• Published 16th Apr 2015
  • 6,726 Views, 400 Comments

Return: Tales of the Lost - Dustchu



After six years of being missing, the CMC, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom have finally returned home to Ponyville, but not without a story to tell.

  • ...
13
 400
 6,726

Tales of the Lost III: Junktown

Author's Note:

Yeeeeah, things are going to be changing up a bit from now on. Now the Tales of the Lost shall be told in First Person Perspective, while during the Return part of the story is strictly third person.

I'm also going to make these chapters shorter, so I can update faster :P Oh! I also have new Cover Art!
I made it myself and it looks like shit.

Enjoy!
:pinkiehappy:


Texan Wasteland - Six Years Ago - Five Hours after CMC Joins Lee and Forrest - Apple Bloom's Perspective


Five hours had passed, and our little group had ventured far down the road, leaving the town of Axton behind. Lee was up with his faithful robot soldier, Forrest. Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and I were sitting beside the two, sticking together as we looked around the wasteland. The clouds overhead moved on their own, much to the our shock. When Sweetie questioned this, Lee had told them that on this planet, the weather moved and operated by itself.

Scootaloo called bullcrap on that, and Lee had sat us down on the side of the road, and sat down himself. His eyes staring into the sky as the three stared at him, Forrest just floated next to him.

"Why're sittin' here?" I asked, looking at the human warily.

"Your friend called bullshit on the clouds moving on their own, so I am showing you, it is in fact: Not bullshit." Lee replied happily, leaning back on a rock as he watched the skies above. Several graying clouds overhead started moving to the south from a northern wind, Lee watched with a flat face as the wind blew over us and whipped up sand.

Me and the other two, however, watched as the clouds moved by themselves, mouths agape and eyes wide. "How is that possible?!" Sweetie questioned, pointing to the sky.

"It's like in the Everfree, the weather acts on its own!" Scootaloo said, looking to the human and asking. "Is all of your weather like that?"

Lee nodded. "Yep, humans have no control over the weather. I know that some people can predict the weather patterns and such, but actually controlling it? Fat chance!" He laughed, leaning back as his chuckles echoed across the wastelands. "I mean, if the world hadn't destroyed itself, then maybe we might have developed some weird ass technology to control it." He shrugged. "I mean, who would think to develop technology to control the weather?"


Meanwhile, in a different kind of wasteland


"Ah, ah, ACHOOO!" A crystal white unicorn sneezed, rubbing her nose as she looked up. "Why do I feel like somepony is talking about me?" She shrugged, going back to working on her device.


-ooo000=+=000ooo-


Lee just laughed as I crossed my forelegs over my chest. "A machine to control th' weather? That don't sound like no laughin' matter."

"It ain't," Lee told me, mimicking my country accent. "Fact of the matter is, if someone had something like that under their control, chances are the Brotherhood of Steel or the Enclave would be all over those poor bastards." He added, I winced at his casual use of cursing.

I rounded on him. "Do you kiss your mama with that mouth?" I asked him. If Applejack were here she would have whooped his behind by now.

However, Lee laughed again. "Hahahaha! My mom's dead, Apple Bloom," he laughed, my eyes widening as Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle looked at him. "Hell, she was the one who started to, dad as well, the lanky bastard."

"How could ya talk about yer parents like that?" I yelled at him, I had never heard somepony talk so lightly about their parents deaths before, or even laugh and he was doing both! "Didn't they raise you better than that?"

The human just gave me an amused look, raising an eyebrow. "They raised me to kill raiders, to fend for myself, and to look good while doing it!" He chuckled, looking over at Forrest. "I don't know if they loved me or not, but I don't feel like sharing my life's story with a bunch of kids." Standing up, he dusted off his pants and said. "Let's get moving, I wasted ammo saving your butts and I need to restock."

Without another word he started off down the road, me, Scoots and Sweetie in tow. "Where are we heading?" Scootaloo asked him.

"To a town, I like to call, Junktown." He told us, continuing to walk down the road.

And so, we walked. Along the way I looked around the area, for miles it seemed to comprise of nothing but desert wasteland, with a few dead trees, bushes and some wreckage sitting about. It's hard to believe this place was at war... but Axton proved me wrong. Crows soared overhead, their caws making me look into the sky once more before looking out ahead. Some more of those cars were sitting on the roads, tires and windows gone, reduced to nothing more the hunks of metal.

Lee would give them a quick once over before continuing on, the reason for this I couldn't figure out to save my life. They looked useless, but he kept looking. Behind me Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were looking around, same as I was. There wasn't much to look at, not a thing and I ended up thinking about Lee, and his parents. Why would he talk about them in such a... vulgar way? They should have raised him better than that, but then again, maybe parents are different in this world.

Maybe we would find out, in Junktown.


-ooo000=+=000ooo-


Junktown was... in a word... junky. I mean it, the entire town was, made, built and ran off of junk. When we first came up on it, I thought it was a ruin like Axton was, but Lee walked up to the wall of junk and knocked on it. I was about to ask him why he was, but then the junk slid to the side and Lee started talking to another human behind it, gesturing to us, and his backpack. After a few... curse words, the man stepped to the side and Lee herded us inside.

The town wasn't what I expected, I mean... I've seen some weird places back in Equestria, but this one... was a different one in its own category. The houses... well... shacks were made out of pure junk, more of those vehicles, and whatever else they could find. The entire town was built out of junk, the shops around us carried junk, these people wore junk, they carried junk as weapons...

Whoa...

"This is Junktown?" Sweetie squeaked, getting a few looks from people walking around us.

Lee nodded. "Yep, this is Junktown, home to Junk, junk and oh look!" He kicked a tin can, making it fly forward and bounce off of what looked like a tower of steel. "More junk." He laughed as somepony ducked, shaking at fist at his antics. "Anywho, we're here because I need to get more ammo, that and... other things..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "Um, just follow me." He said, leading us down the trail.

And so we walked through the town, more than a few people giving us strange and bewildered looks as we passed by them. I saw people dressed in weird looking plate armor made of scrap, holding clubs and boards with nails sticking out of them. Everypony here looked uneasy at first, but once they laid eyes on Lee a few of them seemed to... just look away, and go about their business.

"This place is a dump." Scootaloo whispered beside me, having caught up and was leaning towards me.

I shrugged. "It is... but, why don't they leave?"

"There ain't nowhere else to go." Somepony spoke up from behind us.

"Ahhh!" I yelped, falling forward before turning around, Scootaloo and Sweets standing by my side as we looked at the culprit. It was a human, dressed in a hoodie, torn blue pants and boots.

The man looked up at Lee, smirking. "Got some new companions Lee my boy?" He asked, cackling.

Lee turned around, eyeing the man before nodding. "Yep, so what are you doing out of your hole, Tinky?" He asked the man, who was twitching slightly.

"Well a little birdy-" A loud caw sounded in the skies above, "-I mean big birdy told me you found three new little critters, and I just had to see what they were~" His wild yellowish brown eyes turned to lock on my own. "And I have to say, this is right up your alley Lee."

"And what do you mean by that?"

"What I mean is, you're always making friends with weird shit." Tinky told him, making me frown.

"We are not weird!" I told him.

"Yeah! If anything, you're the weird one!" Sweetie chirped from my left as Scootaloo stood to my right.

Tinky tilted his head as several people stopped to watch us, which made me a tad uncomfortable. "Well, yeah I'm weird, if you knew me, but you don't." He smiled. "You three shouldn't even exist here, and yet you do." He looked back up to Lee, turning around and walking away.

As he disappeared into a shack on the far side of the town, I turned back to Lee and rose an eyebrow. "Who was that?"

"That was Tinky," He sighed, rubbing the back of his head with an indifferent expression on his face. "He's... one of Junktown's barterers, a bit loony in the head like Dusty, just... not as much." Lee turned back around, facing towards a large building we had stopped next to. a small sign out front labeled this building as a store, the words Rustbucket's Wares. The outside looked like a shack, but then again every building looked like a shack. "In we go~" He said, opening the door and herding us inside.

Instantly I was bombarded with smells, of some kind of oil, sweat, and smoke, it filled the room and while it didn't seem to bother Lee any, it bothered me and the crusaders a great deal. I coughed, phlegm getting lodged in my throat. I waved a hoof in front of my muzzle, trying to waft the smell away but it did very little good. "What in tarnation is that smell?!" I asked as Scootaloo gagged and Sweetie just covered her nose.

"That's the smell of discovery!" A man yelled from somewhere, something crashed in a room behind the counter and out came another human holding a sledgehammer. "How can I-" he stopped when he looked at me, his voice trailing off into a squeak. "Lee, what in the hell?"

Lee held up his hands as Forrest levitated behind us. "I know I know, just roll with it." He told the older man. "Anywho, I'm here hoping to get some replacement ammo for my 44." He said, pulling out one of his guns, it was jet black in color and I saw it had a weird glowing etching on the handle.

"Ahhh, I do believe I have some around here somewhere." The man said before ducking down behind his counter. "While I look for it, why don't you kids have a look around, maybe you'll find something that'll peek your interest!"

Lee chuckled under his breath, saying, "They're a wee bit young to be fighting I think, but then again I started when I was like... what... six years old?" Lee trailed off, murmuring to himself, he was fighting since he was six?!

"I do believe that is correct sir." Forrest agreed from behind us. "Six years of age when you took the life of your first commie." The robot commented happily, his gruff voice carrying varying tones of pride and distinct happiness.

I couldn't help but frown, is everypony on this world a killer?! I wondered, everypony we've met so far seems to have no problem with killing. I didn't like this place, and the longer we were here the more I was going to hate it. As Lee talked with the man, the three of us had split up to look around, maybe we would find something to help us get back home. Scootaloo looked around one of the shelves with Sweetie, and myself, I was looking around a shelf at the items laying on it. I saw more of those guns Lee had sitting around, some small ones and larger ones, I saw some long barreled guns with scopes, and a few small round balls with pins on them.

Did this store have nothing but weapons? I kept looking through the shelves, and I found some books, but a quick peek through them showed nothing of any interest, in fact most of them were burned and some were blank, with a few faded words remaining on the pages. Some were still intact however, and those were stories I had never even heard of, some with ships, towers, and a group of people taking a ring to a mountain.

But after a bit, I found something that peaked my interest, it was a large book and it was about weapons... a lot of them. Picking them up, I saw the cover was labeled Guns, weapons and more guns! Your guide to warfare! I didn't know what to think of all of these guns and weapons, but if this world ran off of them...

I picked it up, eyeing the cover and feeling the weight of it as I heard footsteps. Looking over I saw Lee walk over to me, "You found something you want?" He asked me, kneeling down and looking at the book in my hooves. "Ooooh, that's a good find you got there AB," He said, patting my head, I swatted his hand away. "You want that?"

I gave the book another look, if we were going to be trapped here for a while, I might as well learn about what might hurt us. I looked up at Lee and nodded.

When the human smiled he plucked it from my grasp and walked over to the counter, Sweets and Scootaloo trotting over to me from behind. "Did you find anything worth getting AB?" Scootaloo asked me.

"All we found was a bunch of junk," Sweetie squeaked, "and some old toys, but those weren't fun to look at."

"Ah found a book that has a bunch of them weapons an' stuff in it." At their looks, I added. "Ah mean, if we're gonna be here awhile, We might as well learn bout them guns and stuff," I shrugged.

Sweetie, however didn't seem to like that idea. "I don't know, Apple Bloom," She said, biting her lip. "Learning about Lee's world and their guns and stuff doesn't sound like a good idea." She said.

"I don't know, it sounds pretty cool if you ask me." Scootaloo retorted, sitting down and rubbing her chin.

"How is it cool?!" Sweetie waved her hooves in the air. "Those gun things are dangerous! Why would you want to know more about them?!"

She did raise a... good point. From what Lee told us while we were on the move, guns were the go-to weapon in the wastelands. Everypony had a gun, or something like one. So why would I want a book that probably had just about every gun in it?

"Ah want ta know more bout em so Ah can know what's dangerous an' what's not." I told her. True I knew next to nothing about all of the weapons in the wastelands, but if I knew more about them then I could tell which was dangerous and what to avoid, and how to protect my friends.

I was about to say something else, when Lee came back over and said, "Better to know what'll hurt ya and not need them, then to not know what'll hurt ya, and pay for it later." He hoofed the book back to me, which I took from him. "Well, I'm done here, we should get going I guess."

With our little store venture done, I balanced the book on my back as we walked out of the store and back into the town. Lee was smiling, hands in his pockets as he whistled an odd tune. Scootaloo kept close to me and Sweetie Belle, we always kept close whenever we were in dangerous places. The town was a bit more lively now, a few people were out and selling some objects, some of it was junk parts and others were... weird parts that looked like they went on something.

Some music played from a place called Trevor Phillip's Bar, where a man in a leather jacket was thrown out by a very angry looking human wearing a small dirty white shirt and a pair of darkened blue pants. "Get the fuck out of here you shit for brains!"

I cringed as we passed by the bar, looking out ahead to where Lee was leading us. "Where're going?" I asked him, eyeing the human.

"Well, I'm done here, so now I'm heading off to see a buddy of mine." Lee told us, heading for the exit, "I'm sure he could help us out a little bit."

"Who would that be?" Sweetie bounded up next to him, looking up at the human as he looked down at her.

"Dusty Strange."


Who is this Dusty Strange? Will we ever find out? Who knows, and Apple Bloom has something new to read, an encyclopedia on human weapons! I wonder why she wanted that?

We'll find out... next time!

Stay tuned next time, for the next chapter of: Return, on Vault-Tec Channel 6

*FLICKS OFF*

*STATIC*