• Published 3rd Sep 2015
  • 4,459 Views, 933 Comments

A Time of Reckoning: Seven Days in Sunny June, Book IV - Shinzakura



The climax of the Seven Days in Sunny June saga: Sunset Shimmer faces her biggest challenges, among them the return of HUMAN Sunset Shimmer! And yet things can - and WILL - get worse...

  • ...
27
 933
 4,459

August 3: Stripped

Gilda Griffin woke up, her head aching. This was the second day of detox that she was going through, and thankfully it was mild; she’d known plenty of people who were far worse off during her time at the Blanks – excuse me, “The Equestria County Alternative High School for At-Risk Students”, her mind snarkily commented; use of the school’s nickname, like anything else, was forbidden.

There was a knock on her bedroom door, and before she could call “Come in,” her father, Frequent Flyer, opened the door. Well, not her real father; that asshole was sitting in the pokey and deservedly fucking so; she was still lucky to be alive after the last beating he’d given her. Her mother, Love Intervention, had married Frequent in the years since and even Gilda had to admit he’d been more of a father to her than the sperm donor had ever been.

“Gilda?”

“Yeah?”

“Today’s the day,” Frequent told her. That was another thing she loved about him: that he tried to be a parent. By now, her biological father would have been busy trying to put her head through one of the walls that made up her room. “If you’re going to be allowed back into CHS, you have to do this today, because the school will have someone do a final interview before they transfer your records.”

“Would you be ashamed of me if I didn’t?” Gilda asked him.

“Honey, I’ll always love you,” he told her. “Blood or not, you’re my daughter, and I want what’s best for you. And part of this means to make up with and apologize to that girl you stabbed.”

“That girl you stabbed.” Sunset Shimmer. At first, Gilda hadn’t given the girl a single thought since she got expelled from CHS; it had been Sunset’s fault for being such a bitch. But it had been her time at The Blanks where she’d learned what being a true bitch was, and while Sunset had been an alpha bitch, she was far better a person than Gilda had ever been. Or Gilda’s former best friend, Lightning Dust, who hadn’t said a word at all to her since she’d been kicked out. Ironically, it had been Rainbow Dash, Gilda’s former friend and later nemesis, who had inquired how she’d been. Rainbow, whose ass she’d kicked and threatened to publicly humiliate. But it was Rainbow who had turned out to be a far better friend than Lightning had ever been.

“Dad…I just don’t know if I can do this,” she admitted. And that was true. For the first time in her life, Gilda Griffin was afraid. Funny, there was a serial killer out there killing girls her age, and the thing she feared most was the girl she had stabbed.

Frequent sat down next to her. “Gilda, this is your chance to make a new beginning and make new friends, to start over and improve everything that there is about you. I want you to grow up and be happy, not end up like your biological father, wasting away in prison somewhere.”

She looked up at him. “Okay, I’ll try.”

“Good. You get ready, and I’ll make breakfast. Do you know where you can find her?”

“No,” Gilda admitted, “but I know someone who does.”

The janitor at the After Midnight Club pushed the broom, moving away the nightly detritus of spilled cups, dirt, used-up lipstick, strewn drugs, occasional large amounts of currency and even the rare condom or two. He sighed. That’s why he hated cleaning up here in the private areas; the hedonistic assholes did whatever they wanted up here and watched the kids down there like they were just peons. A modern day Babylon, this place was, and he wasn’t being metaphorical about it, either. The shit that happened up here was likely going to get someone arrested or killed someday, mark his words.

A second later, as he came upon the brutalized and maimed body of Lemon Zest, his first realization was that it was horrifyingly true. His second was to turn, throw up, then run screaming.

“Thanks for having me over, Mr. Apple,” Sweetcream Scoops commented from her seat at the Apple family breakfast table. “With my parents out of town for the next few days, I definitely do not feel safe at home alone.”

“Eyup,” Appleseed said with a grin. “Now if’n Ah c’n git mah son t’ jest keep his hands where they belong….”

“Pa!” Big Mac gasped in shock, getting a laugh out of those assembled at the table.

“Son, ‘twasn’t that long ago when Ah wuz yer age an’ wuz thinkin’ th’ same thoughts,” the elder Apple told him. “‘Sides, Ah know soon ‘nough y’ two are headed fer th’ aisle.” This time, both teens blushed furiously, making Appleseed’s grin larger.

“Oh, leave the kids alone,” Cornflower admonished her husband as she walked on unsteady legs as she made her way to the kitchen table; behind her, Apple Bloom moved carefully in order to make sure her mother was supported.

Behind her, Granny Smith laughed. “Youngin’, yer ma’s made o’ tougher stuff than that. Let ‘er move at ‘er own pace, y’ get me?”

“Yeah, Ah savvy, Granny,” Bloom replied, moving away from her mother and plopping into a seat next to her brother.

“Well, we’re all here,” Granny said as she took a seat. Looking at Scoops, she winked an’ added, “Yer ‘bout t’ try some o’ mah World Famous apple fritters! Should make ya nice an’ plump fer the day y’ and mah grandson put a bun in th’ oven.” Scoops immediately started to turn almost as bright a shade of red as the apple-shaped salt and pepper shakers on the table.

“So, shall we eat, or embarrass the lovebirds further?” Cornflower asked, as she heard the sound of her older daughter’s voice ring from upstairs. And Applejack did not sound happy.

“Are you out of your mind, Rainbow? No way is Sunset gunna agree to that, and Ah sure as hell won’t either!” She stomped into the kitchen, plopping down at her seat. “Now Ah gotta go, Rainbow. Ah’ll call ya later…when your brain kicks back in!” Slipping her phone into her pocket, she said, “Sorry, y’all, but Rainbow’s got a stupid idea.” The family said a silent grace, then dug in.

“Oh, what’s that, dear?” Cornflower asked.

“Gilda s’posedly called her about ten minutes ago and said she wants t’ apologize to Sunny. Personally, Ah don’t think that’s a good idea. Might just be another excuse for Gilda to stab Sunny again, and Ah’d hate to see her family go through that once more.”

“I don’t see the problem with it,” Scoops said. “Ever since Lighting Dust was kicked off the track team, she’s said nothing about Gilda or any of her old friends. If anything, she’s staying clear, because her only chance left for Olympic glory is the track team at her community center, and they already laid the law down for her.”

“How’d you know about that, Scoops?” Bloom asked.

The recent graduate grinned. “I’m a journalist, Bloomie. Granted, I’m still not sure if I want to do it for a living or go into the family ice cream business, but at the very least it comes in handy. I had the network access of Sunny without all of the nasty stuff she used to do to get it.” She then looked at Applejack. “AJ, I really think you should give her a chance. I know if I were in her shoes, I’d want it. Besides, you gave Sunny a chance, so why not her?”

“Fine. At least Ah’m not th’ one who has to talk to her about it.”

“Hello?” Sunset voiced as she answered her cellphone.

“Ah, Sunset Shimmer?”

“Yeah, this is she,” the fiery-haired teen said, looking at the mid-morning sun. She had to work the late shift at the café today, as Mrs. Cake wanted her present to interview for a new waitress. While business had been down due to the immediacy of what the news was calling “the Dead Hand Killer”, life would still go on and eventually custom would recover. Sooner or later, someone from one of the high schools in the area would see the HELP WANTED sign and take the spot as the “new” Sonata.

Wish we had the old one back. Sunset recalled the look in Sonata’s eyes, an anguish that she’d never seen there before. A cry for help? Guilt over betraying them – well betrayal was probably too strong a word, but she’d clearly left Sugarcube Corner Café in a bind, regardless. Either way, it was blatantly obvious that something was not okay with her friend, but what did Sunset do? Nothing.

I feel like such an idiot for not prying further, Sunset groaned inwardly, and now it’s too late.

“Uh, Sunset, you there?” the voice on the other end asked.

“Oh, uh, sorry, kinda spaced out for a second. Anyway, this is Sunset. And this is?” she asked, feeling slightly guilty about not having checked the caller ID when she answered the phone.

“Oh, heya, this is Tennis Match.” Sunset did a doubletake on that. While at one point after her change of heart, Scotch Bonnet, Compass Rose and Tennis Match had held a grudge, later on she’d made up with Rose and was even indirectly responsible for Rose’s relationship with her girlfriend, Boysenberry. Of course, that had been due to the fact that Rose had a crush on the former unicorn herself, but Sunset had navigated those waters with the grace of a soft rock chanteuse, steering a happy couple together and making a friend in the process.

“Well, hi. Forgive me for asking, but why’d you call? I didn’t even think you had my phone number,” Sunset told her.

“Well, to be honest, I didn’t. But…I promised Rose that I would make up with you, because you’ve been responsible for a lot of the happiness in her life, lately. I didn’t think that she’d last with Berry, but they’re perfect for each other, and…well, I guess you’re not as bad as Scotch and I thought. So if you’re free this afternoon, I wanted to take you out to lunch to make up for everything I’ve done.”

“Thanks, but that’s really not necessary.”

“No, I think it is. The thing is, you changed…and I didn’t. Up until Rose told me how much you did for her and Berry, well, I thought you were a self-centered bitch. But she told me about how you helped Lyra and Bon-Bon and how Trixie vouches for you. I don’t know Minuette well, but she said that you helped her with something that she can never repay you for. Everyone I talked to has said that you went from being the girl the world feared to being the one that they trust most…but I never believed it. If nothing else, I owe you for being there for Rose in the way that Scotch and I should’ve.”

“I only did what was right,” Sunset insisted. She wasn’t looking for a reward and while she appreciated Tennis Match’s overture, Sunset felt a bit guilty about accepting. “In any case, I’ll have to take a pass, as I have to work today.”

“That’s okay, I’m free tomorrow. Besides, I think I can get Rose and Berry to join us.”

That clenched it; while she might be able to talk her way out of lunch with a former adversary, she couldn’t do that to two friends. “Well, if that’s the case, sure, I can do it. Let me know when and where, and I’m all set.”

“Sounds like a plan then. I’ll text you this afternoon and let you know, okay?”

“Works for me. See you later!” Grateful to hang up, Sunset clicked off the phone and set it down, plopping back down on the bed. She wanted to go back to sleep, but that wasn’t likely to happen, given the call.


There was a knock on the door and before Sunset could say anything, Octavia walked in, carrying her backpack. “Hey, what’s up?” Sunset asked as she looked at her cousin, who did not look very happy.

“That was close,” the raven-haired girl sighed, plopping on the couch. “Spike’s penchant for going through everyone’s stuff nearly got Twily’s gift exposed right when she was in my room!” Her fists clenched in anger. “So fucking pissed.”

“I’ll talk to him about it,” Sunset promised.

“I’ll just tell Aunt Velvet when she gets home,” Octavia replied. “In the meanwhile, do you mind if I wrap the gift in here? Twily’s downstairs vacuuming and that’ll keep her busy, but I also need a place to hide it.”

“Ask my parents; I’m sure they’ll be happy to put it in their closet for the meanwhile.”

“That’s a good idea,” Octavia commented as she pulled a book out of her backpack. It was encased in an acrylic box, and just by the look alone, was well over a hundred years old. “This is part of the gift,” the musician explained as she pulled out some gift wrapping and ribbon. “The other part of it will be here next week – solid redwood bookshelf, custom made just for her.”

“Wow, that’s nice,” Sunset replied. “What’s the book?”

“Went to Books & Sewing Machines and got this one; apparently the owner says that Twily’s wanted it for some time now.” Octavia passed the book over. “No idea why, but hey, not my book.”

Sunset looked at the tome within the plastic case: “A Treatise on Magick, by Midnight Black.” Sunset handed it back, and Octavia immediately started to wrap it. “Huh. But Twily doesn’t believe that magic exists, or else she’d be making best buddies with Trixie and Lyra.”

“Maybe she just wants to research the overall concept of it, to wonder where it split from science?” Octavia suggested. “Didn’t modern chemistry originate out of all the screw-ups in alchemy? Anyway, so…what’d you get her?”

“I…haven’t had much time to go shopping,” Sunset sheepishly admitted. “Between working and the ‘rentals insisting that I stay home because of the Dead Hand Killer, haven’t had time to hit the mall.”

“Well, Amazon does overnight shipping,” Octavia reminded her, “and they gift wrap, too. You’d better not forget her birthday, Sunny. This one’s going to be really special for her, and if you screw it up, well….”

“Fine, I get it, I get it. Well, I’ve got to go downstairs and get some breakfast; I have a long day today. Take whatever time you need; Spike knows he’s not allowed in here on pain of death or worse.”

“Thanks.”

Sunset finally went downstairs to see Twilight sunnily cleaning up. “Aren’t you being the domestic goddess?” the former teased the latter.

“Oh, quit it; at least I don’t sleep in ‘till all hours,” Twilight replied with a grin. “Finally getting up for breakfast?”

“You know I like to sleep in.”

“Sure I do: it’s how others can tell you’re adopted,” the plum-haired girl teased. “The rest of us are early risers, even Dad.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, tease the new girl,” Sunset said as she poked her head into the fridge. “Just be glad that I’m in a good mood this morning.”

“Whatever. So what are you plans today?”

Poking her head out with some eggs and bacon, she commented, “Well, first thing I need to do is head over to Olde Towne and pick up something for Rarity. Since we live closer, she asked if I would head over to Precious Memory’s and grab something that she needed.”

“Mind if I go with you? I wanted to do some shopping today, and Tavi said she wanted to get some musical practice in, so she’s staying home.”

Sunset grinned. “Sure, it’d be great to get a little sibling bonding time in, don’t you think?”

“Plus, we can leave Spike here to Tavi’s tender mercies. By the time we get home, he should be taped to the ceiling or something.”

Seated in their rental hotel in Sunnytown, Blackthorn sat and worked on gun maintenance. At the same time, he had a phone dialing a particular number. He’d called it before, but this time he wanted to make sure that he gave a second chance. Usually that wasn’t possible in his business, but the choice here was between losing more valuable troops and choosing someone who could get the job done.

Finally, the phone answered. “Hello?”

“Hey, Sunshine,” Blackthorn growled. “Ain’t got time for an old friend?”

“Really? Wasn’t aware that you qualified as an old friend,” Sable Loam said on the other side. “And the answer is still no.”

“Really? I think you might change your mind,” Blackthorn said, reaching over and opening a laptop. “Oh, and congratulations on the girl, by the way. Real looker, too. Did you know that she’s got this birthmark under her right breast that looks like a sun?”

The voice on the other end was murderously cold. “You did not—”

“Oh, and the carpet matches the curtains, too. Nice. Plus, she keeps in shape. That’s gotta be a bonus.”

“I swear, if you touch her, Blackthorn, I’m going to fucking ki—”

“Slot’s open, Sergeant. I’ll call you when I need you – and that’ll be pretty soon.” Unceremoniously, he hung up the phone. Heh, wonder how deep she goes for him. After this is done, I’ll need me a new girlfriend – maybe I can convince her to trade up.

Sable burst out of the house, EK knife in hand, and raced for the side of the building he and his girlfriend lived in. Looking to where the upstairs master bathroom was, sure enough, was a remote camera, painted almost the same shade as the next door house. Angry, he threw the knife and hit the camera, breaking it off and sending both to fall down into the neighboring house, which fortunately, was for sale and thus vacant. Withdrawing his sidearm, he picked the lock of the backdoor to the house and walked in, armed.

A quick sweep of the house showed that it was empty, and that people were just recently inside. Then the screech of tires was heard, and Sable raced out the front door to see a Jeep race down the road and flip the corner at high speeds. Holstering the gun, he walked back into the house, locking it from the inside, and went right out the back but not before he noticed something on the kitchen counter.

To his anger, it was a picture of Celestia, soaping herself off in the shower, and the timestamp on the printed paper showed that it was less than five minutes ago. Next to it was a note that said THIS ONE’S FOR YOU. WE KEPT THE HIGH-REZ ONES. SEE YOU LATER.

No, you fucking won’t. Sable crumped up the paper, shoved it in his pocket, then went back home, pausing only to grab the camera and knife. Setting all that down on the kitchen table, he then walked into the kitchen, fired up the stove, and placed the offending picture into the flames, setting it ablaze easily; he waited until it was half burnt, then placed the rest under the sink faucet, soaking it, then threw the rest in the garbage disposal, firing that up and letting the machine chew up the rest and flushed it down the sink drain. Finally he set the oven for self-cleaning mode, knowing the smell of that would mask the stench of burnt paper in the air, then sat down at the table to take apart the camera.


Ten minutes later, Celestia came down, toweling off her wet hair. She was dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans and she looked beautiful to him as always. But the anger in his mind stewed as he knew that lowlifes also had her pictures, and would no doubt make use of them in the sickest way possible…unless he played along.

“Well, that felt great,” she said with a smile, plopping down in the seat across from him. “So, any ideas where we should go for brunch?”

He gave her a smile, hoping she wouldn’t notice it was forced. “Actually, I was thinking of just staying home today, you and me. We can catch up on some TV and I could do some cooking and hope you don’t make fun of my feeble attempts to make Italian food.”

“You tease me as always,” she said with a laugh. “But what brought this on?” she inquired. “This morning you wanted to go grab brunch and then start moving your stuff here.”

“Oh, you could say that I had some inspiration,” he said with a completely straight face.

“As you can see, Captain, we’ve built the bolthole facility here. On the outside, it looks like a prefab cabin built on State or Federal property. But the facility goes down for three levels and that should be enough to take on survivors in case we’re attacked,” Clavichord Thrust said to Cantata and her fellow officers. “I’ll be taking the OIC position here, and we’re already working to set up an additional SCIF so we’ll have an additional intelligence facility.”

“Sounds like you have everything set,” Violin Elegy mused.

“Yeah. We have enough space for the sixty regular troops that you’re stationing here, and in the event of an emergency we have open bay berthing for the rest. Things will be tight if we get to that point, but manageable.” They followed her down a set of stairs to the bottommost part of the hidden base, where a hastily-built sanitation facility was built, meant to supply the whole base with the necessary water systems while not directly tying into the county’s system. “And with the auxiliary room, here, that’s that.”

“Anything else we need to know?” Rhapsody Blue asked.

“There’s something I’d like to know,” Cantata asked. “Yes, Commander – care to tell us where you were last night?”

“I was here, working with my team, finishing up the SCIF, why?” Elegy looked at her commanding officer strangely. “What’s up, Canta?”

Cantata looked at Rhapsody. “Your call, XO.”

“Care to tell us where you really were, Clavi?” Rhapsody replied.

“I just told you guys. Me and my crew were busy finish—”

“—ing up a deal to sell us out to Les SCARS,” Violin Elegy said, anger in her eyes. “Petty Officer Sharp Piccolo confessed. All your people have been arrested and will be dealt with.” The look in her eyes was one of betrayal. “We grew up together, Clavi! How could you?”

“Okay, guys, ha ha, you’ve had your joke.” A second later, and the stony-faced looks on her friends, suddenly horror struck the woman. “Wait – you’re serious about this? You’re crazy! We grew up together – you guys are like my sisters! You know I wouldn’t betray the Sisterhood!”

The look on Cantata’s eyes was one of infinite hurt. “I loved you like a sister, Clavi.” Then the hurt went away, replaced by the steely-eyed commanding officer as she said, “Play Surveillance Recording One, please, XO.”

The look of anguish was on Rhapsody’s face as she pulled a phone out of her pocket, and played an audio file:

“Yes, this is Travertine. May I have the price for the shirt?” The file sounded clearly scratchy, as though the person was calling overseas. Moreover, to her shock, Clavichord recognized the voice as her own.

Another voice, clearly on the other end, replied, “Thanks for the information for the Dubai silk blouse. We were able to get it at a great deal.”

“Then perhaps you can point me to another bargain, and in turn, I can tell you where to get that clothing you so very much desire.”

The conversation went on for a few more minutes, with the look of horror growing on Clavichord’s face as she heard her own voice say things she knew she’d never spoken, speaking to a stranger in a blatantly obvious code. If it wasn’t for the fact that her childhood friends believed she’d actually betrayed them, she’d have thought it to be a complete hoax and an utter prank.

Elegy walked over and slapped her. “How could you, Clavi? What did they offer you to backstab us – your sisters, your family?”

“I didn’t do it – that’s not me!” the SIREN shouted, the look on her eyes aghast as she rubbed her cheek. “You girls know me – we grew up together!”

Cantata looked at her with studious eyes. “I want to believe you, Clavi, but the evidence is pretty damning. We all looked it over for traces of electronic modifications and the like, but we didn’t find anything. The only thing points to someone who has the exact same vocal signature as you, like an identical twin; or that you really did do this.”

“But I didn’t, Canta! You have to believe me!”

Cantata sighed. “Girls…I believe her.”

“So do I,” Rhapsody replied, “but we want to make sure. She’d do the same if it was one of us.” Elegy said nothing, but instead merely nodded.

“Okay, here’s the deal, then, Clavi: we’re going to place you in confinement to quarters until one of our personnel can definitively prove it’s not you. While we do believe you, given the loss of lives to the intelligence put out by the mole, the rest of the unit might not be as accommodating.” The lead SIREN put her hand on her friend’s shoulder. “We’ll get to the bottom of this.”

“And that should do it,” Octavia said to herself as she finished the wrapping. She would have completed it earlier, except for Spike’s repeated pestering, then his friends coming over and her having to set the rules for them. Finally, though, she heard them gaming downstairs and could focus once again on what she intended to do in the first place.

She took a final look at the gift, completed in its wrapping, then shoved it under Sunset’s bed, hoping it would make for a good enough hiding spot until her aunt and uncle got back and they could cover it further. With that done, she stuck the extra wrapping, tape and scissors in Sunset’s desk, then plopped on the bed; she was certainly no stranger to it, given that she’d slept with both her cousins on a regular basis – and that was something she was never going to say aloud, lest someone get some really weird ideas.

Like all the strange ideas that were floating in her head as of late, many of which involved murder – or worse – to Sunset, as if Octavia hated her with a passion, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Octavia loved Sunset, not only because they were family, but because she’d been such a force in bringing Twilight out of her shell; the latter was nowhere near the girl she’d been months before, and she had her sister to thank, more so than even Octavia. Admittedly, that hurt on an emotional level, but Twilight never meant her any harm, right?

That was when a peculiar scent filled her nose, a cloying, sweet scent that reminded her of mint and really grabbed her attention. Sitting back up, she sniffed once in the air, catching the scent from something atop Sunset’s dresser. Getting off the bed, Octavia looked at it briefly before identifying the small metal tin that Sunset had bought at one of the Sanrio stores the last time they went to the mall. Popping it open revealed the treasure in question: jellybean-sized dots of a bluish green color and an appearance very much like gumdrops.

Without even thinking, she popped one in her mouth, carefully chewing. The result was an explosion of tangy citrus and mint on her tongue, the flavors blending perfectly even before the sugar’s sweetness kicked in. In a word, they tasted, well, magical.

I wonder what these are? Octavia wondered as she turned the tin around in her hands, looking for some kind of information. Some kind of Japanese candy? I’ll probably have to go back there and get her some more, the musician told herself as she popped another one in her mouth, then another and then ano—


What are you doing?” Octavia turned to see Twilight standing in the door, carrying a bunch of bags. It was clear that the two had gone to the mall prior to Sunset going shopping and from the looks of some of the bags, Twilight was dropping some off for her sister.

“I, uh, took a nap in here and…then I thought I’d have a candy or two,” Octavia said with an awkward smile, glad that she’d hidden the gift in time. Holding out the tin towards her cousin, she said, “Want one?”

“Tavi, those aren’t candies,” Twilight said, a look of worry on her face. “Those are incense dots! She got them from Trixie’s mom’s store and she didn’t know where to put them which is why they’re in there, an—” The rest of Twilight’s words were in vain as Octavia vaulted past her at high-speed and raced for the bathroom, locking herself in. A few seconds later, the sounds of retching could be heard. Wanting to help her cousin, Twilight cheerfully added, “Well, Sunny did say that they are non-toxic in case something like this happened….”

More retching came from the bathroom.

“Uh…I think I’d better go get you some water, Tavi,” Twilight said in awkward tones. “I’ll…be right back.”

“So, do you feel up to going out today?” Coco asked her cousin as they ate lunch. “I figured it’d be a great way to show you around the Canterlot area.”

Shimmer gave her younger cousin a smile. “That’d be great, thanks. All this sitting around is driving me mad, honestly. Besides, I promised to get some gifts for my friends. Do you have any suggestions?”

“Not really. I wish my friend Crackle was in town, as she’s really good at that sort of thing, but apparently she’s visiting her grandparents in China for the rest of the month – I think you would’ve liked her. And as for my other friends—”

“One thing at a time, Coco,” Shimmer said with a soft smile. “I’m not really comfortable around strangers. Besides, I thought we could use this time to get to know one another personally, given that I don’t have many cousins, myself.”

“Fair enough. You know, why don’t we start in Everfree Glades, then? I’d say Olde Towne San Palomino, but that place tends to be busy; and besides, we can hit the mall tomorrow, if that’s okay with you – I have to get a birthday gift for a friend.”

“Works for me! Maybe we can get some swimsuits and then go to Horseshoe Bay the day after? I hear that place is pretty sweet this time of year.”

Coco took the last drink from her glass, then rose from her chair. “Let me see if the chauffeur’s available, and if so, we can get going.”

Gilda, by her own admission, wasn’t a girl who scared easily. By her very aggressive nature, she was typically thought of as “scary black woman”, even when she was trying to turn a new leaf. Maybe it was the new clothing, designed to bring out the sensitive side of her. Maybe it was the therapy sessions she had to attend during her school year at the Blanks, part of the price she had to pay for staying out of jail.

Or maybe it had to do with the two girls sitting across from her, their eyes looking down at her like twin sets of lasers that would cut her to the bone. Either way, fear was starting to become an emotion she was slowly but surely getting the hang of.

“So, let me get this straight,” Applejack said, leaning forwards on the table. “Y’ wanna make nice with Sunny after y’ done ran a pig sticker in her? An’ ya want us to be the ones to let ya? Are ya fucking stupid or just brain damaged?”

“AJ, let me handle this, okay?” Rainbow commented, the look on her face indicating that perhaps this wasn’t such a great idea after all before turning to Gilda. “So, anything you want to say?”

Gilda gave an awkward smile, thinking along the same lines as Rainbow. “I’m…sorry for threatening you at knifepoint and was going to send you out in public topless?”

“Well, that’s a start,” Rainbow replied, “but I want something more akin, to, oh, I dunno, the truth? Granted, you’re going to do whatever it is you’re doing, but I want to protect my friends – something I thought you were, once.”

“Dash….” she started, then stopped. “No, Rainbow – look, when I was a kid…I should’ve asked for help. I should’ve not let my birth father do to me what he did. That was bad enough. But the worst part is that in getting away from him? I was already infected by his…well, I suppose you could say that in trying to get away from him, I became him. And now he’s rotting in jail for years, and I was nearly on the way there as well, despite the best efforts of my mother and stepfather, who’s been more of a father to me than my old man ever was.

“Maybe you’ll never forgive me, Rainbow. If that’s the case…I’m okay with that. I’m already used to having my boyfriend dump me, my best friend ignore me, and having to start from scratch. I’m at the bottom, and that’s probably where I belong right now. But if I have a chance to improve myself, don’t you think I should take that chance? Even if she doesn’t forgive me…maybe I’ll have the chance to forgive myself.” Gilda looked at her former friend and said, “Look where I went and where it got me. It’s time for me to take the higher road.”

Both girls on the other end of the table blinked, then looked at the newcomer. It was Rainbow that finally spoke: “Okay, who the hell are you and what did you do with Gilda Griffin’s corpse? Seriously, if this is like that old 70s film about the pod people and shit….”

“Wait, y’ watched that?” Applejack asked. “Thought you said it was stupid.”

“Well, Scoots liked it, so I was willing to sit through it for the sake of my little sis.” She then turned back to Gilda. “Okay. This is against my better judgement, but I’ll arrange it. We were willing to forgive Sunset for everything she did to us, so for me to turn you away for that would be hypocrical.”

“Hypocritical?” Gilda offered.

“Yeah, that.” Rainbow looked at Applejack, who got the message immediately.

“We’ll call you in an hour. If she’s willing t’ meet with ya, then we’ll tell you where she is. If not, well…Ah’ll guess y’all have to live with it.”

Gilda ran a hand through her short white hair. “I guess that’ll have to do, then.”

“No more,” Compass Rose told Tennis Match as she dropped her racket and doubled over, panting. “You’re too good at this, Matchie.”

Tennis Match grinned as she walked around the net to join her friend. “Rose, you’re not half bad yourself. You really should consider joining the school’s tennis club. I think you’d do great!”

“Yeah, says the girl who’s a shoo-in for the Olympic tryouts next year!”

Tennis Match rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right. I still have a long way to go, Rose. Played against a ranked girl from Shasta U last week, and while I held my own, it was clear that she was beyond me. I’m not there yet, but give me a couple of years.”

“Yeah, well, I’ll be there to cheer you on,” Rose said, adjusting her glasses. “I’m just not the sporting type.”

“But I thought that Berry liked you hot and sweaty?” the other girl teased and Rose turned a bright shade of red as a result. Noting that, Tennis Match asked, “Don’t tell me you two….”

“Maybe,” Rose said, her blush starting to extend beyond her face.

“That’s great, really! I’m glad you found someone who makes you happy, Rose. Now if Scotch and I can find guys of our own, we’ll be set.” Picking up the spare tennis racket that she’d lent Rose, her eyes drifted to the clock against the wall. “What time did you say you were meeting Berry?”

Rose then adjusted her glasses and gasped. “Shit, I’m late! Sorry, Matchie, but I have to go – I promised Berry we’d go to the movies this afternoon.”

“No problem; I was going to practice a bit more against the backboard. It’s three blocks to where my mom works, so I can just walk over there afterwards. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

“You sure?”

Tennis Match laughed. “If you’re that worried about me, I’ll call you later tonight and you can tell me how your date went, okay? Now go shower and get ready! That girl of yours deserves you at your best!”

“Yeah, that she does. See ya later!” Waving goodbye to her friend, Rose walked off towards the locker rooms, leaving Tennis Match to pick up the balls the two had hit, before then moving over to the backboard and solo practice. She did this for a few minutes, until someone else, another girl, joined her. Nothing was said, but instinctively the two started playing single-wall tennis, moving and going at it with a skill that made Tennis Match get a second workout, happy to play someone a little bit higher up on the skill level.

Finally, the two stopped and Tennis Match gave her opponent a tired smile. “Hey, you’re good.”

“That’s what they tell me,” the other girl replied. “Hope I’ll get the chance to prove it to the tennis federation when they start doing quals next year.”

“You’re going for the quals? Neat!” Tennis Match cooed. “You seem like you know your way around a court.”

“Yeah, I do,” the girl said, offering her hand.

Tennis Match took it and introduced herself. “And you are?”

“You can just call me Contralto,” the other girl said with a wolfish smile.

“Look, this is a really bad time for me,” Sunset said over the phone as she walked into Sugarcube Corner Café.

“Look, Sunny, as weird as this sounds, she’s sincere about it,” Rainbow replied. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so nonbigiling—”

“Nonbeguiling.”

“Whatever. The fact is, she’s on the up and up about it and I think it’d be good for both of you. Besides, both me and AJ will be there. Seriously, what can go wrong?”

“Didn’t AJ have to bail you out of whatever Gilda and Lightning Dust tried to do to you? Besides, I can take care of myself.”

“Yes, I’m sure you can – but nobody wants the place burned down due to whatever magic fireball you threw at her. Look, just trust us, okay?”

“Fine,” Sunset sighed. “I guess I’ll see you guys later. Bye.” Hanging up the phone, she leaned over the countertop, face down. “Why me?”

“Is everything okay, dear?” Mrs. Cake asked.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Sunset groaned.

Coco watched her cousin as the older girl looked around the town in a sense of jamais vu. “I swear I’ve been here before,” Shimmer told her. A few seconds later, she pointed at a coffee shop. “If I remember correctly, that used to be a drug store there with an ice cream counter. I used to love getting the chocolate malted crunch – it was my favorite – and then Dad used to tease me by pretending to take licks from my ice cream cone, followed by Mom admonishing him for that.” Shimmer sighed. “Hard to believe that it was years ago.”

“I was just a baby when Uncle Summer was killed,” Coco told her, “so I don’t really remember him, sorry.”

“It’s okay. Sometimes I’m afraid that I’ll wake up one day and I won’t recall that scratchy stubble he had because he didn’t like to shave and Mom insisted on it. Sometimes I can barely remember his voice, or that I think of my uncle Noblesse’s instead of his. And sometimes I wish that I wouldn’t hear my mother cry because she still misses the only man that ever won her heart.” A wistful look came over her face and she groaned, planting face in palm. “Listen to me: Our grandmother just passed away and here I am, whining like a little girl, when she wanted more for me. I’m such an idiot.”

“No, you miss him,” Coco told her cousin, “and that’s natural. I’m lucky: All my life I’ve had Mom, Dad, Fancy and Nana, and my best friend, Crackle, too. But I can’t imagine the sorrow that you feel because your father’s gone.”

“He would’nt’ve been if he hadn’t taken me to the circus that day. Mom was busy with work, and so Dad took me, and we had fun. But then the car blew a tire and we crashed. By some miracle, I was the one that survived. He didn’t.” Shimmer felt her eyes grow wet with tears that she never thought would end. “And I blamed myself. Ran away, first chance I could get, and the cops brought me back. I felt like I deserved to be the one to die. I don’t admit this to my mom, but sometimes I still do.”

“But that wouldn’t be the best thing for you or your mom. Look, my best friend Crackle? She absolutely loved her older sister – technically half-sister – and she and Suri were tight as tight could be. But a couple of weeks ago something happened that Crackle still won’t tell me about, and she and her sister aren’t on speaking terms. I can’t imagine not being able to speak to my brother, or his girlfriend Fleur, or any of my other friends…well, maybe Scootaloo’s an exception to that, but she’s my friend regardless. In any case, Aunt Soli loves you, Shimmy. You are her daughter and for you to say that you’d be better off dead…would that really be the case?”

Shimmer shook her head in surprise. “So when did you get all wise?”

Coco winked. “Learned it from my mentor, Twilight Sparkle. Twily’s been helping me adjust to some of the stuff I’ll need to be aware of at Zacherle.” Coco then went on to explain some of the problems she’d had with a couple of seniors and that Twilight and her cousin Octavia had stepped in to mentor Coco and her friend Crackle; that normally seniors would do it but that in the wake of the inexplicable rupture between Crackle and Suri, the two juniors – both divas, another concept she had to explain to her cousin – stepped in to watch over the two girls, and used their authority to prevent further shenanigans. “According to Tavi, it was when some seniors spiked a drink at a restaurant that me and Crackle went to that they just happened to be at, that was the final straw. On the bright side, I have some new friends now.”

“Sounds vastly different from my life,” Shimmer said as she went on to discuss her life in Paris, and her friends back home. Coco laughed when Shimmer told her the part about her friends’ utter shock when they discovered that she was a princess of the Bonaparte dynasty. “Mom and I don’t live like the rest of the family does; we have a normal house, I don’t even have a car yet, and I take the train like most people my age. If it wasn’t for the fact that I travel a lot and that we spend plenty of time on the family estates, nobody would know at all that we’re royalty.”

“Wow, and to th—” Coco started before she was bumped into by a pair of girls. Abruptly, the young girl collapsed to the ground in a heap, ending up in an undignified sprawl on the sidewalk.

“Hey, watch where you’re walking!” a girl with long blonde hair and lavender eyes snarled. Her face was contorted in an angry sneer, and her posture indicated that she was looking for a fight, a position bolstered by the strategically-ripped jeans and the Metallica t-shirt she wore. Behind her was a meek girl, wearing white jeans and a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt; her hair was a short dark fuschia, while her bright blue eyes radiated a kind of worry, though Coco wasn’t sure what she was worried about.

“Hey, I’m talking to you, stupid!” the first girl said, when the second one grabbed her hand.

“It was just an accident, Lav, okay?” the first girl stated in what seemed like a plaintive whine. “Let’s just go, okay?”

“No, Fuchsia, we’re not,” “Lav” contradicted her. “This girl just tried to knock me over and I’m not leaving without an apology.”

“Lavender, we’re gonna be late for the movie!” the girl named Fuchsia whimpered.

“No, I’m going to get my apology if it means beating it out of her.”

“Excuse me,” Shimmer began, stepping into the fray. “It was an accident; nobody’s fault, really. So why don’t we just let this matter lay at rest, then you and your friend can go your way and we can go ours, okay?”

“Oh, you.” To Shimmer’s surprise, Lavender got right in her face. “I knew that sooner or later I’d run into you, Little Miss Hot Shit,” the other girl hissed in a threatening tone.

“Excuse me?” the flame-haired girl asked.

“You heard me. You think you’re the shit just because you have CHS under your boot,” Lavender intoned, “but I run Forest Edge and so to me, you’re nothing.” The blonde poked Shimmer repeatedly in the chest, vowing, “You can have your little shit place, but don’t you dare think that makes you more than just a small fish in a big pond, because in this place, I’m the shark, got that?”

Shimmer’s eyes narrowed. “I don’t think I like your tone.”

“Yeah, well I don’t give a fuck what you think about my tone. I’ll just say this one last time: stay the hell out of my territory, bitch, or you’d better hope that serial killer finds you before I do.”

Fuchsia tugged at Lavender’s arms. “Lav, we gotta go!”

Lavender sighed. “Fine, fine, we’re going.” The two then walked in the direction they’d intended, but not before Lavender turned and added, “Last warning, bitch. Better heed it!” With that, the two walked on, leaving Shimmer and Coco to watch as they receded into the throngs on the sidewalk.

“You didn’t have to do that,” Coco said, brushing the dirt off her clothes. “Admittedly…Crackle usually does, but I don’t want anyone to think of me as a baby or anything.”

“No, that wasn’t the case. You did nothing wrong and that girl was a bully. Though strangely, she acted as if she knew me.”

A thought crossed Coco’s face. “Do you think she confused you with someone she knows?”

“Probably,” Shimmer said with a smile. “I mean, how many American-born French princesses do you have running around the Canterlot metro area? I’m going to guess not many.”

“Probably not,” the younger girl said with a laugh.


Watching from across the street, Flash Sentry looked in surprise. I knew she’d changed, but…I didn’t think that much. From his vantage point at the coffee shop he watched as his former girlfriend, alongside a younger girl he didn’t know the identity of, backed down from a fight with Forest Edge High School’s Queen Bitch Supreme, Lavender Lace. Despite her “sweet and sugary” name, the girl was as much of a problem child as Gilda Griffin or Lightning Dust, but with the bonus of Sunset’s intelligence and instincts and was usually able to avoid the trouble that would have otherwise come her way. In fact, the only reason he knew of her is because of a few romps in the sack that he’d had with her before he hooked up with Blossomforth; he’d hoped that someday he could have sweet talked Lavender and Sunset into a ménage a trois, but unfortunately for him, Sunset dumped him and Lavender had hooked up with that timid little piece of tail with her, a waste of space named Fuchsia Blush that somehow managed to make Fluttershy look like a street tough.

But that wasn’t the important part. No, the important part was that he just saw Sunset back down from a fight; and more importantly, she was showing kindness to another girl. The Sunset he knew never showed that consideration to others, at least not until the day he ran into her at that restaurant in Horseshoe Bay, all to protect that girl that she claimed was her sister.

Twilight Sparkle, a girl that Sunset had never mentioned before in all their years together. A girl that, for reasons he still didn’t fathom, seemed to remain on the tip of his tongue. He wanted her, not like he’d ever wanted anyone in his life. Sunset, Lavender, Blossomforth – all the others – were nothing more than mere conquests, while Twilight was the grand prize. The kind of prize he might even settle down with, though to him that was an insane idea.

Besides, Sunset would never allow it.

But then again, he said as he watched the two girls walk off, that might not be a problem much longer.

If there was one thing that Sunset had learned to do over her time working at Sugarcube Corner Café, it was to focus on the work and filter out all the ambient distraction, whether it was the hateful stares of others, at first; or, for a more current example, the hopeful stares of the occasional person who wanted to ask her out. Eventually, when she got her magic back, she was able to additionally categorize and balance her mental filtering with a sense of what her customers needed, and finely honed it to the point that she was the legendary waitress of Sugarcube Corner, even outpacing Pinkie’s popularity (though she was building her own rep over at the Knickerbocker.)

But as Gilda Griffin walked into the door, flanked by a very wary Rainbow and Applejack, for the first time in a while, Sunset wondered what to do. Part of her recoiled as the phantom pain of her wound burned through her. Another part of her, the pony within her soul, wanted to do what ponies generally did best: run, run fast and run far. A third part of her wanted to utilize what she’d been taught by the closest pony she had to a biological mother and burn Gilda to death via fireball. But the human within Sunset, the human she currently was, remained conflicted and confused.

Then Gilda said her name: “Sunset.”

“Gilda?” Sunset’s hand went up to her face and her eyes opened in surprise. She felt her skin blanche and her breath stop as her heart began to pump blood through the body in preparation for the former part of the “flight or fight” protocol. That in itself warred with the need to cast the most powerful spell she could and leave not even a trace of a blood smear left of her assailant. Both sides clashed, the fearful and the fearless, and neither counseled her on what was the best choice. Even friendship itself seemed hollow when facing the girl that had very much did her harm.

“Look,” Gilda continued, “It’s clear that I scare you, and that…I guess…is natural. Maybe a year ago I would’ve enjoyed it. I know I would’ve craved it. But that person isn’t me anymore. I can’t let it be me, Sunset. Just like you changed…I need to, too. And the first step…is apologizing to someone that I know I hurt, almost as bad as I have my own parents.”

“Sunny, she’s not kidding,” Rainbow spoke up. “Trust me, AJ and I have been riding this the whole day and I think she’s legit. Not saying you owe her anything, given the situation, but…as your friend, maybe you should give it a shot.”

“Ah agree, sugarcube. Usually Ah’m not one to say no to something like this, but given yer past with her, Ah’ll be the first to admit that Ah balked,” Applejack added. “But Ah think Gilda’s on the up and up, and maybe this is something she needs.”

“Something she needs?” Sunset said in a cold tone that surprised even her.

“Eyup. Just like you did when you changed your ways. You needed us to forgive ya before you could even hope to forgive yerself.”

“I see.” Sunset unconsciously ran her hand down to where the scar was, and watched as Gilda briefly looked at the spot before wincing. She tried to square the angry girl wearing the tan jeans and torn up clothing stabbing her with the girl wearing the rather preppy clothing before her, trying very hard not to be what she was. Maybe it was better, but maybe not.

Her mind wandered back towards a time when she hadn’t been very far from where Gilda metaphorically stood:


“There,” Rainbow replied, shrugging her shoulders. “Can’t believe that….” She then looked at Sunset. “Sunset, what is wrong with you?”

“I…I just…I just wanted….”

Rainbow allowed herself a rare moment of not-coolness. “Look, Sunset…it’s a Monday. People are just getting used to everything that happened this past Friday. Nothing happens overnight – literally or metaphically.”

“Metaphorically?” Sunset supplied.

“Yeah, that.” She looked at the other teen, who was starting to stink of coffee and whose clothes had acquired a very caffeinated stain. “Plus, really? This ‘meek’ you isn’t…well, you.”

“I know, but… I have to make amends. Truthfully, it took a lot of effort to even get out of bed this morning.”


And I’ve spent every day of my life since making up for that, Sunset realized. It’s not the quick answers I was looking for, but what the Princess told me: A lifetime of discovery is just that, a lifetime, not a single shortcut-riddled garden path. Her eye looked down at where the stab wound was, covered by her t-shirt, then back at Gilda, who was starting to look a little worried. It’s like that old saying that Twily told me about the other day: “Mankind was always meant for his reach to exceed his grasp, or else what’s a heaven for?” If I don’t forgive her, then I’m not worth anything that anyone – or anypony – blessed me with, certainly not the trust and friendship of the Princess of Magic herself.

Sunset closed her eyes. I don’t know if I can be half as trusting as you need me to be, Twilight…but I can try.

Gesturing to the empty table, she said, “Guys, take a seat. AJ, apple spice chai for you; Rainbow, double mocha Americano, right? And what about you, Gilda?”

Gilda, plopping into the empty seat next to Rainbow, said, “Um…iced white chocolate mocha.”

Sunset gave the same smile she did with every customer. “Sure, be right back.”

Gilda looked at the two of them. “Did I miss something?”

“Yeah. Y’ got yer foot in the door, Gilda,” Applejack said, leaning back into the seat. “For your sake: don’t fuck it up.”


Cup watched as Sunset walked towards the coffee machine. “Go ahead and take the time to unwind, Sunset, dear.” When Sunset looked at her in surprise, Cup smiled. “I can see it in your eyes right now. You’re feeling emotionally fragile at the moment and you need some time to compose yourself. Go ahead and take a few minutes in the back; I’ll take care of the drinks.”

“Thanks, Mrs. C,” Sunset said softly, giving a wan smile to the woman before she let herself stumble to the kitchen area, crumple to the ground and put her arms around herself in a comforting hug while she shivered, the adrenaline in her body taking her on a very uncomfortable physiological ride, the tears coming to her eyes before she could even wipe them, the sob uttering from her mouth before she could even bite off the anguish.

Clavichord sat on the bunk in the room where she was confined in. That very fact galled her: She knew she’d never betray the friends she grew up with, or the Sisterhood. After all, there wasn’t much choice: CSIS declared Poutine’s life forfeit when he decided that the best thing for the SIRENs was to be disbanded and in doing so, declared war against the organization that had been responsible for much of Canada’s stealth “iron fist in a velvet glove” strategy. Let the Americans make the big show with the SEALs, Delta Force and the Green Berets; SIREN, more so than any of the other CANSOF forces, was the dagger in the back of the enemy when they were waiting for others to break down the door instead.

That had set Cantata and the others against their former masters in a war of attrition that the SIRENs were slowly losing, if only because CSIS could field far more personnel and materiel against them. Which made the whole idea of a mole within the organization confusing at best and nonsensical at worst. If Les SCARs continued the way they were going, eventually they would have the Sisterhood destroyed with little collateral damage. Cantata’s plan to take CSIS HQ would succeed, but it would be a pyrrhic victory, with all of them just as dead as the person they would go in to kill: CSIS Director Golden Rule. They had to know it was a matter of time, then.

So why then the subterfuge? To sow dissent amongst the Sisterhood? That was clearly what happened in the short term, but in the long term Cantata would prove her to be innocent and the SIRENs would be wary for any further attempts to sow dissent amongst the SIRENs. If anything, using former SIRENs – classified reports stated that some who had betrayed the Sisterhood still existed out there somewhere – would’ve been something that would have been far more effective. And yet, this was a complete and utter failure.

But why? In the long run, it did nothing other than take me out of the equation for a bit, and preventing me from being able to do my duties as the Intelligence Officer. But what if—


Clavichord thought nothing further as she suddenly felt five spikes punch through her chest, and the searing pain that came with them. She heard a voice whisper in her ear, “And I really never liked you at all, Commander.” As her vision began to tunnel into darkness, Contralto told her, “Oh, and just for your information: It was the Captain who set you up for this.”

“Can…ta…?” Clavichord managed to spit out of her mouth, as it filled with blood. Then she felt her head being pulled backwards, a monster from hell stare at her with eyes of malicious glee, and raise a hand ending in long, sharp claws. Then the claws moved forward…and Lt. Cmdr. Clavichord Thrust, formerly of the RCN, knew nothing more.

The four girls were laughing while Mrs. Cake had the run of the café for the day. Though the matron kept an occasional eye on the quartet sitting at table six, she relaxed slightly as nothing had happened in the past few hours, save for Sunset gradually calming down. Though Cup’s practiced eye could tell that her employee was still ill at ease with the other girl, the fact was that she knew that Rainbow and Applejack would step in if things got problematic. Furthermore, Cup could easily call the police, and given that Sunset was involved a cruiser would be here in a moment’s notice. Thankfully, it didn’t seem as if that would need to be the case.

“And so the last time I talked to Lightning, she said that her family was moving to San Francisco before the school year starts so she can get away from all ‘my negativity’, quote unquote,” Gilda said, leaning against the back of her chair. “I don’t know what she did to convince her parents that she’s the one completely innocent of wrongdoing, but it worked.”

“How are you dealing with that?” Rainbow asked. From the sound of her voice, Cup noted, she sounded sincere. Her niece Pinkie told her once that the two had a past together, but what that past was, she didn’t know. Had they been friends before? Lovers? Admittedly, it wasn’t any of her business, but ensuring that her patrons didn’t start a war in her restaurant or harm each other was her business; likewise, so was protecting her employee, namely Sunset. She’d also privately admit to having somewhat of a protective streak for her niece’s friends but that was to be expected when one was a parent.

The phone rang and Cup opted to leave the girls alone. They would have it in hand, she was sure.


Meanwhile the conversation continued on, unaware that the proprietress was no longer hovering. “Same way I did when I found out that I was dumped by Garble without warning when I saw him making out with Honeyed Chocolate. Went home and drank myself into a stupor. Mom was pissed and Dad was disappointed.” Applejack raised an eyebrow and Gilda had the grace to blush. “Yeah…in addition to everything else, I had – have – a drinking problem. I…inherited a lot of my biological father’s problems and though my parents have gone to lengths to try to help me move past them…it took nearly ending up in jail to realize that I was on the same path as he was. And personally, I don’t want to end up in jail. So I have to move on.”

“Well, that’s nice and all that, but I hope you don’t think that we’re gonna be buddy-buddies after this,” Sunset said, trying – and not entirely succeeding – to keep the anger out of her voice. She knew she had to forgive; that was just a part of her nature now, both pony and human. And certainly after everything she’d done to people and having been forgiven for it – even though she worked for it – to turn down Gilda would be hypocritical, to save the least.

But maybe that’s the answer.

“You’re going to work for it,” Sunset said, as her two friends looked on in surprise. “You’re going to be the most hated girl in the school and it’s going to be a damn climb up. And it won’t be easy or quick; I got lucky and found a way to help the school and that put me back on top. You probably won’t be as lucky. But if you’re willing to do it…I’m willing to give you a chance.”

“Really?” the three other girls said at the same time.

“Yes. There will be times you will hate yourself for doing it and you’ll wonder what the hell you’re doing. The day you stabbed me, it was because I went back to where it all started for me and I wondered if I was doing the right thing. There will be a time when you’ll do the same, and I hope that you’ll be in a safer position than I was. Because you’ll need to understand: it’s worth it.”

“I…see,” was Gilda’s terse answer.

“And another thing: Get yourself a better set of friends. Garble used you in the same way that Flash used me; and Lightning Dust, who unlike my friends, isn’t one you can trust and rely on. Find a friend that won’t stab you in the back.” Both Sunset and Gilda involuntarily winced at the former’s choice of words before she continued. “I don’t know who you know outside of your normal circle, but I strongly recommend you start talking to them…and to leave your old ones behind.” Sunset stood up. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back to work; the café closes in ten minutes and I do have to help my boss. But I hope you take what I’ve said in context.”

“I will. But…do I have your forgiveness?”

“Maybe,” Sunset said as she walked away. “But let’s see what you do with it.”

As the flame-haired girl went into the back of the store, Gilda looked at her retreating form with surprise. “I don’t understand.”

“Sugarcube,” Applejack spoke up, “Sunny’s just trying t’ give you another chance in her own way. Ah’m not going to even pretend that Ah understand it, but she does have a point. Who do you have that y’ can turn to, because your old circle ain’t gonna cut it.”

“What about you and the others?”

“That…we’d have to talk to the others,” Rainbow admitted. “While you and I go way back, some of the others might not be as comfortable. Besides, Sunny might not be so cool with that. Plus, friendship starts with the first step and reaching out to someone. What about some of your next door neighbors?”

“There’s a girl that goes to Holy Cross that lives right next to us. She’s reached out to me before…but I was never interested in the past.”

“Then that’s yer first step.” Applejack winked and pointed at the door. “Get going and get friendly. B’sides, it’s gonna get dark in a couple of hours, and given what’s going on, ya probably don’t want to be on the streets when that happens.”

“Yeah,” Gilda agreed. “No kidding.”

“Well, that was fun!” Coco said with a smile as they sat in the back of the limousine, bags by the bulk in the trunk and the passenger compartment.

Shimmer nodded. “Yeah, I’ll have to agree. Though I wish we didn’t run into those weird girls from earlier.”

“Yeah, I wonder what was up with them?” A second later, Coco waved it off with a cheerful smile. “Eh, don’t worry about it; it was probably a once in a lifetime thing and we’ll probably never see them again.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Shimmer said with a nod. “So, you wanted to go to the mall tomorrow?”

“Yup! Fancy can take us there and everything, since he’s not busy,” Coco explained. “Plus, I want to make sure I have gifts for Twily, since her birthday’s in a couple of days.”

“I’ll help you wrap – papercraft’s a hobby of mine and I’ll be more than glad to help you make it look the best.”

“Thanks!” Coco cooed as she hugged Shimmer. “I really appreciate it, Shimmy!”

Shimmer returned the embrace. “Always, for family.”

“Goddamn kids,” a gruff, older voice muttered. Whisk Broom had been working at the gym for a long time now, years, and there were two things he could always count on: babies making huge messes in the daycare section, and kids with no business in the gym and thus making messes. Hell, he still remembered the day a few months back when he caught a couple of teens doing what came naturally in the men’s sauna. The look of shock on their faces made the cleanup almost worth it, especially when he watched the girl run off. Ah, if he was only a few decades younger….

But now, here he was, in the tennis court room, where one of the overnight staff had reported that the lights had shorted out. So much for those new-fangled LDEs (or whatever they were called) that worked differently than regular lights – apparently they didn’t hold a candle (pun intended) to traditional incandescents. He knew that for a fact, especially since his wife Molasses Cookie had him change the one in the living room lamp this morning; he originally used one of those DLEs – yeah, that’s what they were called – but she complained and he swapped it out with one of the older ones from the garage. That made her a happy camper and made his life easier.

He shuffled in, mop and cadillac moving along with his feet as he walked into the room. Sure enough, the lights on this side were out, with the sconces above flickering with the thin tendrils of electricity that showed that there was a surge or a circuit fried or something like that. The lights on the far side were controlled by a different circuit and those seemed okay. Fortunately, he didn’t need much light to see by; that’s why he’d been a tunnel rat during his days in the ‘Nam. One of the more successful ones in the Army, too – both because he got promotions and decorations…and because he lived to see the end of the war.

Finally, he made it to the other side and flicked on the switches. The lights came on, and with it, horror.

Suspended from the ceiling from the net that made up one of the courts, was a formerly beautiful young woman. She was nude, and at any other time, would have been a sight to appreciate. But that was taken up from the horrifying gash that went from her neck to her crotch. That was horrifying enough. But it was the strange drawing, painted on the ground in the tennis courts, that gave him pause. He couldn’t understand it, or the meaning behind it. All he knew was that a young girl had been murdered; and as he ran out of the courts as fast as his elderly legs could carry him, the image of The Star – whatever that meant – would haunt him for the rest of his days.

Following its dark directive, the storm moved up past Ventura County and headed north. The damage to the California coast was already brutal, so much so that the governor had declared a state of emergency and the Federal government was soon to send in assistance as well. But that didn’t matter for the hundreds already dead from coastal Los Angeles County and southwards, and that the body count would soon increase, as the hurricane had already spun off one tornado that was tearing through the northern part of Los Angeles County.

Watching it hundreds of miles away, a man laughed as his mystically-created hurricane grew larger. Soon it would give him the power to make his final push and start his endgame.

In Sunnytown, a man reviewed intelligence reports and planned for a strike on the SIREN facility. He knew he had the men, and Sable Loam or not, he could take down those bitches with no problem at all. The incoming storms would give him plenty of cover and that asshole from Canada would be able to work some official cover so that the stupid rubes in this town would never know what would go on.

Maybe after that, he’d go visit Loam’s girlfriend. She seemed like she was fun in the sack, and Blackthorn bet he could make her sing soprano once she rode him.

As Celestia slept on his lap, Sable looked at the TV, made sure she was asleep, then reached over for his phone. Switching it over to a particular app, he cued that on. A second later, he got the ALL CLEAR, and he smiled.

They’re not touching you, love, he thought, taking her hand and giving it a soft squeeze. Not with the alarm system he set around the house that was designed to wake him up in a moment’s notice. Any common burglar who tried anything would get a decent taser jolt; not enough to knock him under, but enough to drive him away. And anyone who moved on beyond that was someone he would have to deal with – in a very lethal manner.

But I’m not going to be proud of it at all, he said to her silently. Not one bit.

Walking into her bedroom with the phone ringing, Sunset asked, “Tavi, can you pass that to me?”

“Yeah, sure,” her cousin said and lobbed it over.

Without looking at it, Sunset answered, “Yeah, it’s Sunny.”

“Sunny hunny, still fuckin’ funny?” a voice said on the other end.

“None of your business if I am or not, Brad,” she snarled. At that, Sunset watched as her sister winced, and that only made Sunset’s blood boil. “You have less than a second to explain what the fuck you’re calling me for, because if it’s more than a second more, I will murder you without even batting an eye, so help me God.”

“Ha! Good one, almost had me worried for a second. And I thought I told you not to call me Brad.”

“Well, I thought I told you not to call me ever, so we’re even.” She mentally counted to ten before continuing. “So, what do I owe the displeasure of your call?”

“Just wondering what you were doing in Everfree Glades, pissing off Lavender Lace.”

“For starters, I was at work today, making peace with Gilda. Secondly, it’s none of your damn business what I do or who I do it with, so you can just fuck off and ride the next horse out of town, got it!” Especially since that horse isn’t going to be me! she mentally added.

“Look, not that I should give a shit, but I was going to warn you about fucking with Lavender Lace. She’s got your kind of reputation – well, the one you had before you became Ms. Goody Two-shoes – and she’s gunning for your ass regarding whatever you and that other girl argued with her about earlier today.”

“Look, I told you I wasn’t in Everfree Glades—”

“Yeah, and I saw you with my own two eyes, Sunset. Unless you’re some kind of magical wizard, even you can’t do that.”

“Well, I am, but you’re right, I can’t do that.” She chuckled inwardly at that; she’d just told him the truth and he’d never realize. “In any case, I was never in Everfree Glades, I don’t know who the fuck you’re talking about, and if you ever call me again, you’ll regret it!”

“Look, I’m just trying to make nice, okay? You and me had some fun times and maybe if I was nicer to you, we could have them again. Or maybe I could hook up with your sister. Or maybe….”

“You’re a Goddamn pig, you know that?” Sunset said, and decided right then and there she was going to teach him a lesson. Her mind went through all the various spells she could transmit by voice – a rare method of spell transmission, but it was how the Ostriches of Ostralia could do magic – remembered one and then whispered it over the phone. It sounded guttural and hurt her throat slightly but then again the human larynx wasn’t meant to speak in Osterrich language.

“What was that?”

“I said don’t ever call me again, Brad. Good riddance.” She then hung up the phone, plopped on the bed and screamed into a pillow.

Octavia looked away from the screen. “You really should get one of those call-blocking apps.”

“Downloading one the first chance I get,” Sunset sighed.

“Was that really him?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, and no, he’s never going to come near you, sis. I promise,” Sunset told her, and Twilight breathed a sigh of relief.

“That’s good. But I am curious: why do you call him ‘Brad’?”

Sunset laughed. “Well, it’s his real name – ‘Flash Sentry’ is a bullshit lie he tells everyone.” When both girls looked at her oddly, she added, “I got to see his birth certificate once, and it’s Bradley, which is—”

“Old English for wide meadow,” Twilight interjected.

“Got it in one,” Sunset said. “But he never liked the name, because well, it’s archaic, so nobody would ever call their kid that – well, except his parents. He told me he got ‘Flash Sentry’ from some movie that he stayed up way late once and watched, some stupid 70s sci-film. He liked it, told everyone that he wanted to be called that from now on, and eventually everyone started to, to the point that when I met him, there was no indicator that he had any other name.”

“So why do you bring it up?” Octavia asked.

“Easy. At first, it was to let him know who clearly held his balls. Now? It’s to clearly let him know who’s better than he is. I could easily destroy his rep – even more than him getting away with the shit from the Vibe could – by broadcasting to everyone in town that he has a dorktacular name. And if that’s what keeps him in line, that’s what does it.”

“Really?” Twilight asked.

“Really,” she said, putting an arm around her sister. “Besides…I have other ways of getting back at him.”

Thirty minutes and one shower later, “Flash Sentry” had panic on his mind. He’d spent the week trying to sweet talk Cream Soda into coming over. He’d never slept with a black girl before, and Cream was a cutie regardless of ethnicity: skin the color of milk chocolate, sweet-smelling caramel-and-tan hair, and beige eyes that said he was in for a fun night tonight…

…until what was going on right now. What the fuck whatthefuck whatthefuck whatthefuck…. As he tried to calm down, he knew that there could be only one person who had to be responsible for this, even though it wasn’t possible. Sunset! That bitch did this to me…but how? No, there’s no way she could’ve. Maybe this is just some strange reaction to the body wash I used in the shower….

The doorbell rang and his panic grew. He was just about to get rocks off…or maybe not…

…given that his skin had turned into a glowing cream orange color, certainly not normal much less healthy looking. He’d always had a perfect look to him, but now? Now he looked like an oversized creamsicle with blue hair.

The doorbell rang again and he realized he wasn’t going to get any tonight – not from Cream Soda or anyone else.

I’m so screwed….

Author's Note:

And that's it Remember,your donation helps a starving artist!

And as I mentioned before, 7DSJ Book IV will be going on a hiatus for the month of November. Reasons why:
- Editing my latest novel
- Finishing up Protection, Shake It Off, and another story which some folks might be interested in
- Doing some art and taking care of some web stuff.

Don't worry, I hear there's more going on in the world of 7DSJ...but you'll have to find that out for yourselves.