• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 753 Views, 26 Comments

Heart of Shadow: Passing the Torch - TheCrimsonDM



Nearly twenty years have passed since the mane six first became friends, and now they have kids. Follow the story of Amber Light, Twilight's apprentice, as she goes through the growing pains of being a teenager along with her friends.

  • ...
2
 26
 753

Chapter Four: Club Meeting

Passing the Torch
Chapter Four: The Club Meeting
Written by TheCrimsonDM

The four ponies sat in a circle inside a small single room tree house while talking about various things that interested the four of them. Stuck to the walls were various portraits of the ponies who gave this clubhouse to them in the first place, the fabled Cutie Mark Crusaders. Of course the small group of friends had once upon a time taken up the mantle of Crusader themselves but now that they have all gotten their cutie marks they no longer needed to search for that part of their lives.

Although sitting in this room always had a tendency to remind them all of what their marks were. Even though they hadn’t all shared the exact methods they used to obtain them, they all the general story behind each other’s marks. Color Splash as the oldest one among them had obtained hers first, her cutie mark being six circles of colors that matched her mane, they represented the primary colors and the secondary colors. She had obtained her mark one day when she was doing an art project for class, she had never tried painting before then, but she picked it up right away, although her methods were always a little different. Everypony could thank Applebloom for introducing Color Splash to the concepts of big city art.

Amber Light got her mark next, although she was younger then Color Splash when she obtained hers. One day she was out playing a prank of Princess Twilight Sparkle, like she usually did. She got caught though and ran, while she was running she tripped and fell into Twilight’s backyard and her magic went off without any warning. The next thing she knew she was lying in a field of pretty flowers with a nose bleed. After that Twilight took Amber in as her apprentice, although there was still some scolding from Amber’s mother on both sides. Amber’s cutie mark is that of a purple rose.

Hushpuppy got his few years after that. One day he was talking to his mother and as he put it, he finally understood the meaning of the universe. He began talking about how dark reality was, and how faint the light of hope was becoming. For whatever reason he got a strange cutie mark of a red star and a dark swirl trailing behind it. It’s been theorized that his ability to speak in poetic darkness was his cutie marks purpose, but he never fully accepted that.

Last but not least Sophie got her mark, and when she did she freaked out and had a party thrown in her honor. She was helping her mom sew a few blankets, and Sophie got bored so she started to make dolls out of the material, after that she received her mark which took the form of a teddy bear. Sophie enjoyed her ability and made a unique habit of creating dolls of all her closest friends after that, nopony really understood how she got into the hobby but they respected her right to do so, as long as she didn’t do creepy stuff like what Color Splash did on occasion.

This tree house wasn’t just filled with things revolving around the original Cutie Mark Crusaders though, ever since these four took over the club house they have been filling it with new things. The walls were all painted to show events that involved the four of them, all thanks to Color Splash’s special talent. A series of dolls sat on the shelf to stand guard over the clubhouse while everypony was away. Grim poems were all written into a book along with a very select and few happy ones. Finally Amber Light had a miniature garden of flowers growing just outside the window seal, a flower for everypony matching their fur color. All in all this tree house was now a legacy to all those who came before them, and to those who would come after.

***

The group of ponies had spent a long time talking about what interest them, and what they should do as a group. Many ideas came and went, but in the end nopony could decide on any one thing. The best solution was to try and do all of their ideas, though that would prove taxing it sounded like a lot of fun to them. What they needed to do first was come up with a plan, to which everypony looked at Amber Light for.

“Ugh, do I really have to do everything for you guys? I mean I do have schooling to take care of,” Amber Light explained.

“So do we,” Color Splash replied.

“Well, fine I’ll see what I can do. First we need to find a way to get our hooves on that much cake, do you think Aunt Pinkie would be willing to help out with that?” Amber asked everypony in the room.

“Yeah, she would love to help us. She pretty much runs the Sugarcube Corner now anyway,” Sophie said cheerfully.

“Okay, that’ll work out. Now we need a lot of paint supplies, but we don’t have the money for that kind of thing,” Amber said.

“We could ask Princess Twilight, more specifically you could ask her,” Color Splash stated.

Amber glared at the peach colored pony and said in a low tone, “If anyone asks her for money, it’s going to be you. I don’t like it when ponies try to use my position for their own uses, you know that.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, I’m sorry,” Color Splash said sadly.

Amber calmed herself down and explained, “Look I know you what you meant, but it would be wise if we asked her together. Maybe when we show her that painting you made for her?”

“Oh we could offer it up as a representation of my skill, so that she could fund our operation,” Color Splash said excitedly.

Amber Light thought about it for a moment and shrugged, “Maybe she will be so shocked that she won’t notice how much money we ask for?”

After receiving a nod from everypony Amber thought about it and said, “Running a poetry reading won’t be so hard, I mean they have a club for that thing here. My parents go to it all the time, though I’m kinda sick of hearing about rocks.”

“My poetry should illuminate the truth about the darkness in this world, and open everyponies eyes to just how blind they really are as they stumble about this cruel existence,” Hushpuppy said.

“Last but not least, I’ll need a stage to show case my magical talent. When I get done everypony will stand in awe of me and I’ll have gained even more respect from the princess,” Amber Light said.

“Why don’t you just go out and burn the whole town down why don’t ya, dork.”

Everypony suddenly looked towards the open window and saw the one pony that they didn’t want to interact with today; Blackout. The gray pegasus hovered outside the window with her mane of white with a black lightning bolt running through it flowing in the breeze. She stared pridefully down at the four ponies with her dark purple eyes and a wicked grin across her face.

“Blackout, what are you doing here?” Amber Light spat angrily.

“Just checking up on the dork squad. Let’s see we have the angry giant, the ditzy space case, the emo-goth with his new jacket, and finally the ugly painter,” Blackout said before smirking at them.

Amber Light stood up and stared at Blackout with anger raging inside her heart. Blackout stared right back at her and everypony began watching with fearful eyes. Amber Light’s horn began glowing and a slight pain started in her head, she then took a single step forward and Sophie jumped up and shouted, “AMBER NO!”

The sudden interruption startled Amber Light and she lost her concentration. Her horn suddenly stopped glowing and the pain vanished, but she was still angry with Blackout. Amber Light glared at Blackout and said, “Just leave, you aren’t supposed to bother us here and you know that.”

“Oh and what are you gonna do, tell Applejack?” Blackout said.

“Actually I will, and then she will talk to your mother, Rainbow Dash!” Amber Light stated.

Blackout growled and stared in silence for a moment. She quickly huffed and said, “Fine, I don’t like being around this place anyway, it smells like you freaks.” Blackout turned and kicked the clubhouse’s outer wall with both of her hind legs before flying off in a hurry.

“I like everypony, but I anti-like her,” Sophie said quietly.

Amber looked back at the group and said, “Yeah, well she won’t bother us here anyway. We need to find a way to deal with her though, because so far Rainbow Dash hasn’t done crap in stopping her from bullying us.”

“That’s because Rainbow Dash is the leader of the Wonderbolts, and so she encourages this kind of aggressive behavior. Typical military mom type,” Color Splash said in disgust.

Amber Light looked back towards the window and watched the sky where Blackout had flown off. She didn’t know what made Blackout act like she did, but there had to be a reason, right? Twilight always said that there was good in everypony, sometimes it’s just covered in a lot of crap, but if you can get through it and find the good… then you can make friends with anypony. Somehow Amber Light didn’t see that as a viable theory when it came to Blackout.