• Published 11th Apr 2015
  • 6,790 Views, 45 Comments

Fluff and Kidnapping - Eyeswirl the Weirded



Rarity gets a very unexpected gift for her birthday. Meanwhile, Sunset searches the city with Aria and Sonata.

  • ...
4
 45
 6,790

Chapter 2: Unwrapping

As they weren't going at a blistering pace, catching up with Aria and Sonata had been pretty easy. "Hey," called Sunset, "wait up!"

The two turned, Aria crossing her arms. "Come to fess up, huh? Alright, where is she?"

Stopping to catch her breath, Sunset sighed a little. "I told you I don't know, but I'd like to help look for her."

Sonata tilted her head. "For realzies? Why?"

Feeling a little taken aback by the question, Sunset glanced away, rubbing one arm. "Well, we, we're, uh..." She hadn't really seen Adagio since she joined them at school for a day after the incident at Fatbear's Pizza, (even if she disappeared right after lunch) but what she was about to say still felt right. "We're friends, I think." The part she didn't want to share was that she had apparently been right two weeks ago. It looked like they really did miss Adagio as much as she would miss them.

Aria and Sonata shared a quick, uncertain look, the former speaking first. "Thanks, but we'll find her just fine on our own." She turned to keep walking, gesturing for Sonata to follow her, but the blue girl quickly looked back and forth between her and Sunset.

"One sec?" She grabbed Aria by the arm, pulling her closer in what was likely supposed to be a private huddle, but Sunset could still very clearly hear them. "She's supposed to be the smarty-pants of their group, remember? She might think of something to find Dagi!"

"Tch, like we'd need her to-" Sunset couldn't see their faces, but she knew they were looking one another in the eye, tension visibly draining out of Aria's posture as she quietly complied. "Yea, yea, fine." The two of them turned back, Aria shrugging a little. "Okay Shimmer, any bright ideas?"

Sunset smiled. "Maybe. Is it possible she just went out for a while?"

Sonata shook her head. "Nuh-uh. Dagi ALWAYS leaves us a note when she goes somewhere without warning. This morning? Bupkis."

"And the last time you saw her was?" She'd have suggested they just call her, but it seemed like Adagio still didn't have a phone.

"Last night," Aria answered, looking almost hopeful, "she got back from another job that didn't work out, we had dinner together, then she hit the hay. When we woke up, she was gone, no notes anywhere."

"Hm," mused Sunset, holding a hand to her chin in thought, "If that's the case, she either wanted to be alone for a while..." she hesitated, knowing they didn't want to hear this even if they'd already assumed it, "or, might have been abducted somehow." She forced an optimistic smile. "But, maybe she just wanted some air, took a walk, and lost track of time? Or even found a job while she was out and hasn't been able to get back yet? If it's one of those, we should check her normal hang-out spots away from home and anywhere in town that might be hiring. Have you looked in any of those already?"

Sonata smiled at Aria. "Toldja she'd be a brainiac!"

Aria shrugged lightly. "First thing that came to mind when there wasn't a note was that one of your pals must have gotten her somehow. Checked by the sweets-shop you guys usually hang in, heard there was a get-together goin' on at the prissy girl's place, you know the rest."

Making the mental note to correct the name choice later, (Rarity wasn't that prissy) Sunset nodded. "Okay, where does Adagio typically like to hang out?"

---

Sunset stared in silence at the spectacle before her. It wasn't that unusual, for her at least, to see people singing and dancing with little provocation... One more thing it felt like started with Twilight, actually, but the two grown, somewhat sweaty men in suits were making it weird somehow. She couldn't put her finger on it.

"There's legal opportunity,
In this very community!"
"He's Flim!"
"He's Flam!"
"And we're Miss Dazzle's faithful lawyers!
Her legal advisers, nonpareil!"

As their song went on, Aria rolled her eyes, whispering to Sunset. "They do this every other time we come by. Adagio convinced these guys to help us out once and sometimes she drops by to remind them that they work for her now, when she wants them."

Sunset couldn't help but notice (in addition to Sonata quietly bopping along to the Flim-Flam Brothers' tune) that Aria left out her own part in 'convincing' them to help. Standing in the Everything Under the Sun Emporium while it's owners sang with what she realized were forced smiles, it looked like Adagio was still... well, Adagio, when she wasn't looking for work. That made Sunset think of something, her cheeks tinting red. "W-when you say, wants them...?"

Aria's eyes widened, followed by hand-muffled laughter. "Nah, don't think so. She wouldn't be so high-strung all the time if she were getting any." She glanced at the still-singing brothers. "They'd probably find some way to charge her for it too, and she barely spends a dime if it isn't strictly necessary." Looking Sunset in the eye, she smirked. "That the first thing that popped into your head? Didn't know you 'goody' types could be so-"

Sunset blushed brighter, whispering through clenched teeth. "We're not, I'm j-just asking, y'know?"

"Uh-huh. Does this mean you guys really do have crazy seven-w-"

"NEXT LOCATION."

---

They didn't stick around for the Flim-Flam Brothers' whole song about being perfectly reliable and how there was no chance they'd skip town even if certain documents found their way back into their hands, though the two seemed relieved as the trio left.

The next closest spot they might have found her was a quiet little area of the park. It was a little stone plaza (for lack of better words) in maybe twenty square meters up some stairs and effectively walled off by closely-placed pillars that were likely just there for decoration, rather than to hold anything up. In the center of the area, surrounded by stone benches, was a large fountain with a statue similar to the one in front of the school.

Sunset took in the scene with quiet awe. "With how serene this place is and the skill of the masonry, I can hardly believe nobody is here to appreciate it."

"Well," Aria guessed, "it's probably got something to do with being so far from anything else. Did you notice that it's a ten-minute walk from here to the entrance?"

"That," Sonata added, "and there's no snack machines either, and the benches are harder than the wooden ones everywhere else, so it's not even great for stopping to take a break."

Taking another look around, Sunset could see what they meant. "Huh. Then, apart from the whole, 'peaceful-park' thing this place has going, why does Adagio come here?"

Aria rolled her eyes. "It's her-" she made mocking finger-quote gestures for emphasis "-'secret place' whenever she feels like moping about something, and this is a pretty good spot to be alone." She took a quick look around, not seeing a hint of orange fluff. "Guess she's not just down about something, at least."

That was a relief, if nothing else. Still, as pretty as the stony area was, they had to keep looking.

Sonata was pacing around the fountain, as if hoping to see Adagio at an angle they just hadn't noticed. "How do you know she's not sad about something anyway?"

Aria shrugged somewhat irritably. "Because she always comes here when she's bummed out, doofus."

Scowling, Sonata pointed at Aria. "Hey, name-calling! And it's Dagi, her bum is always sticking out, dummy!"

Neither of them noticed Sunset had started giggling.

Aria sputtered. "That is NOT what 'bummed out' means, idiot!" She blinked, reflecting for a second or two on the state of their leader's hindquarters. "But, yea, it is."

"It is what bummed out means?"

"What? No, it means, I mean it doesn't mean, I mean-" Aria held both hands to her head, groaning with exasperation. "This, THIS is what I mean when I say you're the worst!"

Sonata just looked more confused. "It means Dagi's butt sticks out when she's sad because I'm the worst?"

Aria pulled at her own ponytails. "AAAAGH!!"

Sunset had fallen to the floor laughing, rolling around and holding her sides.

Aria dragged a hand across her face. It was going to be a long day.

---

It's going to be a long day, thought Adagio, who was still tied up in a box. Unlike Rarity, who was still at the door. She thought of kicking the sides of the box, of trying to make enough noise to draw the visitor's attention, but if it didn't work, there was a risk of painful consequences from Rarity. She said she meant me no harm, but I doubt that'll hold if I push it.

She tensed at the sound of returning footsteps, part of her fearing Rarity knew what she was thinking somehow and had come to administer punishment. Instead, the lid came off and Rarity again showed an apologetic smile.

"Truly sorry about that." The smile was visibly forced. "Again. That one just took forever to leave, but it would only have raised questions if I slammed the door in their face or-" She stopped, rubbing the back of her head. "Good gracious, this is awkward."

Adagio rolled her eyes, which Rarity would have thought was quite difficult to do while glaring ferociously. The effect gave the impression that Adagio was very cross with her, the walls, and the ceiling, all in rapid succession, the look on her face all but saying Really? PLEASE, tell me all about it.

Rarity smiled a little. She's so expressive! Giving something of a self-conscious laugh, she went on. "Haha, so, like I was saying, I'm sorry you were kidnapped by my friends and-" The sound of the doorbell returned again, as did Rarity's abashed grin. "I'm just popular as popular can be today, aren't I?" Adagio stared back at her blankly, which at least didn't make her feel like a monster. "I'm sorry, I'll be back, again!"

Lid on, Rarity gone, Adagio was alone with her thoughts again.

...Well. It's a good thing I'm not claustrophobic. The pillow they left in here is very soft, too, so it's not that uncomfortable. Sonata would call this looking on the bright side, which made Adagio groan with bow-gag-muffled annoyance. I've been in this damn thing too long already if I'm starting to take her advice.

Rarity came back a lot faster this time, which is to say, in only around five minutes. "Alright, I'm starting to think I should hang a sign or something to say I'm away at the moment." Doorbell. Now even Rarity was starting to look agitated. "Definitely hanging a sign."

Once more, Rarity dispensed hasty apologies and went away.

Will she let me out if I pretend to cry? She might be about to do that anyway, when the visitors stop, and I'm not sure if I can work up the tears... She liked to think she was a convincing liar, but physical effect was a little trickier.

What felt like around ten minutes later, the lid came off. "Okay," Rarity said through a forced, but hopeful smile when she returned, "that should do the tri-" Now it was her phone that rang. Not a text message she could reply to in a minute or two, either. She rapidly looked back and forth between the waiting call and her unwilling, unwanted captive.

Adagio gave her a tired look and nodded to the phone, as if to say. 'Just go, I'll be right here.'

Rarity smiled a little. So expressive! "Back soon!"

More thinking time.

On second thought, it's shameful enough that I really broke down in front of one of them already. Twice and they'll all think I'm a weak, trembling little flower-girl.

Then Aria and Sonata would hear about it somehow and she'd really have a problem. Then again, she hadn't really seen any of the Rainbooms since the day she joined Sunset at school, if only long enough to hear her friends' inane suggestions on where she might be able to find lasting work. She may have tried two or three of those ideas in the end, but for all she knew, Sunset really didn't tell anyone that Adagio had cried like a little girl the night before.

It was just as she started to wonder if she'd be going to sleep in this box tonight that Rarity returned, tearing off the lid as though Adagio's box was a gift she had actually wanted to open. "Alright," she said, visibly exasperated, "that should be all of them, I'm going to untie you now." She leaned a little on the edge of the box, frowning. "But first, well... I know can't truly stop you, and you have every right to be angry about what's happened, but, could you please just think about forgiving my friends before doing anything rash?"

To Rarity's surprise, Adagio immediately and vehemently nodded in agreement. By the look on her face, it might have even been sincere. The truth was that she just badly wanted out of the box, her restraints, and this house, but little details weren't important at that moment.

Rarity gently reached toward Adagio's mouth to remove the bow-gag. There were no threats this time, not a single word from the girl still waiting to be properly set free. Suppose it's possible she's just, shall we say, biding her time before letting me know exactly how she feels... "The ropes on your arms may be something of a challenge with your hair in the way, do you think you could lie on your stomach?"

Adagio gave her a skeptical look, but gingerly complied, her hair brushed to the side as Rarity went to work.

The silence grew heavier with each passing minute, but eventually Adagio's hands were free. To Rarity's relief, they didn't go straight to her throat, but to the ropes binding Adagio's ankles together as she tried to undo the knots herself, to no avail. This seemed to embarrass her a little as she looked back and forth between the ropes and Rarity. "Uh-"

Rarity smiled at her. "I can get them, darling, but your feet are a little hard to reach in the box. Do you think you could rest on the couch for a few minutes?"

It was with Rarity offering a hand the whole time that Adagio managed to hop out of the box and over to the couch with her legs tied together, a display she was grateful to have as few witnesses for as possible.

Rarity knelt down to undo the ropes wrapped around Adagio's boots. Pinkie had apparently had some fun finding how many ways she could wrap them around high heels at once. A shame as it was to undo the celtic patterns her favorite party planner had somehow woven into knotwork, Rarity made steady progress.

"I think I'm almost done, just a few more of these-OUCH!!"

Adagio jumped with a start, trying to angle her head to see what just happened. "What?!"

Rarity withdrew a hand that had a thin line of red along the side of that palm. "Ow." Tilting her head a little to get a better look at the back of the heels, she remembered that Adagio wore spiky boots. "Good heavens, those are sharper than they look!"

Adagio frowned a little, averting her eyes. "Not sharp enough to cut the ropes, clearly."

"Perhaps not, but still! Hold on, I've almost got you out of them."

When the last of the ropes were finally removed, Adagio quickly stood up and ran (stumbled, really, she'd been in a box for hours) to the door. She had almost turned the handle when a thought stopped her.

Rarity sat where she'd been in silence, Adagio slowly turning around to face her. A stream of cold dread slithered through Rarity's chest, and she was sure that if it weren't so expertly styled, her hair would be standing on end!

Facing her, Adagio raised a hand to point a finger like a commander directing their troops. "I am not afraid of you," she hissed through gritted teeth, stepping closer, "not afraid of anyone. To prove it, I'm not going anywhere until I've been compensated for waking up in a box. And since it was your idiot friends that brought me here," when she was close enough, she lifted Rarity to her feet by her wrist, looking magnitudes more intimidating now that she wasn't tied up, "you may as well make it worth my while." Glancing down, she noticed the cut from a moment ago on Rarity's hand.

Rarity noticed too, pointing at it with her other hand. "Er, c-could I just...?"

Adagio let go, averting her eyes. "That, you should, y-yes, um... Don't want you bleeding on me."

"Right," Rarity nodded appreciatively as she moved toward the kitchen sink, "I'll deal with this, thank you."

Adagio shrugged, waiting in place as Rarity cleaned and bandaged the small wound.

It's not my fault, she thought to herself, so what if my boots are sharp? My kidnappers apparently didn't lacerate themselves to death when tying me up, she just wasn't careful. It's not my fault!

She wasn't the least bit sorry. She'd spent the better part of the morning in a box, delivered to this girl as a living present! Rarity was lucky a little cut was the only thing she'd-

The cut might form a scar. If it were her own beauty permanently marred, Adagio knew she'd be furious. Rarity didn't even seem to care. Having the sleeves torn from her perplexing metal-thing jacket reduced the girl to tears, but scars didn't bother her? Adagio had a theory, hesitantly approaching Rarity as she finished wrapping her hand.

"S-sorry."

Rarity jumped a little, whipping around to face her. "What?"

She avoided eye-contact, speaking quietly. "Your hand. It might leave a scar, and you got cut on my-"

She was cut off by Rarity laughing. "Ohh, please don't worry about it, it doesn't matter if I do get a little scar from this." In response to Adagio's baffled look, she smiled almost smugly. "Darling, with my complexion, scars are all but invisible." She wiggled her fingers where Adagio could see. "I have several on my hands from years of cutting and sewing fabric, this little nic is nothing to write home about."

"Oh. Good, good." Her theory was apparently wrong, but at least it meant Rarity wasn't just keeping her cool until the time to exact retribution for the cut came, as Adagio herself might have done. The wound is properly dressed, too. Good.

"So," Rarity said with unhampered enthusiasm, "how long were you trapped like that, exactly?"

Adagio crossed her arms, failing to summon the right amount of contempt. "I woke up in there."

Rarity nodded a little. "Right, then I would imagine you haven't eaten breakfast yet." She paced back toward the living room. "I could prepare something given some time, or," she glanced toward a tall pan on the snack table, "you're more than welcome to leftover birthday cake, if you like. Still quite fresh, as well!"

"That's an odd choice of bre-..." She sighed. Cake for the first meal of the day? Suppose I haven't exactly kept a healthy diet the last several weeks anyway. "Very well."

Rarity beamed at her. "This might be hard to believe, but Pinkie Pie is much better with cooking than she is with rope-work."

"You would be right," Adagio said with a raised eyebrow, "I do find that hard to believe."

Rarity giggled, lifting the pan to reveal half the cake still untouched. "She worked on this one with Fluttershy, and you haven't lived until you've tasted that girl's frosting mix."

Adagio started mentally compiling the day's oddities. Kidnapped in her sleep, trussed up and put in a box, offered as a living present for someone that just wanted to style her hair, released without too much trouble, and fed birthday cake in something between hospitality and apology by her entirely-too-okay-with-this host.

And it wasn't even noon.

She didn't dare ponder whether Rarity seemed so calm and welcoming because she was trying to make up for the kidnapping, or in spite of it. Like if things like this happened often enough that she just wasn't really fazed by it anymore. Considering how she and the others stood against magical beings in a world not meant to have any of them on two separate occasions, the possibilities felt weighted.

---

When they'd finished, Adagio silently conceded that this was, if nothing else, a much better meal than the cold pizza she'd shared with Sunset Shimmer in that death-trap of a restaurant.

"So," Rarity asked while setting her fork down, "how was it?"

Adagio shrugged. "For someone that abducts people when she's short on gift ideas, your friend isn't a bad cook."

Having caught the pleased faces Adagio made (So expressive!) for the first several mouthfuls, Rarity just smiled. She would have brought up an offer made at the lunch table two weeks ago, but that they hadn't seen Adagio since made her answer rather evident.

"Now," Adagio said in an authoritative tone, arms crossed and one leg resting on the other, "I've sampled the efforts of two of your friends, and I understand your line of work is something I may be able to appreciate."

Rarity blinked twice. They stared at one another in silence for a solid minute.

Adagio's cheeks tinted red. "I heard you were skilled with wardrobes. While my own isn't lacking, I wouldn't mind the occasional-"

Rarity jumped up, starry-eyed and beaming as she clasped her hands together. "We can get started right away!"

Quick as a whip, she moved over to Adagio, grabbed her by the wrist, and started hauling her off somewhere. It was eerily reminiscent of being dragged around Fatbear's by Sunset Shimmer, right down to the weird little sense of foreboding that came with being pulled fast enough that she had to really move to not fall on her face.

Rarity kept her enthusiasm as they went. "We should probably wash your hair first. If you hadn't eaten yet, I doubt you had the opportunity to shower, either, and it looked a little cramped and... if I may say so, warm in that box anyway."

Still just trying to keep up, Adagio gulped. Maybe I should have just run?

Author's Note:

I'm only aiming for friendshipping this time, there will be no (deliberate) RarDagio, SunNata, SunAria, or even AriaNata in this series.