• Published 30th Mar 2015
  • 3,895 Views, 673 Comments

Maybe I'm Dreaming - Night Flight



How do you feel when someone tell you you should get married with someone you don't know? Maybe you get angry but Rainbow dash acts different. By the way this is Rainbow dash. She loves to be different...

  • ...
24
 673
 3,895

CH 31-The Bittersweet Last Day

“Ugh…Soarin…I…can’t…move…anymore,” I said between my panting. I really couldn’t. After eating a whole pizza and a whole pie, nopony would move easily. And I was no exception but Soarin did seem to be an exception cause he was trotting happily and he had eaten exactly what I ate.

‘Idiot he is a stallion. You’re a mare. Of course he wouldn't feel as full as you,’ said a voice in my head. But no matter a mare or a stallion. It’s almost impossible to move right after you finished such a heavy meal.

“Come on lazy filly, is that how you wanna become a Wonderbolt?” said Soarin happily.

“Where did you get that energy?” I said with disbelief.

“Then what was that pie and pizza we ate for?” said Soarin with a grin.

I stopped walking and pouted at Soarin. “But I can’t fly or walk anymore.”

“Come on. We’re only a little away from home. You’ll be there before you blink,” he said to me but all he received in return was a very cute pout from me. “Looks like somepony needs a hug,” said Soarin with a smirk.

"Wait, wha..." Suddenly, he jumped forward and grabbed me. At less than three seconds, we were flying straight to home while I was at Soarin's arms. I couldn’t do or say anything but gasp. I readied myself for a fall cause I was pretty sure that with a broken wing like Soarin's, we would fall sooner or later.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this moment never came and to my disbelief, when I opened my eyes, I saw Soarin placing me at doorway with a smile. "How... did you fly all that way? Didn't your wings hurt?"

"Um... no. Actually, I gotta thank the potion Twilight gave me when you and your friend, Rarity were planning on the wedding dress. She said that she found a potion that could heal my wings within an hour," explained Soarin.

"So... does this mean that you can fly freely now?" I asked with disbelief.

"Yep," said Soarin as he nodded happily.

"Oh... good," I said with an awkward chuckle. I didn't know why, but I kinda didn't like to see Soarin's wings getting better so soon. Probably because I thought that this means that he would leave me sooner.

"I... thought you'd be happy to know that you don't have to take care of me anymore," said Soarin.

"What? Nonono! It would be a pleasure for me to take care of you," I said. Wait, WHAT? "I... I mean that I have to cause by the way, we're gonna live together you know," I corrected myself quickly.

A small frown appeared on Soarin's face but it was quickly vanished and he sighed sadly. "Yeah, I guess you're right," was all he said to me. It looked like he didn't like what I said.

'Of course he didn't, you idiot. With saying that, you showed him that your affection was completely fake,' said the voice of my mind. And that voice was completely right.

'Rainbow, you know that all you did for him was just because of your affection to him,' continued voice of my heart.

"Um... Soarin, I've gotta confess something," I said with a shaky voice. Soarin turned to me quickly and looked at me. A look that was saying, 'what?'. "What I did back when you were unconscious was just because that... that..." No. I couldn't. It was hard. Really hard. So hard that even I, the great Rainbow Dash couldn't do it...

Wait a second... there was nothing, exactly nothing that I couldn't do. Nothing. In clouding this.

I sighed and continued, "I did that because you were so important to me that I couldn't see you in a condition like that," I said as I felt tears welling up in my eyes. Don't cry. No, strong, awesome mares don't cry. "I was so scared of losing you that I didn't think of anything else. If anything happened to you I would have never stop blaming myself for it. Cause if I didn't act like an idiot, egotistical mare when you tried to explain, nothing would have happened to you," I said with a very shaky voice. I was trying my hardest to don't cry but after struggling so much, a tear drop finally fell from my eyes.

Soarin, however, was watching and listening to me all the time and when he saw that tear drop falling from my eyes, he didn't stop himself anymore and quickly wrapped his arms around me. There, at his warm and comforting embrace, I couldn't help but feel happier more than ever before. It was as if there wasn’t ever any tears in my eyes. Suddenly, all of them washed away and all that was left was happiness that filled me.

“Let’s go inside,” I said with my head on his chest.

Soarin smiled at me and pulled away from me. He put his wing around my back and answered, “Yeah, let’s go in.”

We both stepped inside still next to each other and with Soarin’s wings wrapped around me. A big smile was plastered on our face and I was sure that just as I, Soarin’s heart was filled with happiness and peace.

But that happiness and peace didn’t last too long as phone rang. “Phone’s ringing. Will you answer?” I asked Soarin. Had I known what a pain it would bring with it I would’ve never EVER said that.

“Yep sure,” said Soarin with a smile. He picked it up and answered, “Hello?... oh hey!... Yeah sure… okay go ahead… oh… I-I guess. Can’t you change it?... fine, I’ll see what can I do… fine, fine, I’m still in. Thanks for telling me anyway… bye, see you.”

“Who was it?” I asked as Soarin put the phone back at its place.

A small frown was on Soarin’s face and his reflected something like… sadness. “Spitfire,” he answered.

“What did she say?”

“She said… nothing.”

“And was that ‘nothing’ that took you three minutes?”

He sighed and stared at me. “I’m sorry that I gotta tell this to you but you asked for it,” he began. “She told me about the tour. She said that since my wings are okay again, we’ll depart sooner.”

“Sooner? How much sooner? An hour? A day?” I asked while hoping that it wouldn’t be more than these.

“Tomorrow actually,” he replied with a sigh.

“What?” I whispered.

“I’m sorry,” he said with a sad expression. Suddenly he lifted his head up again and stared at me with a flicker of hope in his eyes. “But… I wouldn’t go if you don’t want me to. Do you let me go?”

‘No,’ I said at my mind but only at there. I couldn’t say that out loud. He needed to go. It wasn’t something that I could decide for. As much as I loved him to be around, it wasn’t possible. And that filled my heart with a very big sadness. “Yes,” I whispered with a smile to him. I really tried to make my smile a friendly one but to myself it more looked like a sad smile that showed my real answer.

Soarin stared at my eyes for a few more seconds, then he smiled back answered, “Well… thanks. I guess?”

“You’ll need help packing things don’t you?” I asked as I tried to change the subject. “I’ll help you in it.”

“Thanks,” he replied with a happier smile to me. A little happier than last one at least. “My stuff are there.” He walked and led me to the room I… WE slept in. Then he opened the closet and showed me the things he wanted.

I sighed and tried to cheer up or at least look happy. I couldn’t be selfish. It was his job and I knew better than anypony else that he needed to go to this tour to complete his practice for this year. I couldn’t stop him from going there. That meant stopping him from doing all of the things he practiced through a year. All of the stunts under the hot sunlight and cold snow and any other bad condition.

So instead of wishing that he would stay, I had to show that I’m happy and satisfied with this trip. It was only in that way that Soarin wouldn’t feel bad about this. I knew that it was going to be hard. Really tough. And once again, it was time to bring out my tough spirit and use it. All I could hope for was that this separation don’t turn out to be really hard. So hard that it would break my tough spirit.


“Well, we’re finally done,” said Soarin as he closed his saddle bag and placed it somewhere near the entrance of the room.

“Yeah, finally,” I answered tiredly. We’d been working since afternoon and for almost two hours. It was sunset time already!

“Wow!” said Soarin suddenly. “The sunset’s wonderful. I’m gonna go and watch it. Wanna come?”

“Yeah, sure.” We walked through the doors and flew down to the bay to see the sunset. It wasn’t going to be a big deal anyway. All of the sunsets were mostly the same. Sky turns orange, then purple and then it ends. It would be no difference there too. But I couldn’t ever be more wrong than that.

The scene before my eyes was something completely beyond words. It was incredible. Magnificent. Extraordinary. Just… wonderful. You needed all of the good adjectives in the world to describe it.

Sun was right above the horizon, where sky and water of the bay united. With every passing second, sun was getting closer to the line. Sky was filled of colors. Orange, red, yellow…it was a rainbow itself! And reflect of it in the water made it 20%... no, 100% cooler and more beautiful. Soarin was right when he said that it’s beautiful.

“Wow…” I whispered with shock.

“Yeah, wow would be good to describe it but don’t. If try to describe it, you’ll go crazy. You can’t find anything that fits this,” answered with a smile. His eyes were glued to the scene and couldn’t look anywhere else.

“There can’t be anything of any kind more beautiful than this,” I said happily.

“But you’re wrong. There IS something, or rather, somepony that is more beautiful than this,” replied Soarin with a sweet smile.

“Really? Who?” I asked as I looked at him. He finally let his eyes lay on something other than the sunset scene and turned to me. A special kind of smile formed on his lips. He said nothing. He just kept staring at me with that smile. His eyes were shouting an emotion. A strange one. I wasn’t sure but I knew something for certain. That feeling in his eyes was as the same as the one that was laying underneath his smile.

Finally he sighed happily and took his eyes away from me. “You’ll find out one day,” he said with a smile. “For now, let’s just go and sit. You don’t wanna miss this scene do you?”

“Sure not,” I said and walked up to the place he pointed, right beside him, on the sands.

A small, tired smile formed on my face as I watched the sunset along with my fiancé. Ah! I had a real rough day. All of those together caused me to get really exhausted. That was why suddenly a yawn escaped my mouth.

True, the sunset was beautiful but I just couldn’t stay awake another minute. Also, if I wanted to watch it till the sun completely fades on the horizon, I would need to wait a good ten minutes or see which was impossible for me. All I needed at that moment was a good pillow and nothing else.

Another yawn escaped my mouth and made opening my eyes harder than a minute ago. I really needed something to sleep on. I turned my lazy, tired eyes to see if there was any stone or something like that when they caught something much better than that.

Ponies always say that sleeping at two places give you a wonderful feeling. First at your parents embrace and second at shoulder of your love. I didn’t care if Soarin wasn’t my love or how cheesy it might have sounded, all I needed was a shoulder to sleep on. That was why with another yawn and a sigh afterwards, I slowly rested my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes that were burning from lack of sleep.

Before my complete black out, I just felt Soarin’s head shifting toward me. Then few seconds later I felt a pair of warm hooves wrapped around me and I smiled as I let my dreams take over the real world…

Author's Note:

Hey! I'm back again :twilightsmile:
Here's the new chapter. I'd promised one of my good friends that I would update two chapters at once but I just couldn't wait till the end of the other one. So here is it.
Sorry if you got sleepy when I was describing how tired Rainbow was. It was probably because I'm pretty sleepy myself. It's almost 2:00 A.M. at my country and I'm dying of sleep.
And about this:

Ponies always say that sleeping at two places give you a wonderful feeling. First at your parents embrace and second at shoulder of your love.

I don't know if you heard it or not but it's actually a joke like this:
Sleeping at three places is wonderful:
1- Your mother's embrace
2- Shoulder of your love
3- Sleeping at class :rainbowlaugh:
Bye bye for now.
I'll answer comments tomorrow.
Good night :twilightsmile: