• Published 21st May 2015
  • 3,339 Views, 159 Comments

Six Trans Mares - pertelote345



The mane six wake up as rule 63 versions of themselves. They rapidly begin suffering from gender dysphoria and seek transition back to their former selves, all the while figuring out what sort of monster did this to them.

  • ...
61
 159
 3,339

On the banking of genetic material...

Author's Note:

Warning: This chapter contains some mild descriptions of reproductive biology. It is not clop, nor terribly explicit, but it does come up as part of the story.

Twilight

The mare smirked at me. "So you think your special?"

I lowered my newspaper and eyed her from my cushy waiting room chair. She had a bright yellow coat coat and a solid red mane, nothing too fancy. She wore a skirt, so I couldn't make out her cutie mark.

"Uh... I mean, everyone has something about them that makes them unique." I replied. It was how we got cutie marks after all.

She kept that little smirk on her face. There was something unnerving about it. "Oh, but you're extra special aren't you?"

Rainbow Dash leaned over, putting her Daring Do book to the side. "What are you talking about? You mean because sh- I mean, he's an alicorn?"

I winced. I had told Rainbow that we should refer to ourselves as stallions for the moment, at least to the non-hospital staff, but it still felt weird. I was glad to have her though... Fluttershy was too nervous, AJ needed to work, Rarity was still trying to research more clinics and Pinkie just seemed sort of listless about the whole thing... But at least I had Dash with me.

The yellow mare shook her head. "No... Not that... It must be so strange being a couple of boys in a place like this." She gestured to the rest of the room, lined with pictures of happy babies and filled with couples and pregnant mares... There were very few solo stallions in the clinic, I had to admit.

Still, at this point she was just getting rude. "If you're implying that Rainbow and I are a couple, then you're mistaken, not that it would be terribly shameful if we were." I started raising up my newspaper, but she caught it with a hoof.

She still had that smirk... "Oh, but I don't think you're together. Gay stallions tend to go to specialized clinics, no I you're a couple of those crazy stallions that think their mares."

I froze. "H-how did you? I'm not..."

The smirk grew wider. She leaned in to me. "So very special aren't we? Nature just isn't good enough huh? I bet you think when this is all over you'll be a real mare. But deep down yo kno-"

"Miss, I'm going to have to ask you to step back." Came a stern voice.

I looked up and saw a zebra mare in a lab coat looking very cross.

The yellow mare turned around to face her. "And who are you? The secretary?"

The zebra glared at her. "I'm the mare who owns this practice, now are you going to leave the premises or am I going to have to call security?"

The mare held up her hooves, perfectly nonchalant. "Very well then..." She gave me a look. "See you later, Princess..." That said, she walked out.

The zebra shook her head. "I'm terribly sorry about that. I can assure you that mare will never be allowed in here again."

I smiled. "Thank you... Doctor Mto?" I asked, hoping I was pronouncing it right.

She nodded. "I was just coming out to get you two. Are you sure you want to do this together."

Rainbow blushed. "Um... I kinda... I mean, Twilight's a friend, but..."

I giggled. It felt good to laugh. "Rainbow she means the consult, not the 'deposit'."

She blinked. "Oh... I knew that."

Doctor Mto smiled. "Why don't we step into my office?"

#

"So, what are your goals?" The doctor asked. Her office was soothing, with pictures of a parrot and a little filly zebra on her desk. She even had a wide open window behind her showing off a well tended garden. It was nice. It almost put me at ease. Almost.

Rainbow shrugged. "We're going on hormones soon and we want to be able to have kids after. You can do that right?"

She nodded. "May I ask, do you expect your future partners to be mares or stallions?"

I blinked... Oh boy there was a doozy... How was I going to-

"Both." Rainbow answered with confidence.

I blinked. "Huh? Rainbow you're bi?"

Dash narrowed her eyes. "Uh, yeah. What, is there something wrong with that?"

I held up my hooves. "No! Of course not, I just didn't know and... I'm bi too." I squeaked.

Rainbow just smiled. "Geeze Twilight you should have told me! I'd finally have someone to-"

The doctor coughed.

We turned back, embarrassed.

"Okay," she continued, largely unphased. "That's really good to know, because there are two types of assisted reproductive technology you should know about, and a special way to handle the paperwork on top of that."

"The first kind is artificial insemination. That's where we take your sperm, wash it and then later use it to attempt to impregnate a mare during her fertile period. It's cheap and painless for everyone involved, but it only has about a 20% effectiveness rate per vial."

"The second kind is in-vitro fertilization. We artificially stimulate the release of eggs from a mare and fertilize them in a test tube, then we implant an embryo and store the rest until they are desired. The advantage of that method is that one can produce a very large number of offspring with a very small sample, but it's harder on the mare and more expensive."

She smiled. "Note, you don't have to pick and choose, the freezing and storage costs the same, and my facility staff and I are experts in both methods. I usually recommend my patients store a mix of vial types if they're expecting to lose fertility."

I nodded. "That sounds great if we end up raising families with other mares." It was actually a bizarre advantage of all this madness I hadn't considered. I wondered if we could keep our samples after I changed us back... "But what about if we want to raise families with stallions, how can we have biological children with them?" I asked

Doctor Mto frowned. "I'm sorry... I wish I could tell you we knew of a way to do that, and I know a few labs working on it, but for now it's not something we can make happen."

I looked down. "Oh..." I... I didn't know what to think about that. It's okay Twilight, I told my self. This is all just insurance. You're going to find a way to fix this.

"However," The doctor continued, beaming. "It is possible to certify semen to be used by surrogate mothers. It's slightly more expensive, because we have to do some federal testing, but with a blood test and a physical we can make it so that if you want to have biological offspring with someone who isn't your partner, you can."

Rainbow tilted her head. "You've mentioned money a couple of times. I'm a head weather mare, and Twilight's a freaking princess so we've both got pretty solid insurance, won't that cover it?"

Again, the Zebra winced and shook her head. "Unfortunately I've yet to find insurance that covers our procedures. I'll happily look over your policy, but generally I advise my patients to plan to pay out of pocket."

Dash narrowed her eyes. "So let me get this straight... we need to pay uninsured medical bills in order to have the option of having biological kids with one of the types of ponies we like, and then more medical bills if we want to have at least "biological for us" kids if we end up with stallions?"

Doctor Mto opened her mouth to respond... Then sighed. She turned the picture of the little filly to her, looking somewhat defeated. "Unfortunately that pretty much sums it up."

I looked away... This... This was really messed up. I had some money stashed away, but I had no idea how many trips I'd need to make here to be able to have all the kids I wanted.

That's when it really hit me. I had to decide. I had to decide right now what the maximum number of kids I could have was going to be... No talking it over with whoever I fell in love with, no... I didn't even know.

Of course, I knew what the alternative was. If we were stuck like this... I won't be! I told myself... But if I was, and there was no other way to get the hormones I needed...

I turned back to the doctor. "Can we start today?"

She smiled. "Of course."