• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 5,969 Views, 2,919 Comments

The Silver Stars - David Silver



The former human known as Silver has attempted to throw his life away, but neither Luna nor his wife, Night Watch will tolerate this. He claims it was an impulse, but they will cure him of the deep breaks even if it means reassembling him from parts.

  • ...
47
 2,919
 5,969

PreviousChapters Next
91 - It's Full of Stars

Silver rested her head on the pillow, with a sleepy Twilight snuggled up close. Rainbow and Spike had their own beds, and were sawing logs loudly. Silver inhaled Twilight's soft scent and nestled in close, drawing a sleepy but happy murmur from her fellow alicorn before sleep brought an end to their fatigued snuggling.

Silver landed lightly on a lily in a grand pond full of other lily pads. Luna stood watching, waiting. She was not looking at Silver at first, but quickly turned when she appeared. She smiled, waving at Silver before sitting. "I had hoped you would appear. I visit for two reasons. One, I hear you and Twilight were assaulted, and wished to be certain you and she were both well?"

Silver hopped across the lily pads, soon arriving in front of Luna and sitting before the larger alicorn. "We are fine. I captured two of our attackers, slew another, and one escaped."

Luna frowned delicately. "Always one to escape. It seems almost as if destiny decided it so." She reached with a wing, brushing against Silver's side. "Do you remember, long ago, I said I favored that warrior's spirit within you, however deeply buried? That has not changed. Tell me of your victory."

Silver flushed softly, and soon found she was a he entirely, shaped as a stallion by Luna's whimsies in the dream world. "Luna, really?"

Luna smiled, "Are we not bound? I will stop if you desire it."

Silver looked himself over, standing up to do a full inspection. "I can deal with this, for a dream."

Luna poked Silver on the nose. "Was this not your dream not long ago? Have you entirely abandoned the thought of being male once more?"

Silver spread his wings wide. "But I am an alicorn, a princess."

Luna shrugged. "You have done nothing but defy expectations. Why do you so quickly dismiss the idea that you could be the first?" She leaned in. "Would you not fancy the title of Prince of the Night? We would rule side-by-side, not as student and teacher, or queen and vassal, but as king and queen... Now, tell me. Tell me of your battle, and how you proved your worth on those who thought too little of you."

Silver drew a soft breath before he began to describe the confrontation. Luna stopped him as he got to smashing small-purple against the roof of the elevator. "How did you accomplish this? Your legs are not especially powerful, as well-proportioned as they may be."

Silver tilted his head. "You too?"

"What do you mean?"

Silver began to explain how he saw magic, as a stream through the body that could be diverted, gathered, and controlled. Luna shook her head with disbelief. "When I wish to be stronger, I must push harder. None of this 'stream' business. It sounds slow and cumbersome."

Silver nodded. "It is, but it is also powerful, and it is my way. They gave me time to work it up, and I crushed him against the ceiling with it." He continued the story, but Luna interrupted again as he stunned the diamond dog with a bite.

Luna lifted a hoof. "Were you trying to kill him, as you did the pegasus mare?"

Silver shook his head. "I just wanted him out of the way a moment, and it worked. So I jumped for Twilight and knocked the ring free, and broke her horn while I was at it."

Luna winced with sympathy. "I have had my horn broken before. It is a unique agony that I wish upon nopony."

Silver continued the tale, leading up to the diamond dog's assisted suicide against her retributive barrier, and her hasty pursuit of the small unicorn. Luna seemed pleased at the description of the pegasus daring to cross the ring of fire, and the quick punishment levied for the act. When the story was over, Luna set her hooves on Silver's shoulders. "Your story inflamed me with memories of old times, when a pony's worth was measured in valor and skill, not like today. I was a fool to not face my sister and battle her to the death to keep you."

Silver cringed back. "I don't want either of you hurt."

Luna snorted. "Instead you ran away from me, fled beyond my reach and left me with a freshly-shattered heart. I should have fought her. But that is in the past." She leaned in, pulling Silver closer. "Can you love me now?"

Silver answered with a kiss, and found himself growing against her, expanding in stature to fit her needs. This was her realm, and she shaped him effortlessly, fashioning for herself an alicorn worthy of being her partner. "Luna." Luna tilted her head a little. "You know this is a fantasy. When we wake up, I will be smaller, and female."

Luna prodded Silver in the chest. "Then use that clever mind of yours. Figure out the loophole I haven't, and become my prince. Twilight will thank you as well. She does not say it, but I have seen her dreams." Silver moved to object to hearing it, but Luna would not listen, silencing him with a hoof to his snout. "We are mates, you deserve to know. She burns with the desire of a mare, and you have been sorely lacking in this regard. She has fantasized about you climbing on her instead of making her do it. She wishes to be a mare, not a stallion."

Silver shrank with guilt. "Have I been forcing her?"

"Nay." Luna snorted. "You have requested, and she has accepted. This is her responsibility. I tell you simply what she lacks the bravery to do. She is quite pleased as a mare, as I am." She tilted her head a little. "Not that the thought has not occurred to me, to take you as a stallion and make you submit to me entirely. There is some romance to be had in the thought, but I would not be true to myself." She waved a hoof. "Come now, surely you have some burning flame left in you."

Silver sat up straight with a huff. "What about Cele--"

"Do not speak of her." Luna frowned. "Not here, not now. Here we are alone, together. I will speak of us. You are a princess, act like it. What do you think?"

Silver frowned with thought. "I met many lunar ponies today. They were quite happy to meet their lunar princess. I think it would hurt many of them if I threw it aside and demanded they know me as their lunar prince instead."

Luna grit her teeth. "To think of your subjects is indeed a noble sentiment. I cannot find fault in the basic thinking, but I do believe they would adjust. Moreover, you would become inspiration double more to all males of Equestria. No longer would they be told to be quiet and accept their fate to never even dream of rulership. Even if you never use the way you find, find it, for somepony else."

Silver circled around Luna, tail swaying. "Why are you so certain I can do it?"

"Why are you so certain you can't?" Luna let him circle, eyes looking forward. "You have been nothing but constant in your ability to surprise, to innovate, and do what others say you can't do. This would be something... Your spells so far are novel, but small. This would be history in the making."

Silver hopped up on Luna from behind, and talking stopped as they coupled. Silver enjoyed the act, and thought back to his times with Celine, though it felt like ages ago. After both were sated and warmly snuggled in one another's grasp, he bit gently at her neck with his fangs. "Does it bother you that the lunar ponies seem to regard me as 'their' princess?"

Luna shook her head slowly. "Nay. You are their princess. I am their queen. Though we don't use the term aloud, I can see it in their eyes. I must depart, my prince of the night. Think on what I have said, and watch over yourself. I would not wish to hear you were injured by your lessers."

Luna was gone, and Silver surrendered to his own dreams, feeling in dire need of true sleep, but instead of finding his own dream, he found Twilight's, and fell into it to find Twilight snout-deep in a book, studying frantically. "There must be a way..."

There was a chalk board by her, covered in wild scrawled notes. Through the magic of dreams, Silver knew it was a half-formed spell meant to somehow take the essence of what made a princess and make it a prince. Was Luna telling the truth? Was this something Twilight wanted so badly? Silver approached the board and looked it over up and down before he felt his talent taking hold. A few mistakes seemed clear, and he reached out, smudging out a few things, adding a few other things. The spell 'felt' right, and Silver nodded with satisfaction before yawning widely with fatigue.

Twilight turned to the sound, but didn't see Silver. She did see the formula and squinted at it. "But... of course... Why didn't I see it before!" She awoke suddenly, and Silver was hurled onto a lily pad roughly, whimpering in pain. He slowly crawled to his hooves and dragged himself to his own dreams, managing to collapse and get the rest he desperately desired.

Silver awoke to Twilight shaking her vigorously. "Silver! Wake up! You have to see this."

Silver sat up with a sharp headache and blurry vision as a book was shoved into her view. "I had a flash of inspiration while I was asleep and, look!"

Silver shook her head a little. "I'm too tired to look. All I see are a lot of arcane symbols. Give me the short version, Twilight, please."

Twilight pouted a little, though it turned into an irritated frown. "Ugh, fine. If this works, I could maybe turn you into a stallion. I could undo what was done to you, without taking away your princesshood."

Silver tried to shake out the mugginess as she thought back. "I... oh... Are you sure it'll work?"

Twilight shrugged. "How can I know until I try? You're the only alicorn I can think of to try this on. I don't want to be a stallion, and I don't think Luna, Celestia, or Cadance is in a rush."

Silver flopped against Twilight. "Alright, well... let's think on it. We shouldn't be trying this here and now anyway. We're at a convention, not safely at home." She drew up the covers and hid under them. "Don't wake me up until it's time to go sign things."

Rainbow perked an ear. "Would that work on anypony? Is it reversible?"

Twilight snorted. "No, it's intimately bound to the way magic works in alicorns... why?"

"No reason." Rainbow looked away. "Just curious."

Twilight tilted her head at Rainbow. "There are easier ways for a mare that's not a princess."

"You don't say? Fascinating..." Rainbow affected boredom, trying to sound uninterested, but failing to throw Twilight off.

"Isn't it? Silver showed it to me, and she learned it by watching Fast Change, along with a few educated guesses and intuitive leaps."

Rainbow rolled onto her side. "Well, how would a not-unicorn do that, you know, out of curiosity..."

Twilight frowned thoughtfully. "I suppose the easiest way would be an imbued heart crystal. If the spell was put on one, then whatever mare wore it, bang."

Rainbow tapped her hooves together. "Oh, huh, that sounds kinda complicated."

Twilight shook her head. "Not at all. I could do that."

Rainbow waved a hoof at Twilight. "Nuh uh. I bet you couldn't do that, especially without your castle full of stuff."

Twilight ruffled her feathers. "I could too! Get me a heart crystal and I'll prove it to you." She puffed her chest out. "As if I need a full laboratory for a basic enchantment."

Rainbow rolled over onto her hooves and trotted towards the door. "OK, well, if you want to make yourself look silly..." She slipped out and a grin split her face. Maybe Applejack would forgive her letting Twilight go after all...

Author's Note:

And this chapter is all about mares not being mares. How did this happen? I blame typos.

PreviousChapters Next