• Published 6th Apr 2015
  • 10,054 Views, 507 Comments

Ponyville Police Department - Omega6047



Policeman and his dog are trying to survive in pony society.

  • ...
72
 507
 10,054

10. Hospitalized

--Chapter 10--
Hospitalized

“Um… Twilight?

“Huh?”

“Not that I have anything against hugs, but we’ve been hugging for two minutes straight… And you’re kinda standing on my crotch again…”

After hearing that, she immediately let him go and jumped off the bed. “Sorry!” She said as she blushed deep red and gave him an awkward smile. “It’s just that we’ve been so worried about you, and because you saved my life three times, and… and that’s what friends do, right? Because… we are friends, are we?”

Revan looked at her and smiled. “Sure we are, and no hard feelings, it was just an accident.” He ruffled her mane with his good hand, causing her to giggle. “Now, I believe I promised you some questions. But I have some as well, so this is going to be answer-for-answer, ok?”

She smiled widely and began to jump around the room while screaming “YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! (and then it goes on for some time)” Meanwhile, princess Luna was having a hard time with keeping herself awake. On one hoof, she was really interested in the human, but on the other, she was tired beyond recognition.

Eventually her tiredness won over her interest in the human, and she dozed off to the realm of dreams. She sensed that somepony that was in that room has been dreaming last night. Each time a pony or any other creature would dream, he or she would leave a trail of the dream they had, allowing Luna to see it even after said dream was over. Luna decided to check what this dream was about (her mistake).

Eventually Twilight calmed down and lifted her notebook along with writing tools. “Alright, but I also have questions from rest of my friends, Rainbow got the idea and it spread from there, I asked if princess had any questions to you, but she wanted to talk to you when both you and Luna are back in good shape. So I suggest that I will ask question first, you next, and then I’ll read one of their questions. Sounds good?”

“Sure, now let’s begin.”

“Ok, first question, or actually a request. I’d like you to sum up your world’s history. You don’t have to tell me everything, just the most important events. If you know some details though, don’t hesitate to mention about them.”

“Alright, the first part is kinda theoretical, there’s no actual evidence it actually happened, but this is the version I chose to believe in.

About 14 billion human years ago –I’m saying ‘human years’ because I’m not sure if our calendar systems the same- a huge mass of matter exploded , and began the formation of the universe. That event was called ‘Big Bang’. an according to scientists, it is the most probable theory for the universe's creation.

Through out the years, all elements began to connect and from there were slowly forming planets, suns and other objects. Somewhere about 4,5 billion human years ago, the planet I’m from –Earth- formatted around the star that we later called ‘Sun’. From there life slowly began its evolution, beginning from simple bacterias that evolved into sea creatures, to the first land creatures. Life continued it’s somewhat peaceful existence until 240 million years ago where the event called ‘The Great Dying’ took place. Throughout next 10 million years about 90% of life on the planet died.

The cause of that is unknown but it is theorized that because of our galaxy’s –which is called ‘Milky Way’- rotation, Earth was in the place of galaxy where about 5 times more space radiations would reach the planet, causing the environment to become much more life-unfriendly.

That cycle repeats itself every 60 million years but it never caused such an extermination of life like that one. No one really knows why.

Anyways, the evolution kept up from there, and eventually humans as they are now appeared 230 thousand human years ago. At first we were simple hunters and gatherers, but then we began to get smarter and fought our way to the top of food chain.

First villages began to form, then cities, and eventually countries. Throughout our entire civilization’s history we would fight each other to gain more area, proof that our religion is better and stuff like that. But don’t think all we were doing is fighting, we’ve been developing our culture and technology as well. Of course a lot of invitations were first used for military purposes, but that’s beside the point.

Aaaaaand that’s it for now. If you want I can give you a more detailed description of our history, but that would take some time, and I believe we still have more questions to go through.”

When he finished his little lesson, he looked at Twilight who’s been writing down every single word he said. There was one broken quill on the floor and she was staring wide-eyed at him. “You know… I actually thought you will just tell something about recent history… not sum up the history of your planet’s creation… not that I mind, it’s just that most ponies wouldn’t know about stuff like that… I must say, I hadn’t expected you to be so well educated.”

“Thanks, now my question, I’ve been meaning to ask about it for some time. What are those marks on your butts? I’ve noticed that all ponies I’ve met so far have them, but I’m not sure what they mean.”

Revan waited for her to answer, but she just kept looking at him. Slowly a smile began to form on her face and began to grew. Few tears appeared in her eyes as she started to laughing like she just heard a good joke.

“I fail to see what’s so funny about it…” Revan stated.

Through her laughter she managed to take a look at Revan’s serious expression. Her laugh stopped as she realized he wasn’t joking. “Wait, you seriously don’t know what cute mark is!?”

“No, that’s why I’m asking you about it.” He responded.

“But- but how!? Don’t you have one yourself?”

“No, and neither does any other human. Why did you assumed I’d have pony features?”

Twilight’s eye twitched. “Because EVERY SINGLE sapient race in this world has those! They just have them in different places then ponies! They are the way for us to tell what out special talent is! How do you know that without them!?”

“We just do what we think we’re good at and that’s it. We don’t need any kind of marks to tell us what to do with our lives.” He sighed. “You know what, I have a feeling that we could argue about importance of those marks for some time, so why don’t we just go on with questions?”

“Alright, but we’ll come back to the subject sometime. Now I’ll read you one of question’s from the other girls.” She opened the second notebook that contained the list of questions asked by the other girls. “The first one is form Rainbow. ‘How fast are you?’.

He laughed lightly. “Yeah, that seems like something she would ask. I don’t really measure how fast I can run but I remember that while in school I’ve made 100 meters in 16,5 second. I know that average speed of a sprint for a human is 20-25 Km/h.”

“16 seconds isn’t all that impressive. Most ponies would make 100 meters in below 15. Even I could do this, and ‘physically fit’ is the last thing you’d say about me.” She commented, as she wrote down his answer.

[This stats might change, I don’t really know the average human speed and the one here is based on the first site about it that I found, if I’ll find something more reliable and stats are different I’ll put those stats here]

“Maybe, but human body wasn’t really made for speed. The one area where human’s surpass every other living being in my world is endurance. I myself can run for 5 hours straight without stopping and I’m not even close to the top runners.

I’ve heard about a guy who decided to take part in a marathon that was supposed to last 4 days, of course with stops along the way. The guy didn’t know that he’s allowed to take a break and kept running for 3 days straight until he finished the marathon in record time.

I’m not sure is that true, but after seeing a guy lifting a fridge with his teeth, I’m willing to believe that it is.”

“But… doesn’t your body overheat? And you have only two legs, also you are almost twice heavier than average pony, if anything I’d say you should have much less endurance than us ponies.”

“We do overheat eventually, but humans have a way to control our body heat. Tell me, do you sense that smell that’s coming from me?” He asked.

“Yes, I thought that Red Heart gave you some perfume or something, but I guess you are about to correct me?”

“Yes, its actually- wait, are you saying you like that smell?” Twilight nods. “Huh, never thought I’d meet someone who does. Anyway, that is actually my sweat. Basically glands on my skin release water to cool me down.

And as for legs, we may have only two but we simply know how to put them to a good use.” Twilight wrote everything down. “Alright, now your question.”

[Before someone writes a comment about it, yes I know that in the show ponies sweat, but in my story they don’t, end of subject]

“When you were unconscious I’ve took a blood sample from you and put some tests on it and it’s almost the same as pony blood with two differences. I don’t know why, but your blood doesn’t have any anti-gens, though that’s not what I want to ask now.

I added few simple bacteria to your blood sample and noticed that some of cells in your blood seemed to be attacking the disease. Could you tell, what those are?”

He looked at her surprised. “Em… they are my white blood cells… A natural way my body protects itself from bacteria and any foreign invaders… Don’t tell me you don’t have those.”

“No.” She answered simply.

“Than how does your body defends itself?”

“Magic inside of everypony protects us from most of damages and diseases. In most cases, having a lot of magic inside you means you’re more protected against a disease, but there are sicknesses that are feeding from the inner magic of the pony. There is no known cure for those and the only pony known to fight off anything like that, is princess Celestia.”

Revan thought about what she said for a bit before responding. “So basically, because I nearly don’t have any magic in me, I’m pretty much safe from that kind of stuff, and no bacteria in this world knows how to fight with my immune system?”

Twilight nods. “Yes that would be ri-“ She paused as she realized something. “Um, Revan, would you mind if I take another blood sample from you? I’ve got an idea but I’ll need to send a sample to Canterlot so the professors from academy can check it.”

“Sure.” Twilight smiled and turned to leave in look of the syringe, but before she left the room, Revan spoke up again. “If you don’t mind me asking, what exactly you want them to check?”

She turned around and answered. “I want them to check what kind of diseases those white cells of yours can fight against.”

“Oh, so you’re hoping that it could help create cures on some of diseases?” She nodded in response. “Then I will be more than happy to help.”

She smiles again and leaves the room. It didn’t take her long to find everything she needed and send the sample to Canterlot. After that they continued their Q&A session.

“Alright, now it’s my turn.” He thought for a bit. “Nurse had told me that my body is slowly gaining magic, why is that happening? And why were you so stubborn to accept the fact that I didn’t have any magic before?”

“Well, you see, magic is something so essential to the life in this world that I just couldn’t imagine how is it even possible to survive without it. But then, I realized that you’re not exactly from this world, and you don’t necessarily fall into the same rulebook as we do.

And as for you gaining magic, there are two main factors. First, is the fact that our world is ‘accepting’ your presence, and attempts to reforge you to follow its rules. The other factor, is that by eating and drinking from here or doing anything to replace your cells, your body becomes magic sensitive. The only way to speed up the process would be exposing you to large amounts of magic radiations, but I don’t know about any place like that on Equs.”

“Alright, next question.” The session continued for quite some time. Twilight asked him about all she could think of, while Revan focused on how this world worked.

One of things he was interested in were other countries on Equs. To his surprise, there weren’t much of them, and most were created after the split of ‘Great Griffon Empire’ about 300 pony years ago. Once it was the empire that controlled almost entire continent, but now was split into many small countries, some of them the size of a big city.

The reason of that was terrible decision of the last Empire’s king, who decided to put all his children in rule of equal parts of the Empire, with the oldest having a hardship over entire kingdom. It resulted in years of civil wars which split the Empire even further.

Each time someone would try to reunite the kingdom, he’d be stopped by rulers of other little countries who held to the little power they had like their lives depended on it. Usually through assassination.

Other thing he asked about was reasons for Mischief’s interest in magic. Apparently each time a unicorn uses magic he or she leaves a trail that can be detected by other unicorn, or something with very sensitive nose; which includes dogs. Mischief was most likely interested in new kind of smells and he would be back to normal. Even now he was more in control then before.

Question’s written by other girls were all based around their respective jobs and hobbies.

For Dash it would be sport and weather connected stuff. Twilight was for some reason terrified of the thought of world where weather controls itself, and even more of the fact that no one moves the sun and moon around. Concepts that to Revan’s surprise didn’t exist in that world (at least outside of the Everfree).

Fluttershy mostly asked about Mischief, but also about other animals and fauna from Earth. Stuff like that never was Revan’s strong side even though he was generally good with animals, but he answered the questions best as he could.

Rarity’s questions were solely focused on fashion. Because of Revan’s general lack of interest in fashion he was unable to answer most of her questions, and those he did answer were mostly focused on his uniform. One of things she asked about, led to Revan asking Twilight why none of them wears any clothes. The thought of wearing clothes all the time was strange to Twilight, but she accepted it nonetheless.

As for Pinkie’s questions, they were completely randomized. None of them seemed to have any connection with any other and she often asked about stuff she shouldn’t even know about. At one point Revan and Twilight could have swear they saw a flash of light and a pink tail disappearing behind the window.

Applejack barely wrote any questions, and they were both centered around either apples or Revan’s family. The session continued for a long time and both Revan and Twilight were enjoying it, Luna woke up and silently listened to them. Around 13:30, nurse Red Heart, came with a dinner for both of them. They decided to take a break and ate their food.

After that they continued to answer each other’s questions, until they reached the last question from the list given by Applejack.

“Could you tell something about your parents?”

“Well, my mother’s name is Anna and she is currently 37 years old. She comes from country called Poland, a place where I’ve spend most of my childhood.” Stare dobre czasy… ((Good, old times…)) “She used to work as a translator, but now she lives and work on the farm she got in testament after my grandpa’s death.

And as for my father he was working as a construction engineer.”

“Was?”

Revan hesitated a bit. “He died in an accident when I was 17. During a storm he lost control over a car and crashed into the high voltage pole. At the time he was 35.”

“Oh… I’m sorry. It must have been horrible.” Twilight said visibly saddened.

“It was, he taught me most of what I know -excluding academic knowledge- and we were rather close. I didn’t take it well, but my mother had it worse, for some time I was afraid she would commit suicide, and I think she was actuall close to doing it. When I was 18 she left America –the country my father was from, and where we moved to when I was 15- and came back to Poland.”

They stayed silent for a bit. Eventually, Twilight walked closer to his bed and gave him another hug. He hugged her back. I swear, those ponies must have some kind of fetish about hugs… Well at least she’s not standing on my balls again, and she is kinda like a big plushy, so I guess I won’t be complaining.

When the hug ended Twilight spoke up. “I think, I’ll live for now. It’s getting late.” Indeed it was getting late, the clock above the door showed 6PM. However, before leaving, Twilight approached princess Luna’s bed. “Princess Luna, I was ordered to send reports to princess Celestia about your condition. Would you like her to know that you’re awake?”

Luna looked down. “I am no longer a princess Twilight Sparkle. Thou can do whatever thou wish, and I will take any punishment Celestia shall throw upon me, even death.”

“I’m sure princess won’t punish y-„

“No Twilight Sparkle, I deserve no forgiveness after what I did. If I was stronger, I could have stop this all before it even began. Thou should have left me in that ruins to die, maybe it would be better then what she shall do to me.”

Revan decided to interfere. “Listen Luna, don’t start with that guilt tripping bullshit, because I’ve heard enough from my mother after my father died. If your sister would want you dead she would have finish you in that castle. I don’t know her personally and neither did I ever seen her, but from what Twilight’s been telling about her, I’m rather positive she will forgive you.

Nightmare Moon wasn’t you and don’t forget about it. She may have been part of you, but now she’s gone. I have done my fair share of bad in my life as well, it’s not something I’m now proud of, but I was able to move on thanks to one thing my father had told me: ‘You can’t erase the past, but you can change the future’.”

“What dost thou mean by that?”

“That you can’t change what you did, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do some good in your life. If you will be given a chance, use it, instead of pushing it away, calming you don’t deserve it.”

Luna stayed silent for a bit, thinking about Revan’s words. “Very well, I will face my sister, and if she decides to give me a chance I won’t push it away, but if she shall chose to punish me I’m going to accept whatever it will be.” She said and lied on her bed, quickly falling asleep.

Twilight and Revan exchanged goodbyes and the unicorn left the room. The human looked around the room, looking for something to do. Luna was sleeping, so talking with her was not an option. Mischief was also lying asleep at his side. He didn’t feel tired, so sleeping himself was also out of the question.

Eventually his eyes fell on the broken alarm box on the wall. Even though Red Heart knew it was broken, no one was sent to deal with it. While Revan was not a specialist when it came to electronics, he certainly knew how to deal with them to a degree. One of many skills thought to him by his father.

He got out of his bed and used the covers to make some makeshift clothes. After taking the casing off, he inspected the damage. It wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. Only few broken wires and insulation that needed replacement in few places.

Before beginning to reconnect the wires, he cut off the power from the box. After looking at the broken wires again he realized that he doesn’t have tools to get the job done right. But he knew who’d probably have.

When Red Heart walked in before, he had noticed a janitor’s open closet through the door. Revan walked to the door and opened them. The hallway was rather long, but empty, a surprise to him as he’d expected it to be full of doctors, nurses and patients. On the other hand it was good, he won’t be bringing much attention to himself, especially considering that all he was wearing was a makeshift toga. Which even with his disregard about clothes made him feel stupid.

The door to janitor’s closet were in front of his room, he opened them and looked inside. The janitor was asleep on his chair and snoring loudly. He was a rather old earth pony with a light-green coat and a long, graying dark-green mane. His cute mark was covered by his working uniform. On his chest hung the nametag with ‘Grass Hooper’ written on it.

Staying as silent as possible, Revan took soldering iron, insulating tape, scissors, screwdriver, four bolt screws and few candies that lied the table. With everything he needed, he went back to his room. This time the hallway was occupied by one doctor. He stared at Revan, who waved at him. The doctor responded be weakly returning the wave and walking into one of the rooms.

Once back in the room, he placed all barrowed stuff on his bed and began to mark where to connect each of the wires and separate broken ones from those that were alright. With that done he picked soldering iron and began putting everything together.

After few minutes all cables were back in proper shape, so he took insulating tape and began putting it around places where wires were exposed. The last step was placing the casing back in place and replacing broken bolts. The whole process of fixing the alarm box took him about half an hour.

He put the power back on to the box and decided to give it as test run. For a second he thought about pressing the red button, but quickly dismissed the thought. Giving nurse a panic attack won’t be funny, and besides someone else might actually need help at the time. Nonetheless he wanted to ask Red Heart for something to eat.

He pressed the green button, which to his delight lightly glowed with weak green light.

In about the minute, nurse Red Heart came inside his room. “Welcome Revan, I see that our janitor finally took care of that little box, good. Now what is it that you need?”

“Oh, so that guy was supposed to take care of that.” He laughed a bit. “He was asleep in his closet. I got bored and fixed it myself.”

She facehoofed. “Eh, I swear I’m going to make sure they will kick that guy out. Wait, didn’t you say that you are some kind of a guard?”

“Yeah, so what?”

“Why did you become a guard if your special talent is fixing electronics?”

*SIGH*”I’ve already told it to Twilight and will tell you the same. Humans don’t have cute marks or anything like that, and never had. If you think it’s a joke look at my face and think about it again.” He gave her the most serious look he could muster.

At first she was smiling, but as Revan kept staring at her, smile began to drop. “Y-you’re serious aren’t you?” The look she was receiving gave her an answer. “Then how do you know what you’re supposed to do in your life!?”

“Listen, if those marks exist to define your job, then it just wouldn’t work in my world. If I’d just stay in place and stop developing my skill set I’d be quickly bested by competition on labor market and that would make getting any job harder.

I may be a ‘guard’ but I also finished law school and I was trained by my father in construction works. I could technically build a small house by myself. Other then that I speak freely in 4 languages: English, Polish, Russian and Spanish, (Equish, Ponysh, Kucsian, Spongish) and I have some knowledge about Japanese (Japoniese), but only enough to do some simple talking.”

Nurse looked at him oddly. “Um, alright, I think we should not talking about it because I just don’t get why you would learn how to do all that stuff. Now do you need me for something or did you just wanted to check does that thing work?”

“If you don’t mind, could you bring me something to eat?” Red Heart nodded and walked out of the room. After she was back, along with some food, she also took a set of bandages to replace the old ones. Revan asked her where could he take bath and wash himself before changing bandages.

After he ate, nurse led him to small bathroom where she wanted to help him wash himself. That led to repeating the conversation he had with Twilight regarding human’s nudity taboo. Like Twilight she found it really strange, but nonetheless still tried to make him let her help with washing him. Luckily no one was there to see them as it led to argument between the two.
Red Heart claimed it was her job to help him, and Revan was unwilling to let go of his makeshift clothes. Eventually nurse tried to force him into the bathroom. As an earth pony, Red Heart could use magic to strengthen herself, and she was using that ability as well as she could.

In normal state he would be able to push her back without much of a problem, but after spending 4 days lying unconscious on hospital bed, he was far from his norm. Nurse began pushing him into the room. Luckily for Revan, even though at the time he was weaker an average pony, he still had the advantage in terms of agility.

The moment Red Heart had him in front of the door, he slipped out of her grasp and jumped left. They kept dancing around the door for a few minutes, screaming at each other to the point when few patients that were staying in the nearby rooms, began looking at them.

As they kept their argument, one of other ponies that was taking care of cleaning duties in the hospital (it was a volunteer work), walked through the hallway. She stopped for a bit and looked at them. Revan noticed her and got the idea. After dogging another Red’s attempt to capture him, he made a run to the cleaner’s cart.

Before Red Heart managed to catch up, Revan was already holding the bucket of water he took from the cart. When nurse realized what he was about to do she tried to get away, but it was too late. Revan poured the contain on her, followed by putting the empty bucket on her head.

The human turned to the cleaner (green fur and mane, guess who that was) and simply said. “Sorry.” Not wasting any time he run to the bathroom as fast as he could, picking up the chair along the way.

He entered the bathroom and barricaded the door with the chair. Immediately he heard Red Heart trying to open the door. “Open this door you dumb monkey!”

“Sory, ta małpa nie mówi po nie-małpiemu.” ((Sorry, this monkey doesn’t talk non-monkeysh))

Nurse kept screaming through the door, but after some time she gave up and just sat there and waited for him to finish.

Meanwhile, Revan was washing himself in a bit too small bathtub, thinking about how interesting this stay in hospital may be…

Author's Note:

Little known fact:
This story began as a homework. In original, Revan (who didn't have name yet) wasn't a policeman, and Mischief was a small mongrel. Teacher never received my work however, because before I had a chance to give her that, I got really sick and had to stay home for 3 weeks.


I think it's obvious that this fic will follow the show's cannon, but not in the order episodes are presented. Before I'll began working on the next chapter, I'll put all episodes from season 1 to 3 in the order I'll follow in this story. Also, episodes of each season will be mixed, for example events of 'Hearts Warming Eve' happen before 'Winter Wrap Up'. I'll publish full list along with the chapter.


Song of a day: Linkin Park - No More Sorrow