• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 591 Views, 12 Comments

Tambelon School of Knighthood - Catrina37



Scorpan, Thorne, and Rep tell the CMC and their sisters the story of their days in Tambelon's School of Knighthood and the challenges they faced, including bullying from Ahuizotl when he was in Tambelon.

  • ...
 12
 591

The Final Exam

Ch. 6: The Final Exam

After a whole year went by, our final exams into knighthood came. We are going up against Ahuizotl and his crew, including Thorne, in the obstacle course. In it, our goal was to put our best skills to the test and work as a team as we go against monsters and traps. This test determines if we have the inner strength to become a knight…” Scorpan explains.

Scorpan’s team is made up of Catrina, Rep, and Tirek, while Ahuizotl’s team is his usual group. The two groups are at the starting line as the student body, as well as the Moochik, Torarc, and Ahuizotl’s father, Duke Coatl, watch from the stands. His father is giving him angry eyes, making him both nervous and determined to win.

Scorpan reaches his hand to wish Ahuizotl good luck.

“May the best knight-in-training win,” he says.

“I plan to, Farm Boy,” Ahuizotl says with determination.

A loud bell sounds and both groups run from the starting line. Rep shape shifts into a dragon and flies ahead, but the griffin bumps him to get him off course. Catrina casts a spell on the griffin and turned him into a nightingale.

“Lucky for him,” she says, “The spell will wear off in a couple minutes.”

****

The first obstacle is a thicket of thorns. To get through, they must use their special talents to evade the thorns without getting scratched. Ahuizotl and his gang are the first through, Thorne and the Griffin are carrying Ahuizotl and the Minotaur, much to their dismay. Scorpan and the others notice this.

“Hey! Ahuizotl’s cheating!” Rep says.

“He’s not even using his own abilities!” Tirek states.

“I have an idea,” Scorpan says, “Catrina, can you use your magic to turn the three of us into Breezies?”

“You got it, Scorpan!” Catrina says as she waves her wand and turns Tirek, Scorpan, and herself into breezies (fairy-like ponies).

Rep turns himself into a breezie using his shape-shifting power. At their small size, they fly through the thorny vines and fly past Ahuizotl and his crew.

****

They finally made it past the thorns without getting a scratch, changed back, and onward to the second obstacle: Dragon Fire Fields. In Dragon Fire Fields, geysers of fire shoot out simultaneously. Both teams have to figure out how to cross it without getting burned.

“How are we gonna get past the fire geysers?” Rep asks.

“I learned about them in class,” Scorpan says, “We just gotta time it just right. Each geyser goes off every ten seconds. We’ll count to ten on each of them and stop.”

“That’s using your head, Scorpan,” Tirek said.

The heroes run for ten seconds and then stop before the geyser ignited. They continue to repeat that pattern as Ahuizotl and his crew watch.

“They’re ahead of us! What’ll we do?” the griffin asks.

“We make sure they burn!” Ahuizotl says.

The jerks run after them.

Scorpan and his friends are about to reach the end when the Minotaur stomps on the ground, creating small earthquakes that made the heroes lose their balance and fall.

“That’s enough!” an outraged Thorne says, “This isn’t fair play, Ahuizotl!”

“Do not talk to me like that, you flying rodent!” Ahuizotl says as he grabs Thorne by the neck.

Ahuizotl and his friends run to get ahead of Scorpan’s team. Unfortunately, the small earthquakes caused fire to erupt from the cracks. Both teams are dodging the fire simultaneously. Unfortunately, Thorne is surrounded by it and the flames burned his left wing.

“Ahuizotl! Help me!” Thorne pleads.

“Sorry, but I’m not going to lose this because of a straggler,” Ahuizotl says.

“I thought we were friends!”

“You thought wrong, you foolish bat!”

Ahuizotl and his other friends leave Thorne behind, leaving him to scream as the fire got worse.

The others see that the fire is getting worse, unleashing Tirek's first survival instinct.

“We have to move now!” Tirek says.

“But we can’t leave Thorne behind!” Scorpan says.

“Scorpan’s right!” Rep says, “We have to save Thorne!”

“You guys go ahead and tell the Moochik what’s going on! I’m gonna save Thorne!”

“But Scorpan…!” Catrina is about to say.

“I’m not gonna lose my friends the way I lost my family! Go!”

Scorpan’s friends reluctantly did what Scorpan said, but Tirek stayed as Scorpan went back to get Thorne.

“Well I’m not gonna lose one who is like a brother to me,” he mumbles to himself.

****

Thorne is twinging in fear over the blazes that surround him. Then, a vine appears from the sky. He looks up and sees Scorpan holding one end of the vine tightly.

“Thorne, grab hold! I’m gonna pull you out!” he shouted.

Thorne grabs the other end of the vine and climbs up as Scorpan pulls him out.

Unfortunately for Scorpan, one of the branches of the tree falls, breaking his wing and making him and Thorne fall into the circle of fire.

“Scorpan, are you hurt?” Thorne asks out of concern.

“My wing is hurt!” Scorpan replies, “I can’t fly us out.”

“Then we’re trapped!” Thorne panics.

Scorpan suddenly hears Tirek calling him. He turns around and sees Tirek pushing a huge, old tree until it fell into the fire circle.

“Scorpan, get out of there!”

Scorpan picks Thorne up and puts him on his back. Then, he uses the tree as a bridge and gets them both out of the circle safely.

****

Back at the finish line, everyone, including Rep, Catrina, and the Moochik are eagerly awaiting.

“If they’re not here in three minutes, I’m going back there to get them,” Rep says.

They suddenly see Tirek trotting in with a hurt Scorpan and Thorne riding on his back. Torarc and the Moochik run to see the boys.

“Are you boys alright?” Torarc asks.

“I’m fine, Father, but Scorpan and Thorne have burns on their wings,” Tirek says.

Slowly and gently, Scorpan and Thorne come off of Tirek's back. Torarc and the Moochik inspect the two to see where the burns are.

"How did this happen?" the Moochik asks with concern.

“Ahuizotl is responsible!” Thorne says, “He didn’t even use his "special" abilities. He had us cheat for him! He even got Will Two Strong to cause the fire in the fields to get worse!”

“Is this true, Ahuizotl?!” Torarc angrily asks.

“That’s not all! You know how that fire that killed Scorpan’s family and destroyed his home? Ahuizotl started it by setting the crops on fire for fun.”

“You rat with wings! You helped me during-Oh NOOOO!!!” Ahuizotl screams realizing he just confessed to his crime.

“Ahuizotl, you have failed the final exams!” The Moochik says, “Scorpan and his team won because they used their abilities to help each other unlike your team. You and your friends are to report to the palace tomorrow! I will need time to come up with a proper punishment!”

"This is an outrage!" a voice yells with anger.

All head turn to see Duke Coatl walking toward them with an angry look on his face.

"Coatl? What is it about this you object?" Torarc asks.

"That is Duke Coatl to you, General. And there is plenty I object about what is happening."

"Coatl. You saw what happened. Your son and his team could have hurt or killed someone! And they just confessed to burning down the home of one of our future knights!" the Moochik reminded him.

"Scorpan is a farmer! He has no worth as a knight whatsoever! Neither are those who follow him!" Coatl angrily yells.

Those words he just said came much to the shock and gasp of everyone, except Ahuizotl, who seems proud of his father standing up for him.

"May I also remind that that is my son you aimed to punish. I am the Duke of this city, and the father of Ahuizotl, and I say his punishment does not fall through!" he orders the king.

"Coatl? You dare make that kind of command to your king in defiance of his orders?" Toarac yells with anger.

"I do not care if he is the King of Tambelon or ruler of the world! I will not allow my son to be punished just because a farmer's mud hold was burned!" Coatl responds.

"Then I'm afraid I have no choice," the Moochik voices up.

The general and duke turned to find their king looking at the duke with much dismay and disappointment. He walks over to the duke, ready to do and say something like it was something that should have been done a long time ago.

"Coatl. As King of Tambelon, I want every high authority and I to be in harmony with one another, and to work together to keep the peace in the city," the Moochik says to him.

Everyone who was watching looked at one another, wondering what was about to happen. Even Ahuizotl grew nervous with sweat as he saw what events were transpiring in front of him.

"However, since you have proven yourself as rebellious to my orders, do nothing but overlook what events of evil transpired, and dare to make your demands to your king, I will have no choice but to strip you of your title and position as Duke of Tambelon," he says to him.

After he said that, he ripped off the golden badge that represented his position. Everyone gasped to what just happened. What it was that made Ahuizotl's family so important, was taken away like it was nothing but a mothball. Ahuizotl saw it with shock and his mouth open agape. His father looks at him with scorn and anger, making the young blue beast quiver with fear to what was going to happen.

Duke Coatl, who felt like his dignity and world was ripped apart in front of his eyes, ran away like everything has turned upside down to him.

"What's going to happen to him, General?" Scorpan asks.

"We'll worry about that later," Torarc tells him.

“Right now! These young ones have celebrating!” Lord Sour’ee says, “I have been monitoring you kids all through the year, and each of you have shown qualities of the code, especially you, Scorpan. You showed courage of the heart by willing to face Ahuizotl’s bullying no matter how he scares you; You showed love for another when you forgot about your training and saved Tirek’s life; and you showed self-sacrifice for others when you were willing to save your friends from the fire even if it means risking your life and losing to Ahuizotl.”

“What about his inner strength?” Thorne asks.

“He showed that through his sense of honor and skills in leadership. You have done well, my boy. Enough to earn the Medallion of Knighthood.”

“Thank you, Lord Sour’ee!” Scorpan excitedly says.

“Don’t thank me, Scorpan. You’ve earned this honor.”

Everyone surrounds the team and congratulates them for their excellent work. All except for Ahuizotl, who is jealous of Scorpan, and angered that his family's honor has been taken away.

“He won’t live long enough to have that Medallion,” he growls as he leaves.