• Published 12th May 2012
  • 1,836 Views, 48 Comments

There is a Season - ArdanBlade



Equestria is at war, Twilight struggles with boys, and a terrible power returns from the dead!

  • ...
3
 48
 1,836

Of Plots and Parties

Chapter 5
Of Plots and Parties

Though it was the middle of the day, Princess Luna couldn't sleep. Deep in her heart, a tiny pain had been lingering, like something feeding on her very soul. Creeping from her darkened chambers, the alicorn slipped through the quiet halls of Canterlot Castle, glancing here and there as she went. It was so different without much of the Royal Guard here. Even though they were silent, there was a certain life imparted to the place by their very presence, a life that had been missing since their departure.

Making her way into the lowest levels of the Castle, Luna approached an ancient stone sealed door. Over the gateway, carved in an ancient tongue almost forgotten by her subjects, was a beautiful script telling the sad tale of the Dreamless War. Within this door was the Crypt of Dreams, where ponies from every walk of life slept, trapped in an eternal slumber. Among them, Luna knew, lay Captain Everbold.

"What would you do right now?" Luna asked the door, as if her friend might hear her from beyond it's walls. "I still need your help…"

* * *

Twilight was finally starting to feel confident. She and Rarity had spent the morning talking about all the stuff that had happened, giggling with each other over the antics of Rarity's guests. Then they went out, got some lunch, and took things easy. It was always a task for her, but Twilight had gotten herself to unwind, enjoy life, and laugh.

They were walking back to the library from Le Délicieux Jonquille (Rarity's current favorite restaurant) when Pinkie Pie spotted them and trotted up. "Hey, girls!"

"Oh, hey Pinkie Pie." Twilight replied with a smile.

"Guess what?" Pinkie began. "I'm throwing a great big party for all of the Guards, and everypony is invited!"

"Oh how lovely, that would prove a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know them better." Rarity joined in.

"Yeah I know, and I was talking with the Lieutenant of the Guard," Twilight felt herself shrink a bit at Pinkie's mention of Thundercloud, "who said we should make it a date party! He's going to tell all of his soldiers to find somepony to bring to the party, so we can all make friends!"

"Did he now?" Rarity sounded pleased. "I wonder which one will ask me to attend?" She was already going dreamy eyed, staring off into nothing as her fantasies took over.

"Yeah, he did!" Pinkie answered unnecessarily. "So I was thinking, we should all join in and make sure to ask at least one Guard pony, just in case!"

"Oh, it'll be so romantic!" Rarity dramatized. "Like getting to have another hearts and hooves day!"

"Aren't you already getting enough pampering?" Twilight teased, raising one eyebrow at Rarity.

"You can never be too pampered." Rarity answered with a smile.

Twilight was about to respond when Thundercloud, his flowing mane freshly groomed, stepped up. "Good afternoon, I hope I am not interrupting?"

"Oh no, we were just talking about the party." Rarity replied, fluttering her eyelashes outrageously. "Aren't you that handsome Guard Lieutenant?"

"Well, I'm not sure I would take it that far," Thundercloud replied with a smirk, then he turned to Twilight, "but yes. My name is Thundercloud, and I wish to apologize."

"Apologize for what?" Twilight asked, looking a little surprised.

"I feel that I may have come on too strong earlier, and wished to make amends." He answered, looking embarrassed.

Twilight felt that rising nervousness, and she glanced over at her friends. Pinkie Pie was was nodding and smiling, while Rarity drew close. "Don't be nervous, dear. He just wants to be friends. Go ahead, give him a chance."

"Okay." Twilight whispered, her guts turned to ice. She turned to Thundercloud, drew herself up with a long breath, and tried again. "No apology necessary, I wasn't exactly being a good host, and I want to apologize for my behavior."

Thundercloud smiled warmly. "Apology accepted, and perhaps we could get off on the right hoof by attending your friend's party together?"

Twilight could practically feel the energy coming off Pinkie Pie, who was vibrating the ground with her excitement. She still felt her nerves standing on end, that desire to be anywhere else, but she didn't want to disappoint her friends, or ruin things after Thundercloud had been so generous with her. She tried to nod, but it came across more like hanging her head in defeat. "Sure, I'd love to attend with you."

"I'm glad to hear it, Twilight." He answered, almost too quickly. "Shall I meet up with you tonight then?"

Looking up at the stallion she had agreed to attend the party with. He was handsome as Rarity pointed out, his thick, black mane and tail complimenting his regally white coat. He had a golden mark upon his forehead and mouth, and beaming dark blue eyes. He should have been a dream, so why did she still feel this way?

As she walked slowly away, the happy sounds of her friends chatting with Thundercloud flowed past her. She continued on into the library, nudging the door open and passing through, her voice rising slowly as she began to sing to herself.

"I know I should like what I see,

Accept all that he could be.

Yet my heart keeps saying,

He's a stranger to me."

She plodded slowly up the stairs, nuzzled her way into the bed, and curled up under her blanket, wishing she could disappear.

* * *

Fluttershy walked over the earthen bridge leading to her house, smiling as all the animals she cared for greeted her. Birds of every variety fluttered from their houses that filled the trees about her residence, while squirrels, bunnies, badgers, mice, and all a manner of other animals scurried happily about her.

Suddenly a streak of white burst from the house, which looked like a massive bush on a hill, filled with doors, windows, and nests. The streak resolved itself into Fluttershy's most faithful pet, a little white bunny named Angel. He dashed right up and gave the yellow filly a big hug around her foreleg.

"Oh, hello Angel. Did you have a good time while I was away?" Fluttershy asked with a smile.

Angel responded with a frown, then a series of gestures and taps of his foot.

"Oh my, I suppose they can be a handful, can't they." Fluttershy nuzzled Angel. "But I'm sure you did a wonderful job keeping everything together."

Angel puffed his chest out proudly, then joined the little parade as they trekked up to her doorstep.

"Well hello there." Came the sultry voice of Wildfire, sending many of Fluttershy's animal friends scurrying away in fear. Angel, seeing the blotchy pegasus, got defensively in front of Fluttershy, setting his jaw and pantomiming rolling his sleeves.

"Hello again, you're Rainbow Dash's friend. Wildfire was it?" Fluttershy asked shyly.

"You could say that." Wildfire answered, looking half bored. "She's not bad, but the filly needs to lighten up, let a stallion do his thing, if you know what I mean."

"Oh, um, yes, I suppose." Fluttershy stammered, caught off guard by his sudden advances.

"So anyway," he said, walking up to her, shoving Angel roughly aside, "I heard your friend Pinkie Pie was throwing a party, and all us Guard ponies are supposed to bring a date."

Fluttershy found herself backing up, her eyes darting at the stream behind her, then at her unwanted suitor. He continued advancing, his eyes suggesting things she didn't want to think about right now. "How about it. You, me, some quality time. I'll bet a girl like you knows how to appreciate a proper stallion."

"Well… no." Fluttershy dropped back, letting her wings beat just enough to carry her back over the stream. At that same moment, Wildfire took one step too many, his attention so fixed on Fluttershy that he failed to notice the sudden drop.

With a yelp, Wildfire went over the ledge, splashing into the stream below. Fluttershy took her opportunity to speed swiftly into the safety of her home. Slamming the door, she quickly closed her curtains, then peeked out of one at the sopping form of Wildfire emerging from his impromptu bath. Shaking out his mane, the irate Guard pony yelled a few obscenities before flying off. As he disappeared into the sky, Fluttershy released the breath she had been holding on to.

Looking back at her room, she started calling the animals out from their hiding spots, comforting them with the sound of her voice. Wildfire was gone for now, she thought. As she fed her pets, she glanced out the window again. He would be back though, of that, she was certain.

* * *

Halfway across town, Boldheart couldn't stop laughing. He and Apple Bloom had met up with the rest of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Sweetie Belle, Rarity's little white sister who wore her mane in pink and lavender curls, and Scootaloo, a tomboyish orange pegasus with an ungroomed purple mane and tail.

The foursome had volunteered to help Pinkie Pie with setting up the party, and the girls were trying to earn their cutie marks in decorating, which was turning into a mess. Scootaloo tried gliding between trees with a long party streamer in her mouth, only to find her tiny wings didn't want to lift her, so she went crashing into Sweetie Belle's carefully set up cup tower, tangling the white filly in the streamer as she went.

Trotting up to the two Crusaders, Boldheart started untangling Sweetie Belle while Apple Bloom helped Scootaloo back to her feet. Scootaloo shook her head, trying to regain her senses from the crash as she lamented in her curiously boyish voice. "Well that went well. Hey Apple Bloom, I don't have a cutie mark for crashing yet, do I?"

"Ahahahaha!" Boldheart and Sweetie Belle promptly fell about laughing at the remark, sending cups skittering in every direction. The other two started giggling, and soon the four of them were all rolling about mirthfully.

"Private Boldheart." The flat, military voice of Sgt. Ramrod cut through the fun like a knife popping a balloon.

"Yes Sergeant?" Boldheart quickly righted himself, standing as straight as he could.

"Why are preparations taking so long? I assume you have time to spend playing instead of carrying out orders?" Sgt. Ramrod paced in front of Boldheart, who was doing his best to look detached. The fillies watched the scene with dread and fascination, wondering what was going to happen.

"No, Sergeant!" Boldheart snapped out a reply.

"I didn't think so. Get to work, no more clowning around. I will not have a soldier under my command behaving in such a shameful manner."

"Yes Sergeant!" Boldheart replied again.

"Have you found somepony to bring to the celebration yet?" It was more of a demand than a question.

"I have not, Sergeant."

"Carry on." Sgt. Ramrod walked off, still looking as mean as could be.

"That was…" Scootaloo seemed lost for a response.

"Scary." Sweetie Belle piped up, finishing her sentence.

"Who was that guy?" Apple Bloom asked, looking up at the shaken Boldheart.

"That is Sgt. Ramrod, one of the toughest ponies in the entire Guard." Boldheart replied, his voice barely keeping flat. Deep inside, he wanted to run, to scream, or even to lash out. Glancing at the fillies, he knew he couldn't, lest he scare them. No, it was better that he keep his fears to himself. He might not have been as big or strong as some of the other Guard, but he wouldn't let his nerve fail, ever. Ponies' lives might depend on it someday.

"Hey, Boldheart." Apple Bloom looked up at him.

"Yeah?" Boldheart tried to soften his voice, which still quavered.

"You can always invite us ta come with ya." She said hopefully.

Boldheart felt his fears and anxiety melt away, replaced by a warm glow that flooded him with appreciation. "Sure, I'd love to attend the party with some good friends."

"Yay!" The Cutie Mark Crusaders whooped. As the three little fillies hugged him, Boldheart felt himself grow strong. For them, for that friendship, he could face a thousand Sgt. Ramrods. Their friendship was worth it.

* * *

Beyond the borders of Equestria, in places where the clouds and seasons were their own masters, past the Mountain of Misery, sitting upon a small island the vast Lake of Stars, stood Midnight Castle. This dark fortress, carved of stone by the power of ancient unicorn kind, had stood as a monument to greed, fear, and the darkness that can fill a pony's heart. Little did anypony know just how dark this place truly was.

Deep within it's fortified walls, a queen sat in thought. The dark, dank decor of the castle hall suited her and her kind. She gave herself a moment to enjoy the scrape and rattle of insect carapaces, the flutter of errant wings, and the odd breathing of the teeming mass of sleeping insects.

She, like them, was a changeling, though Queen Chrysalis was far more than her chittering servants. Covered in a black, armored hide, with a long, gnarled horn, a flowing mane of sickly teal hair, protruding fangs, terrible green eyes, and dark insect wings folded over an odd patch of fluorescent green on her back. This was only her normal appearance, however, for every changeling could take the image of anypony at will, so that they might sap the love of others. Even the thought of stealing that luscious love energy was mouthwatering to the dark queen.

First, however, there were bigger obstacles to face. Princess Celestia was far more clever than she would ever admit, yet here she was, driven from Equestria by that infuriating Shining Armor. Even with their changeling powers, her people were no fighters, and could not hope to face the Equestrian Guard in combat.

Pacing to the window, she looked out over the inky waters of the Lake of Stars, which adamantly refused to reflect the blue sky. Cunning, it had always been her strategy to think, then to act. Ponies were rarely so, and could easily be foaled, yet it would only be a matter of time before they figured out what was happening. Of course, she had already made inroads, and was working to bring her myriad plans to fruition. It seemed there could be a better option however, something she was missing, and couldn't quite put her hoof on it.

"Glorious, isn't it?" The voice sent shivers crawling up the changeling's back. She turned to face the newcomer, who walked through the room as if seeing it all, yet fearing none of the creatures about him. He was a simple grey pony, his features just starting to wrinkle with age. "No matter how many years I live, I shall never tire of seeing the world in it's pure, natural beauty."

Queen Chrysalis rolled her eyes. Why did he have to be such an old mare in his musings? "I get it, grandpa. Now can we get on with planning? I grow bored of your day."

"Patience." He replied, his tone even. "Have you learned nothing from your long years?"

"I have better things to do than prattle with withered colts." She replied irritably.

"Oh? Have you now?" A knowing smile spread across the pony's face. "And what, pray tell, is your grand plan to conquer Equestria?"

"I shall-" Chrysalis stopped. Despite her best efforts, Celestia was always watching, countering her move for move. It infuriated her, but the old one was right. Her plans would not simply give her what she desired. "Very well, what is your grand plan?"

"Hahaha, so you are learning, young Queen." He sounded like somepony's grandfather chuckling at the antics of a foal. She gritted her teeth, keeping her mouth firmly closed. He walked past her to the window, relishing the sun's warmth and the cool breeze coming across the lake. "Have you not seen my plans already taking shape? Even Celestia is putty in my hooves."

"How so, oh wise one?" Chrysalis scoffed. "With her Guard standing watch, what can my changelings do with them paying so close attention?"

"It is simple," he looked back at her, his smile growing, "young ponies are easily frightened. Certainly they see the Guard as a shield, protecting them, do they not?"

"Obviously!" Chrysalis was losing her patience. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Everything." He shook his head, still smiling at her. "With so many new ponies to be found everywhere, how hard would it be to merely overlook one or two." His eyes seemed to flash. "Or even have somepony go missing?"

Chrysalis was taken aback. She had hardly considered it before. "What does that have to do with ponies being frightened? Surely they feel safe now."

"Yes, they do," he paced back past her, "and surely they still will when ponies start to disappear. Or when changelings are sighted, yet never found. They will feel safe then, right?"

"They would-" Realization struck her. "They would worry for the ones missing! The Guard ponies would grow nervous, and so too the populace in turn!"

"Now you see." He nodded to her. "Let them start to feel that Guard ponies mean danger is near. They will start to second guess themselves, whisper rumors, to fear."

"I see, but what of Princess Celestia? We must still contend with her, and fear will not so easily remove that threat."

"Sever the head, and the body dies, does it not?" He turned to face her again.

"Yes, but how would we strike at Celestia? She is too powerful! She would toss us aside like chattel!" The Queen paced anxiously, watching her strange benefactor.

"Hahaha, hardly." He laughed softly again. "For one who prides herself at being cunning, you so love to overestimate your foes."

"But what would you expect me to do? I can not so easily deceive Celestia."

"Then do not deceive her. She is not the head you must strike." He looked a bit disappointed. "With one action, you can stab the Princess in her very heart, eliminate the Elements of Harmony, and cripple the command structure of the Equestrian Guard."

"What!? How could it be so simple!?" Chrysalis' outburst echoes around the chamber, waking many of her servants. "There is no way!"

"There is a way," his tone remained soft, "but you must do as I tell you, or you will fail."

Queen Chrysalis felt a sinking feeling deep within her. She was selling her soul to this pony, yet he offered her unimaginable power! Swallowing her pride, she bowed her head, still watching him cautiously. "I will do as you say."

"Good." He answered, and began walking away. "Sever the head."

"How do I do this?" Dread crept into her voice, but the pact was made. She was his now.

"Simple." He answered, looking back at her with one cold, heartless eye. "Kill Twilight Sparkle."