• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 736 Views, 24 Comments

Midnight Flight - LiterarySerenity



Princess Luna takes Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake on a late night flight

  • ...
1
 24
 736

Midnight Flight

Late evenings had always been a common phenomenon in the Cake household at Sugar Cube Corner. Word of their delicious pastries—from flaky apple tarts to rich, seven-layered strawberry ice cream cakes—had spread like a sonic rainboom throughout Equestria ever since the last major baking competition in Canterlot. The fact their baked goods in the aforementioned contest had gotten disfigured and combined with those of other bakers on the trip over had only served to raise awareness about them abroad. The orders continued to increase after Princess Twilight Sparkle assumed her new status, and then further to dizzying levels after her crystal, tree-shaped palace had emerged in Ponyville.

Combined with the usual host of local residents who loved their recipes, this meant Mrs. and Mr. Cake spent more and more time trotting about downstairs—stoking the ovens and preparing orders—long after Princess Luna had raised the moon.

The couple rarely minded the extra work so long as they had Pinkie Pie around to help them. And Pinkie Pie had the same energy as a whole crew of baking assistants, even if she enjoyed taking “tiny, weeny tastes” of the delights they made a little too much and often.
Unfortunately, there were two members of the household often more demanding than any customer to step hoof into their bakery.

That evening, little Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake lay tenderly tucked into their crib in the nursery upstairs—

But they were not asleep.

Instead, they listened to the faint hoof falls of their parents and on-the-go foalsitter below, and even caught traces of the various delicious fragrances of baked goodies, which seemed to creep up past the very floorboards. On most occasions so far, such noises and smells wouldn’t have disturbed the twins. When tired after a long day of venturing around Sugar Cube Corner, or getting taken around Ponyville, they tended to sleep surprisingly well (to the great relief of Mr. and Mrs. Cake).

Right now they were not tired.

On that occasion, their parents had gotten so busy as to spend most of their time hard at work throughout the day. Even Pinkie Pie had been more distracted. There were still the feedings, diaper changings, and all the other things the fillies needed as always. But somehow it seemed to Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake that their parents and Pinkie Pie were paying just a little too much attention to other things and not to them.

Each one had half a mind to cry out to remind every pony they still existed, which between them would have equaled up to a far longer night for all concerned.

So the foals wiggled out from underneath their blankets, came to the edge of the crib (with their front hooves set atop the side), pointed their heads in the direction of the door for the best effect, and sucked in deep breaths in preparation for the wails to come.

That is, until a shadow flitted across the moonlight coming in through the nursery window from behind and distracted them. Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake paused—all thoughts of crying out evaporating—and turned about to take in a peculiar sight.

Outside, Ponyville was quiet and the streets were mostly empty. A great many ponies had already retired either to peaceful activities indoors or gone to bed. And the houses behind Sugar Cube Corner had been darkened for quite a while already, except for one window lit across the way by a candle placed upon the sill—where the twins could see an older foal tossing and turning in bed.

This was not so interesting to them, though, as the blue mare who hovered a bit above the foal’s window. She had a great flowing mane and tail like the starry night sky, and her Cutie Mark was of a crescent moon shining before a sea of dark clouds. As they gazed upon her, she appeared both strange yet familiar to the twins, almost as if she were some returning dream.

And, as if by some magic, they recognized and knew her name:

Princess Luna.

Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake watched in open-mouthed amazement while Princess Luna leaned her head down towards the window, and her horn glowed a pale, bluish hue. This caused sparkles to begin gently falling, almost like snowflakes, upon the foal in his bed—who then ceased tossing about and, with a contented sigh, fell asleep. Princess Luna then gently blew out the candlelight, watching the young pony with the same tender regard the twins had often seen on their parents’ faces.

Then Princess Luna began to fly away.

Yet the pair didn’t want her to leave.

So Pound Cake fluttered his small pegasus wings and soared to the window, while Pumpkin Cake used her unicorn magic to get airborne and follow him. From there it was only a matter of willpower for her to pass them both through the glass and to the outside.

The problem was that Pumpkin Cake’s magic, though it made phasing through objects and flight possible, lasted only for relatively short bursts. And she started to drop.

The little pony cried out in alarm, and Pound Cake would have zipped to her aide.

But another pony was faster.

In a graceful, sweeping arch, Princess Luna had sailed down underneath and caught Pumpkin Cake on her back—who first started in surprise, and then gurgled in happiness. Meanwhile, Pound Cake landed beside his sister, and the two hugged before turning to their rescuer.

“Shall we go for a flight, children?” Princess Luna whispered, with a soft smile.

“Gah!” the twins agreed.

***

With that, they were off sailing through the starry skies high above Ponyville. The moon was an unblemished pearl that bathed the land in pale yet bright illumination. Far below, Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake could see the few ponies still in the streets, from those rushing along the way to their warm homes to young couples out for a romantic walk. None noticed the princess and twins soar overhead—engrossed as they were in the work before them or preparations to turn in for the night.

Not long after, Princess Luna began to ascend, flapping her broad, feathery wings harder as she did—which even then were soft as hushed voices in the night—and sailed through a great bank of clouds. Their coolness caressed the twins and tickled them so much Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake giggled from the attention—

Until they broke free into the clear night air once again. And here the pair could only gape in awe. For now there was a vast cloud sea beneath them, over which the moon seemed much larger and grander than before.

Princess Luna whispered a spell on the breeze, and some faraway chorus of voices seemed to answer her. The moon shone brighter, and the twins thought they could see animal-like shadows dance across the face in a parade and clapped their hooves in appreciation for the show.

At this, the princess smiled and dived once more into the ocean below.

Next they sailed over the sweeping Everfree Forest, where they saw packs of Timberwolves rustling in great packs through the undergrowth, howling among one another as the ponies shot overhead, and caught hints of many other strange and fascinating beasts they could not name along the way.

Princess Luna paused for a moment over Fluttershy’s cottage at the edge of the forest, where the kind pegasus flew about tucking in the various woodland creatures who lived near her home into their burrows, dens, and nests. Several baby rabbits yawned and drifted off, curled together in a warm bunch.

This sight made Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake yawn as well. Yet when Princess Luna turned to gaze upon them, each filly struggled to muffle these signs of sleepiness and simply clapped their hooves for more.

After that, they soared over Sweet Apple Acres and paused near the lighted window of the farmhouse where Applejack lived with her family.
In her room, little Applebloom was sorting through papers and mumbling about Cutie Marks with great dark circles under her eyes. However, Princess Luna sparkled upon her the same magic she had on the restless colt before in town, and Applebloom dropped face-first to sleep. Soon after Applejack passed the open doorway, found her little sister asleep, and tenderly tucked her into bed.

This reminded Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake of how their parents had tucked them into bed that very night, with so much care even though the weariness had been clear in their own faces. And a hint of shame overcame them at the memory of how they had come so close to crying out for them as they did.

As if she understood the twins’ thoughts, Princess Luna nuzzled them gently with her snout before flying on once more.

Indeed, they did sail somewhat faster now, though still with great ease and grace.

They passed Carousel Boutique, where Rarity lay curled in her bed snoring (with a flower-print mask across her eyes), and even flew in a wide arch around Twilight’s crystal tree palace—where the princess was tucking her young assistant Spike into bed.

These visions, however, passed in the blink of an eye, as Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake’s heads grew increasingly heavy with sleep. But they still fought it, because there seemed to be no end to the wonders around Ponyville during this period.

That is, until Princess Luna began to sing, in a low yet sonorous voice that echoed far and near:

“Hush, my children in the night,
Tired from a full day at play,
Rest in my peaceful embrace,
And dream of beautiful things,
Sights to lift your spirits high,
While I rock you gently to sleep,
Keeping you safe and warm,
Watching until the sun rises,
To replace my mystical moon.”

Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake listened to the sweet melody, which was truly an invitation into dreamland. And in their minds, the twins could already see themselves rising to the starry heavens where shadows danced and Princess Luna would protect and be with them. There they might play together for longer without needing to fight.

All they had to do was enter its calmness.

So the twins did exactly this.

***

Not too long afterwards, Mr. and Mrs. Cake carefully opened the door into the nursery. The window was closed, yet the moonlight cast enough illumination across the crib before it for the parents to see that Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake were both resting soundly and happily.

They each heaved deep sighs of relief at the sight, grateful for this knowledge and that their foals could stay so quiet despite how hectic the past day had been—vowing to spend more fun, family-time with them the following day.

Then they thanked Luna for this relief (which was entirely appropriate).

And mother and father followed their children into pleasant dreams.

Author's Note:

This was just an idea that occurred to me a while ago, and which I decided to write down alongside several other project ideas. I hope you enjoy it, and that it doesn't come across as too rushed. ^_^

Comments ( 23 )

Very sweet. Part of me wondered right until the end, did Luna actually take the foals for a flight, or was it all a dream she gave them?

I like the idea of Luna acting as the sandman, giving sleep as well as good dreams to foals.

5812001 Thank you! I always thought that it was only a matter of time before Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake would meet Princess Luna--because she travels through the dreams of fillies so often. ^_^

5811995 Actually, I kind of thought this was a real possibility for Luna. She helps fillies to resolve their nightmares and sleep well, after all. ;3 Thanks!

Aw, I really loved this :twilightsmile: It was so sweet, and I don't think it seemed rushed at all! Just a little beautiful slice of life featuring Princess Luna :pinkiehappy:

5812197 That means a lot! The idea just occurred to me, and I'd always wanted to do something based on the great animation where Luna sings to the fillies at night. The context and outcome were different, but it seemed like something she would do. ;3

Far below, Pumpkin Pie and Pound Cake could see the few ponies still in the streets,

This sight made Pumpkin Pie and Pound Cake yawn as well.

as Pumpkin Pie and Pound Cake's heads grew increasingly heavy with sleep.

Pumpking Pie and Pound Cake listened to the sweet melody,

You wrote Pumpkin Pie four times instead Pumpkin Cake.

Pinkie Pie and Mr. Cake have some explaning to do! :rainbowlaugh:

Very beautiful and sweet and relaxing as well! Maybe some of Luna's magic is working on this tired old guy. This was a very good story. I really enjoyed your description of Luna and how she helps the foals. I also like the vagueness of whether Pumpkin and Pound are dreaming or actually with Luna on her nightly flight. Very, very nice! I enjoyed it!

Wish I could fly away with Luna now.....Thank you for a wonderful story.

5812214 I agree, I could see her doing something like this, especially since she seems to focus her dream-entering abilities on the younger ponies in Equestria :) And you're welcome for the favorite! :twilightsmile:

5812296 Oops! :pinkiegasp: Thank you for pointing out those mistakes (they should be fixed now)--and I'm sure Mr. Cake and Pinkie Pie would be happy for it as well. Hah. :pinkiehappy:

And thanks for the favorite! ;3

5815035 Luna is truly remarkable. Hopefully, we'll get to see more of her dream-walking in Season 5!

5812458 I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Luna must have a lot of sweet adventures with fillies late at night, so hearing this story captured some of that feels wonderful. I hope you slept well! ;3 And thank you for the favorite!

Awwh, cute:heart:

one thing:So the fillies wiggled out from underneath their blankets,:rainbowhuh:
I think that should be foal's

5815541 Thanks (for your kind words and the correction)! :yay: I've fixed that small error as well. ^_^

You are very welcome. I actually did sleep very well that night. Ever since I came into this fandom, I have had more restful nights than I ever did before. Some would say it is just coincidence......I say it is magic! The kind of magic that only those who truly love and care for others can wield. Much as those who can write a beautiful tale of such a place and the wondrous beings that reside there.
Thank you (and Luna) for a night of peaceful slumber.

5816226 I agree! This fan community is truly a magical one. Everyone is so friendly, encouraging, and uplifting. I love how it helps people to pursue their goals and get better at their passions, such as when talented writers help each other to stay confident and become stronger at this craft.

You're welcome, but Luna did most of the work (hah)--and I wish you many more restful nights.

I like this story! :pinkiehappy: Pretty sweet and sound, just like the rest Pound and Pumpkin Cake is going to have. :scootangel:

5819308 Thanks, and indeed they are! :twilightsmile:

This story reminded me to go and watch the awesome animation and music of DuoCartoonist!!! in other words, I LOVE IT!!!! Keep up the great work!!! HAPPY EASTER TO YOU!:pinkiesmile::twilightsmile:

-Brightly Litt

5826909 Thank you so much for the praise, although I think DuoCartoonist deserves it most of all for making such a lovely animation. I'll keep working hard, and I hope your Easter celebration is the best! :twilightsmile:

5811995

I suspect she gave them a dream of them flying with Luna. I find it very unlikely that she abducted two foals from their beds without the permission of the parents. In either case, the fic was very cute .:moustache:

6855174 Ah, thank you very much!

You wrote another great story!

7994349 Thanks for you kind words!

Login or register to comment