• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,619 Views, 27 Comments

Defender of Equestria - twilightsparkle3562



Shining Armor faces off against a Changeling General who kidnaps Cadence and Twilight in an effort to avenge Queen Chrysalis's defeat.

  • ...
4
 27
 2,619

Back Home in The Crystal Empire

Chapter 6

“Back Home in the Crystal Empire”

So, Shining Armor and Cadence were back in the Crystal Empire where they belonged and with Kuwaga and his minions rotting in the Crystal Empire dungeons until further notice, at least they could sleep soundly without any disturbances. However, before this story would come to a close, Shining Armor would meet his mentor again as night fell on the Crystal Empire.

“How are you feeling?” asked the Equestrian Bounty Hunter, noticing how Shining Armor was quickly healing. “You look as if you are recovering from your injuries very nicely.”

This could only bring a smile to Shining Armor’s face, knowing that his mentor was able to give such a nice remark.

“Thanks,” replied Shining Armor, looking down slightly. “Cadence is glad to be back where she belongs…with me. And Twilight is glad to be back where she belongs…with her friends and her own subjects.”
Shining Armor then looked back up at where he shared his bedroom with Cadence. He knew that he had to be joining her soon and that it would be time for him and Lock Down to go their separate ways.
“Lock Down, before you go,” said Shining Armor, knowing that Lock Down was going to be leaving soon. “Do you think that maybe Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will forgive you for all you had done?”

Lock Down was silent for a moment and shut his eyes thinking back to those days when he was accused of abusing his position.

“I don’t know, Shining Armor,” he sighed. “There is a reason why they forced me to resign. I don’t know if I could ever face them again.”

“They could give you a decent reward and let you retire with honor,” suggested Shining Armor, trying to brighten his mentor’s spirits. “After all, you did rescue my wife and sister.”

“No,” replied Lock Down, looking back up towards his student. “You saved your wife and sister. I just held off the Changelings while you did what you did. Although I will admit that it would have been nice if Kuwaga was slain in front of his changelings.”

Shining Armor was aghast by this and wanted to make Lock Down see sense that he was talking nonsense. After all, Cadence disliked violence unless it was absolutely necessary, as did Shining Armor himself.

“He didn’t kill anypony,” protested Shining Armor. “So, there was no reason for him to die and you know it.”

“Still, the changelings could strike again with their top general now imprisoned,” remarked Lock Down, knowing that his work was not done. “I will not rest until Equestria is purged of all the creatures that poison it. I’m sorry, but I cannot face Celestia and Luna again until I have completed my mission.”

Lock Down was just about to leave, when Shining Armor stopped him again. It was apparent that the prince of the crystal empire was not going to let this matter drop easily.

“You may need to at some point,” he said. “Cadence is not just my wife, but she is also their niece. They may want to thank you for rescuing her.”

Lock Down considered the matter for a moment, but he was still not going to face them, despite all he had done for them and for Equestria. However, he was satisfied with one thing.

“No,” he sighed, walking back towards Shining Armor. “But, I will say this: I am who I am and nothing more. I am a bounty hunter, not a captain of the royal guard. I know I was your teacher, Shining Armor, but when all is said and done, you are my teacher.”

Shining Armor was surprised at this statement made by his mentor. The last thing he remembered was that Lock Down was brought to him by Twilight and Cadence in an effort to regain his confidence.

“Why am I your teacher?” wondered Shining Armor as they felt another strong gust of wind. “What did I teach you?”

Another strong gust of wind blew through the two unicorns as Shining Armor listened in to the reasons behind Lock Down’s confession.

“When I was approached by your wife and sister,” he said. “I thought that maybe perhaps I was going to be given the second chance I had long been seeking since I was banished from the royal guard. My time as a bounty hunter got me thinking that what I did was wrong and that what I had taught you was wrong to. I wanted you to be a royal guard captain, not a bounty hunter.”

“But, you taught me all those techniques that you possessed in your tenure,” stuttered Shining Armor, as he followed Lock Down to the edge of the Crystal Empire. “What did I teach you about?”

“About what I did was wrong,” replied Lock Down as his dogs slowly came forward, standing next to him. “I caused you to have the failures that you had inflicted upon yourself. But, when you had those failures, you learned from them and have become the leader that you are now. You just needed another lesson in atoning for your actions and that Kuwaga was your catalyst for achieving that lesson.”

At that moment, Lock Down’s dogs started to make their way towards the route out of the Crystal Empire and with one final glance and one set of farewells, Shining Armor watched as his mentor went off into the night. Why Lock Down chose to leave so urgently at that moment crossed Shining Armor’s mind greatly.

However, he couldn’t help but wonder when or if Lock Down would face his former superiors and be thanked for his actions. That was a question that would be answered in due time, but for now Shining Armor felt like the weight of Equestria was off of his shoulders.

After all, he was a prince and all that mattered to him was that Cadence and Twilight were safe along with the rest of his subjects.

Comments ( 3 )

This was a really good story. I never thought of how a prince would feel not be able to protect the kingdom he helps rule. Especially Shining. There were a few spelling errors, but other than a very good read.
~LATEP

6233988
I honestly wish there were more princes in the show, I mean they make the stallions so scarce and it's good to see the princesses aren't always brave and than that sometimes they need to be saved.

Login or register to comment