• Published 13th Apr 2015
  • 2,980 Views, 65 Comments

Morning in Ponyville - Skarsnik



The latest addition to the Sparkle family, Morning Star, takes to Ponyville with her sister Happiness isn’t all she'll bring into Twilight’s Ponyville life. Will the secrets this little filly carries change Twilight's relationships

  • ...
14
 65
 2,980

Chapter 4 - Pancakes

It was Friday evening, Princess Luna was at her desk working on some scrolls in front of her. She heard some small knocks and per usual Princess Cadance entered the room. She left her desk to welcome her. This time the pink alicorn was not alone, she was accompanied by a white unicorn stallion with a proper trimmed blue moustache, a monocle resting under his left eye was attached to an elegant suit.

“Good evening, Auntie Luna! I brought you some company”, Princess Cadance said with a cheerful tone.

Princess Luna made a small bow to greet the two ponies before speaking “Hum, We are sure it’s a nice pretendant Cadance, but we-”

The white stallion was the one to cut the Princess “Thank you for the compliment your highness, but I am already engaged, I will only be your tailor.”

“A tailor niece? I am sure the element of generosity already made us a gown for thy wedding.”

The stallion’s eyes light up as he remembered the picture of a plain dress with visibly hastily sewed streamers and feathers “Ah I see. I fear Miss Rarity is a bit inexperienced to do this kind of work. She sure has some talent, but expensive fabrics do not do a proper dress fit for a Princess.”

Cadance scowled and poked the stallion in the rib “You are too kind of word, Fancy, her dress was a disaster.”

“And I forget my good manners, Fancy Pants at your service tonight your highness” the stallion bowed deeply again at Princess Luna.

Cadance was slowly backing toward the door “He did my dress and the suit of Shining! I am sure you will like him!” she rushed out the room “Bye!”

Fancy Pants chuckled at the surprised and amused expression of Princess of the night “She has a date.”

When Morning wake up the sun was already set in the sky, mommy had put her to bed early because she wanted to talk with some friends, and she said it was not talk for little fillies. Morning did not understand a lot of thing about what adult do, but she he had already be scolded gently the few moments she walked back downstair at her house in Canterlot when she was supposed to be in her room, so she had complied, not that she had a lot of thing to do outside her room.

She hopped off her bed, looked at the Luna plushie that was still in her bed, she levitated it on her nightstand to make her bed freely. It did not take long mostly because there was only the pillow to set straight and the blanket. She executed her small task, putting everything neatly in place with the help of her magic and her hooves.

Once happy with the result she put the plushie on the pillow and said “I will pick you up later Woona!”. Mommy had said it was ok to keep Woona all the time except when they had to eat, something about that it was not easy to clean up.

Morning opened the door of her bedroom and made her way toward the stairs that lead to the main room of the library. It was weird to live in a house where anypony could enter, but it was even weirder to be in the middle of the town with no garden. Morning liked the small garden in her house in Canterlot, it was the rare place she could be outside the house when not in vacation and she enjoyed that she could run without having to take care of bumping into something. This week she already had be scolded for making fall the horse head sculpture that stand in the middle of the library, well the third time mommy had throw the sculpture aways in the basement saying it was dangerous for foals anyways and had apologized for yelling at her.

She descended carefully the stair that mommy had covered with a red carpet especially for her, it tickled a bit, but it was a nice comfy feeling on the morning. When she reach the bottom of the stair she could hear Spike humming happily and her nose was assaulted with the sweet aroma of-

“Pancakes!” remembering today was a pancake day, she shouted with glee. Spike had said he made pancakes for mommy when she was gloomy at the start of the weekend when she could not get back at Canterlot to see her, and it had became an habit to do it every Saturday. Spike had learned to make pancake from mommy Velvet and mommy Velvet make the best pancake ever.

She rushed in the kitchen and met a baby dragon on top of a stool with a small apron watching a frying pan. In the middle of the room was the dining table where a plate containing three fresh pancake was resting that diffused the sweet aroma in the library.

Without turning his head to the new occupant that enter the kitchen, Spike greets her

“Hey, good morning. sleep well?”

“Yes” the filly looked around the room, scanning for something “Mommy is not awake?”

“Don’t worry. You should eat the pancakes before they get cold. Your mommy will probably wake up with the smell.”

Morning knew her mommy could sometimes study late and wake up late, but she promised to try to be always there for her to start the day. But Spike had a valid point, cold pancakes are sad. She installed herself in her attributed chair, Spike turned around to give her a plate and some toppings to put on the pancakes like honey or whipped cream.

Morning ate her first two pancakes with honey. For the third one she grabbed the can of whipped cream with her magic, it was an easy task for her but pushing the button to release the precious cream was more delicate, she tried a few time, shaking the can on top of her pancake gave no result.

She brought the tip of the can in front of her to see if there was something that prevent the cream to goes out. She started fidgeting the button with one hoof, and when she put enough pressure she send a stream of whipped cream all over her face. She yelped in surprise and lost hold on the can.

Spike turned his head from the stove hearing the sound of can hitting the table, he was met with the sight of a filly with whipped cream all over her head “Are you alright Morning?”

The answer of the filly was a small giggle. Spike grabbed a rag “Alright, let me clean your face.”

Spike cleaned the face of the filly and helped her put whipped cream on her pancake. He installed himself at the table; he was starting to get hungry and he had made enough pancake for now.

Morning looked at Spike that was eating pancake mixed with gems. Morning never understood how he could eat gems, She tried once and she would never it again, because everypony get worried for her, but aside for a broken teeth she ended fine.

When the plate containing the pancake was empty, Spike asked, “Want more? I can make more” pointing at the bowl containing the preparation for pancake.

“No, I want to wait for mommy” Morning liked breakfast and pancakes but it was always better with mommy, especially if eating pancake on Saturday make her happy she wanted to see it.

“Ok, maybe I should see to wak-”

Spike did not have the time to finish his sentence as he was cut by a loud sound of hooves rushing in the kitchen and shouting “OOoooh, that smell like delicious pancakes!”

“GGood morning Pinkie” the somehow scared baby dragon managed to say recognizing the voice of the pink mare.

The pink pony entered the kitchen looking to the surprised face of Morning “Hey little Morning, Is that you that make the pancakes?”

“No, no, it’s Spike”, Morning liked Pinkie Pie, she was funny and she could call mommy ‘mommy’ when she was around. Morning was not happy to call her mommy by her name, but she was used to it every time she had to go on a public place. Pinkie was one of the ponies that were here yesterday, the other two mares were the mares that were working in the candy shop. The mint one was very nice, she gave her a bag of candies!

“I would gladly take one, or two, or twenty, but I need to prepare something for Twilight!”, said cheerfully the pink mare.

Spike raised an eyebrow “Hu, Pinkie? What are you preparing for Twilight? I mean I already made breakfast.”

“She had... some sort of adult sickness! But don’t worry she will be fine after I give her my special treatment.”

“Ooh, she got drunk, that why she was not in her-” Spike looked at Morning before cutting his sentence.

Pinkie Pie looked at the direction of Spike before grabbing a bowl and random ingredients from the fridge. Spike could have swear he saw her use ingredients that were not in the fridge at all. Morning was watching in awe at the speed Pinkie Pie could prepare something.

When the pink pony was done she put everything in a large glass. “And done! I will be back with your mommy Morning!”

Once Pinkie gone Morning asked to Spike “Is mommy alright? Pinkie said she was sick.”

“Don’t worry Morning, it’s something adult get when they do something stupid, I bet she will be fine soon.”

“Maybe I can bring her pancakes in her bed!”

“That… actually a good idea. Let me show you how you can help me”. Spike was happy with Morning providing her own distraction to not check immediately on Twilight. He helped the filly brought her chair near his stool.

Morning hopped on the chair and put all her focus on levitating the ladle from the bowl with pancake batter to the frying pan. Spike guided her to put the right amount of batter in the pan.

“Good, you can stop Morning.”

Morning was watching the batter being transformed in delicious pancake in the pan but soon growing tired of waiting she asked Spike “How is school?”

“I don’t know, It’s the same for me than you, I only have tutors or your mommy” Spike was continuing moving the frying pan to prevent the pancake from burning while thinking of what Morning was really nervous about, she was a bit like him in a degree, smarter than pony of her age “Afraid of other fillies?”

“I...mommy said it’s for me a chance to make friends and do thing like” Morning ears lowered “a normal filly.”

Spike flipped the pancake with his spatula to have the other side cooked “This one should be ready soon, can you brought the plate?”. Spike tried to get Morning back in a good mood by keeping her participate in the making of the pancakes.

**

Later a dragon holding a tray containing a plate with five pancakes, a glass of orange juice, a fork and a knife climbed the stair of the library. He was accompanied by a smiling Morning holding the honey pot and a pot of strawberry jam with her magic, Twilight’s favorite. Spike stopped in front of the guest room and made a gesture toward Morning for her to knock.

“Mommy is not in her bed?” the filly asked before knocking with her right hoof.

“She… get lost yesterday I think”, replied Spike.

The door was opened by a smiling Pinkie Pie “OOhh breakfast in bed; you are lucky Twi Twi” then she gestured for the pair to enter while she left the room.

In the bed of the guest room was a frowning lavender unicorn, her head laying on a pillow that was against the wall behind the bed. The frown changed into a smile at the sight of Morning and Spike at the entrance of the room but said nothing.

Spike put the tray at rest on the nightstand and Morning put the honey and jam in the tray. Spike nodded to Twilight and left the two alone.

“I made the pancakes with Spike!”

Twilight looked at Morning with a loving smile “That sweet of you little star.”

**

Spike was in the kitchen cleaning the tablewares he and Morning used, Pinkie was making herself pancake with the rest of the batter while humming a silly song about pancakes and mommies.

Spike wiped the plates and glass clean and put them back in their assigned cupboard before speaking “So, you and Twilight, you are a couple or something?”

Pinkie Pie launched a pancake very high in the air, nearly touching the ceiling “No silly Spike... we did not want to wake you up.”

“Wake me up?”

Pinkie’s voice was more hesitant for her next answer “Hu, Twilight was… very tired and I…-”

Spike waved one hand to cut Pinkie “You were doing adult stuff, I get it. So are you with Twilight now? I… had nothing against this, you are funny to be around, it’s just, I am curious.”

Pinkie gasped and nearly missing to catch the pancake that she had thrown once again into the air “Oh, no, Twilight is a great friend, I am more into stallion, wait how you know about… adult stuff?”

Spike puffed his chest “I live in a library. I mean you were cuddling while sleeping?”

“Oh, yeah cuddling” Pinkie trail off the word as she was putting her last pancake on a plate “Oh before I forget, are you free at the end of the afternoon? There is a small party for some friends.”

Spike looked at the kitchen’s clock, put a claw on his chin to think and start panicking “Oh, no I promise Rarity I will help her today for her gems, I am late!” he throw the apron he was still wearing somewhere in the kitchen and leave in a rush.

Pinkie was smiling at the display and giggled “Silly Spike and his crush on Rarity” then she sighed after eating one of her pancake “Must be sweet to love somepony.”

**

In the guest room Twilight had finished eating a pancake covered by strawberry jam “Thank you for the breakfast” she said with a smile toward Morning that was watching her eating quietly.

She drunk the glass of orange juice and put it back on the tray “You look gloomy Morning, something wrong?”

Morning looked at her mother “It’s… nothing.”

Twilight paused to think, she did not like to force Morning to spoke her mind, noticing a bit of whipped cream in the filly mane and her own disarray mane and the smell from her previous night activity an idea form in her mind.

“You did not clean up yet?” when the filly answered with a small nod she continued “How about we take a bath together?”

Twilight get out her bed following the filly that was heading to the bathroom, her hangover was not that bad, thank to Pinkie Pie weird mixture, she would probably feel a bit off until lunch still. She knew she should not have accepted to drink alcohol, but the three mares had been a bit forceful.

When reaching the bathroom, Twilight turned the faucet of the bathtub and helped Morning get out her pyjamas. “How you end up with whipped cream in your mane?“, she asked the filly to keep her busy until the bath was ready.

Morning told her mother her misadventure with the can of whipped cream electing some giggle from the older mare.

Twilight entered the bathtub and helped the filly to join her, they both washed each other in silence. Twilight was thinking of yesterday evening, she remembered that after some glasses of alcohol Pinkie asked what the other mares were thinking of her, and Twilight replied she would not mind having a taste of the pink’s flanks. After that it was a bit fuzzy, according to Pinkie Pie retelling of the evening, the pink pony agreed to escort her drunken form to her bed but she stopped her in front of the guest room and started kissing the earth pony mare.

Twilight was kind of glad that her drunken self had thought of stopping at the guest room, she did even know what to explain to Spike if he was witnessing Pinkie and her in action, even if he would probably manage to sleep through the whole thing

Once both ponies were bathed, Twilight picked up some clean towels to dry herself and Morning. Twilight was grooming the filly mane with a small brush, knowing the filly was in a better mood as she was appreciating being taking care by her mother, she asked, “So what is the matter Morning? It’s school?”

“Yes.”

Twilight kept brushing the mane of the filly “You are a smart filly and I already helped to be on part with Ponyville school’s program this week.”

“I know.”

“You are worried about the other fillies?”

There was no answer from the filly, Twilight had finished with her mane and moved to her tail.

When she felt the brush let her mane Morning turned to look at her mother “I prefer like you.”

“Morning, I thought you liked you manestyle?”

“Yes, but you have the same than mommy Velvet, why not me?”

Twilight sighed “Morning, I” she had two choices, reminding Morning why she could not have the same manestyle as her, and Morning was clearly not in the mood for this kind of conversation, or found a compromise “Alright, how about for the weekend I let you have like me and my mom?”

The filly smiled at the older mare before nodding.

“But, Monday you get back to your usual manestyle, does that sound fair to you?”

“Yes, mommy.”

“Alright, let me start over.”

**

They walked together in the main area after a stop to Morning’s room to put away her pyjamas and grab Woona. At the entrance of the library a pink pony was talking to a grey pegasus mare with a blond mane and tail carrying a saddlebag on her back.

“-working today Ditzy?”

“I know but somepony mess up at the weather’s schedule and request the help of the reserve yesterday, so we have to delay the delivery of the mail of yesterday. My boss was angry-”, the grey pegasus stopped and waved a hoof at two new arrivants “Good morning Miss Sparkle!” then noticing the filly “Good morning!”

Pinkie turned her head at Twilight and Morning, giggled seeing the nearly identical manecut -even if Morning shorter mane on the front was not making a long bang like her mother- “Hey she look like a mini you.”

Twilight heart nearly stopped at Pinkie sentence, that was part of why she did not let Morning had the same manecut than her. Her worrying thoughts get cut when Morning marched upon the mail mare and pointed with a hoof at her head.

“Your eyes look funny!”

At least it was a proof the filly was feeling better, but Twilight could not let this one slip “Morning Star, your manners young filly.”

“It’s alright Miss Sparkle” the pegasus mare leaned her head at the height of the filly “Tell me little muffin, what is your name?”

“My name is Morning Star. I am sorry for your… eyes”

“Don’t worry sweetheart, I know there are funny” the pegasus give a hoof tap on her cap, symbol of her profession “It had been a pleasure, but I have other ponie that wait for their mail!” she walked past the door before taking off. “You sure have a cute filly, Miss Sparkle.”

Author's Note:

As you can guess the next chapter(s) is about Morning first day of school :)

Fun fact: I write the draft of this before season five started

Thanks to Typerpony and Crystal Wishes, they give me some pointers with some English rules