• Published 30th Mar 2015
  • 3,899 Views, 673 Comments

Maybe I'm Dreaming - Night Flight



How do you feel when someone tell you you should get married with someone you don't know? Maybe you get angry but Rainbow dash acts different. By the way this is Rainbow dash. She loves to be different...

  • ...
24
 673
 3,899

CH 33- The Strange Feeling

Two weeks… two weeks had passed without him by my side. I didn’t even understood how did this much time passed. It was probably because that whole two weeks, I had prisoned myself in my room and only came out when I wanted to eat something. Other times, I only stayed in there doing exactly nothing except from thinking about him all the time.

I just couldn’t do anything without him. Since the time we were engaged, I’ve never been apart from him this long. Even when we argued, I still saw him from time to time. But now he was away and nothing felt the same. The entire world seemed so dark and hopeless and I could do nothing to change it. Well… I could call him but I didn’t have his new number therefore… no. I couldn’t do anything.

‘You’re just trying to hide the truth. You can easily go to Cloudy and ask his new number from her. You know she has it,’ said a voice in my head. That voice was right but… no.

It just felt really awkward to call him after what he called me before his departure. But on the other hand, I couldn’t stand the loneliness I was feeling. UGH! These thoughts made me wanna bump my head on a hard wall and they kept coming every single day.

“Rainbow, guess who’s here?” called my mom.

“Speedy,” I answered nonchalantly.

“How did you know?” asked my mom. I huffed and said nothing. How couldn’t I know it was her when she came there almost every day? “However, she’s not alone. Cloudy’s here too.”

Great! Now the trouble is doubled. From one side, Speedy’s trying to cheer me up and from the other side, Cloudy’s trying to make me forget about Soarin. I just hoped Gummy would be here too. I can pretend that I’m playing with her so my two sister-in-laws would leave me alone… hopefully.

“Aren’t you glad about it?” shouted my mom again. “Now get down here. Your father and I wanna see you too you know.”

I sighed sadly and didn’t reply at all. I knew that my mom and dad are trying their best to get me out of my room but I just couldn’t do it. They wanted me to be happy but how could I be happy without Soarin by my side? I did promised him not to cry but there was no way I could be happy. Most of the ponies around me said that it was love, even my mom. Every time she saw my wrecked face, she shook her head with regret and whispered something like, ‘this girl fall in love too’ or something along these lines. But I personally didn’t think that it was love.

“Heyyyyy! How’s my happy future sister-in-law doing?” Cloudy’s cheerful voice made me snap back to reality and turn to the source of voice.

“Are you teasing me?” I asked with a frown.

“Hmm… let me think… maaaaaybe,” said Cloudy as she pretend like she was thinking. Then she chuckled and said, “C’mon girl. He will come back anyway. Why so blue?”

I sighed and glanced at her. “Haven’t you miss him?”

“I sure did. A lot in fact,” she replied. “Buuut, I’m not so in love like somepony that miss him this much.”

“I’m not in love.”

“Don’t try to deny it. Eventually, you have to admit it to yourself so you’d better accept it and live with it.”

“I can’t live with a lie. I’m telling you ponies, I’m not in love.”

“Instead of getting angry, try to be true to yourself,” said Cloudy with a sigh. “I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking that I don’t understand, don’t you?”

I shook my head positively and wondered how did she read my mind? “Yeah, I was exactly thinking about it.”

“Well, I do understand. Believe it or not but I had gone through all of the things you’re experiencing, even worse than what you’re already in. Now, don’t get angry but imagine that you’re in love with Soarin but your mom and dad don’t let you marry him just because his parents are their old enemy. Don’t you think that it’s ridiculous?”

I closed my eyes and tried to imagine it. I frowned quickly and looked at Cloudy angrily. “Of course it’s ridiculous. They can’t decide for my future. I love him and nothing can stop me from being with him!”

“Really?”

“What really?”

“You really love him?”

“CLOUDY!” I said with narrowed eyes. “First, it’s not the time for that and second, weren’t you the one who said imagine it?”

“Fine, whatever,” she said with a roll of eyes. “As I was saying, it was what happened to me long ago. If you imagine the situation again you can see how I was feeling. From one side, I wasn’t sure of my feelings for him and from the other side, my parents were forcing me to marry a pony I didn’t know. My heart was telling not to listen to my parents for once but my mind… it was telling me be wise and be a good filly just like other times.

“The difference between my heart and my mind made me wonder about my life. About the things I always shrugged off and didn’t think about and it led to many sad, sleepless nights but at the end, I learned two very important things. First, I finally found out the strange feeling inside of me and it was none other than love. And second, was the most important life lesson I could learn in all of the years I lived.

“I learned that love doesn’t work with mind. It just can’t work with mind. Of course your heart and mind shouldn’t work together when you wanna decide the important things in your life but it doesn’t work with love or at least not when you wanna know if you’re in love or not. What I’m trying to say is that let your heart make your mind sure that you’re in love then decide what to do with both heart and mind.”

Her short speech made me thinking very hard. Through the time I got engaged to Soarin, I’d heard a lot of advices from different kinds of ponies. My friends, Speedy, Spitfire and etc. But among all of them Cloudy’s seemed better than others. Well, not exactly better but it contained other ponies’ advices and some more. And of course it did. By the way, Cloudy’s love life was more similar to mine than others’.

“I know you’ll accept my advice. It was my own experience but I think it’ll work for you too,” said Cloudy as she put her hoof on my shoulder.

Right at the moment a childish giggle was heard from outside of my room and a little filly ran inside as she screamed, “MOMMY!” She jumped into her mother’s open arms and hugged her tightly.

“Gummy, don’t bother your mother,” said another voice that belonged to a stallion. Few seconds after the voice, its owner who was none other than Cloudy’s husband, entered the room. She smiled at me and greeted me. I returned his smile by a much weaker one. After this, he picked up Gummy and continued what he was saying earlier. “She’s tired after all of the things she did today.”

Cloudy looked at her husband with love-filled eyes and replied, “If you mean cleaning the house, then you must be much more tired than what I am.”

He returned her smiled lovingly and wrapped his arm around her. She sighed and put her head on his shoulder. Gummy who was still on her father’s arms, snuggled closer to her mother and therefore, the three ponies made a beautiful scene of a family hug.

I couldn’t help but smile at them. What would happen if Soarin and I were instead of them? Happily together and maybe with a little filly of our own… maybe. The smile on my face slowly faded and I sighed sadly as a sorrowful look placed on my face.

After few seconds, Cloudy noticed my face and said, “Oh… Rainbow we didn’t want to-”

“No Cloudy, it’s okay it’s just that…” I said as I trailed off at the end.

“… You wished he was here.” Cloudy completed the sentence with what she thought or maybe what she read from my face.

“That’s what I wish every day,” I mumbled.

Cloudy sighed. “Rainbow, you accepted what I told you then why don’t you wanna accept this one? I’m telling you, all you have to do is accept the fact that you’re in-”

“No Cloudy, I’m not. I’m not in love. It’s just a feeling that anypony get when a friend is away from her/him. That’s all. I feel the same thing when my other friends are away for a job too,” I said. Then I started walking to the door.

“Where are you going now?” asked Cloudy.

“Somewhere I can be alone with myself,” I said. Then when I made sure Cloudy wasn’t listening, completed my sentence, “…and Soarin.”

“I don’t know what else to say…” said Cloudy with a sad sigh.

“Thanks for the advices anyway. I’ll go from the house’s back door. If my mom asked where did I go, tell her that I’m safe and won’t come back home soon,” I said as I made my way out of the room left that small family behind.

“Rainbow, wait… at least tell me, where are you going?” called Cloudy.

It was very late because I was already flying toward my destination. All I could do was shouting, “Somewhere that I can be alone.” And with this, I gained speed and flew toward the only place I could be alone; the bay.


(This is the background song for this part. Keep listening to it till the end of the part. I'll tell you where to stop.)

I slowly descended toward the door of cloud house and sighed as I saw the familiar house. It looked more beautiful than any time before but at the same time, it made me sad when I even looked at it.

Finally, after thinking for few seconds, I pushed the door open and went inside. As I did I saw him. He… he…he was there! But there was something strange about him. He looked… complicated. He was pacing back and forth through the main hall. Somehow like that night he slept beside me for the first time.

“Soarin…” I called with a low tone but loud enough for him to hear me. And it was right at the moment I found out what I big mistake I had made for his figure slowly started to fade after my call. Then the reality hit me harder than a big rock.

What I saw was just a dream…

I quickly bite my lip to stop the tears that were welling up in my eyes. Finally with a sigh, I started walking a little more. Enough to find myself right in front of the room Soarin and I slept when we were together there.

Once again, I saw Soarin there. This time, he wasn’t alone. There was a mare sleeping on the bed and he was looking at her with a smile. And that mare was smiling in her sleep because of the warmness she’d received. How did I know? Well, I could never forget how Soarin treated me kindly that night.

However, this I know that the scene in front of me was none other than a dream. With another gloomy sigh, I started walking forward again. This time, the scene in front of me, nearly made me froze. I could see myself in the kitchen walking nervously and looking for the things I needed to help Soarin. The picture started to fade slowly as I turned my gaze to another door that was next to me.

That door…

The same door Soarin had gone through the first night he had slept with me. And the same door he went through the night he wanted to leave. I could hear his voice telling me that I shouldn’t enter there until he came back and show it to me himself. He had told me that there are some things there that he needs to explain. Somethings about him.

Although I knew that I shouldn’t enter there but a strong feeling was making me do it. All I knew was that before even I could stop myself, the door was opened by me and I was inside.

Not even the most amazing show in Equestria could make me froze in the place like the scene before my eyes.

A lot of different photos and arts were covering the walls and there was nothing else in the room. But what made me froze in my place was the fact that there was something common in all of those pictures. In every single one of those pictures, two ponies were the subject of photo and it was none other than Soarin and I.

I felt the energy in my legs suddenly gone away and I collapsed to the floor. I looked at the pictures again. They started from the night Soarin asked me for marriage and they continued until the day Soarin and I went back from the restaurant. The last day of his stay. There were some events that drawn and some others were actual photos but one thing was for certain, everything that had happened was there and in the right order.

And at the middle of all of them, was the most beautiful art I’ve seen. The one who’d drawn it must have really have a good talent AND know me very well because it was picture of me smiling. The way it was drawn, the colors and everything in it made me feel like… the art was alive. It kinda made me feel special about myself just because it was showing me in a special way.

I walked closer to it to see it better. The one who drew it had spent a lot of time on it. Just when I was about to look at the other arts, a small signature at the bottom of art drew my attention. There, at the bottom of art was a name. It was probably name of the painter so I leaned closer to see it. I just had to know who had done this amazing art.

Right at the left side of art and at the bottom the words ‘Soarin’ were written.

“What…” I mumbled with disbelief. That wonderful, well-drawn art belonged to Soarin? He had drawn this?

It was… indescribable. Both my feeling at the moment and the art.

Who would have thought Soarin would draw this? By the way, why was this room filled of my photos with Soarin? Wasn’t he in love with somepony else? Maybe, maybe he was keeping them there so he wouldn’t ever see them again. But then why did he enter the room when he was at the house?

I didn’t want to know the answer any of these questions. I didn’t even wanna know that his heart belonged to another mare. All I wanted to know was that he was with me until the end of world. I wanted him to be mine not another mare’s. And at the top of all, I wanted his heart to be mine not somepony else’s.

Yes, I, the great and unbreakable Rainbow Dash confessed that I would do anything to make a stallion mine. But not any stallion, the one that I loved so much…

Finally! Finally I confessed to myself that I was in love. And this time I wouldn’t deny it. And from that moment forth, I could easily say that I would give my everything for him. I would do any impossible thing just for him.

I tried to stand up and go out of the room. I needed something to make me calm and nothing was better than the soothing voice of waves crashing to the beach and the soft breeze passing through my mane. But once I stood up something else made me stop dead in my track. And it was none other another imaginary figure of Soarin. This time it was him smiling at me. His smile was very soothing but yet, it wasn’t very cheeky. Just the right smile to melt anypony’s heart.

I tried to shake my head several time to get the picture away but it just didn’t go away. Instead, with every shake of my head it seemed to get clearer and clearer. Suddenly, a thought crossed my mind as I saw the drawing instruments that were lying in the corner of the room. Maybe if I pictured him, his picture would exit my mind. So with a weak smile and a deep breath, I started to draw the most important thing in my life.
(The end of background song)


“Hello?” said Soarin. There he was and there I was. I had finally gotten Soarin’s new number from Cloudy and decided to tell him a little of my feelings. But only a little.

“H-hey,” I said with a tint of nervousness in my voice.

“Rainbow? Is that you?” said Soarin with disbelief and happiness.

His happiness also made me happy and I cracked a smile. But I didn’t have much time left. “Yeah, it’s me but I don’t have time for talking. All I want you to do now is to listen carefully to what you’re gonna hear.” Without speaking another word, I pushed the button and a music was played. A song that could exactly say my feeling. With another deep breath I also closed my eyes and listened to the song.

Author's Note:

For the first time in the story, the theme song. (Yes, it's the same song Rainbow played for Soarin.)

And there's an art drawn by my friend in the last chapter. Make sure to check it if you haven't already.:twilightsmile: