• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 9,117 Views, 272 Comments

Trickster Priest - Fresnor



Equestria has to deal with monsters on a weekly basis but what happens when an actual monster shows up in the from as a once costumed human?

  • ...
29
 272
 9,117

Chapter 34

The monster looked down at the dragon as he sheepishly looked back up at him. As the larger figure smirks, the smaller one frowns in annoyance. “Don't say it...”

“Well I see that you're a bit tied up here, so I guess I'll have to find you later.” Spike groaned at Xellos' horrible joke as he glared at the pets that he was supposed to be watching. For some reason they were being more troublesome than usual which had resulted in his current situation of being tied to a tree by them.

“Ugh, I told you not to say it. What are you even doing here anyways? Shouldn't you be, I don't know, out bugging Twilight or something?” Xellos shrugged as he looked over the leashes keeping the dragon in place before snapping his fingers, causing them to release the dragon.

“Yeah, I don't really feel like dealing with the aura of love around the Crystal Empire right now. Though I guess it could have been interesting to see if there are any changelings left. I'm curious as to just how Sombra did that to them. Of course, right now I'm finding it interesting how a promising swordsdragon like you is having so much trouble with a bunch of simple pets.” Spike winced as he unraveled the leashes from around his body before gathering all the pets up again.

“They aren't bad alone, but get them together, especially with Angel, and they are impossible to control. Wait, where IS Angel?” Looking around, Spike found that the leash that had held the fluffy abomination was now dangling empty on the other side of the tree. Groaning, Spike raised a claw to his face when a carrot struck him in the back of his head. Turning to look up into the tree he found the bunny glaring down at him before grinning and hopping down the other side of the tree and away.

“Oh great, he escaped. Now what am I going to do? Can this day get any worse?” The world decided to answer him as a belch ripped through him and a gout of flame erupted from his mouth. When they cleared, a journal and note fell into his hands as he let out a groan. Before he could react, Xellos snatched up the book as he got a closer look at it.

“Well now, if it isn't Swirly's old journal. I had wondered where it had gone to after all these years. Not that I tried to hard to look for it since I already have he older ones. He always did get annoyed that he kept losing them.” Spike glared up at him as Xellos flipped through the journal.

“Hey! Give that back! The princess must have sent that to Twilight for a reason!” Glancing over the edge of the journal, Xellos just casually resumed reading.

“Oh don't worry, I'll be sure that she gets it once she returns. But aren't you forgetting a more immediate problem? A little monstrous bunny problem?” Spike frowns for a moment before his eyes widen in realization.

“Oh crud! Angel's on the loose! If Fluttershy finds out that I lost him, then...” Spike trails off as a faraway look enters his eyes before he takes off after the escaping critter with the other pets in tow. Shaking his head, Xellos looks back to the book.

“Well have fun, old friend. Of course I'll be making sure that Twilight gets this, but first...” With a grin Xellos reaches towards his bag and starts to dig around.

<><><><><><><><><><>

“...so girls, I really could use your help with this.” Twilight looked around at her friends as she finished explaining why she had called them over. She looked at them all hopefully as they frowned in confusion.

“Ah don't know, Twilight. Ah mean why would ya even need my help with something like this? It's not like ah know anything about magic that could help ya, and ah doubt anypony except Rarity would be able to help.” Twilight frowned at her friend's response before she realized that she may have gotten too into her explanation again and tried to explain again more clearly.

“That's the problem though, this spell that the princess wants me to complete is like nothing I have ever seen before. If I'm reading this right, a unicorn alone has no hope of completing it, and even a group of them would fail. It seems to need the support of earth ponies and pegasii to complete it, as well as unicorns. I'm not even sure if I will even be able to cast this spell, even with all of your help, it's extremely complicated.” Eyebrows rose as she said this as they had yet to see a spell that Twilight couldn't cast. For her to say that she was unsure if she could do it, even with help, said just how difficult the spell was and they couldn't deny her their help and not feel guilty.

“Well if you need our help than you can count on us! Just tell us what we need to do and we'll do it.” The others looked wary for a moment before they nodded along with Rainbow Dash's claim, causing Twilight to let out a happy grin and started clapping her hooves together.

“Ooh, this is going to be so exciting! Not only do I get to try out a new, never before seen spell, but my friends are going to be helping me with it as well!” Her friends couldn't help but grin as Twilight started bouncing around the room in her excitement.

“So, what do you need us to do?” At Rainbow Dash's question, Twilight paused for a moment to calm down before she pulled out the journal and spread out a multitude of loose pages.

“Well if I am reading this right, you just have to stand in the specified locations and do... well... whatever it is you do when using your respective magic. I already have everything set up downstairs, the hardest part was drawing out all these runes and the magic circle required. It also requires a magical focus for each of us, but luckily the princess recently sent the Elements here for safe-keeping in case we ever needed them.” Hearing that the spell would require not just them, but also the Elements of Harmony caused the five mares to look at each other once again in worry. Twilight missed seeing this as she was already heading downstairs, thinking that the others were following her.

“Um, is it too late to change my mind?” Fluttershy let out an 'eep' as her friends turned towards her before they all followed their friend downstairs. Once they reached the room that Twilight had prepared, the gaped at seeing all the drawings on the floor and ceiling as everything else had been cleared out of the room, presumably into the bulging closet.

“There you are. I was wondering what was taking so long. Rarity, could you double check that I have everything correct while I show the others where they need to stand? Your eye for detail should be able to spot anything I might have missed.” The white mare soon had a multitude of drawings shoved in her face as the other four mares were shuffled off to various points around the room.

With a sigh the fashionista started going through the drawings and comparing them to the markings on the floor and ceiling. As she went through them she marveled at the complexity and strange beauty of what her friend was making. Soon she came to the last of the sigils before she paused and pointed a hoof down at one. “Twilight, you have this one wrong. It looks like it is not only backwards but upside down as well.”

Coming up alongside her, Twilight blushed as she rubbed the mark out before remaking it with a spare piece of silvered chalk. “Oops, good find there Rarity. Not like it would have done anything dangerous like turn this into the center of a crater encompassing all of Ponyville or anything, hehe.”

The others felt a stab of fear as Twilight nervously laughed off her attempt at a joke and on again reconsidered if they should really be helping her with this, or even be within the same country. Still, they had promised to help her and the fact that she was at least making sure everything was safe at least partially reassured them.

Soon the two unicorns had checked everything over and Twilight led Rarity over to her position in front of her own Element. Taking her own place at the center, Twilight levitated the Element of Magic onto her head before looking around at the others. “All right, that should be everything. Now all of you just... do what comes naturally? Honestly I'm not even sure what is supposed to happen, but whatever it is should be unbelievable.”

Charging up her horn, Twilight stated channeling her magic into the circle below and above herself. Her friends watched warily as the circle started to glow, which spread out from the center. As it reached the portion that they were on, the five mare's eyes lit up in the color of their Element as they froze in place. Soon Twilight's magic reached the outer edges of the circle and the Elements bordering it which started to glow before firing off a beam of magic into each of her friends. The last sight that Twilight saw, was the image of her friend's bodies fading from existence as the energy that hit them was channeled into her, turning her vision lavender.

As Twilight's body faded away like her friends, a figure walked out of the shadows and gathered up the fallen notes and journal. Seeing the energy fade from the magic circle, he began erasing and evidence of what he had done. Once it was cleared, Xellos stood back with a smile as he looked up. “Your move, Sunbutt. Your move.”

<><><><><><><><><><>

Princess Celestia stood, staring at her student and her friends. She had expected seeing Twilight arrive here eventually, but the fact that her friends had shown up as well at the same time was a complete surprise. The six mares were still in a daze at what happened, which prevented them from seeing the look of surprise on the princess' face before she began to compose herself.

“Ugh, Princess Celestia? What are you doing here? Where are we? I cast that spell after finishing it, though I've never seen a spell using a magic circle like that, and next thing I know my friends all disappeared and I was here.” Twilight looked around the infinite expanse of stars around her. Seeing her friends, she was relieved that they were unharmed, especially after what she thought she saw.

“Twilight, what you have done is... Wait, magic circle?! There was nothing like that in Starswirl's journal. Where did you get the idea to use something as dangerous as that?!” Twilight was thrown off a moment as Princess Celestia's wings flared out and her eyes widened in panic.

“But princess, it was all there at the end. Sure I had to finish up the last bit of research on it, but the spell clearly said that it was a requirement. I even managed to cut out the verbal component of the spell by using it.” Celestia's jaw dropped in shock at hearing this before she brought up a hoof to rub at her head.

“But where did it even come from? There was nothing like that in the journal when I sent it. Everything is going wrong, in fact I did not even plan for your friends to be here like this!” Her head snapped to the side as laughter filtered out of the aether.

“Oh, but Celly, this is going along with my own plans perfectly.” As Xellos faded into view, the princess reacted angrily as she got up right in his face.

“You! What did you do!? You told me that you would not do anything to interfere with Twilight's destiny! And how are you even here! Creatures like you should not even be able to enter the Aetheric Realms!” Xellos just chuckled before patted her on the head.

“Oh, silly alicorn, thinking that you know everything. High level monsters can easily slip between the physical realm and the Astral Plane, so it shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for the strongest ones to make it here. I mean it's only a jump to the left from there anyways to get here.” The princess was shocked silent at this which gave a certain pink pony to add her own comment.

“Ooh! Ooh! And a slide to the right!” Xellos shook his head at his adopted niece.

“Not quite that far Pinkie, that leads into the dream realms where Luna rules. I tend to avoid that area.” As the two conversed, neither noticed the princess' mane flaring up a bit as she stared at Xellos.

“XELLOS! Why must you be so infuriating!” She would have said more but the sound of crunching off to the side drew her attention. Looking in that direction, Celestia found both her sister and Discord watching the show while eating popcorn. Seeing the draconequus, the target of her anger changed momentarily. “Discord! Did you have anything to do with this!?”

The chimeric creature scoffed at her accusations as he dug into his bag for another clawful. “Oh, please. Why would I want to make even more of you? I'm just here to see the great and patient Celestia finally lose it in front of her own student who worships the ground she walks on.”

The princess froze up before her head slowly turned back towards her student and her friends. Seeing Twilight's eye beginning to twitch she sighed and rubbed at her temple with a hoof. “Luna? Could you please do something about your coltfriend while I deal with the mess he created?”

The princess of the night started sputtering at her sister as her wings flared out behind her. “Coltfriend!? With that thing!? I wouldn't date him if he was the last stallion alive!”

“Please, as if I would have anything to do with miss emo over there? 'Ooh, look at me! Nobody is paying attention to me so I'm going to kill the entire world through eternal night!'” Luna's face darkened even further as she glared at the monster.

“This coming from an overgrown child given too much power! Why I ought to...” As the two began arguing back and forth, Celesta shook her head as she made her way back to her student to calm her down, while Discord and Pinkie Pie watched the new show that was evolving.

“I'm sure that you have many questions, my faithful student, but time is short. Once you get back I shall...” She was a bit premature in her thoughts that things couldn't get worse as Discord took that moment to speak up.

“Don't forget to tell her how her and all her friends are dead now. I doubt any of them could make it here otherwise, except for Pinkie pie here. I can't believe how much fun she has been since I decided to give this friend thing a try.” Hoof met face yet again as Twilight's eyes widened before she began to hyperventilate at the thought of killing herself as well as her friends.

<><><><><><><><><><>

It took a while to calm Twilight down, but by that time it was time to send her and her friends back. The six were now waiting for the princess to arrive at the library as the prodded at their new appendages. Spike was wearily setting out a tea set and a tray of biscuits before stumbling towards the door as someone started knocking on it. Opening the door, he found Princess Celestia there who he invited in before stumbling up towards his bed.

As she entered the room, she looked around at the gathered mares who turned to look at her which distracted them from their new body parts. “I am sure you all have questions for me, and I will do my best to answer any question you have.”

The mares looked at each other before Fluttershy hesitantly lifted her hoof. “Um, was it true that we actually, um, died?”

Princess Celestia sighed as she levitated a cup of tea to herself. “So the difficult question first? Very well. Alicorns are a special sort of creature that little is known about. My sister and I were not born as one either, but became one after we took control of the sun and moon, angering the unicorns of the time. We died not long after they found us, and we found ourselves in the same place you did. Over the years we learned that some immortals are born that way as they shed their former body to acquire a new one that can handle their future strength. This new body is nearly impossible to kill as it is tied to some concept that has to be sundered before they can truly be killed. That or a weapon or being of greater power has to be used.”

The newly made alicorns just stared at the princess as she explained, though now they had even more questions than before. “Wait, so you mean that we are immortal now as well? What is this going to mean for us and our families?”

Turning to Rarity with a look of pity, the princess shook her head. “As I said, the difficult question. The price of this for is the curse of watching those you know and love pass into history as you outlive them. Things will change for them as well as your upcoming coronation will thrust them into the sights of he nobles as they try and gain your favor.”

“Wait, you mean you were going to force this on Twilight? You did say that you had all this planned for her before, and what do you mean by a coronation?” The princess winced at Rainbow Dash's tone before she shook her head.

“You are all alicorns now, and by the laws of Equestria that makes you princesses now as well. And Twilight was the only one I was sure that would become an alicorn like this, the rest of you are an unexpected complication caused by Xellos. Yet, if he had not done this, then you likely would have come into your own in the future and ascended after dying from old age or an accident. There have been those that have lived a peaceful life before their immortality asserted itself.” The mares looked at each other at this information, giving the princess time to organize her thoughts.

“This is just so much to take in. So where are we going with all this now, princess?” The princess sighed as she looked over the mares before her gaze settled on Twilight.

“First, I need to take the journal and those notes back with me to examine just what Xellos did. The additions you described are something that have long been forgotten and it would be best if they were stored somewhere that others can not access them. Then we need to discuss the plans for your coronations.” As Twilight went down to the basement for the notes, the others looked at each other before they covered their ears at Rarity's squeal as she realized just what was happening. Before they could get into talking about it, Twilight came rushing back up from downstairs.

“Princess! The notes, the circle! It's all gone!” With a groan, Celestia shook her head as she planted a hoof in her face.

“Oh, Xellos. Just what are you hiding this time?” The newly minted alicorns just stared at the larger alicorn as they wondered if they should be worrying about if things were about to get even worse.

Author's Note:

New chapter, :yay: . And for those that missed it, I posted a new little joke story. HERE