• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 9,117 Views, 272 Comments

Trickster Priest - Fresnor



Equestria has to deal with monsters on a weekly basis but what happens when an actual monster shows up in the from as a once costumed human?

  • ...
29
 272
 9,117

Chapter 23

Xellos yawned as he looked out over the tranquil view of Ponyville from the cliff overlooking it. It had been quiet since Twilight's birthday and beyond the occasional trip to pester the princesses he was starting to get bored and him being bored wasn't good for anyone. Before he could head out to spread a bit of havoc though a loud shattering sound was heard throughout the town followed by a roar.

“Well now, what have we hear?” Gaining some altitude he looked around before spying a large wingless dragon stomping through the streets in search of something. With the familiar colors of the dragon, as well as remembering what event Pinkie was planning for the day before.

“Huh, it seems little Twilight has screwed up once again. That or the princess forgot to teach her the important things about young Spike there. Now should I help her out or just take pictures to annoy the princess with later. Decisions, decisions.” As he tried to decide what to do, Twilight and her friends were chasing the once diminutive dragon after he had abducted Sweetie Belle from her sister's boutique.

“Rarity, don't you have any idea how to stop him? I mean Spike always used to do anything you asked of him.” Rainbow Dash looked over at the white mare to see her shaking her head with a sigh.

“Sorry, darling. But Spikey Wikey has actually been more interested in my sister than me lately. He even found this beautiful jewel recently but he would only let me have it once Sweetie Belle asked him for it nicely. I don't know why but something about him ignoring me in favor of her annoys me.” The others roll their eyes at her and some of them would have chuckled if it wasn't for the current situation.

They each did what they could to stop Spike but with him acting the way he was and them not wanting to hurt him they had little effect. They paused at the arrival of the Wonderbolts but they were also completely ineffective as Spike easily catching them inside the water tower he was carrying around before slamming the opening into the side of a mountain. The six mares could only watch in open-mouthed shock at this before a clicking sound caught their attention. Looking to the side they saw a familiar bipedal figure wielding a camera. “Xellos? Just what are you doing?”

Putting the camera away, the monster added the fresh pictures to a photo album. “Oh nothing much. Just getting pictures of Equestria's most ineffectual special forces team. I would have thought they would have lasted a little longer than that. They've really gone downhill since the days when they fought actual monsters.”

While Applejack held Rainbow Dash back by her tail, Twilight was rubbing at the side of her head. “Is this really the time for your jokes? Couldn't you at least help for once instead of doing whatever it is you do. Spike hasn't hurt anypony yet but I'm not sure how long will last with how he has been changing.”

Xellos hummed to himself as he observed the dragon that was now chewing on a portion of Sugarcube Corner that had broken off on his exit. “Yes, I can see that. I do wonder who didn't restrain him from getting this far in the first place. Anyone that has been around long enough should know about a greed issues. This always happens if a dragon isn't disciplined by a stronger being until they are stronger than anything within their immediate area. Of course the growth is limited by what they know of the strength of others. I'm guessing that with his natural resistance that even your magic would be hard-pressed now.”

Getting away from Applejack, Rainbow Dash finally was able to fly up into the bipeds face. “Who do you think you are saying that about the Wonderbolts!? They are the awesomest fliers in all of Equestria and don't you forget it!”

Xellos and the cyan pegasus stared at each other for a few moments before he held up the photo album. “Well this picture of them being knocked out by Rarity of all ponies says otherwise, and adding that to just now when they tried to save Sweetie Belle they aren't doing that good of a job. In fact I'd say Fluttershy is better at the rescue thing than they are. Now if you'll excuse me I have a student to go speak with.”

He left the six ponies behind with one pegasus with her jaw nearly to the ground and the other one a beet red. Vanishing from their location he quickly reappeared next the the giant dragon but more specifically the hand holding Sweetie Belle. “So, how is the young damsel-in-distress today? Are you having fun?”

The young filly in question lifted her head up from where it was planted in the claw holding her and gave him a bored look. “What do you think? Sure it was scary at first, then a bit fun when I noticed it was only Spike, but he won't even talk to me and I'm getting bored up here.”

Raising an eyebrow at her lackadaisical attitude, Xellos just looks over the claw holding her. “Well let's see about getting you out of there. As entertaining as he is like this I think I prefer him as he was before. Now how to go about doing this.” As he was talking he didn't notice that Spike was leaning down to glare at him from above until he started to roar at him and took a swipe with his free claw.

With a sigh the monster effortlessly glided out of the claw's path while chanting a spell. “Bogardic Elm.” With yet another roar Spike tried to take a step after the fleeing biped but stumbled as his footing was caught up in the mire that was now under his feet. Looking down he found that the ground had changed and was now sticking to his feet. On hearing the sound of a throat clearing he once again looked up to see Xellos floating in front of him. “Sit, boy”

With a flick of his staff Xellos slammed the end of it into the top of Spike's head sending him flat into the swamp below with the filly just outside of it still in his grip. With a roar Spike tried to struggle his way out of the muck as his spines began to lengthen and grow sharper. “Now now, we can't have you running off and causing more trouble. Freeze Arrow!” With a flick of his wrist he sends a shower of arrows encasing all of the dragon's limbs in ice before landing in front of the dragon's head causing him to roar again. “Oh, be quiet.”

With another flick a sent out another burst of magic freezing Spike's jaw shut with his head pointed in Sweetie Belle's direction. “Spike! Xellos, please don't hurt him!”

“Oh don't worry, it'll take much more than to actually hurt him. Now how to go about turning him back.” He stood there pondering as he looked between the struggling dragon and the filly as an idea started to form in his mind. “Hmm, have you ever heard what you are supposed to do with shooting stars?”

Sweetie Belle tilted her head slightly as she looked at Xellos in confusion. “You mean how you can make a wish on them? But what does that have to do with helping Spike?”

With a small grin Xellos looked up towards Canterlot which happened to be on the other side of the dragon's head as his plan came to completion. “Oh just an idea, but remember to do that face that you give to your sister when you really, really want something.” Stepping a bit away Xellos brought his hands as the filly looked at him in confusion.

Heed me, thou who casts thy gaze from the heavens upon this land.
Now, bring thy power to Earth...
Meteor Fall!

From his upraised arms a beam of light shot up into the sky before slowly fading away. All the ponies in the area stare at him wondering what had gone wrong with his spell as they couldn't see anything happening. Suddenly the wind started to pick up as the birds in the area started fleeing from the trees into the sky. Fluttershy gasped as this was happening due to her connection with the wildlife. “What is happening? The animals are terrified of something but I can't tell what.”

By this point Xellos had lowered his arms and was watching the sky and all eyes followed his gaze, except for the still struggling dragon. Rainbow Dash was the first to see something, due to her superior pegasus eyesight, and let out a gasp as she saw something. “What is that!? Where did that giant rock come from up there!?”

Squinting to try and see it, Twilight's eyes soon widened in terror as she soon could see the object that was starting to give off a red glow. “What in the world!? Is that an asteroid!? Is Xellos trying to kill us all!?”

Her friends looked at her in shock for a moment before looking up at the object glowing in the sky. Sweetie Belle was far enough away to not hear her but she did see the shooting star beginning to form. Remembering Xellos' words, she widened her eyes into a teary look before silently making her wish as the star blazed across the sky. With him looking in her direction, Spike was hit with the full force of her look and it shot a feeling of shame through his entire body.

Slowly Spike's body began to soften before beginning to shrink down to his original size again. His grip on Sweetie Belle loosened, allowing her to slip out while his bonds were starting to be too large to hold him. Soon he was left rubbing his head in the middle of the mire looking around him all confused. “Ugh, what happened?”

“Spike!” The young dragon was knocked back into the muck again as he was tackled by the white filly as she threw herself at him in relief on seeing his original form. His confusion was heightened as he saw that Twilight and her friends staring in shock at the sky before looking up to see the still falling star.

Appearing in front of Twilight, Xellos brushed off a rogue patch of dust before looking down towards her. “Well how was that? One dragon returned to his original self with minimal property damage on my part.” Twilight's only reply was to raise a hoof to point behind him causing him to turn and look up curiously.

The asteroid had now mostly burned up but there was still a large chunk left still falling towards the planet. He opened his mouth to say something but stopped as the meteorite finally finished it's decent, slamming into a tower in Canterlot. The six mare's jaws dropped at the sight while Xellos rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Hmm, must have been a bit larger than I thought, but I swear that it should have landed somewhere deep in the Everfree. Hmm, I guess the planet doesn't spin as fast as I thought it did or something, oh well, I doubt anyone got hurt, it was only a tower.”

Turning around he was met with six shocked glares to which he only raised an eyebrow. Suddenly they were all blown back and wincing as a shock wave blew over the town that sounded uncomfortably familiar. “XELLOS!”

Glancing back towards Canterlot, Xellos sweat-dropped slightly before rubbing the back of his head with a nervous laugh. “Well it seems that my job here is done, I have something to do elsewhere now. See ya!”

He flew off into the distance and the six deadpanned as they spotted a dark streak chasing after him while two young being struggled to drag themselves out of the nearby mud.

Author's Note:

Um, oops? :trollestia: Guess things might be a tad difficult next chapter during Nightmare Night. :derpytongue2: