• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 2,977 Views, 65 Comments

Morning in Ponyville - Skarsnik



The latest addition to the Sparkle family, Morning Star, takes to Ponyville with her sister Happiness isn’t all she'll bring into Twilight’s Ponyville life. Will the secrets this little filly carries change Twilight's relationships

  • ...
14
 65
 2,977

Chapter 5 - School

Like every Sunday evening, Princess Luna was waiting for the arrival of her sister’s nephew, Prince Blueblood. She knew he was also her nephew, but he was more distant than Cadance; he didn’t really share a lot of personal information.

But this time the white stallion entering the room was not the usual delicately-groomed Prince of Equestria. It was a stallion in full parade armor. The cutie mark on the front of the armor and the insignia on the shoulder bore the sign of the highest ranked officer of the Royal Guard, leaving no doubts as to his identity. He stood at attention after entering the room.

“Good evening, Captain Shining Armor,” said Luna.

“Good evening, your Highness.”

Luna made a gesture to an empty table “At ease, Captain.”

The stallion still didn’t move and Luna giggled at his reaction “You are wedding a Princess and can’t be at ease in the presence of another? ‘Tis an interesting reaction for somepony that will became Royalty himself.” she paused “But We must ask, why is Prince Blueblood not here?”

“He and Cadance wanted me to talk a bit with you, your Highness.”

“Then please call me Luna or Princess Luna shouldst thou insist on using some formality.” she gestured to the cushion near the coffee table.

The captain removed his helmet from his head and put it on a table near the door.

“Dost thou want something to drink?”

“I am fine, thank you.”

There was a small silence before the Princess speak again “So, Prince Blueblood is ‘showing you the ropes’ for your future role as co-ruler of a nation?”

“Yes.” Shining Armor replied as he watched the Princess making herself some tea.

“It must be something new to you. I was always more comfortable with leading ponies to battle than dealing with politics. ‘Tis more straightforward.”

That perked the stallion’s attention and didn’t go unnoticed by Princess Luna. “I suppose I could retell you some battle of the not-so-glorious past of Equestria.”

“I am more interested on getting details about your battle against Sombra. Your sister seems unwilling to share any knowledge that can help prepare my ponies.”

Princess Luna was clearly surprised by his answer, but her surprise was quickly replaced by a small frown. “Thou put us in a conflicted position. Thy request is understandable but at the same time We trust in our sister’s judgement.”

The stallion get up of cushion and put his helmet back on his head “Permission to leave, your Highness?”

There was a bit in sadness in Luna’s eyes when she said, “Granted.” She watched the stallion leave her room.

The library was in a rush this morning, Spike was yawning a lot, having woken up one hour earlier than usual. Twilight and Morning were faring better, Twilight was probably running on adrenaline, anxiety and coffee while Morning was… Morning, That was something a bit weird about the filly, she always looked like she had slept a full night even after a one hour nap. So Spike had to deal with two energetic fillies panicking over the prospect of the first day of school for the youngster.

Twilight asked him with a concerned tone, “Breakfast?”

Spike rolled his eyes. “I finished cleaning up the bowls twenty minute ago already.” He said, receiving a disapproving glare in return. He wrote in the scroll he was holding, “Check…”

“Grooming?”

“You’ve groomed yourself and Morning three times... check.”

“Saddlebag?”

“Again? You’ve made her saddlebag two times already!” Spike grabbed another scroll detailing the saddlebag contents while the purple unicorn unpacked the saddlebag. “I got it.”

“Writing supplies?”

“Check.”

“Extra writing supplies”

“Check...” Spike rolled his eyes at this one.

After another series of doing and undoing the saddlebag, Morning added “Princess Woona!”

“Check” Twilight automatically responded; at some point Spike and Twilight had reversed their roles. “Wait, Morning, you can’t bring Woona to school.”

“I know but,” Morning paused to look at her mother with huge teary eyes. “Please?”

“Nice try,” she patted the filly on the head. “But I am not daddy, so no.”

Spike giggled at Morning’s attempt to use the ‘cute filly stare’. It was very effective against stallions or non-related mares, but for some reason most mothers developed a sort of immunity against it.

After the triple verifications were done Twilight and Morning were at the door ready to go to Ponyville Elementary school. Spike gave a last hug and offered some cheering words to Morning.

“Good luck Morning.”

“Thank you, Spike.”

Spike waved goodbye and winked at her.

Twilight started trotting in the direction of the school followed by Morning. She was happy to have Spike supporting the filly; she had been worried the first time she introduced Morning Star to Spike. When she had to start taking care of Spike, she wasn't sure she could trust him with the truth about the filly. Morning was a very important part of her life.

A modest-sized building all painted in red with small touches of pink and white came into view. By any standard Twilight had about schools, it was very small and a far cry for the huge multi-classroom schools of Canterlot. But in a sense, it was maybe more fitting for Morning. She wouldn’t feel overwhelmed by the presence of lots of colts and fillies her age.

When she stopped hearing Morning’s hoofsteps at her side, Twilight stopped too and looked at the filly’s nervous face.

“It’s gonna be ok sweetie.”

Morning’s muzzle fell down, her eyes watching the dirt road as she whispered “I don’t want to.”

Twilight wasn’t sure if Morning was afraid of the other fillies, school itself or just to be without ponies she knew. “Don’t worry sweetie, Cheerilee is a kind mare and I will pick you up for lunch.”

The filly lifted her head to look at Twilight. “You promise?”

“Yes, now let’s get a move on so I can introduce you to Cheerilee.”

Morning tried to get back on her four legs; it wasn't easy as she was not used to carry saddlebags laden with school supplies. Luckily for her, Twilight went to her rescue by pushing her rump with her muzzle.

It was then Twilight noticed a small blue tail poking out one of the bags, certainly belonging to a certain plushie. She sighed, internally reminding herself to have a talk with Spike, but didn’t say a thing about it to Morning.

When they arrived at the schoolhouse there was only Cheerilee at her desk. She left the book she was reading upon hearing the approaching hoofsteps.

“Good morning, Twilight.” She paused looking at the filly at the side of the mare “You must be Morning Star? Good morning to you Morning Star!”

“Good morning, Miss Cheerilee,” replied the nervous filly.

Cheerilee kept her cheerful voice and lowered her head to be on level with Morning. “So, your sister tells me it’s your first time in school, you must feel a bit nervous?”

“Yes.”

“Don’t worry, the fillies and colts here are nice. Do you mind waiting here so I can introduce you to the class?”

“Ok Miss Cheerilee.”

Twilight that was watching the small exchange silently till the end, then put a foreleg on Morning’s back.

“You’re going to be alright. Can I count on you to not give Miss Cheerilee any trouble?”

“Yes, Mo-Twilight.”

Mother and daughter shared a last nuzzle. Then the older mare left the classroom but stayed in sight. She kept smiling to give Morning comfort and a sense of familiarity for the incoming trial that was her first day of school.

Morning remained seated on her rump near Cheerilee’s desk. Her gaze lingered between the classroom and her mother outside. She watched the flow of fillies and colts filing into the classroom. She was nervous and had no idea what to do with them. Some of them smiled at her, some ignored her, most were surprised and lot of them kept watching her after sitting in their chairs.

Luckily, to fight her nervousness she could look out the door to see her mother waving and smiling at her. Morning give a last wave when Cheerilee closed the door after all her students were in.

The teacher tapped one hoof on her desk to bring the class to attention and interrupt their chatter.

“Good morning, everypony.” Cheerilee paused.

A chorus of fillies and colts replied with various degree of enthusiasm “Good morning, Miss Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee clapped her hooves together and spoke “Today I want to introduce you to a new student that will stay with us for a part of spring. It’s her first time in school so I want all of you to be nice to her.”

The mare looked to the filly, an encouraging smile on a her face. “Why don’t you introduce yourself?”

Morning raised her head to look at the classroom, opened her mouth once. She looked at the windows trying to see any traces of her mother, but found none. She was too small to really see outside.

She took a deep breath, remembering what she had to say. Her gaze fixing the back of the classroom. “My name is Morning Star. I am from Canterlot. I am in Ponyville with my sister, Twilight.”

She was answered with silence from the rest of the class. Morning looked at Cheerilee wondering what her next step was.

“Alright Morning Star, why don’t you pick a seat so we can start class?”

Morning found an empty seat near a grayish pink unicorn with a blond mane. She trotted to the desk, used her magic to remove her saddlebags, and put them on one side of the desk. Then she hopped on the seat.

Before she could proceed to open her saddlebags, Morning was interrupted by the filly at her side, a hoof pointed in her direction.

“My name is Dinky Doo.”

Morning looked at the hoof, confused. The other filly whispered to her, “You’re supposed to shake it.”

Morning did what Dinky told her, reaching out for the pinkish hoof she shook it timidly. “Hu-hello, nice to meet you, Dinky Doo.”

Dinky smiled at her and nodded. Morning refocused her attention on her saddlebags and opened the first bag. She retrieved a pen, an ink pot, a notebook, a quill and a red pencil by levitating them one by one and organizing them neatly on her desk. Quills, inks and pencils were placed on the top edge of the desk, the notebook in the center of it.

Once satisfied with her arrangement, she opened the other bag and was a bit surprised to see Woona. She took it in her magic and put the plushie on her lap.

Cheerilee, who was watching the filly get comfortable at her desk, drew closer to her. A small frown crossed her face. “Sorry Morning Star, but you can’t bring toys or plushies to school.” Then she extended her hoof toward Morning.

Morning looked at the plushie, then at Cheerilee. “Woona said she wanted to learn new thing.”

There was some snickers from the other foals but they died down quickly receiving a stern glare from the teacher. She went back to a more neutral expression before refocusing on Morning. “That may be, but those are the rules of school.”

Morning hoofed her the plushie and Cheerilee added, “Normally I’d keep it until the end of the year, but since it’s your first day, I’ll you give you her back at lunch break. Understood?”

Morning’s ears dropped. “Yes, Miss Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee went to her desk and put Woona in one of the drawers. Not wanting to let the pause continue and give the youngsters the occasion to start talking amongst themselves, she quickly took a piece of chalk and taped it on the chalkboard. “Alright, today we start chapter 8. Open your books to page 112.”

There was the sound of books opening but Cheerilee paid extra attention so see if her new student had any trouble. Morning had grabbed her history book and was searching for the right page. Cheerilee was surprised to see the filly using only her magic to do so, most of her unicorn students were still mostly using their hooves and mouth.

The lesson started when the teacher considered everypony ready. But after thirty minutes in, when she turned away from the chalkboard, having previously written some important date on it, she noticed that the fillies and colts were watching Morning curiously.

“Looks like the new baby is better than you, Sweetie Fail.” Snickered a pale magenta earth pony filly.That sent the other fillies and colts into giggles, while the white unicorn filly in question tried to hide under her desk.

Morning looked at Cheerilee, blinking a few times, and dropped the pen she was holding in her magic. It fell to the side of the notebook she was using to take notes; her ears slowly folded against the back of her head. She raised a hoof.

“Yes, Morning Star?” said Cheerilee.

“Did I do something wrong?”

It was a hard question to answer for Cheerilee. The filly had done nothing wrong. Sure she was younger than most of the fillies and colts in the classroom. She was more proficient at magic, but Cheerilee could not tell if it was from a better education or just a better family environment. From what she had gathered from Twilight Sparke, all her family were unicorns with high concerns for good education.

“No, Morning Star, you did nothing wrong.” A frown formed on Cheerilee’s face and she gave a stern glare to Diamond Tiara and the rest of the class. “Now I expect no more interruptions except questions about the class.”

The teacher resumed her lecture, but something caught her eyes. Before Diamond Tiara’s remark, Morning was smiling while listening and taking notes. Now the filly was struggling writing with her pen in her mouth, frowning at was visibly an unusual act for her.

Before she could do something, Cheerilee saw Dinky whispering something to the filly that made Morning regrab her pen in her magic. Everything went normal after that until it was recess time.

Cheerilee clapped her hooves. “Alright everypony, it’s recess.” Then she looked at her new student. “Morning Star, can you stay before going out?”

The filly nodded and watched as the other fillies and colts rushed out the classroom. When it was only her and the teacher she moved to the desk, her ears folded back on her head.

Seeing the slightly downcast expression of the filly, Cheerilee kept a bright smile. “Don’t worry. We are in the middle of a session of Family Appreciation days. Do you know what that is?”

“No, sorry.”

“It’s alright; if you were tutored at home it make sense you didn’t hear of it. The idea is you can bring a member of your family and he or she will explain their work to the rest of the class.”

Morning paused to think for a bit and spoke. “Mommy Velvet and Daddy Nighty are in vacation.”

“Yes, Twilight already told me that, maybe you have somepony else?”

Morning beamed and gave the name of another member of her family before the teacher let her leave the classroom.

***

When she was out Morning walked to the pink grey filly that was waving at her, ears shifting at the sound of other foals already playing.

“Hum, Dinky Doo?” She asked her, the other filly noded in reply. “What are we suppose to do during recess?”

“You can call me Dinky,” giggled Dinky before gasping at the question, ”You don’t know what recess is?!”

Morning ears folded back again. “I never went to school before. I had Mister Sage to teach me at my house in Canterlot.”

Dinky pointed at the schoolyard toward the swings. “Well we can play with the swing. It’s my favorite game!”

Morning looked at the other filly with surprise “We?”

“Duh, it’s more fun to play with a friend,” replied Dinky before walking to the swing. But she quickly noticed the other filly not following her. “Something wrong… Morning?”

“You called me a friend?”

Dinky shrugged “Well, if you want to, we could be friends.”

Morning’s face was slowly slipped into a smile as she was now following the enthusiastic filly.

---

In a well-lit basement, with various clean and organised science equipment, a mint unicorn asked the other unicorn in the room, “Twilight, are you alright?”

Said unicorn had her head resting on one of her hooves, her gaze focusing nothing specific. She snapped back to reality and looked at the other mare. “Huh? It’s over?”

Lyra snickered. “Yes, so what do you think?”

Twilight shook her head. “Oh, sorry. I was lost in a memory.”

The other unicorn levitated her lyre back on the table holding their notes and books on Twilight’s future magic show. “You are too distracted, maybe we can just continue next time?”

“No No, I don’t have that much time.”

Lyra put a hoof on Twilight’s right shoulder. “You have too much on your mind. You can’t get a thing done.”

Twilight sighed. “You are the expert here. I guess I am too worried about Morning, I don’t know how I thought it was a good idea to start today.You can go home while I catch up on some studies.”

The other unicorn beamed, intercepting Twilight before she got up to get out the basement “Nope. I say we can’t work on the magic show. Now tell me, did your future sister-in-law teach you your technique?”

Twilight’s eyes opened wide at the sudden unrelated question “What? Who?”

Lyra sat back on the cushion she was using before getting up to play her instrument. “Princess Cadance. Please, I have to learn from some newspapers that you have a brother and he will marry her.”

“Oh, me and Cadance?” Twilight eyes closed and she shook her head. ”Eww. she is like my big sister. Eww.”

Lyra’s face wore a huge grin when she said, “I can picture you giving tips to your brother then!” She started making lewd motions with her hooves and tongue.

Twilight crossed her forelegs on her chest. “Can you stop this? You already spent twenty minutes bothering me with my night with Pinkie.”

The mint unicorn laughed at the serious face on the purple mare. “Yes, yes, sorry.” She wiped her tears, “You are still cute when you’re a bit mad.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “You are worse than Cadance.”

Lyra gave a last giggle before talking again. “Oh, speaking of Princess Cadance. Did you know I am playing at the wedding?”

Twilight clapped her hooves together. “Oh that’s great for you!”

Lyra waved one hoof in the air. “It’s not big deal. I am the spare harpist It sounds like it’s you planning her wedding actually, with spares musicians for every position.”

Twilight smiled a bit. “Haha, no I am just my brother best mare, I am forbidden to touch anything in their preparation.” She paused to add, “Princess Cadance’s orders.”

Lyra tried to make another small joke but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Come in, Spike,” shouted Twilight at the door.

The door opened and a small dragon appeared at the top of the stairs.

“It’s just to remind you, like you asked. It’s nearly time to pick Morning up.”

Twilight looked at the clock in panic. “Oh wow, it’s already that’s late. Sorry Lyra, I have to go.” She rushed upstairs and patted Spike on the head. “Thank you, Spike.”

---

Outside Ponyville elementary school, two fillies were standing near the alley that lead to the school where already some fillies and colts were leaving with their differents relative. The younger one of the two wearing a plush on her head.

Twilight spotted them and was a bit surprised to see Morning talking with the grey pink unicorn filly. She trotted to the two of them.

“Hey little star, how was school?”

Morning rushed to hug the older mare’s foreleg. “It was weird, but Dinky taught me a lot about school!”

Twilight’s morning worries of finding a Morning in tears were washed away. She wore a huge smile and said. “I see you made a friend!” When her daughter released the grip on her foreleg, she looked at the other filly. “You must be Dinky?”

“I am Dinky Doo, nice to meet you Miss Twilight.”

“Nice to meet you too.” She said giving a last smile to Morning, “Come on Morning, Spike is waiting for us for lunch.”

Morning’s ears fell on the back on her head, eyes wide open. “Mo-Twilight, can Dinky eat with us?”

The request surprised Twilight. She looked at Dinky; the filly was almost as surprised as she was. “Your parents don’t pick you up for lunch?”

Dinky shook her head. “No, my mommy is working, I usually eat at school.”

Twilight looked around and spotted a table where some fillies, like the CMC, were starting to unpack their lunch. She should have guessed that in a small and quiet town like Ponyville, there wouldn’t be a proper cafeteria. She looked back at the pleading eyes on Morning and sighed.

“Do you want to eat with us Dinky?” Twilight got a small nod in return, “Alright, let me ask Cheerilee first.”

***

After a short discussion with the teacher, a small walk toward the library and turning the sign to indicate it was closed; two fillies, a young drake and a mare were seated at a table.

Levitating a bit of the salad Spike had prepared to her plate, Twilight asked the fillies, “So you had history this morning, what is the program for this afternoon?”

Morning beamed at the question. “Math!”

Dinky was less enthusiastic and shrugged, Morning saw it and asked her, “You don’t like math?”

The filly pouted. “It’s more like math does not like me.” Spike and Twilight giggled at the cute answer.

Spike finished to serve Morning her share of the salad and filled her glass with water. “I am sure Morning could help you.”

While Morning, Twilight and Spike were eating, Dinky was just staring at them. Occasionally she glanced at the other filly using her silverware to eat, picking the ingredient with her fork heldin her magical grip, while sometimes using her knife to cut a piece of salad too big to eat directly.

Twilight noticed the strange behavior of the filly and her untouched sandwich she had brought with her, so she asked, “Something wrong Dinky? You’re not hungry?”

Dinky pointed a hoof at Morning and Twilight’s heads. “It’s just, you all use magic like it’s nothing.”

Twilight let her fork rest on the table before speaking, “Well my family have a lot of talented unicorns, but Princess Celestia taught me every unicorn is different. Magic does not come the same way to everypony and you are still young.It will come one day.”

Dinky pouted at the evasive answer. “Mommy said it’s because she can’t afford to get me lessons.”

Morning interjected, “You can teach her M-Twilight!”

Twilight turned her head toward Morning, “Hey Morning, you know I don’t have time and it’s not my decision. Plus I don’t want every unicorn foal to come to ask me the same thing.”

Spike frowned, “You already thought of that?”

“Yes Spike. You remember when Rarity asked me to help Sweetie Belle with her magic?”

“Oh yes, she was not happy.”

“It’s her parent’s job to take care of that.” Twilight rolled her eyes. ”Sometime I wonder if my friends think I am in vacantion here.”

Dinky, ears folded back on her head asked. “You don’t want to help?”

“It’s not that Dinky, I can teach one filly, but I don’t think I can handle lots of fillies. It takes a lot of time and preparation. Why do you think teaching is a job?”

Dinky paused to think, “Oohh, like Cheerilee?”

“Yes exactly.” A smile formed on Twilight’s face. “I will talk to your mother, maybe I can lead you to some books, but don’t expect too much, okay?”

Dinky beamed. “Thank you!” She grabbed her sandwich with her two hooves.

---

Later in the day, after the library was closed somepony knocked at the door. Twilight opened the door and her eyes fell on the mare she recognized as the mare who delivered the mail and various packages.

Twilight found the mare unusually nervous when she greeted her “Hum, Good evening, Miss Sparkle.”

“Good evening what can I do for you Miss...?” Twilight paused realising she did not know the grey mare’s name at all, even if she did remind her of another pony. “Sorry, you deliver my mail every day and I don’t even know your name.”

One of the wandering eyes of the mare focused on Twilight, “I am Ditzy Doo, Dinky’s mother.”

“Oh I see, yes she does look a lot like you. Do you want to come in? I can make some tea.”

The pegasus mare waved a hoof to dismiss the proposal. “It’s alright. Did she bother you with magic?”

“Yes.”

“I am sorry about that, she started doing things with her horn two weeks ago and now all she does is worry about that.”

“It’s quite normal for a unicorn filly to be eager to use their horn. It’s like wings for pegasus I guess.”

Ditzy sighed. “Yes I know, but, she knows I can’t teach her and I can’t afford to get her lessons.”

“Yes, that’s what Dinky told me.”

“So I can’t probably afford your help too. And no offence to you, but… I don’t want Dinky to wreak chaos in the town.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, the incident with the doll, ponies said you casted a spell. It sounds dangerous”

Twilight winced at the reminder of her use of the ‘Want it, need it’ spell. She had only used this spell twice and it was when she was in some sort of distress. She shook her head to chase these memory away, then put a hoof behind her neck. “Err, I maybe overreacted a bit. But don’t worry, that spell requires a lot of studying.”

The right eye of Ditzy looked at the floor while the other stay focused on Twilight. “Sorry, that must’ve sounded stupid; I am not a smart pony like you.”

“Oh no, it’s alright, even most unicorns don’t really know all the theory behind magic. Just using magic to manipulate things is almost an instinct.” Before she could launch into a lengthy explanation Twilight remembered the mare’s request. “But on the matter of helping Dinky, my concern is more finding free time than money. I would love teaching magic to her, really, I know Morning will be happy to help too.”

“I wouldbe stupid to refuse help especially for free, but is there anything I could do for you?”

“Hum, this will sound like a weird request but...can you give me advice on how to take care of a filly? I...” Twilight bither lips, she did not want to give away too much to a mare she did not know. “I talked with my mother on how to take care of Morning when they’re not here, but she… well it’s kind of embarrassing.”

The other mare beamed. “Oh sure, Miss Sparkle. I don’t work Saturday. Is that fine for you?”

“Yes.”

Before she knew what hit her, Twilight was brought into a hug by the other mare. “Thank you so much!”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the huge delay!
This chapter has been edited by Averageamazingme. Thank to him for making my mess more readable.

Next chapter will come sooner (I hope)