connection. Equestria is also a very large land so I wouldn't be surprised if other travelers like myself were here and with mirrors as well or just old relics like the one you mentioned."

"So I have to be more specific?" Twilight asked.

"A lot more, get a specific as possible," Duncan told her.

"Okay let me try this," Twilight said charging her horn. Her magic lit up the crystal only this time, an image came into the crystal. "It worked!" Twilight exclaimed watching the red and orange haired individual, "But why is it so blurry?"

Duncan stared at the crystal and saw a fuzzy overlay, focusing harder he saw a second image with a much meaner looking Sunset Shimmer, "branch realities, you did well and got the right core world and Sunset Shimmer looks right however..."

"However?" Twilight asked.

"Do you remember how I explained other worlds are formed?" Duncan asked.

"Yes, you said, 'each choice made splits the world, much like how a tree grows branches, each branch, twig, and leaf is a new world,' that's why I focused so hard on the other world I had been to," Twilight said quoting him word for word.

"Yes but do you realize that includes micro choices?" Duncan asked.

"Micro choices?" Twilight asked confused.

"Think on the root words," Duncan said, this is how he'd teach, mostly by making his student think for themselves over being hand fed information from a book or lecture.

"Micro as in super small, and choices as in the possibilities to perform one of two or more actions," Twilight said, "so micro choices are very small choices such as whether to start walking with your left foot or your right foot?"

"Exactly, and this goes down to the smallest creature's choices," Duncan explained, "a squirrel waiting a second longer to run and grab a nut will create a split."

"I see so how would I clear up the image?" She asked.

"Focus on getting the image of one Sunset Shimmer, the one whom you saved and is friends with your friends and tell the spell to pick one world to follow," Duncan explained, "But you have to be very precisely that's why dimensional magic is so hard."

"How long did it take you to learn?" Twilight asked.

"It took me 40 years to learn my first dimensional spell," Duncan explained.

"40 years?" Twilight exclaimed.

"Yes, it was a traveling spell so it was rather difficult, and my home world magic was generally thought as being fake," Duncan said his face becoming impassive, "anyways you'll learn it quickly I'm sure."

"Okay thank you," Twilight tried a few more times the picture getting clearer each time until she was forced to stop for lunch and work on other projects by Duncan. Such as trying to teach him non-verbal magic which due to his lack of a focus point began to prove fruitless. Duncan left Twilight's at 3:30pm and went to the market to buy a few essentials for his dinner.

At home Duncan ate a light meal, studied a Equestria History book, and worked on his interdimensional detection spell before sleeping.

The next day passed as before however this time he visited Applejack after lunch to help her with some chores around the farm. Duncan used some cleaning spells on the house, and worked on his networked protection spell, over the trees to ward off harmful creatures such as termites and fruit bugs. This spell was a mark carved into tree then the natural magic of the tree was tied to the other trees, as Duncan put it much like many trains and towns. This spell let sick trees borrow strength from strong trees and made it so other trees could send energy to fight off parasites. In the evening he ate dinner with the Apple Family telling Applebloom only a little of his past.

"So if you're not a pony why do ya ave a cutie mark?" Applebloom asked that night.
Duncan looked at his flank, "I don't think this really is a cutie mark, as it doesn't represent my special talent. This is a symbol of the Knights of Flame actually," Duncan explained.

"Knights of Flame?" Applebloom asked.

"They're a group of travelers who work to keep the peace of the worlds. This symbol was created by their first Knight Commander whose name was lost to time," Duncan explained.

"Does that make you a Knight of Flame too?" she asked.

"No, I uses this symbol because it is a protection sigil, it catches low level magics that intend to cause me harm and neutralizes them," Duncan explained.

"Ah I see, so do the Knights get mad at you for using it?" Applejack asked.

"No they don't mind so long as I don't go against their rules, they even made me an honorary member," Duncan explained.

"What kind of rules do ya have to follow?" Applebloom asked.

"Well no killing as a general rule, and no conquesting," Duncan said thinking, "those are the big ones, some minor other rules but those are only of little importance."

"Do you think I could be a Knight of Flame and get a cutie mark that way?" Applebloom asked. Duncan looked at her innocent face and visions of carnage crossed his memory, wars the knights had waged on conquers and genocidal psychos, horror slowly creeping across his face.

"I do not mean this as an insult but I don't think you would do well as a knight, it would mean fighting, and never seeing your family. It's not something someone chooses to do lightly," Duncan said, "now I thank you all for the meal, I'll be by Friday to help again."

"Thanks for coming by sugar we really appreciate the help," Applejack said leading Duncan out as Big Mac and Applebloom cleared the table.

"Not a problem," Duncan said walking with her.

"By the way thank you for talking with Applebloom," Applejack said.

"It's always a pleasure to talk to those who'll listen," Duncan said.

"That's true I s'pose, I do have a question though," Applejack said.

"Ask away," Duncan replied.

"When any of us ask about the other worlds and such you seem guarded, or even pained at answering. I saw it when Applebloom asked about being a Knight of Flame. Is there a reason?" Applejack asked.

Duncan sighed and looked at the evening sky for a long moment before looking back at Applejack, "Applejack what is the most evil creature in the history of Equestria?"

"Not sure either Discord before redemption, King Sombra, or the changelings," Applejack answered, "what's that got ta do with it?"

"I read about those in the history book Luna lent me. I read details about each one's rule and the atrocities they committed in their rule," Duncan explained looking up again, "Do you know what I thought to myself?"

"Uh... not sure where you're going but no I don't," she replied.

"I thought to myself how lucky you ponies were, that they were the worst you've ever dealt with," Duncan said, "I thought to myself, compared to the pain of the other worlds, you ponies didn't suffer too badly. Can you guess why?"

"Ta be honest sugar I don't think I want to," Applejack said, "cause I'm betting that means there are worse things than what we've seen."

"Exactly, which is why I am careful with what I share, only Luna and Celestia have seen some of what I've seen, when I had to make a point. I would rather not share with such kind innocent folk the darkness and corruption that doesn't appear in their world," Duncan stated walking away, "I'll see you later AJ."

"Later Duncan," Applejack answered turning away from Duncan.


Duncan continued his week he would visit each pony and help them with their jobs or teach them something he had learned in his travels. He would help bake at Sugarplum Corner while Pinky Pie ran the register. Rarity he would help with gem cutting, and show her drawings of fashions from the worlds he'd seen. Fluttershy he would help feed animals and taught her herbal remedies for various sickness. Rainbow Dash he would train with and teach her ways to move about without flying if she needed to. With Twilight he would teach his strange magic, and study her magic, while with Applejack he learned about apple farming while doing chores.

With all of this Duncan kept his week busy, and he interacted with the element bearers like Luna and Celestia had wanted him to. He occasionally took a day off to work on a private project he would tell nopony about but otherwise he seemed to have found his spot and fit in.


“Duncan, thank you for coming,” Luna said as Duncan walked into her office.

“I am but your humble servant, your majesty,” Duncan said bowing to the Princess of the night.

“Please refer to me as Luna,’ she said waving Duncan up, “we are friends are we not?”

“If that is your wish Prin… er Luna,” Duncan said sitting on his haunches.

Luna raised her eye at this but continued on, “My sister and I agree, that we need to protect Equestria from world travelers like yourself, but who are less friendly.”

“What would you like done?” Duncan asked.

“I want to know, can you track those who travel the worlds?” Luna asked.

“With the right crystals, time, and some travel I could create a system that would let you know where anyone who has crossed the worlds is,” Duncan stated, “You would see my position at all times, unless they are actively cloaking against it.”

“That sounds like a good start,” Luna pulled out a medallion, “take this it will grant you access to all areas of Equestria. Also submit to me a list of materials you need.”

“It will be done, Luna,” Duncan stated leaving once dismissed by a hoof wave.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment