• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 2,102 Views, 63 Comments

Once Upon a Nightmare - Maran



When the Nightmare possesses Vice Principal Luna, it's up to the new Team Harmony to set things right. This is NOT a retread of the pilot episode.

  • ...
3
 63
 2,102

9 - Necessary Evil

Author's Note:

This story was started before “Friendship Games” and the second half of Season Five aired. I decided to retcon Pinkie's family situation to better fit what we see in “Hearthbreakers” (thanks to xgfhj for the suggestion) but I'm ignoring everything else from the second half of Season 5, and from Friendship Games. This fanfic would require a massive rewrite if I tried to make it fit the third movie's continuity, so I figured it was best to make this fanfic an AU.

Chapter 9 - Necessary Evil

Naturally, Luna felt terrible about using the sleeping potion on Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash, and about causing the other students distress. It would have been easier for everyone if all six of the Element Bearers had drunk the cider. However, the potion acted faster than either Luna or the Nightmare had expected, so as soon as the other four girls saw what happened to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, they knew not to drink it. Seeing that she couldn't do anything more to the students without blowing her cover, Luna retreated, heading for her office to rethink her plan. If only she had known that Sunset Shimmer didn't like cider, her original plan would have worked. Since the girl was still awake, though, she was sure to figure out that Luna was behind the sleeping potion. She was smart, after all, and she also knew more about magic than Luna did.

'But she doesn't know more than I do!' said the Nightmare. 'And even if she does figure out that we gave them the potion, it's her word against ours.'

But everyone knows I'm the only other person who can use magic, thought Luna.

'Do they? How many other people have actually seen us?'

Well, there's my sister, the Riches, and the six students who can use magic. A tremble shook Luna's entire body. She wondered if it was simply because she'd been in the form of an elderly person too long.

'You are correct,' answered the Nightmare. 'We will need to resume our basic magic form soon.'

See, that's what I'm talking about. We can't keep our magic a secret for much longer. I don't know if I should even try anymore. 'Miss Shimmer and the other Bearers won't be able to stop us without Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.'

Luna halted in her tracks and blinked in shock as she realized how her thoughts had segued into the Nightmare's voice without a hitch. This seemed wrong.

Before she could dwell on that idea, she convulsed, almost doubling over as her body could no longer hold its shrunken, aged shape. The shape-shifting magic released her true form – her true Nightmare state. Her back straightened and her arms and legs stretched out. And of course, the wings grew out of her back once more. Luna felt much better – physically, at least. Her wings didn't even feel that strange anymore.

'Do you want to fly down the hallway then?'

Not a chance, thought Luna as she approached the door to her office. Suddenly, the knob to Celestia's door turned, just a few feet down the hall. Although the Nightmare screamed at her to teleport away, Luna couldn't decide how to react, and so she found herself face to face with her sister. Tia's eyes widened with surprise and relief as she ran to Luna and pulled her into a hug. Luna blinked, unsure of how to react.

“I was worried Luna,” said her sister, even though she needn't have said it out loud. Her concern and relief showed more strongly in her face and body language. “What happened? Why did you turn off your phone?” She pulled back, keeping her pale hands on Luna's shoulders.

“My phone?” Luna patted her dress and felt in her pockets. “I don't know what happened to it. I don't remember turning it off.”

“Well, where was the last place you saw it?”

“It was right after I sent you that text this morning.” Luna's mouth twitched. “It's possible that I accidentally transformed it while I was experimenting with magic.”

Taking a step back, Celestia narrowed her eyes. “You experimented with magic?”

Luna nodded, not sure why Celestia was so wary. “I'm getting better at controlling it.”

“You may have destroyed your phone!” yelled her sister, clenching her fists.

Luna's mouth fell open. Tia seldom raised her voice, but Luna had to admit that her sister's anger was justified.

“I – maybe I can use my magic to bring it back,” stammered Luna.

Celestia shook her head. “It's obvious to me that you have no idea what you're doing. I told Miss Shimmer, Miss Dash, and the other students not to use magic, and I suggest you do the same until we figure out how to use it safely.”

The Nightmare sent a pulse of anger through her. 'She can't tell us what to do!'

She does outrank us, thought Luna. Out loud, she said, “How can we figure out how to use magic without actually doing it?”

“I don't know,” said Tia. “But I do know that those girls could have sent you to the moon, according to Miss Shimmer.” Her rose-colored eyes softened. “If something happened to you, I don't know what I'd do.”

Luna reached out to her sister and put her hand on her shoulder. “I assure you that those girls will not send me to the moon. I'm capable of taking care of myself, even without a phone.”

With a faint smile, Celestia said, “I know you're not a child anymore, but I can't help worrying about you sometimes.” Her smile faded. “Especially now that you have another voice in your head who doesn't have good intentions.”

Luna grew uncomfortable. “The voice and I have an understanding.”

“Why didn't you tell me that the voice is called the Nightmare?” pressed her sister.

“I didn't tell you because...” Luna looked down at her navy blue shoes. “I didn't tell you for the same reason the Nightmare didn't tell me that I'll look like a teenager after it leaves me. I knew you'd object, and I didn't want to hear it. I guess...I guess a big part of me really wants this to work.”

“What? A teenager?” Celestia wrinkled her brow. “How could you stay young after the magic leaves you?”

'Because those who are touched by powerful magic such as I are forever changed.'

“Such as you?” asked Tia. “Am I...” Her eyes widened. “Am I talking to the Nightmare right now?”

Luna's hands flew over her mouth. She hadn't even realized that the Nightmare had said those words out loud using her lips. How many times had it done that?

'This was the first time, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you're going to tell your elder sister everything I think and feel, I might as well speak directly to her.'

The Nightmare's resentment and irritation swept through Luna, but the voice stayed inside her mind, since she held her hands over her mouth.

Gingerly, Celestia placed her hands on Luna's shoulders. “This has to stop. I'm saying this to Luna, now.” Her eyebrows tabled. “Can't you see what the Nightmare is doing to you? She's taking control over you and turning you into – well, not exactly a raging she-demon, but I fear that you could go down the same path if the Nightmare has its way.”

Before either Luna or the Nightmare could respond, her sister's phone rang. Tia grimaced and pulled her phone out of her pocket.

“It's Nurse Redheart. It's probably important.” She tapped the screen and held the phone to her ear. “Hello, Nurse Redheart.”

Either Celestia had her speaker turned up very loud, or Luna's pony ears could hear better than her human ears, because Luna heard every word Nurse Redheart said.

“Principal Celestia, you should come down to the cafeteria. We've got an emergency situation.”

“Oh dear.” Tia cringed. “What is it this time?”

“Two of the students ingested poison and lost consciousness.”

“It wasn't a poison,” said Luna. “It was a sleeping potion.”

Celestia gasped, her eyes darting around. “How did you know?”

“I don't know for sure if it was poison,” answered Redheart, “but the other students told me that they passed out soon after they drank some apple cider.”

“No, I was talking to Vice Principal Luna,” Celestia told her. She gazed into Luna's eyes. “How did you know, Luna?”

Taking a deep breath, Luna said, “Because we were the ones who gave it to them.”

Tia's pupils constricted. “What? No! Luna, please tell me you're joking!”

Luna held up her hand with her palm facing her sister. “Listen, I gave Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie a potion that will make them sleep for a little while. No harm will come to them, and they will not be able to harm me either. As you pointed out, they could have sent me to the moon. With Miss Dash and Miss Pie asleep, their friends' powers are greatly diminished.”

Celestia faltered. “But how? Why?”

Luna's wings spread. “I am learning so much about magic from the Nightmare, and as I told you, I'm getting better at controlling my magic. Now all I need to do is start questioning the students to find out if they've noticed any strange magical forces – besides myself, of course. But I should give them time to calm down after the excitement at lunch.” She put her finger to her chin. “Perhaps tomorrow morning during homeroom.”

Her sister grabbed her wrist. “Stop! This isn't you!”

“Oh no Tia.” Luna shook her head. “I'm me, but I'm so much more now!”

Celestia trembled – with fear or anger, Luna couldn't be sure. “You have to tell the Nightmare to leave at once! If you don't, then I'll suspend you from your position!”

Luna shook off her sister's hand at last. “Make me leave.” Her hands glowed electric blue. “I dare you.”

Tia gasped and took a step back. Luna would never physically hurt her sister, but she had to show her who was in charge at this time. She called on her magic aura and made it surround Celestia's phone. Her sister was so surprised that she let it go, and the phone drifted in a wobbly course toward Luna's ear.

“Nurse Redheart, this is Luna. Inform the students that I am now the acting principal of CHS.”