• Published 29th Mar 2015
  • 1,735 Views, 229 Comments

Fuzzy Fluffy Fables - Fuzzyfurvert



A collection of my writings that are too short to post alone or have been posted elsewhere.

  • ...
8
 229
 1,735

PreviousChapters Next
2. "Letters to Luna" collab entry

Author's Note:

Written for this collab.

This is a series of journal entries by Celestia, written as if they were addressed to Luna just after her banishment. Interesting Trivia: This is based off an old prompt I wrote of the Twilestia collab, and it acts as the inspirational basis for the AU My Little Dynamite exists in.

Dearest Luna,

It has been four days since our quarrel.

I thought you should know I have done the calculations, and if my math is correct, the spell I used to end our disagreement will end in roughly a thousand years.

I’ll see you in 364,496 days.

With apologies,
Tia




Dearest Luna,

The builders and repair ponies have put up a temporary roof over the hole you made in the throne room and I am once again holding court. Many ponies have expressed concern of the redistribution of political powers, primarily my absorption of your former duties. I have eased these concerns by conducting a search for a new princess to eventually take your place.

Hopefully, it will not take long.

I will see you again in 364,492 days.

With apologies,
Tia





Dearest Luna,

I have had time to reconsider my actions during our quarrel and I admit now that they were not the best I have ever undertaken. I hope, one day that we can reach an understanding with each other again. I miss you in my dreams, Luna.

In other news, I think I finally have gotten the swing of moving the moon. The lighter weight kept throwing me off. I’m sorry for the bumpy ride.

I will see you in 364,468 days.

With apologies,
Tia





Dearest Luna,

Today I have had two rather novel experiences. First, after I raised the sun and gazed out over Everfree City, I noticed a pulsing light coming from the central park. It may just be one of the citizens performing spellcraft. I have dispatched my eunuchs to investigate it as I felt some kind of base malese, but it is probably unimportant.

Secondly, it was brought to my attention before opening court that the continued effort to repair the damage to the castle will take another year and at least three more crews of slaves to complete. The nobles complained, as is their lot. So I had the construction halted and the temporary roofing torn down.

As providence would have it, it rained shortly thereafter.

I will see you again in 364,467 days.

I miss you,
Tia




Dearest Luna,

I write you from the breakfast nook. I finally replaced all the dishes you broke and have packed away your things. Seeing it everyday has been troubling and I need to keep my mind clear. I don’t want to seem alarmist, but I feel eyes upon me at all times. I’m not sure who I can place my full trust in.

I will find out who haunts me and put it to rest. No pony, drake or dog will scare the Sun Queen in her own castle.

These times are trying but I will remain strong. For you, if not myself.

I will see you in 364,445 days.

Your sister,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

My eunuchs have returned after searching high and low for that princess I was telling the nobles I would replace you with. They brought with them several candidates, but none of them are even remotely like you. I will not share my throne with them. However, they may yet serve a purpose.

Obviously, I don’t plan to tell the nobles this. It serves me well if they simply assume that the mares are “in training” for the duration.

Speaking of the nobles, something odd happened just this past week. One of the noble houses stepped forward to see to the repairs of the castle. They are putting up quite a bit of gold and labor for no more reason than to “restore the symbol of the Everfree peoples”. I am...confused by this. It is a feeling I have had much more often since the feeling of being watched began. I am still no closer to finding the culprit than I was before but I shall remain vigilant.

I miss you.

I will see you in 364,402 days

Love,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

The construction goes well! If the weather holds, it should be completed in six months, just in time to celebrate your birthday! I would send you a gift, but I’m afraid the fudge would go bad long before your release.

Luna, I want to tell you how happy I have become recently. I’m not sure why, if I am honest, but I feel at peace. The city is happy along with me. Everyone smiles and I have heard children singing in the gardens! I feared the Everfree was in for a long period of unrest, and yet, it seems I was wrong!

I have never been so happy to be wrong!

I will see you in 364,388 days.

Love,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

Have you ever been scared of happiness? Have you ever seen a smile, know it’s genuine and still mistrust it? That has become my every day recently. Something lurks behind the eyes of the people of Everfree and I am the only one that notices. Everyone is polite and kind and giving.

It makes me sick at my very core to know it is real and false at once.

I heard children singing in the garden again but when I looked I found no children. My eunuchs have even started to smile. It is unsettling. The feeling of being watched has returned and is stronger than ever. The roof repairs near completion and it feels like a cage is being closed around me.

I can trust nopony but you, Luna. Come back to me soon.

I will see you in 364,376 days.

Please,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

I opened the chest of the Harmonic Gems. They lay there as inert stone, just as they have since our quarrel. I think the magic of the Tree still flows within them, but I cannot touch it. I am not in harmony. None in the Everfree are. No armies threaten us, no disease or famine stresses us, the nobles and I smile and speak politely with each other. We are the strongest nation on this world below you and yet I feel we are soon to fall.

Will I go with it? Am I as much the Everfree as I am the Queen and the Sun?

I don’t know and I fear the unknown more than anything else these days. I believe that something hunts us, hunted us and caught us, we just don’t know it yet.

I’m going to hide the Harmonic Gems. Then I am going to find the eyes that watch in the darkness and I am going to set this world right with my might.

I will see you in 364,343 days.

Pray for me,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

My search has been in vain, so far. I have not exercised the ghosts that haunt me in the night nor warded away the shadows that chase me in the light of my day. I have lost a few of my still trusted eunuchs to the ravages of time and too much peace. The people cheer and parade and I sit above them and smile. They do not know the black tide I feel is encircling us for the final kill.

Something stirs in the darkness, Luna, and how I wish it was you my sister! I can hear it all the time now, like a cicada hum, underneath the sounds of a city gone mad.

I am not too far gone to wonder if it is I who have gone mad. Would I be able to tell? When the madness took you, did you know yourself to be insane? Were you trapped inside yourself and unable to stop? Did you plead with yourself as I plead with myself now in the privacy of my own mind?

I long for your wise counsel, Luna.

I will see you in 364,338 days.

Pray for me,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

I am not crazy. I am sane and in control. Yesterday, I was having tea in the gardens alone, as has become my custom since your banishment. Again, I heard the phantom children singing. I did not look for them, as that has never yielded results. I ignored the rustling in the rose bushes that pretended to be birds. I ignored the shadows and flickers of movement that dance just beyond the edge of my vision.

I am in control when I ignore it. I will not give it the satisfaction of jumping like a foal when it makes a noise. I will not be lead into the trap of seeming unhinged in front of my subjects. I will not be the one to point and scream when the dead walk the halls with the living.

The eunuchs have returned, but they are not longer mine. They bow and chant and do my will, but they are not mine. They think they have me fooled but it is I who lay the traps now. It is I who directs the pieces on the gameboard.

I have eternity to put the pieces in place. I merely need the patience to outlast my opponent.

I will see you in 364,302 days.

Unconquered,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

Your prison is lovely. I’m watching it cross the night sky you loved so as I write this. I’m afraid that I am just not as skilled as you were with the stars and nebula and little details that made the night such a wonder to behold. I hope, when we see each other again, that you can forgive me my crimes against natural beauty.

But I do not write you tonight to wax poetically about the sky. I have news.

The repairs to the castle have been completed ahead of schedule and not a single slave has died since the construction began anew several months ago. There was quite the celebration thrown in court today because of it. I felt genuinely happy for the first time since our quarrel.

It seems that the jovial feelings of the gathered ponies, drakes and dogs had an effect on my invisible enemy too. One of the undead spoke to me. For just a moment, it forgot its place and in that moment I spoke to it and it knew that I knew. It knew then that I am not inept or impotent, that I am not unwitting prey. I watched the realization crawl across its face. I drank in the surprise in its eyes and then wallowed like a sow in mud in its fear.

It felt so good to be feared again.

It’s late and I will not keep you any longer, Lulu. Rest well, for I know I will tonight.

I will see you in 364,291 days.

Love,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

I am pressing my advantage. I have become the hunter once more! It feels like the good old days when we were young and nothing dared stand before us! I have have left the castle grounds more and more frequently. I no longer can rely on my traditional means of gathering information and must take things into my own hooves.

If I had known shedding one’s own hubris was this much fun I would’ve done so long ago!

Whenever I take flight now to survey the Everfree and my peoples, the nobles grumble and grouse, but the people...Luna, I had forgotten how liberating it is to be among them! They bow far too much and pray far too loudly, but what am I to do? It takes them forever to speak to me, but I feel it is worth it. As their Goddess, I owe it to them to tackle this threat head on.

The people of Everfree are not as blind as I feared, thankfully. There is an undercurrent of discontent and suspicion, particularly amongst the lowliest. People go missing each day only to return changed into the undead. I have no solid leads yet, but I have set traps to catch them. I time my movements to confuse them. I trust no one with my plans, except you.

I will win this battle as I have won all the others!

I will see you in 364,288 days.

Love,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

It seems I spoke too soon. My enemy...is not what I thought. After much planning and using many different pawns, I was finally able to get one of the ‘undead’ alone where it could not hide nor summon reinforcements and we would not be seen. It had the stones to raise its hoof against me in defense but I handled it without true effort.

While it answered none of my questions, I did learn quite a few things. For one, they are not undead. This creature in not a pony at all but is very much alive! They have been mimicking the appearance of the missing and dead when in truth they are some sort of insect. I have no idea how its magic works or even why they have invaded. I had imagined it was to dethrone or otherwise control me.

Now I am unsure. I need to reflect on this, sister.

I will see you again in 364,273 days.

Watch over me,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

I am...confused. Nothing is working out as I planned and yet nothing is wrong. All of the ‘mimickers’(fakers? changeling? I don’t know what to call them, honestly) I had identified have vanished overnight. There has been considerable unrest as they were filling many influential roles throughout the Everfree and we are suddenly unstable and left floundering. The parties have ended, there are less smiles and jokes but I feel the joy that remains is true.

I want to believe the threat is over, but experience tells me to be on my guard.

I have rallied most of the nobles behind me as well as risen a few of the lower houses to noble status in thanks for their unknowing aid in uncovering those changelings...yes, changelings, let’s go with that. I want to be ready when they return. But that means changing(HA!) the way we have done things. Hubris and habit has made us weak and Celestia the Undimmed, Goddess of the Sun, Queen of the Everfree is not weak.

I miss you more than you can comprehend, Luna. I hope you can see my dreams where we play and laugh and live together once more. I would give all of this up just to have you back with me in these dark times, sister.

I will see you again in 364,256 days.

Waiting,
Tia



Dearest Luna,

Happy birthday, my little Lulu! I hope you rest well with moon to carry you through the night, above the world. Above the clouds and the storms thunderous and political, above this land that is Everfree. It pleases me that I do not have bad news to write about this night.

Things have restabilized here and the people are healthy. It has been scant months since the mass disappearance of the changelings and no pony seems to have realized that they were ever here. Rumors run rampant of course, but none are remotely close to the truth. There is a shift happening, I think, in the city as more common born peoples rise in prominence thanks to a growing merchant class and the receding nobility. These are interesting times, Luna, and I wish you could see them.

When you return, will you let me know if you can see the fireworks from up above?

I will see you in 364,229 days.

I’m sorry,
Tia

PreviousChapters Next