• Published 1st Apr 2015
  • 9,097 Views, 272 Comments

Trickster Priest - Fresnor



Equestria has to deal with monsters on a weekly basis but what happens when an actual monster shows up in the from as a once costumed human?

  • ...
29
 272
 9,097

Chapter 20

Sweet Apple Acres was well known for both it's apples and the hospitality of the ponies that live there. What few know is that the trees are also some of the most comfortable around which led to the common infestation of rainbow-maned pegasii that plagued it. Xellos was using the trees for this purpose as he reclined on a branch while watch two ponies work around a nearby barn.

“Always nice to have a show while I relax. Though I wonder how Applejack and Rainbow Dash will tear that barn down by themselves.” He rose an eyebrow as the farm mare took cover while the pegasus moved towards the barn alone. He let lose a whistle as he watched the mare slam through the walls of the building as she started to tear the building apart. He was just as surprised as the pegasus when her rainbow tail was snatched up in familiar glow of magic, stopping her in midair.

Not having noticed that Twilight had been walking up, Xellos examined her closely and noticed a few odd tics in her. Eventually the two separated, with Twilight taking cover with AJ while the pegasus started flying up high into the air. Xellos' eyes watched as Rainbow Dash came diving down at the barn at high speeds before an explosion of colors spread out from her just before she slammed into it. He shuddered a bit as the rainboom rippled through the nearby dimensions, including the astral plane. “I wonder if they even know how dangerous her doing that can be to everything nearby. If I can feel it from here then lesser monsters at the point of impact will definitely have problems.”

Noticing that Twilight is walking off away from the barn, while looking a bit more messy than before, Xellos decides to follow her as he feels that things are about to get interesting. His expectations are proven true as he follows the mare towards Fluttershy's home to find her wrestling a bear. He was impressed that the shy mare had a hidden outer strength to go along with the inner strength that she also kept hidden from others. He was tempted to stay longer but with how Twilight seemed to be shaken from seeing this he decided to follow her instead.

Over the course of the next few hours he observed the unicorn's descent into madness as her worries got the best of her and she found no relief from them. When she came upon the three fillies he had taught magic to he frowned with worry as the situation started to hit its peak. “I really hope that she doesn't do anything dangerous. I'd rather not have to step in and stop her, especially since her friends don't seem to think anything is wrong.”

When Twilight pulled out the doll and eventually cast a spell on it he had to laugh at what he saw as everything went out of control. He was subtle about protecting the three fillies while the town was going crazy by subtly protecting them from being trampled during the small riot. It wasn't hard to do so by using a wind barrier or three just before they could get hurt so nobody would notice anything was out of place.

Through it all he was laughing and he didn't stop until the arrival of Princess Celestia who quickly resolved the problems caused by her student. After sending her student to the library while she cleaned things up Twilight's friends met up to talk before chasing after the two with the monster following them unseen. After letting her ponies know about the new arrangements that were going to happen she was about to leave when Xellos decided to make an appearance.

“Bravo, Twilight. I haven't seen anything that entertaining in years. You really do have a way with magic.” Celestia rolled her eyes at the monster while her student flinched away from him.

“Xellos, why are you here? I sure hope you have not had anything to do with any of this.” He affected a look of hurt at her words before leaning back against the tree while seated on the railing of the balcony.

“I'm hurt that you would think I would have done something like this. Even if I had a reason to I'd find a more entertaining way than using magic to mind control an entire town in such a way that random beings could get hurt. Besides, it's your student that cast the spell, I have to wonder where she even found it.” Twilight huddled down at her teacher's hooves and looks almost to the point of crying which has her friends glaring at the monster.

“Is there a point to all of this or are you just here to torment my student?” Celestia's voice hardens slightly as she drops a wing over her student to block her off from the biped.

“No reason really, I just felt like commenting on how you complain about me teaching the old magic when your students learn spells like that. Of course it probably is fortunate that you only teach a weakened version of it now or else your ponies could have actually been killing each other back there.” Twilight's eyes widen at his words when she hears about what could have happened but the other part of his words catches her attention causing her to peek out from behind her mentor's wing.

“What do you mean the spells are the same but weaker? I thought unicorn magic was completely different from the forbidden spells that you knew.” If they could have seen them through his mostly closed eyes and the darkness they would have seen him rolling his eyes at them as he starts flicking a finger through the air causing runes to appear.

“This is how the spell is written out for a relatively common spell that was used in combat centuries ago.” Flinging his hand out into the air he sends arrows of fire flying into the air before snapping his fingers to extinguish them. “Now this...” He waves a hand through the runes wiping most of them away while gathering up what remains in front of his hand. “...this is how she teaches unicorns, and only unicorns, how to cast the same spell.” Causing the runes to line up in front of him as if they were lined up in a horn he thrusts his hand forward causing them to compress together and firing out mere darts of flame that don't go nearly as far as the last spell.

Twilight's eyes are wide at learning this while Celestia just glares at him for showing this to her student before she sighs as he continues. “The so-called 'Want-it-Need-it' spell really has many forms depending on how it was used. At full power how you used it would cause any affected by it to tear each other apart violently just to get at it. Now if cast on a living creature it works a little differently depending on where it is focused but I'll leave it to the princess to tell you how later.”

At that point he vanished leaving the ponies alone to allow Celestia to finalize her departure none of them noticing the three figures that were sneaking away below them. As she flew off back towards Canterlot she grit her teeth as she felt a familiar presence beside her, having had enough of him for the night. “Now what do you want?”

“Don't be like that, Celly. While this may not be good news it still is something you might want to hear about, especially since it concerns Discord.” Celestia's wings falter for a moment causing her to drop a few feet before she recovers and looks at him with wide eyes, waiting for him to continue. He holds up his left arm to show off that talisman on his wrist to her. “I'm sure you remember what these are, correct?”

At her nod he flips around above her to her other side and shows off the right talisman which has a faint blue glow in its depths, causing her to raise as eyebrow. “After Discord was sealed I paid him a visit and something flowed out of him causing this to happen. I don't suppose the name, Chaotic Blue means anything to you, does it?”

Once again Celestia froze up but at least this time her wings were locked out to her sides allowing her to glide for a distance before she recovered. “Where did you hear about that?! Even when I was young that name was only part of legends but he was supposed to have been defeated by the ancient alicorn emperors along with three other ancient evils. The world was supposed to be a very dark place until they were locked away and eventually destroyed. But why would all that matter?”

Xellos frowned as he looked down at the blue glow before looking at the alicorn. “If I'm right part of him may still be around and that part came to inhabit Discord until the talisman absorbed it. I may never have met him but everything I knew about Discord painted him as being different from how he was acting, which was erratic as it was.”

Celestia considered his words and couldn't help but agree with him. The Discord that recently escaped was not the same one that she and her sister had defeated in the past. There were moments though when she saw signs of the old him but generally he was out of character even for him. “I see what you mean, but what are you getting at?”

Xeloss' tone grew serious which was a stunning change from his usual playful mood which actually scared her a bit. “Each talisman represents one of the four monsters that I'm betting match up with your great evils. With Discord having been possessed by one of them that means that those stories were wrong and there could be at least three more out there. I hope you are ready because things are about to get much worse especially if they possess beings that are easier for them to control.”

Thinking back to Discord and how bad things were then Celestia wasn't sure she wanted to see how much worse things could get. If Xellos was worried about this then she had to talk to her sister and make plans immediately.

Author's Note:

Rewritten and a bit short but not much really happened anyways. Now I need to double check my theoretical notes to make sure this doesn't happen again. :facehoof: