• Published 3rd Apr 2015
  • 2,317 Views, 37 Comments

Sunny Flare: Master Shipper - Tennis Match Fan



Pinkie Pie attempts to cheer Sunny Flare up by imagining the lives of strangers.

  • ...
2
 37
 2,317

Rewrite

"What a finish!" Dean Cadence shouted as Pinkie Pie crossed the finish line of the race course.

"Wheee!" Pinkie giggled. She had just won the speed-skating portion of the Tricross Relay for Canterlot High.

"Marvelous work, darling!" Rarity skated next to her, adjusting the teal ascot around her neck. "Here, let's go untie our skates so we can cheer on Sunset and Rainbow Dash, shall we?"

"Okie dokie" was on the tip of Pinkie's tongue, but in the corner of her eye she spotted Sunny Flare, angrily untying her skates alone. There was no telling where Lemon Zest was, and Pinkie felt a sudden twinge of pity for the rival skater.

"You know what, Rarity? I'm going to cheer Sunny Flare up," Pinkie declared, pointing over to Sunny.

"Her?" Rarity asked in disdain. "She's a Shadowbolt, Pinkie. They're some of the nastiest, most self-centered people in existence. They're like machines; they don't need to be cheered up."

"That's where you're wrong!" Pinkie gave Rarity's shoulder a quick squeeze. "I'll be back in a jiffy, Rares!"

"If you're sure, Pinkie..." Rarity cast a doubtful look in Sunny Flare's direction and then skated away to a nearby bench.

Pinkie rolled over and plopped down next to Sunny Flare. "Hiya, Sunny!"

Sunny made a face and scooted away from Pinkie. "Can't you see I'm sitting here?"

"Well duh!" Pinkie giggled. "Why else would I be sitting next to you?"

"What do you want?" Sunny mumbled.

"Are you upset about losing?" Pinkie asked.

"I don't need your pity," Sunny sneered. She unbuckled her helmet, revealing her short lilac bob. "It's only act two; Crystal Prep will still bring home the win."

"Act two?" Pinkie blinked. Where had she heard that phrase before. "Oh, you mean like in a play? Do you write? Are you like a theater junkie?"

Sunny Flare rolled her eyes. "It's a hobby; I'm too busy with schoolwork to do anything with it."

"Wanna play a game?" Pinkie asked. Sunny didn't answer, so Pinkie elaborated: "My sister Marble took a writing class a few years ago, and I came with her, and we learned this thing where you pick a stranger and come up with their backstory, like their personality and job and stuff! Since you like writing, I thought we could play it!"

Sunny chewed her lip. "Listen, Pinkie Pie, I shouldn't even be talking to you; Principal Cinch would have my skin if she knew. Since my partner seems to have disappeared, I'll play your game."

"Great!" Pinkie immediately began scanning the bleachers. "I'll go first. Pick a person and I'll make up a story about them!"

Sunny sighed. "That girl in the top right corner; with pink skin and glasses." -Sunny pointed to the girl in question- "She's in my AP history class, but I don't know her name. Tell me about her."

"Well she's obviously a princess!" Pinkie replied. "But she doesn't know it yet, she's still in her awkward years. She has a crush on the guy two rows below her, the one with the green hair. He likes her back but won't say anything. They'll get together once she discovers she's a princess. And her name? Mia Thermos-bottle."

"I think you just plagiarized a movie." Sunny's mouth twitched.

"So what if I did?" Pinkie waved a hand. "I'm not gonna go to jail! Now my turn to pick someone for you. The rocker chick with the purple hair, blue skin, and that cute scarf. I know her name but I won't tell you!" Pinkie stuck her tongue out jovially.

Sunny snorted. "This girl, let's call her Mystery since I don't know her name, is dating the Mohawk guy next to her. They just got in an argument because... Mystery wants to transfer to Crystal Prep? Let's face it," she added with a sly smile, "who wouldn't? Anyways, they're on the verge of a breakup. Mohawk will eventually dump her, but Mystery won't care because she's getting a superior education." Sunny smiled with satisfaction as she concluded her story.

"Oh, the drama!" Pinkie waved her hands around like a damsel in distress. "Who's Romeo and who is Juliet?"

"Romeo is the guy with the red hair from Canterlot High," Sunny answered immediately. "Juliet is the girl with white skin and lavender hair; I think her name is Fleur but I'm not entirely sure."

"Who's Mercutio?"

"You know Flankspeare?"

"Duh, his stories are so dramatic!"

"Oh. Then Mercutio is the guy in the white t-shirt." Sunny folded her arms. "Votre tour."

"Those two girls dancing are getting married next week." Pinkie pointed to the two girls in question. "The guy next to them with the nice fedora is a punk singer who just got dumped. He's trying not to show it."

"You know, he looks like someone Twilight Sparkle would date," Sunny remarked. "Just as lame as she is."

"Hey, Twilight isn't lame!" Pinkie protested. "Twilight is super-duper fun and nice!"

"No one at Crystal Prep is fun or nice," Sunny retorted. "Except possibly Lemon Zest, but that's besides the point."

"We've been having fun, Flare-y! Don't ruin the mode!" Pinkie took off her helmet.

"You were having fun, I was just passing time." Sunny stood up. "It's time to part ways, Pinkie Pie. I'll see you in the final round."

"Wait!" Pinkie gasped. "I have one last person I need to make a story about!"

"Who?" Sunny turned back, a flicker of curiosity rekindled in her raspberry eyes.

Pinkie stared at Sunny. "The girl in front of me is in love with her best friend. She's trying desperately to please her mentor, but nothing is ever good enough." With each word, Pinkie's tone became more serious. Her hair became flatter. "She pushes everyone away because she was abandoned when she was little. But if this girl just opened up like a cloud letting in sunlight, she'd realize that all her friends care about her. She'd get the girl, and she'd live happily ever after."

For a moment, neither Sunny nor Pinkie spoke. Finally, Sunny shook her head slightly. "So close and yet so far, Pinkie Pie." Skates in hand, Sunny walked away.

"Wowza." Pinkie sat there for a moment.

The she heard the tell-tale sounds of a magical vine monster threatening to eat the motorcross track.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this new version. I've been working on an extended project for the past 2 years but it feels great to publish something. :pinkiesmile: